Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darnell wright mentally soft
(04-11-2023, 10:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This pretty much seals it for me for no OL in Rd 1.
I don't mind that he responded back (people get too bent out of shape over what people say), but you gotta be smart enough to not take the bait just a few weeks before draft time.

I was never really a Dawand Jones guy anyway. The sheer size made me nervous he could move well enough if/when asked to run some zone or stick with the speedier edge rushers who try to go around.
But when he chose not to perform agility drills at the Combine or Pro Day, it gave me belief he's afraid for people to confirm he's not agile.

Gimme CB or TE in Rd 1.

The problem is if he did availing drills, he’d be compared to ots, not players of his size, but there aren’t many…. He was a great 2 sport athlete in basketball as well. He’s got agility. I think oline definitely is in the plans. I want the twin towers at OT.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 05:12 PM)pulses Wrote: I think it'll be Banks or Forbes in round 1.

Man, Forbes has gotten tiny though. 166 lbs at the Combine? Super light.
I could see him being the pick at 28 if Banks is gone, but he'll need to get back to being around 180 lbs like he used to to give me confidence he can hold up for an entire NFL season.
He'll get broken in half at 166 lbs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 05:39 PM)Jpoore Wrote: The problem is if he did availing drills, he’d be compared to ots, not players of his size, but there aren’t many…. He was a great 2 sport athlete in basketball as well. He’s got agility. I think oline definitely is in the  plans. I want the twin towers at OT.

I get it, and we heard the same argument for Daniel Faalele last draft season.
Faalele moves well "for his size," but the reality is he's just a massive man who can't really move as well as someone who is 50-75 lbs lbs lighter.
You can do many great things at that size, but being super agile to handle smaller, speedier edge rushers or shifting laterally in the wide zone ain't one of them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 06:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Man, Forbes has gotten tiny though. 166 lbs at the Combine? Super light.
I could see him being the pick at 28 if Banks is gone, but he'll need to get back to being around 180 lbs like he used to to give me confidence he can hold up for an entire NFL season.
He'll get broken in half at 166 lbs.

Yeah he needs a good 20lbs on him easily. We get him in the gym and his nutrition down he could do it fairly quick.
Reply/Quote
This has absolutely no effect at all on if I'd draft him. None.

He dominated Anderson. Jonah is not a long term solution. I'd take him at #28 in a hearbeat (over Kancey & the best TE on the board). THEN I'd trade Jonah for whatever I could get (3rd/4th/etc) and yse that $12.6 mil to sign vet ring chasers on 1 year deals to win us a SB. Bound to be some cuts/moves after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 06:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This has absolutely no effect at all on if I'd draft him. None.

He dominated Anderson. Jonah is not a long term solution. I'd take him at #28 in a hearbeat (over Kancey & the best TE on the board). THEN I'd trade Jonah for whatever I could get (3rd/4th/etc) and yse that $12.6 mil to sign vet ring chasers on 1 year deals to win us a SB. Bound to be some cuts/moves after the draft.

Yeah, still would be happy with the pick as Wright fits what we need to a T...

Even fits the OL we already have on the team. Was just a dumb thing to say on twitter, happens to a lot of people.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 06:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This has absolutely no effect at all on if I'd draft him. None.

Tennessee's scheme helped out alot with Anderson vs Wright too. Because of Tennessee's stretched out spread out offense it forced Anderson to rush more from the inside shoulder of Wright in a 4i. Anderson is his best with space out at the 6i, 7, or 9... (Which is a huge reason you always hear people complain about scouting Big 12 Offensive Tackles.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 08:04 PM)Jpoore Wrote: So if y’all didn’t see, Darnell wright is soft mentally. Messaged a bunch of bengals personalities on twitter, telling them that to go eat a d, get a job, etc etc all because they said he’s an elite pure rt prospect but they don’t want him at LT…More fire to why I want jones. How are you that soft?

Jones is my pick unless something crazy like JSN falls to them.  They have the biggest LT, why not have the biggest (or close to it) RT?  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 06:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get it, and we heard the same argument for Daniel Faalele last draft season.
Faalele moves well "for his size," but the reality is he's just a massive man who can't really move as well as someone who is 50-75 lbs lbs lighter.
You can do many great things at that size, but being super agile to handle smaller, speedier edge rushers or shifting laterally in the wide zone ain't one of them.

Jones moves light years better than Fa'allele.  He also seems to care more about football.  I love the idea of having two OTs that just maul DEs all day.  That tends to hurt your pass rush.  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 06:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get it, and we heard the same argument for Daniel Faalele last draft season.

Falalee was nowhere near what I expect jones to be, plus falalee was a consensus mid-late day 2 pick not a first round talent… plus jones has a extra like what 9 inch wingspan than falalee had? I believe jones could handle the bendy guys. Push them out of the qb path.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 12:30 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Falalee was nowhere near what I expect jones to be, plus falalee was a consensus mid-late day 2 pick not a first round talent…  plus jones has a extra like what 9 inch wingspan than falalee had?  I believe jones could handle the bendy guys. Push them out of the qb path.

FWIW, Lance Zierlein had Faalele graded at 6.28 and has Jones graded 6.32, so he has Jones as a better prospect, but not by a ton.  

Jones being in 1st round discussion is really due to this being a weak T class, particularly depth wise, and the supposition that someone will reach for him.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 12:30 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Falalee was nowhere near what I expect jones to be, plus falalee was a consensus mid-late day 2 pick not a first round talent…  plus jones has a extra like what 9 inch wingspan than falalee had?  I believe jones could handle the bendy guys. Push them out of the qb path.

I'm not saying Jones is EXACTLY the same as Faalele.
But the same things that are being pegged against Jones were the same as Faalele.
Faalele was less experienced in American football, as he came from Australia, so yes he wasn't nearly as refined as Dawand Jones is.
Faalele absolutely bombed the athletic drills at the Combine last year. While Dawand Jones may be more athletic than him, he still avoided doing those agility drills for a reason.
The size and length will help compensate for a lack of mobility, but will he still be agile enough to not get beat to guys that rush around him?
Only time will tell.

However, I do want to correct your 9" wingspan comment.
Dawand Jones - 87.875" wingspan
Daniel Faalele - 86.25" wingspan
So it's less than 2 inch difference
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Idc honestly

If he has the talent I’ll suck up a bit of immaturity
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 01:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not saying Jones is EXACTLY the same as Faalele.
But the same things that are being pegged against Jones were the same as Faalele.
Faalele was less experienced in American football, as he came from Australia, so yes he wasn't nearly as refined as Dawand Jones is.
Faalele absolutely bombed the athletic drills at the Combine last year. While Dawand Jones may be more athletic than him, he still avoided doing those agility drills for a reason.
The size and length will help compensate for a lack of mobility, but will he still be agile enough to not get beat to guys that rush around him?
Only time will tell.

However, I do want to correct your 9" wingspan comment.
Dawand Jones - 87.875" wingspan
Daniel Faalele - 86.25" wingspan
So it's less than 2 inch difference

Hmm, I must have looked at it wrong. I thought I saw 80 for fallele
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 05:39 PM)Jpoore Wrote: The problem is if he did availing drills, he’d be compared to ots, not players of his size, but there aren’t many…. He was a great 2 sport athlete in basketball as well. He’s got agility. I think oline definitely is in the  plans. I want the twin towers at OT.

The problem is that he wants to be selected to do a specific job in the NFL.  The prospective empolyers around the league are a bit leery, as most men of similar physical stature tend to be at a disadvantage verus specific types of defenders in pass protection, so the said employers just want to see how he stacks up in measurable athletic numbers versus other players with his similar frame.  Not much to ask.

His struggles against speed rushers in college is well noted.  The least he could do is work out for the scouts, weigh in and prove to the world that he's on top of his physical game, and keeping his primary source of employment in perfect working order.  His failure to do more than day 1 at the Sr. Bowl, failure to run, weigh in, do drills, etc. at the Combine and Pro Day likely cost him as much or more potential rookie contract money than had he went out and performed.

Edit: I guess that I should have stated up front that I think Dawand Jones actions/strategy leading up to the draft is as mentally soft at Darnell Wright calling people dick eaters. Both have their character flaws, one is a thick headed big-mouth, and the other is a coward afraid of being exposed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that he wants to be selected to do a specific job in the NFL.  The prospective empolyers around the league are a bit leery, as most men of similar physical stature tend to be at a disadvantage verus specific types of defenders in pass protection, so the said employers just want to see how he stacks up in measurable athletic numbers versus other players with his similar frame.  Not much to ask.

His struggles against speed rushers in college is well noted.  The least he could do is work out for the scouts, weigh in and prove to the world that he's on top of his physical game, and keeping his primary source of employment in perfect working order.  His failure to do more than day 1 at the Sr. Bowl, failure to run, weigh in, do drills, etc. at the Combine and Pro Day likely cost him as much or more potential rookie contract money than had he went out and performed.

Edit:  I guess that I should have stated up front that I think Dawand Jones actions/strategy leading up to the draft is as mentally soft at Darnell Wright calling people dick eaters.  Both have their character flaws, one is a thick headed big-mouth, and the other is a coward afraid of being exposed.

Yeah, and I will take the thick headed big mouth over the coward honestly in the first round. Both have lost some cred though.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that he wants to be selected to do a specific job in the NFL.  The prospective empolyers around the league are a bit leery, as most men of similar physical stature tend to be at a disadvantage verus specific types of defenders in pass protection, so the said employers just want to see how he stacks up in measurable athletic numbers versus other players with his similar frame.  Not much to ask.

Edit:  I guess that I should have stated up front that I think Dawand Jones actions/strategy leading up to the draft is as mentally soft at Darnell Wright calling people dick eaters.  Both have their character flaws, one is a thick headed big-mouth, and the other is a coward afraid of being exposed.

I look at them differently.
Darnell Wright did everything right (haha) up until he tweeted back.
That type of quick kneejerk reaction can make teams try to bait you into doing stupid s**t on the field like what happened with the Steelers in the 2015 playoff game.
That can be coached out though (unless you're Adam Jones haha).

Dawand Jones on the other hand really turns me away. Own your limitations, and talk with teams about how you plan to overcome them and how your strengths can help offset them. Avoiding the transparency annoys me.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
GREAT!!! So they will both will fall to the second round for sure, we can use our 1st rounder for a BPA, and then scoop up whichever OT is left!!! Awesome!
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 02:46 AM)Yogo Wrote: GREAT!!!  So they will both will fall to the second round for sure, we can use our 1st rounder for a BPA, and then scoop up whichever OT is left!!!  Awesome!

You never know...

DaWand Jones I think will most definitely fall to the 2nd Round unless we are high on him. But from everything I have heard we are high
on Wright and Harrison more than DaWand. We will see, tons of smoke and mirrors this time of year and anything can happen in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I look at them differently.
Darnell Wright did everything right (haha) up until he tweeted back.
That type of quick kneejerk reaction can make teams try to bait you into doing stupid s**t on the field like what happened with the Steelers in the 2015 playoff game.
That can be coached out though (unless you're Adam Jones haha).

Dawand Jones on the other hand really turns me away. Own your limitations, and talk with teams about how you plan to overcome them and how your strengths can help offset them. Avoiding the transparency annoys me.

Wright showed up overweight at the Senior Bowl.  In a vacuum, it's not the biggest deal, but with his Twitter outburst, I have to question his maturity and work ethic.  Those two often go hand in hand.
Reply/Quote