Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dan Pitcher is new OC
Callahan and Pitcher were both wanted by outside teams which is good to see. Obviously the success with Burrow was noted but I think the way the team and Browning played this year after Burrow went down significantly raised their stock this off season.
Here’s hoping the offense is even better this coming season. Sometimes a change can be good - hopefully they will benefit from a different voice/perspective as OC.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 10:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder if the front office knows the two #1 seeds in the playoffs this year have had a competitive advantage by hiring minority coaches and then them leaving for promotions elsewhere. Resulting in extra picks for the Ravens and Niners.

If Joe can overcome this injury and be what he was. Good chance there is a steady stream of interest in our OC every year.

Take advantage of the rules man.

This was exactly my thought.

Callahan gone, replaced by Pitcher who is likely replaced by Kragthrope? Play the game.

Meanwhile the 49ers have already locked in 8 free 3rd round picks already in 4 years from it and it's let them trade for guys like McCaffrey and not even feel the pain of lost draft picks because they keep getting more extra.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 10:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder if the front office knows the two #1 seeds in the playoffs this year have had a competitive advantage by hiring minority coaches and then them leaving for promotions elsewhere. Resulting in extra picks for the Ravens and Niners.

If Joe can overcome this injury and be what he was. Good chance there is a steady stream of interest in our OC every year.

Take advantage of the rules man.

So you are saying hire minority coaches regardless if they are the best fit to then get extra picks when they leave?? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:13 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying hire minority coaches regardless if they are the best fit to then get extra picks when they leave?? 

That's what it sounded like to me. I'd rather have the best person for the job, regardless of race.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 11:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This was exactly my thought.

Callahan gone, replaced by Pitcher who is likely replaced by Kragthrope? Play the game.

Meanwhile the 49ers have already locked in 8 free 3rd round picks already in 4 years from it and it's let them trade for guys like McCaffrey and not even feel the pain of lost draft picks because they keep getting more extra.

That is pretty insane, and it's crazy to me that's actually a rule. Too bad they didn't have extra picks for minority coaches when we had Lewis forever.
Reply/Quote
One of the Patriots reporters mentioned that New England did offer Pitcher the chance to call the plays. I'm not surprised he stayed here though. If Burrow and the team can remain healthy next season, then we should make another run and that'll definitely get him some HC interviews.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:13 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying hire minority coaches regardless if they are the best fit to then get extra picks when they leave?? 

If everything is equal. No doubt you hire the minority coach. I didn’t make the rules. If it’s close. It’s the players on the field actually playing the game. So hire the minority coach who might end up getting you draft picks. Don’t hire some jackass. But Zac is an offensive minded coach and calls the play. If there were a coaching position on this team to roll the dice and try to play the racist NFL hiring practices game and win draft picks. It would be OC. Where Burrow is the one on the field making the audibles.

Troy Walter’s won the Biletnikoff in college. Played on 4 pro teams for 8 years. Coached at six different colleges including being an OC. And is on our coaching staff. And our WRs are pretty good. Irwin an undrafted free agent has done well under him and our two rookies had good years for the circumstances, playing behind our three starters.

Burrow comes out and puts up 4,500 yards and 40 TDs and wins comeback player of the year and Troy is probably getting HC interviews next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 11:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This was exactly my thought.

I don't think that was intentional lol. Robert Saleh and Mike McDaniels both coached on the late 2000s Texans team together with Kyle Shanahan when DeMeco Ryans was playing there.  Mike McDaniels had been on Kyle Shanahan's staff for a really long time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 02:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If everything is equal. No doubt you hire the minority coach. I didn’t make the rules. If it’s close. It’s the players on the field actually playing the game. So hire the minority coach who might end up getting you draft picks. Don’t hire some jackass. But Zac is an offensive minded coach and calls the play. If there were a coaching position on this team to roll the dice and try to play the racist NFL hiring practices game and win draft picks. It would be OC. Where Burrow is the one on the field making the audibles.

Troy Walter’s won the Biletnikoff in college. Played on 4 pro teams for 8 years. Coached at six different colleges including being an OC. And is on our coaching staff. And our WRs are pretty good. Irwin an undrafted free agent has done well under him and our two rookies had good years for the circumstances, playing behind our three starters.

Burrow comes out and puts up 4,500 yards and 40 TDs and wins comeback player of the year and Troy is probably getting HC interviews next year.

So the minority coach has to leave to get the picks, right? I'd rather than pick coaches that will be here for continuity, and pick the best person regardless of skin color.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about this Dan Pitcher guy. The last Offensive Coordinator he worked under was ok but he's been on the staff of some real stinkers like Ken Zampese and Bill Lazor.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 11:16 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Rapien reported that Zac will still call the plays.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/will-zac-taylor-continue-to-call-plays

Shocking news!  Way to get the scoop James Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
We all assumed this would happen. I hope this works out. Part of me thinks this is more lazy than actually trying to evolve and improve. Part of me thinks the continuity is a good thing. We'll see. If Burrow is good with it, I’m good with it.
Reply/Quote
congrats to Dan on the Promotion looking forward to seeing how the offense changes
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 10:34 AM)Bengalion Wrote: We all assumed this would happen. I hope this works out. Part of me thinks this is more lazy than actually trying to evolve and improve. Part of me thinks the continuity is a good thing. We'll see. If Burrow is good with it, I’m good with it.

Pitcher had multiple other opportunities in front of him. Is it truly lazy to hire a coach who was viewed as a top candidate for OC by multiple different teams?  Especially one that is already well respected by his colleagues, his players, and media (dealing with media is part of the job)

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Really glad we didn’t botch this. Excited about Dan - hope he gets a shot calling plays.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 02:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Burrow comes out and puts up 4,500 yards and 40 TDs and wins comeback player of the year and Troy is probably getting HC interviews next year.

Did you mean OC interviews?

Reply/Quote
My biggest question whenever we promote from within is, did we getter better or are we just trying to maintain? As I mentioned in another thread, our offense wasn't bad but it also wasn't great. We were above average in pts/game but below average in yards/game. It just left a lot to be desired and wanting more than just "maintaining".

I really have no idea anything about Pitcher other than Joe seems to like him which is a huge thing. What does he bring different as an OC that he didn't bring as a QB coach? It may be ignorant but I really have no idea how much say a QB coach has in play design in practice or calls in the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 10:58 AM)pally Wrote: Pitcher had multiple other opportunities in front of him. Is it truly lazy to hire a coach who was viewed as a top candidate for OC by multiple different teams?  Especially one that is already well respected by his colleagues, his players, and media (dealing with media is part of the job)

It's fair to note that Pitcher was just a scout who never had any coaching experience outside of the Bengals. How much is he riding off of Burrow's coattails as QBC? His work with the wideouts wasn't overly impressive.

It's fair to look at his resume and note the lack of depth in his coaching experience. 

I don't think this changes the offense at all. Especially if QBC is replaced from within. We'd have less experience on the Offensive side then we had in the previous 5 years under Zac. And the Offense staff never had anyone who coordinated in the league (full time) to begin with.

Cali at least worked with a number of top qb's before coming here. He was young, but experienced.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:34 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: My biggest question whenever we promote from within is, did we getter better or are we just trying to maintain?  As I mentioned in another thread, our offense wasn't bad but it also wasn't great.  We were above average in pts/game but below average in yards/game.  It just left a lot to be desired and wanting more than just "maintaining".

I really have no idea anything about Pitcher other than Joe seems to like him which is a huge thing.  What does he bring different as an OC that he didn't bring as a QB coach?  It may be ignorant but I really have no idea how much say a QB coach has in play design in practice or calls in the game.

it has hurt us in the past...  hopefully this will be different
Reply/Quote
Damn. Was hoping for a Bob Bratkowski reunion.  Ninja

Reply/Quote