Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Jerimiah Top 50
(02-16-2023, 10:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sure, and you are so correct about a high dollar average pass protector.  As to Brown, I have seen the nonstop complaining from KC fans all year, it was a consensus to let him go after this season.

Brown also has some red flags that I dont like.

One thing I will say about that K.C. line which obviously includes Pro Bowler Brown,  they did not give up a single sack in the Super Bowl to the team that led the NFL in sacks.  That line is very good and Brown is a big part of it. I don't know why any K.C. fan would complain about him. They should be happy they don't have Jonah Williams.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:13 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: One thing I will say about that K.C. line which obviously includes Pro Bowler Brown,  they did not give up a single sack in the Super Bowl to the team that led the NFL in sacks.  That line is very good and Brown is a big part of it.  I don't know why any K.C. fan would complain about him.  They should be happy they don't have Jonah Williams.

Isn't that due to the poor field conditions moreso than how good the OL played? I'm just taking what I read on twitter since I didn't watch the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:31 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who do you like as OT prospects?

At 29 I'd be good with Broderick Jones or Anton Harrison.  I really don't see anybody in the 2nd that I'd be pumped about, though I could probably build up some homer hope if Jaelyn Duncan was the pick.  He wouldn't be an immediate help, but I like Wanya Morris in the 3rd as a developmental RT.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:45 AM)Whatever Wrote: Wright is an ok prospect for a team that's 12 and/or 21 personell base.  He's not a good prospect for a team that runs 11 base because a team that runs 11 base will need to run more zone blocking as opposed to gap.  Pollack is a wide zone disciple and zone is what Taylor wants for his offense.  

Scouting services go nuts for giant T's that can't move and only fit in gap schemes every year.  Last year, look at Faalele, who was the consensus #57 overall prospect and rose as high as #39 at one point.  Drafted #110 overall.  GM's do not spend premium draft capital on OL that lack scheme versatility.  Reason being, OL coaches come and go and with it their schemes.  

Wright struggles with speed rushers, which is a concern for a guy who would have to go against TJ Watt and Myles Garrett 2x a year.  Beyond that, his tape shows he struggles with passing off stunts, which is also bad for a guy in the AFCN with the exotic blitzes that the other clubs employ.  He's given up 8 sacks in college, so it's not exactly like the guy is an elite pass blocker, either.  And he's pretty close to topped out with limited upside.  

No.*****.Way.

The dude is a stud.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 08:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Apparently my initial reply was deleted....

We stopped running wide zone after the 1st Ravens game, how do you not know this?

I have some real actual working experience with scouting services....

You say "Wright struggles with speed rushers", this is comical as you are simply repeating DraftBuzz.

Wright has great use of his hands and is known as a very good mirrorer, which means he maintains face to face stance with speed and spin rushers.

You really said this, "He's given up 8 sacks in college, so it's not exactly like the guy is an elite pass blocker, either."

8 sacks in 4 years and 2,746 snaps, in the SEC!  He hasn't given up a sack in his last 19 starts. He has started on the right and the left and done well, not many guys can do that. He is also a an unanimous 1st team All SEC, he has played against the best for 4 years.

One of only a handful of linemen in 2022 with over 850 snaps and an efficiency score over 99.0.

PFF has him mocked to us at #28
Goodberry is hoping and praying he is still on the board at #28
Mike Sanataga has pushed him as a legit pick in the 1st Round.

But you insist this guy is a 4th rounder at best?

I get that this is your opinion but it is so bad it causes me to question your credibility as to any draft comments, simply because Wright is so obvious.

As to your expert opinion that Wright cannot handle speed rushers, he handled the best in the country...

He's the Wright choice at 28.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sure, and you are so correct about a high dollar average pass protector.  As to Brown, I have seen the nonstop complaining from KC fans all year, it was a consensus to let him go after this season.

Brown also has some red flags that I dont like.

He gave up the most pressures for Ts this year and was top 10 last year (#6 LT). 

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: At 29 I'd be good with Broderick Jones or Anton Harrison.  I really don't see anybody in the 2nd that I'd be pumped about, though I could probably build up some homer hope if Jaelyn Duncan was the pick.  He wouldn't be an immediate help, but I like Wanya Morris in the 3rd as a developmental RT.

Jaelyn Duncan was good at senior week.  He isnt on the same tier as Wright, who you think is a 4th rounder.  That just cracks me up so much.  I could understand someone that knows just an ounce of ball saying they didnt want Wright in the 1st because they want the hometown boy, sure thing, Mayer.  But to suggest 4th round....

Jones is still a project, not as big as Wright, who is actually a skilled pass protector (not a requirement by some here).  Anton is a very good pass blocker but on the left side.  You never know how players will adjust after switching sides.  Unless you are drafting these two to start at LT this season?  

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:41 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Jaelyn Duncan was good at senior week.  He isnt on the same tier as Wright, who you think is a 4th rounder.  That just cracks me up so much.  I could understand someone that knows just an ounce of ball saying they didnt want Wright in the 1st because they want the hometown boy, sure thing, Mayer.  But to suggest 4th round....

Jones is still a project, not as big as Wright, who is actually a skilled pass protector (not a requirement by some here).  Anton is a very good pass blocker but on the left side.  You never know how players will adjust after switching sides.  Unless you are drafting these two to start at LT this season?  

Serious question, if we get Wright and shore up the right side, do you draft a LT in the 2nd/3rd (ala Ced and Fischer) or do we have to go with the following questions:

- Do we resign Jonah?
- Is Carman able to handle the LT duties? Do we extend him for depth at the very least anyways?
- Do we draft the highest available LT?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's the Wright choice at 28.

There is no such thing as a perfect pick and there is a reason Wright is still considered a second round pick with a chance to sneak into the first even after a solid Senior Bowl week.

1. It looks like he showed up a little heavier than he played in 2022. That could be an issue especially knowing the biggest interviews of his life are right now.

2. Very Limitied as a Run blocker. He will not help the already limited range of the Bengals Offensive line. It's possible he could drop down to 327 to 325 and move alot better but you know 342.

3. Although experienced and technically sound he does some really stupid stuff. Like stepping out to meet wide rushes closing space before pass setting.

4. He has never been in a real NFL offense... in fact Tennessee's offense is strange even for college. There will be a huge learning curve for every Tennessee Offensive player.

I'm not opposed to Darnell Wright. Im all for any WV boy making good and even got to talk to his HS coach last week. Bengals need a tackle If they draft Wright I hope they try to find some range at Left Guard. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:41 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Jaelyn Duncan was good at senior week.  He isnt on the same tier as Wright, who you think is a 4th rounder.  That just cracks me up so much.  I could understand someone that knows just an ounce of ball saying they didnt want Wright in the 1st because they want the hometown boy, sure thing, Mayer.  But to suggest 4th round....

I'm really not a fan of Duncan at all.  He has upside and scheme versatility, but size is a concern and he's nowhere near as good in space as his athletic profile suggests he should be.

Jones has given up 13 hurries and 2 sacks the past two years in the same conference Wright gave up 18 hurries and 3 sacks in during the same span.  And Jones played in the SEC title game and 2 rounds of the CFP this year.  Jones has a lot more upside than Wright and can play in any scheme.  
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm really not a fan of Duncan at all.  He has upside and scheme versatility, but size is a concern and he's nowhere near as good in space as his athletic profile suggests he should be.

Jones has given up 13 hurries and 2 sacks the past two years in the same conference Wright gave up 18 hurries and 3 sacks in during the same span.  And Jones played in the SEC title game and 2 rounds of the CFP this year.  Jones has a lot more upside than Wright and can play in any scheme.  

Broderick Jones is funny as hell to watch right after Paris Johnson jr lol. Johnson everything is smooth and timed right experienced technique. Broderick Jones is all over the place but he is so gifted he still wins almost every single rep. Nasty nasty streak too. If Jones stayed in school for one more year and worked on tightening down his technique he would be a top 15 pick next year... problem is in this weak OT class he could be a top 15 pick easily this year lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 12:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Broderick Jones is funny as hell to watch right after Paris Johnson jr lol. Johnson everything is smooth and timed right experienced technique. Broderick Jones is all over the place but he is so gifted he still wins almost every single rep. Nasty nasty streak too. If Jones stayed in school for one more year and worked on tightening down his technique he would be a top 15 pick next year... problem is in this weak OT class he could be a top 15 pick easily this year lol.

Definitely.  Jones is extremely raw, but it's rare to find guys with that kind of athletic upside AND that kind of a mean streak.  Often times, those incredibly athletic T types tend to play a bit soft.  Not Jones.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 11:11 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Serious question, if we get Wright and shore up the right side, do you draft a LT in the 2nd/3rd (ala Ced and Fischer) or do we have to go with the following questions:

- Do we resign Jonah?
- Is Carman able to handle the LT duties? Do we extend him for depth at the very least anyways?
- Do we draft the highest available LT?

I do not believe that LT is must have this draft.  If one is on our board at a later spot we like, sure grab him.

Cant decide to resign Jonah until we see what kind of year he has.

Carmen has 2 years left to show what he can do.  He did alleviate some of my concerns at LT, hopefully one of them can hold down the fort this season.

All I know is that Jonah is getting paid 12.6M and will have to be terrible consistently to not start at LT this season.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 12:41 PM)Synric Wrote: There is no such thing as a perfect pick and there is a reason Wright is still considered a second round pick with a chance to sneak into the first even after a solid Senior Bowl week.

1. It looks like he showed up a little heavier than he played in 2022. That could be an issue especially knowing the biggest interviews of his life are right now.

2. Very Limitied as a Run blocker. He will not help the already limited range of the Bengals Offensive line. It's possible he could drop down to 327 to 325 and move alot better but you know 342.

3. Although experienced and technically sound he does some really stupid stuff. Like stepping out to meet wide rushes closing space before pass setting.

4. He has never been in a real NFL offense... in fact Tennessee's offense is strange even for college. There will be a huge learning curve for every Tennessee Offensive player.

I'm not opposed to Darnell Wright. Im all for any WV boy making good and even got to talk to his HS coach last week. Bengals need a tackle If they draft Wright I hope they try to find some range at Left Guard. 

I don't really disagree with any of this.  Without these issues he is a sure fire mid 1st rounder. But also RT's are not usually taken in the 1st.

From what I have watched I see 3 guys that appear to be plug-n-play RT. 

Wright, who is a better pass protector than run blocker, but not on a Jawaan Taylor level of terrible run blocking.  His issues in pass protection could/should be coachable.  Obviously my favorite.

Dawaand Jones, who can look dominating on tape, but I dont see any way he gets fast enough to be able to pull whatsoever.  If you recall the Bills game, we ran a trap play and Adeniji pulled quickly and killed a guy on the 2nd level, may have been our longest run..?  With Jones, that is one of the plays we possibly would have to take out of the playbook.

Duncan, is the exact opposite of Jones, he is not nearly as dominating but is very athletic and fast.  He is 6-6 and able to put on more weight with his frame.  One concern is that he is a career, Im not looking for any experiments in Rd1, but he had some very good stints at RT at the Sr Bowl...

PFF guys, Goodberry, Sans have said publicly he's a great fit at #28.  I simply want a high tier guy that doesnt need a few years to be ready.  Let's face it, the rah rah glass eater stuff is good content but I'm still not ready to say this staff can develop a guy that isnt plug-n-play. Lastly, our oline scouting has sucked for a decade, we dont want this bunch trying to find a diamond in the rough.

I simply want guys that can come in and play at a high level consistently, our offense will never come close to its potential if we dont solidify the line with high quality players.   IMHO

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm really not a fan of Duncan at all.  He has upside and scheme versatility, but size is a concern and he's nowhere near as good in space as his athletic profile suggests he should be.

This stat is about as full of crap as any you have ever said. 

Jones has only started ONE season, he has around 1300 snaps  

Wright has played over 2700 snaps, he didnt give up a sack in his last 19 games.

Here is the same snap span (not time span)
- Jones, 13 hurries 2 sacks
- Wright, 6 hurries, 1 sack

I think Jones has a ton of upside but:
1) I want a plug-n-play RT we can trust now, I want to win this year.
2) I'm not sure I trust this staff to develop Jones to reach his potential.

Jones has a higher ceiling than almost ever tackle in the draft, but he is raw and must work on pass blocking technique.  I apologize, but I dont want a f-ing project that wont be able to step in and play immediately. I dont trust this staff's development, Jones has never played RT, and I think we are all beyond ready for this line to perform at an acceptable level.

Reply/Quote
PFF did a mock draft with every college football player draft eligible.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-all-eligible-nfl-mock-draft

It really puts in prospective alot of the position groups like OT. Only two of the 2023 OT make it into the first round Peter Skoronski at 26 and Paris Johnson at 28.

Reply/Quote
I have not heard much about Skoronski other than he may have to change positions. Wonder if he ends up being a surprise draft day faller
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 11:45 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF did a mock draft with every college football player draft eligible.

It really puts in prospective alot of the position groups like OT. Only two of the 2023 OT make it into the first round Peter Skoronski at 26 and Paris Johnson at 28.

Yeah, but that draft also has 7 QBs going in the first round.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 11:45 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF did a mock draft with every college football player draft eligible.

It really is a brutally bad T class.  
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 11:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is funny you are ok with Broderick Jones who is very athletic but is more raw with less experience (you have a ton of confidence in our oline development?), but you dont mention Anton Harrison, the best pass blocking prospect in the draft.  And you dont like Wright, lol.  Guy is bigger than Jones, athletic and several years of quality starts.

Feel free to tell Goodberry about how terrible Wright is.  PFF mocked him to us at 28 and now Goodberry says that if he tests well at the combine that we wont have a chance at him even at 28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIGK-s8SH8

Im also out on Jones.

Just bringing this back because i think there's a good chance now he won't be there at 28. Now i have to wonder, if the Bengals are interested in him, will they trade up or stay and take who's left?

Reply/Quote