Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dan Pitcher is new OC
(01-25-2024, 11:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn. Was hoping for a Bob Bratkowski reunion.  Ninja

Don't you blaspheme in here!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:34 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: My biggest question whenever we promote from within is, did we getter better or are we just trying to maintain? As I mentioned in another thread, our offense wasn't bad but it also wasn't great. We were above average in pts/game but below average in yards/game. It just left a lot to be desired and wanting more than just "maintaining".

I really have no idea anything about Pitcher other than Joe seems to like him which is a huge thing. What does he bring different as an OC that he didn't bring as a QB coach? It may be ignorant but I really have no idea how much say a QB coach has in play design in practice or calls in the game.

(01-25-2024, 11:35 AM)jj22 Wrote: It's fair to note that Pitcher was just a scout who never had any coaching experience outside of the Bengals. How much is he riding off of Burrow's coattails as QBC? His work with the wideouts wasn't overly impressive.

It's fair to look at his resume and note the lack of depth in his coaching experience. 

I don't think this changes the offense at all. Especially if QBC is replaced from within. We'd have less experience on the Offensive side then we had in the previous 5 years under Zac. And the Offense staff never had anyone who coordinated in the league (full time) to begin with.

Cali at least worked with a number of top qb's before coming here. He was young, but experienced.

Got this from the Titans site.

The Bengals offense has ranked in the top 10 in several categories each of the past three seasons: sixth in scoring (24.9), seventh in passing (250.8 yards per game), seventh in red-zone efficiency (61.5 percent), 10th in third-down percentage (41.0), and sixth in time of possession (31:00).

Here's a stat that caught me off-guard.

The Bengals finished 11th in the NFL in touchdowns per drive, per ESPN Stats & Info. A very strong finish despite having Joe Burrow healthy for five games.

Team Rankings says only the Bills & KC have done better at points per play in ‘21-‘22.

The offense shows efficiency. Few penalties. Best in the league the last several years. Nah they aren’t messing with it and why teams want some of that success
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:35 AM)jj22 Wrote: It's fair to note that Pitcher was just a scout who never had any coaching experience outside of the Bengals. How much is he riding off of Burrow's coattails as QBC? His work with the wideouts wasn't overly impressive.

I had the same thought when Eric Spoelstra became head coach of the Miami Heat. He was initially just their video coordinator and later a scout. His only coaching experience was as a coach of a local youth basketball team in Germany. He had been boxing shoes for Nike at one point. It sounded ridiculous to me. Now he is considered one of the top coaches in the history of the NBA. You never know. Apparently a lot of teams see something in Pitcher, because he had at least three other teams interested in having him be their OC.
Reply/Quote

It's fair to look at his resume and note the lack of depth in his coaching experience. 

I don't think this changes the offense at all. Especially if QBC is replaced from within. We'd have less experience on the Offensive side then we had in the previous 5 years under Zac. And the Offense staff never had anyone who coordinated in the league (full time) to begin with.

Cali at least worked with a number of top qb's before coming here. He was young, but experienced.

What work with the wideouts?  Dan was never a WR coach for the Bengals.  He was offensive assistant and then assistant QB coach and QB coach.  His only work with WRs was at SUNY Cortland, a Division 3 school.

Was he riding off of Joe's coattails?  Well, his work with Jake says otherwise.  It was the performance of the offense with Jake at QB that propelled Brian to a head coaching position.  Dan was instrumental in Jake's improvement

Does this offensive really need wholesale changes or tweaks to improve it?  Tweaks that were put on hold because Joe was hurt for 2 months.

And for those who asked, according to Zac, Dan has been deeply involved in game planning setting the offensive call sheet.  He wore a headset connected to Zac and Brian during the game.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 12:42 PM)pally Wrote: What work with the wideouts?  Dan was never a WR coach for the Bengals.  He was offensive assistant and then assistant QB coach and QB coach.  His only work with WRs was at SUNY Cortland, a Division 3 school.

Was he riding off of Joe's coattails?  Well, his work with Jake says otherwise.  It was the performance of the offense with Jake at QB that propelled Brian to a head coaching position.  Dan was instrumental in Jake's improvement

Does this offensive really need wholesale changes or tweaks to improve it?  Tweaks that were put on hold because Joe was hurt for 2 months.

And for those who asked, according to Zac, Dan has been deeply involved in game planning setting the offensive call sheet.  He wore a headset connected to Zac and Brian during the game.

Pitcher worked with the wideouts when he was an offensive assistant. It's hard to judge his work, though, because we really have no idea what he was actually doing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 12:42 PM)pally Wrote: What work with the wideouts?  Dan was never a WR coach for the Bengals.  He was offensive assistant and then assistant QB coach and QB coach.  His only work with WRs was at SUNY Cortland, a Division 3 school.

Right? I mean, how long are Burrow's coattails, because reportedly he was carrying Zac, and Callahan. and now Pitcher too?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 12:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Pitcher worked with the wideouts when he was an offensive assistant. It's hard to judge his work, though, because we really have no idea what he was actually doing. 

He probably said "Attaboy!" a lot and patted the players helmets when they jogged by.  Sarcasm Yeah
Reply/Quote
An article about Pitcher's promotion from the Bengals website: https://www.bengals.com/news/dan-pitcher-offensive-coordinator-quarterbacks-coach-promotion
Reply/Quote

very good points
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 02:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If everything is equal. No doubt you hire the minority coach. I didn’t make the rules. If it’s close. It’s the players on the field actually playing the game. So hire the minority coach who might end up getting you draft picks. Don’t hire some jackass. But Zac is an offensive minded coach and calls the play. If there were a coaching position on this team to roll the dice and try to play the racist NFL hiring practices game and win draft picks. It would be OC. Where Burrow is the one on the field making the audibles.

Troy Walter’s won the Biletnikoff in college. Played on 4 pro teams for 8 years. Coached at six different colleges including being an OC. And is on our coaching staff. And our WRs are pretty good. Irwin an undrafted free agent has done well under him and our two rookies had good years for the circumstances, playing behind our three starters.

Burrow comes out and puts up 4,500 yards and 40 TDs and wins comeback player of the year and Troy is probably getting HC interviews next year.

Your 1st post was lacking in specifics thanks for expanding .... my personal opinion is they hire the best person for the job regardless what coaching position it is, if we hire a minority and they are successful and leaves, the benefit we got from them being successful is the real pay off, not a future pick that we don't know will turn out, on the other hand we hire someone leaning on the draft pick mentality and they are not success that hurts the team worse...
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Smart play. Good chance Burrow contributes to Pitcher getting a guaranteed and high paying head coaching contract. Generations of Pitchers will have financial privilege and security.
Reply/Quote
He needs to be calling plays also. Too many stretches of absolutly no points or 1st downs. Love Zac as a Head Coach but he really is mediocre at best calling plays.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 11:16 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Rapien reported that Zac will still call the plays.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/will-zac-taylor-continue-to-call-plays

He needs to step up with Joe & tell him they're going under center a lot more. I don't like this at all.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 10:57 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: congrats to Dan on the Promotion looking forward to seeing how the offense changes

It won't.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 12:38 PM)Nepa Wrote: I had the same thought when Eric Spoelstra became head coach of the Miami Heat. He was initially just their video coordinator and later a scout. His only coaching experience was as a coach of a local youth basketball team in Germany. He had been boxing shoes for Nike at one point. It sounded ridiculous to me. Now he is considered one of the top coaches in the history of the NBA. You never know. Apparently a lot of teams see something in Pitcher, because he had at least three other teams interested in having him be their OC.
Come on Man.....without LeBron going there we would'nt have gotten any titles. Best job he did was getting the Heat to the Finals a few years ago. He's not an all time great coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 03:20 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Come on Man.....without LeBron going there we would'nt have gotten any titles. Best job he did was getting the Heat to the Finals a few years ago. He's not an all time great coach.

Lol, that's like calling Marvin Lewis an all-time great coach, because he took the Bengals to the playoffs 5 years in a row and 6 total times...  Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 12:38 PM)Nepa Wrote: I had the same thought when Eric Spoelstra became head coach of the Miami Heat. He was initially just their video coordinator and later a scout. His only coaching experience was as a coach of a local youth basketball team in Germany. He had been boxing shoes for Nike at one point. It sounded ridiculous to me. Now he is considered one of the top coaches in the history of the NBA. You never know. Apparently a lot of teams see something in Pitcher, because he had at least three other teams interested in having him be their OC.

The NFL has no secrets. They know who can coach and who can’t. One bad hire then you’re gone. Think about it. If it were you or me we’d call anybody and everybody. You can bet all the teams reached out to Joe with intermediaries and other players. They reached out to other coaches. Some fans on here give this staff a lot less respect than the rest of the league. Gonna have to win a Super Bowl to appease some of manic depressive long suffering Bengal fans.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 03:20 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Come on Man.....without LeBron going there we would'nt have gotten any titles. Best job he did was getting the Heat to the Finals a few years ago. He's not an all time great coach.

"Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra Named to Top 15 Coaches in NBA History". NBA.com."  February 8, 2022  https://www.nba.com/heat/news/pat-riley-named-nba-top-15-coaches-all-time

"Heat's Improbably Finals run proves what we already knew: Eric Spoelstra is an all-time great NBA coach."    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heats-improbable-finals-run-proves-what-we-already-knew-erik-spoelstra-is-an-all-time-great-nba-coach/

[Image: FLHTheUXIAEGfDO?format=jpg&name=small]
Reply/Quote