Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darnell wright mentally soft
(04-14-2023, 03:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: Wright showed up overweight at the Senior Bowl.  In a vacuum, it's not the biggest deal, but with his Twitter outburst, I have to question his maturity and work ethic.  Those two often go hand in hand.

What's overweight?
Sure, he showed up 342 at the Senior Bowl, but he got down to 333 in time for the Combine just a month later.
His normal playing weight in college was 335.

An increase of 5-10 lbs doesn't seem excessive to me, nor does it mean he has maturity and/or work ethic issues.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What's overweight?
Sure, he showed up 342 at the Senior Bowl, but he got down to 333 in time for the Combine just a month later.
His normal playing weight in college was 335.

An increase of 5-10 lbs doesn't seem excessive to me, nor does it mean he has maturity and/or work ethic issues.

If it was me and I was trying to to help my draft stock, I wouldn't be showing up to the Senior Bowl 7 pounds overweight.  Obviously someone thought it was an issue, or he wouldn't have cut weight before the Combine.  It's also a big deal when you consider the lack of range he displays on tape.  

On it's own, I wouldn't consider it a massive deal, but with his Twitter outburst, now we're starting to see a pattern of behavior.  I guess it depends on how much you care to overlook.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 05:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: If it was me and I was trying to to help my draft stock, I wouldn't be showing up to the Senior Bowl 7 pounds overweight.  Obviously someone thought it was an issue, or he wouldn't have cut weight before the Combine.  It's also a big deal when you consider the lack of range he displays on tape.  

On it's own, I wouldn't consider it a massive deal, but with his Twitter outburst, now we're starting to see a pattern of behavior.  I guess it depends on how much you care to overlook.

He looks to move better than Dawand Jones
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He looks to move better than Dawand Jones

Well, to be fair, a three toed sloth moves better than Dawand Jones.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He looks to move better than Dawand Jones

Not at the Senior Bowl he didn't he really struggled with his edges and recovery. His jump set still looked good though. At the Combine you could tell he buckled down and got into shape for the movement drills and looked really good. 

This would be one of Darnell's minor red flags but one of the major upside things that alot of the top tackles don't have in this draft is the progression of his tape from 4 years of playing. That reminds me of Christian Darrisaw different players but the career progression is similar. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:42 PM)Synric Wrote: Not at the Senior Bowl he didn't he really struggled with his edges and recovery. His jump set still looked good though. At the Combine you could tell he buckled down and got into shape for the movement drills and looked really good. 

This would be one of Darnell's minor red flags but one of the major upside things that alot of the top tackles don't have in this draft is the progression of his tape from 4 years of playing. That reminds me of Christian Darrisaw different players but the career progression is similar. 

I don't watch the Senior Bowl or any of the practices.
That's happening while I'm working.
I guess some value it more than the Combine because they're in pads and doing drills, but I see those All-Star Bowls being more the beginning of the draft offseason, and you got a lot of guys trying to take a bit of a break after the long college football season and actual college bowl games.
If a guy can get into shape by the Combine, it shows me they have the discipline to do in a relatively quick timespan when needed.

About Christian Darrisaw...I loved that dude coming out of college.
I don't tend to care what someone did except their last 1, maybe 2 years.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't watch the Senior Bowl or any of the practices.

For some prospects that play on inferior teams, the Senior Bowl week is everything, as far as them getting well known to the NFL community.  I don't have the time to dedicate to watching it either, but I really value the reports from how they performed.

To second bolded, that's true for the can't miss stars that are there and in the draft ASAP, but for some of the 4 and 5 year players, some of which might have had to come back from injury, the entire body of work is still important on judging who they are as a competitive player.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The reality of the entire conversation is that unless Jonah is traded, which is highly unlikely without a team running into a LT emergency because they know he is a FA in '23, he is going to be the RT in '23. He will be pushed by Carman and Ford for the starting role. Even if they take a RT high Jonah more than likely has the job unless it is flat taken from him.

I believe there are some really good RT prospects for beyond '23 or for immediate upgrade in depth for '23:

Wanya Morris
Matthew Bergeron
Tyler Steen
Carter Warren

I would be good with the selection of any of these OTs to put in the mix for depth and starting after '23.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that he wants to be selected to do a specific job in the NFL.  The prospective empolyers around the league are a bit leery, as most men of similar physical stature tend to be at a disadvantage verus specific types of defenders in pass protection, so the said employers just want to see how he stacks up in measurable athletic numbers versus other players with his similar frame.  Not much to ask.

His struggles against speed rushers in college is well noted.  The least he could do is work out for the scouts, weigh in and prove to the world that he's on top of his physical game, and keeping his primary source of employment in perfect working order.  His failure to do more than day 1 at the Sr. Bowl, failure to run, weigh in, do drills, etc. at the Combine and Pro Day likely cost him as much or more potential rookie contract money than had he went out and performed.

Edit: I guess that I should have stated up front that I think Dawand Jones actions/strategy leading up to the draft is as mentally soft at Darnell Wright calling people dick eaters. Both have their character flaws, one is a thick headed big-mouth, and the other is a coward afraid of being exposed.

Struggles against speed rushers? Where? Considering he was charged with 0 sacks, 0 qb hits, and 5 pressures. And again plenty of people don’t work out… only jones getting dinged for it.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 06:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't watch the Senior Bowl or any of the practices.
That's happening while I'm working.
I guess some value it more than the Combine because they're in pads and doing drills, but I see those All-Star Bowls being more the beginning of the draft offseason, and you got a lot of guys trying to take a bit of a break after the long college football season and actual college bowl games.
If a guy can get into shape by the Combine, it shows me they have the discipline to do in a relatively quick timespan when needed.

Combine is only about checking boxes. It does nothing more than make you go back and look to find the athleticism the testing shows. All-Star Practices has just so much more football related stuff from class rooms to contact.

(04-14-2023, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To second bolded, that's true for the can't miss stars that are there and in the draft ASAP, but for some of the 4 and 5 year players, some of which might have had to come back from injury, the entire body of work is still important on judging who they are as a competitive player.

Seeing the progression is huge for a prospect and because of how college football is now we don't get to see alot of it anymore. It used to be if a player didn't have 3 years playing they didn't declare. How many times have we seen a guy have a good year his freshman or sophomore year then regress? Alot. It happens just as much as players that progress from year to year. 

Recently we have been hearing the "dont pay attention to the Georgia players production" what we haven't discussed is their actual lack of reps to gain experience. Georgia had several 1st round players in 2022 but only a couple saw playing time and they struggled because of lack of experience. The best year one Georgia player was Nakobe Dean and he was an experienced 3 year MIKE LB.  
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For some prospects that play on inferior teams, the Senior Bowl week is everything, as far as them getting well known to the NFL community.  I don't have the time to dedicate to watching it either, but I really value the reports from how they performed.

To second bolded, that's true for the can't miss stars that are there and in the draft ASAP, but for some of the 4 and 5 year players, some of which might have had to come back from injury, the entire body of work is still important on judging who they are as a competitive player.

(04-14-2023, 11:16 PM)Synric Wrote: Combine is only about checking boxes. It does nothing more than make you go back and look to find the athleticism the testing shows. All-Star Practices has just so much more football related stuff from class rooms to contact.

Seeing the progression is huge for a prospect and because of how college football is now we don't get to see alot of it anymore. It used to be if a player didn't have 3 years playing they didn't declare. How many times have we seen a guy have a good year his freshman or sophomore year then regress? Alot. It happens just as much as players that progress from year to year. 

Recently we have been hearing the "dont pay attention to the Georgia players production" what we haven't discussed is their actual lack of reps to gain experience. Georgia had several 1st round players in 2022 but only a couple saw playing time and they struggled because of lack of experience. The best year one Georgia player was Nakobe Dean and he was an experienced 3 year MIKE LB.  

I never said I don't understand the value of the Senior Bowl for teams.
I just don't put much into someone's weight in a January bowl game.
They have months before the draft, and if they can get their weight where they need to be by the Combine/Pro Day, it shows me they can put in the effort if/when needed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A Jpoore thread where he gushes over an OSU player while taking the piss out of another because of a frivolous reason?

[Image: 3aa091f9a41ec205d13afad0a0514cb1a7-cage-...x.w250.jpg]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree with OSUfan and others that having not traded Jonah most likely puts us out of the running for a 1st round RT, and maybe even second round. They did apparently meet with Jaelyn Duncan from Maryland recently so they are at least still looking at someone. I like Wright for sure, but maybe he's a bit immature. Even if he is, I think our team chemistry and the leadership of Burrow and others could grow him up real quick.

But right now we have a lot invested at OT in general with Jonah, Collins and Brown, not too mention action JacksonCarmen who came on strong at the end. It's hard to tell what they will do. We might be ok if they dont draft a RT. Maybe Carmen and Jonah battle it out and one of them is the clear winner and it improves us overall. Maybe Collins gets healthy at some point and plays at a higher level. I personally cant rule any of it out at this point.
Reply/Quote
Is anyone else Jonah works at RT and allows us to cut Collins and just give Jonah that 3/21 M contract? We drafted him and would love to see him develop here
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 10:58 AM)Housh Wrote: Is anyone else Jonah works at RT and allows us to cut Collins and just give Jonah that 3/21 M contract? We drafted him and would love to see him develop here

If he even has a decent year, he’s gonna sign for more than mcglinchey did
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 10:58 AM)Housh Wrote: Is anyone else Jonah works at RT and allows us to cut Collins and just give Jonah that 3/21 M contract? We drafted him and would love to see him develop here

It's possible, but if I'm Jonah, I'd want more than that if I do well at RT, or I'd want an opportunity to go play on another team that'd give me chance to be LT again.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I don't see them cutting Collins this year.  Even if Jonah is traded, they still have a good situation in that they can evaluate Carman at RT early in the year and have Collins as a fallback for the stretch run if Carman struggles or there are injuries.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 03:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: Wright showed up overweight at the Senior Bowl.  In a vacuum, it's not the biggest deal, but with his Twitter outburst, I have to question his maturity and work ethic.  Those two often go hand in hand.

You had Wright as a Day 3 pick, LOLOLOL. Kiper just mocked him in the Top 10.  No recent mocks have him making it to #28.  Your assessment was terrible. I dont care about his stupid tweet and he apologized.  He would be outstanding for us.  

Reply/Quote

Why would we cut LC?  He can be great depth at OT & OG this year, as well as an inexpensive starter next season.  Cut him to save $4M?

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:55 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You had Wright as a Day 3 pick, LOLOLOL. Kiper just mocked him in the Top 10.  No recent mocks have him making it to #28.  Your assessment was terrible. I dont care about his stupid tweet and he apologized.  He would be outstanding for us.  

And?  I had a second round grade on another board consensus pick that actually did get drafted in the Top 10, Devon Bush.  Guess how that worked out?  I have never graded prospects based on where I think they will be drafted.  I grade based on how well I think they will translate to the NFL.

With Wright, you have a T that is limited in the run game.  People point to his pass pro #'s, but those are skewed because he played in a non-traditional offense that helped cover up some of his weaknesses.  Now we have maturity issues on top of it.
Reply/Quote