Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dansby Wants To Match Tez's Drive
Mentor or teammate? Karlos Dansby just wants to match Vontaze Burfict's drive
Coley Harvey

For the majority of Karlos Dansby's career, he has been more than just a teammate. The 13-year veteran argues that since his fifth season in the NFL, others have sought out his guidance. But as the Cincinnati Bengals' newest defender, the 34-year-old outside linebacker isn't trying to reprise the role of mentor, at least not just yet. He'll only take individual Bengals youngsters like Vontaze Burfict under his wing if it's a downright necessity, and if they are receptive to him doing that.

"Vontaze Burfict is a great player and I just hope my drive can match his drive and make him better," Dansby said.

Read the full article @ ESPN.
Reply/Quote
I think this guy has ego. Wish I wouldn't have read this.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 08:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think this guy has ego. Wish I wouldn't have read this.

Sounds to me like he is saying all the right things.  Some teams like to bring in vets because they need leadership.  Dansby is just saying he does not think that is the case with the Bengals.  It would have been more of a problem if he thought he could come in and take over.

But I really don't pay much attention to what they say.  Players often know what to say, but don't let their words control their behavior.
Reply/Quote
Hoping your right fred.

Reply/Quote
I just think Rothlesburger's chances of finishing the season without injury just dropped another 30%.

Burfict, Dansby and Adam Jones are going to set the tone, I hope. If they play with fire and within the rules, this defense should top last year's.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 10:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I just think Rothlesburger's chances of finishing the season without injury just dropped another 30%.

What.... ? Dansby was in the afc north already.... So big bens chance of injury would stay the same.... Use your head.

As for being egotistical, i dont know about the whole "bengals licking their chops", but then again that was actually completely true. If you spend a year with the browns, and your career isnt ruined and you're still egotistical, youre an asset for this team. That is just strong
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 08:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think this guy has ego. Wish I wouldn't have read this.

(03-30-2016, 08:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sounds to me like he is saying all the right things.  Some teams like to bring in vets because they need leadership.  Dansby is just saying he does not think that is the case with the Bengals.  It would have been more of a problem if he thought he could come in and take over.

But I really don't pay much attention to what they say.  Players often know what to say, but don't let their words control their behavior.

That's what it sounds like to me. Like 'hey, I'm not here to be that guy who tells everyone the little things that come with experience; I'm here to compete.'
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 11:11 PM)Gohards Wrote: What.... ? Dansby was in the afc north already.... So big bens chance of injury would stay the same.... Use your head.

As for being egotistical, i dont know about the whole "bengals licking their chops", but then again that was actually completely true. If you spend a year with the browns, and your career isnt ruined and you're still egotistical, youre an asset for this team. That is just strong

I understand that logic and it makes sense. But I believe it is Burfict and Adam Jones who are going ignite Dansby's fire, not the other way around. At least Dansby has a fire to ignite and he's going to be playing behind a much better DL than he did in Cleveland.

Ya'll noticed that he mentioned the Bengals, not Pittsburgh, when released by the Browns; even though he's very much at home in a 3-4 scheme. Gotta like that.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 12:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I understand that logic and it makes sense. But I believe it is Burfict and Adam Jones who are going ignite Dansby's fire, not the other way around. At least Dansby has a fire to ignite and he's going to be playing behind a much better DL than he did in Cleveland.

Ya'll noticed that he mentioned the Bengals, not Pittsburgh, when released by the Browns; even though he's very much at home in a 3-4 scheme. Gotta like that.

He started out and played almost half of his career as a 4-3 LB though. He probably likes being in a 4-3 defense better.
Reply/Quote
I thought this was pretty funny:

Quote:"As a leader, you need to find out what's needed in a situation, and it has to be natural," Dansby said. "It can't be something that's forced. Some people do it by leading by example, and some people do it just by their play on the field..."

So, some players lead by example and other players...lead by example?
Reply/Quote

I think he just wants to go out with a winner. I saw something interesting that he's only had like one personal foul call for almost his entire career. Hopefully he can help Vontaze play a little more even keeled.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 08:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mentor or teammate? Karlos Dansby just wants to match Vontaze Burfict's drive
Coley Harvey

For the majority of Karlos Dansby's career, he has been more than just a teammate. The 13-year veteran argues that since his fifth season in the NFL, others have sought out his guidance. But as the Cincinnati Bengals' newest defender, the 34-year-old outside linebacker isn't trying to reprise the role of mentor, at least not just yet. He'll only take individual Bengals youngsters like Vontaze Burfict under his wing if it's a downright necessity, and if they are receptive to him doing that.

"Vontaze Burfict is a great player and I just hope my drive can match his drive and make him better," Dansby said.

I hope he does as well. We could use more players who play with the same drive and tenacity as Burfict. Dude might be a bonehead from time to time, but he single handedly kept us in the playoff game. Our other LB's aren't good or are unproven, so it would be nice to have a good vet LB come in and play with that same passion.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 08:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mentor or teammate? Karlos Dansby just wants to match Vontaze Burfict's drive
Coley Harvey

I still think he'll be a mentor for VB.  He's not going to come into town and state that he wants to be VBs mentor.  That's not the way to do it.  It will just happen naturally.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:38 AM)Crowe Wrote: I hope he does as well. We could use more players who play with the same drive and tenacity as Burfict. Dude might be a bonehead from time to time, but he single handedly kept us in the playoff game. Our other LB's aren't good or are unproven, so it would be nice to have a good vet LB come in and play with that same passion.

Yes, controlled passion.

With Haslett and Dansby this should only help out players like Burfict and vice versa.
Reply/Quote
I heard him in an interview with Mo Egger yesterday and he definitely has an ego...but not in a bad way. Its like he knows he is good and knows hes going to beat you out on the field. I welcome that to our defense.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 12:55 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I heard him in an interview with Mo Egger yesterday and he definitely has an ego...but not in a bad way. Its like he knows he is good and knows hes going to beat you out on the field. I welcome that to our defense.

His stats back him up. Dude has been one of the best backers in the 21st century.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 11:11 PM)Gohards Wrote: What.... ? Dansby was in the afc north already.... So big bens chance of injury would stay the same.... Use your head.

Him being on the same team as Burfict and Jones was the OP's point...
Reply/Quote

I really don't understand this comment at all.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Something that irks me is that people don't seem to be as excited about this signing as they should be.  If the guy were 10 years younger and put up numbers with the browns last year that he did than people would be losing their minds.  The guy is extremely durable and has missed a handful of games over his career.  He is a great coverage linebacker which we were lacking and is a huge upgrade at that position from last year.  He has played on multiple teams and played well... You know how rare it is to find a guy who can play for as many teams without really losing a step(its a very short list).  Injuries slow down players and he has had no serious injuries that I can remember.

We aren't talking about a washed up player and he makes the team better this year at linebacker than it was last year.  What else do you want in free agency?

Here is a video when he went to the browns.  Guy has a great understanding of the game and great confidence in himself.

and interview with mo egger http://www.espn1530.com/onair/mo-egger-9170/listen-my-interview-with-new-bengals-14550842/

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Dansby should be a great influence on Burfict. He's had 17 penalties called on him that were accepted. 17 total penalties in 12 total seasons. That's damn good for a LB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote