Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Jerimiah Top 50
(02-08-2023, 08:33 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It'll be intersting to see what happens. In all likelihood there is no Trade and we pick up the best value at our pick.

But if somehow you can flip Tee for a high pick you can pick a DE, OT, or CB high and then come back and hit the other position or go WR like you suggest.

I think they will really try to keep Tee, and since this is the last year on his rookie deal, if anyone were to offer a trade they would need to sign him to an extension, thus hurting his trade value.  If someone offered a top 15 pick, sure I would take it, but I really don't see anything near that happening.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 09:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Right. I'm not down with just picking a T because there's one there and we need one. He needs to have potential and be worthy of the spot they're drafting. 

My absolute dream scenario would be that they pick up a RT in FA and then there's a run on a couple positions in the draft and Torrence makes it to 28 and the Bengals take him and Volson could be a solid backup. THEN that would open up rd 2. It would allow Collins to come back slowly from the knee and he would be available late if something happened to whoever was starting. 

I'm literally just now dipping my toe in FA and draft stuff after not paying any attention to it at all during the season. I'm over here in the kiddie pool yelling at you guys in the deep end...

What are the chances Jawaan Taylor hits free agency and the Bengals are interested?

This is basically where I'm at.  If Broderick Jones out of Georgia is there, then I have no issues with him as the pick. Reaching for Dawand Jones or Wright?   Hell no.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 02:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: This is basically where I'm at.  If Broderick Jones out of Georgia is there, then I have no issues with him as the pick. Reaching for Dawand Jones or Wright?   Hell no.  

I'm off Dawand Jones, he simply cannot pull in the run game whatsoever. 

But I'd add Anton Harrison, for sure Darnell Wright, and Jaelyn Duncan.

Of course a younger FA would be much better but does anyone really think we do that?

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 02:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: This is basically where I'm at.  If Broderick Jones out of Georgia is there, then I have no issues with him as the pick. Reaching for Dawand Jones or Wright?   Hell no.  

(02-12-2023, 01:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm off Dawand Jones, he simply cannot pull in the run game whatsoever. 

But I'd add Anton Harrison, for sure Darnell Wright, and Jaelyn Duncan.

Of course a younger FA would be much better but does anyone really think we do that?

"Draft the player not the helmet". I've already posted several times i'm not on board with that in a vacuum. OSUs skill players hide a lot of their Oline deficiencies. I'm a solid no on Dawand Jones. 

Give me Darnell Wright all day long if they don't get a RT in FA. Fits a position of need, comes from a pass heavy offense and he's solid in the gap scheme. He has a ton of good tape against some of the best EDs in the SEC. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
______________height_____ w _____ arm _ hand wing
Darnell Wright Tennessee 6051 342 34 1/8 8 1/2 82 3/8
Dawand Jones Ohio State 6081 375 36 5/8 11 3/8 89 1/2

I'm starting to get really excited about a rookie RT
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 02:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "Draft the player not the helmet". I've already posted several times i'm not on board with that in a vacuum. OSUs skill players hide a lot of their Oline deficiencies. I'm a solid no on Dawand Jones. 

Give me Darnell Wright all day long if they don't get a RT in FA. Fits a position of need, comes from a pass heavy offense and he's solid in the gap scheme. He has a ton of good tape against some of the best EDs in the SEC. 

I wouldn't touch Wright before Day 3 for the Bengals.  

Yes, we ran more gap-power towards the end of the year last year, but an 11 base offense isn't going to want to primarily use a run scheme better suited for 12 or 21 personell. Much like after they did the midseason shift to the pin and pull a couple of years back, we will likely be back to primarily an inside/outside zone scheme at the beginning of next year.  If we're going T, it has to be a guy with scheme flexibility.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 01:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: I wouldn't touch Wright before Day 3 for the Bengals.  

Yes, we ran more gap-power towards the end of the year last year, but an 11 base offense isn't going to want to primarily use a run scheme better suited for 12 or 21 personell. Much like after they did the midseason shift to the pin and pull a couple of years back, we will likely be back to primarily an inside/outside zone scheme at the beginning of next year.  If we're going T, it has to be a guy with scheme flexibility.

The #1 priority should be passpro ability. If a guy is more run scheme flexible, but doesn't stack up in passpro, **** that. 

We've seen plenty of guys on the edge that can't run block real good. We aready know that Wright is decent in power but has only shown a flash or two in zone so that doesn't even play into the equation for me. That's where i would expect the coaches to help him improve. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 01:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: I wouldn't touch Wright before Day 3 for the Bengals.  

Wow, you must really keep up with sports.  PFF has him mocked to us in the 1st round in their post Senior Bowl mock. 

We did did way less wide zone as the season went on because we don't have wide zone linemen.  Here's a secret, we have the same linemen this year.

Day 3 for Wright is so comical, you interested in any side bets on this?

Reply/Quote

It is funny you are ok with Broderick Jones who is very athletic but is more raw with less experience (you have a ton of confidence in our oline development?), but you dont mention Anton Harrison, the best pass blocking prospect in the draft.  And you dont like Wright, lol.  Guy is bigger than Jones, athletic and several years of quality starts.

Feel free to tell Goodberry about how terrible Wright is.  PFF mocked him to us at 28 and now Goodberry says that if he tests well at the combine that we wont have a chance at him even at 28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIGK-s8SH8

Im also out on Jones.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:10 PM)Whatever Wrote: You have to stick to your board.  You can't just say best T or CB available in the 1st when there are none worth the pick.

Or you can trade the pick and fall back and get more value in positions you do need.  "Draft the best player" only works in certain instances.  If Bryce Young was somehow available at #29 he would be the best available but you dont draft him if you're the Bengals just because he was the best available.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 11:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is funny you are ok with Broderick Jones who is very athletic but is more raw with less experience (you have a ton of confidence in our oline development?), but you dont mention Anton Harrison, the best pass blocking prospect in the draft.  And you dont like Wright, lol.  Guy is bigger than Jones, athletic and several years of quality starts.

Feel free to tell Goodberry about how terrible Wright is.  PFF mocked him to us at 28 and now Goodberry says that if he tests well at the combine that we wont have a chance at him even at 28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIGK-s8SH8

Im also out on Jones.

Wright is an ok prospect for a team that's 12 and/or 21 personell base.  He's not a good prospect for a team that runs 11 base because a team that runs 11 base will need to run more zone blocking as opposed to gap.  Pollack is a wide zone disciple and zone is what Taylor wants for his offense.  

Scouting services go nuts for giant T's that can't move and only fit in gap schemes every year.  Last year, look at Faalele, who was the consensus #57 overall prospect and rose as high as #39 at one point.  Drafted #110 overall.  GM's do not spend premium draft capital on OL that lack scheme versatility.  Reason being, OL coaches come and go and with it their schemes.  

Wright struggles with speed rushers, which is a concern for a guy who would have to go against TJ Watt and Myles Garrett 2x a year.  Beyond that, his tape shows he struggles with passing off stunts, which is also bad for a guy in the AFCN with the exotic blitzes that the other clubs employ.  He's given up 8 sacks in college, so it's not exactly like the guy is an elite pass blocker, either.  And he's pretty close to topped out with limited upside.  
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 10:31 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: If you could get him for multi year 10-12M per, I'd do it. Any higher and I'd have hesitation due to upcoming contracts.

Jawaan Taylor gave up 5 sacks in 2022.  La'el Collins gave up 5 sacks in 2022.  Jawaan Taylor had a 58.7 PFF grade in 2022.  La'el Collins had a 57.9 PFF grade in 2022.   Taylor doesnt look like any kind of upgrade from Collins and costs a lot more.  I think signing Taylor would be a bad idea especially at 10-12 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:54 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Jawaan Taylor gave up 5 sacks in 2022.  La'el Collins gave up 5 sacks in 2022.  Jawaan Taylor had a 58.7 PFF grade in 2022.  La'el Collins had a 57.9 PFF grade in 2022.   Taylor doesnt look like any kind of upgrade from Collins and costs a lot more.  I think signing Taylor would be a bad idea especially at 10-12 million a year.

And Mike McGlinchey gave up more sacks and was penalized more. He also had a 71 PFF grade. I also think he wants 16+ per. Considering we need to start nicking and diming to extend our window as far as possible. Taylor also offers upside due to his youth while LC is likely going to get worst and worst with age.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that more likely would be Collins getting cut and the Bengals using the money that is freed up toward signing a different veteran RT.  Btw, I don't think that you're crazy for wanting to see Jaxon Smith-Njigba drafted by the Bengals.  He would be a fabulous compliment to Jamar Chase, bringing a Tyreek Hill sort of dimension to the offense.  Still going to need that big bodied receiver to replace Tee on those contested catches on the sideline routes, but role players with specific skill sets can be found relatively cheap (in terms of draft slot or free agent contract).

Hope so..hes very injury prone.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:54 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Jawaan Taylor gave up 5 sacks in 2022.  La'el Collins gave up 5 sacks in 2022.  Jawaan Taylor had a 58.7 PFF grade in 2022.  La'el Collins had a 57.9 PFF grade in 2022.   Taylor doesnt look like any kind of upgrade from Collins and costs a lot more.  I think signing Taylor would be a bad idea especially at 10-12 million a year.

And one of those spends a lot more time on the injured reserve list than the other one.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:45 AM)Whatever Wrote: Wright is an ok prospect for a team that's 12 and/or 21 personell base.  He's not a good prospect for a team that runs 11 base because a team that runs 11 base will need to run more zone blocking as opposed to gap.  Pollack is a wide zone disciple and zone is what Taylor wants for his offense.  

Scouting services go nuts for giant T's that can't move and only fit in gap schemes every year.  Last year, look at Faalele, who was the consensus #57 overall prospect and rose as high as #39 at one point.  Drafted #110 overall.  GM's do not spend premium draft capital on OL that lack scheme versatility.  Reason being, OL coaches come and go and with it their schemes.  

Wright struggles with speed rushers, which is a concern for a guy who would have to go against TJ Watt and Myles Garrett 2x a year.  Beyond that, his tape shows he struggles with passing off stunts, which is also bad for a guy in the AFCN with the exotic blitzes that the other clubs employ.  He's given up 8 sacks in college, so it's not exactly like the guy is an elite pass blocker, either.  And he's pretty close to topped out with limited upside.  

My biggest issue is this:

"Taylor had the highest rate of negatively graded run blocks among tackles in the NFL (22.4%)."

McGlinchey is not a great pass blocker.  Not a ton of options, you know that if Orlando Brown is the #1 guy the list isn't going to be great.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:45 AM)Whatever Wrote: Wright is an ok prospect for a team that's 12 and/or 21 personell base.  He's not a good prospect for a team that runs 11 base because a team that runs 11 base will need to run more zone blocking as opposed to gap.  Pollack is a wide zone disciple and zone is what Taylor wants for his offense.  

Apparently my initial reply was deleted....

We stopped running wide zone after the 1st Ravens game, how do you not know this?

I have some real actual working experience with scouting services....

You say "Wright struggles with speed rushers", this is comical as you are simply repeating DraftBuzz.

Wright has great use of his hands and is known as a very good mirrorer, which means he maintains face to face stance with speed and spin rushers.

You really said this, "He's given up 8 sacks in college, so it's not exactly like the guy is an elite pass blocker, either."

8 sacks in 4 years and 2,746 snaps, in the SEC!  He hasn't given up a sack in his last 19 starts. He has started on the right and the left and done well, not many guys can do that. He is also a an unanimous 1st team All SEC, he has played against the best for 4 years.

One of only a handful of linemen in 2022 with over 850 snaps and an efficiency score over 99.0.

PFF has him mocked to us at #28
Goodberry is hoping and praying he is still on the board at #28
Mike Sanataga has pushed him as a legit pick in the 1st Round.

But you insist this guy is a 4th rounder at best?

I get that this is your opinion but it is so bad it causes me to question your credibility as to any draft comments, simply because Wright is so obvious.

As to your expert opinion that Wright cannot handle speed rushers, he handled the best in the country...

Reply/Quote

Who do you like as OT prospects?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 05:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: McGlinchey is not a great pass blocker.  Not a ton of options, you know that if Orlando Brown is the #1 guy the list isn't going to be great.

I wouldn't want the Bengals to sign McGlinchey either.  He is overrated and costs too much.  Why would anyone want to pay a guy 15+ million per year when he isn't all that great in pass protection?

As far as Brown, he is much better at LT than McGlinchey at RT.   I think almost everyone would rather have Brown on the O line than McGlinchey.  That is no contest.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I wouldn't want the Bengals to sign McGlinchey either.  He is overrated and costs too much.  Why would anyone want to pay a guy 15+ million per year when he isn't all that great in pass protection?

As far as Brown, he is much better at LT than McGlinchey at RT.   I think almost everyone would rather have Brown on the O line than McGlinchey.  That is no contest.

Sure, and you are so correct about a high dollar average pass protector.  As to Brown, I have seen the nonstop complaining from KC fans all year, it was a consensus to let him go after this season.

Brown also has some red flags that I dont like.

Reply/Quote