Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Lapham calling the game
I had to travel yesterday and listened to this buffoon on the radio. He would give a few around here a run for their money for biggest Andy homer. Most likely why he mentioned how good AJ looked and disrespected Gresh back in the day "Poor Andy, his receivers aren't trying". The other dude that calls the game with him (that dude's another story; he said something about his step-sister that made me cringe) tried to talk about how bad Andy looked the week before, but the grunting dude was having nothing to do with it.

I pity folks that have to rely on these dudes calling a game. We have to have a former Bengal that can do better than this. NYG have Bob Poppa who is also a National, why can't someone better. Hell, Bob Trumphy is still around.

FWIW: I've listened to them 2 games this year. Our only win and the game we locked up #1 overall. So maybe I should take one for the team next week and listen to these idiots so we beat the Browns.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've listened to Lap unfortunately quite a bit because I travel a lot. Talk about cringe.... The guy makes my wife laugh when he's calling games whenever he starts trying to make some real stupid analogy between a player (or a play) and something else. His clarifications are laughable and in no way ever funny when he tries to be. It's just overall cringing. No other way to describe him.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:08 AM)Takedown Wrote: I've listened to Lap unfortunately quite a bit because I travel a lot. Talk about cringe.... The guy makes my wife laugh when he's calling games whenever he starts trying to make some real stupid analogy between a player (or a play) and something else. His clarifications are laughable and in no way ever funny when he tries to be. It's just overall cringing. No other way to describe him.

The 2 idiots were all over the Dolphins at the end of overtime:

Idiot A: "Don't the stupid Dolphins know the Overtime rules!?!?!?! There's no need to run the clock down because you make the FG the game is over."

Idiot B: It's not like regulation where if they make it Cincy still gets the time left on the clock"

Idiot A: "I'm speechless (one could only wish) and this lack of knowledge of the rules"

Young Intern whispers into headset: "They're doing it in case they miss the FG"

Idiots A and B: "Oh, oh, now I see the logic...."

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The 2 idiots were all over the Dolphins at the end of overtime:

Idiot A: "Don't the stupid Dolphins know the Overtime rules!?!?!?! There's no need to run the clock down because you make the FG the game is over."

Idiot B: It's not like regulation where if they make it Cincy still gets the time left on the clock"

Idiot A: "I'm speechless (one could only wish) and this lack of knowledge of the rules"

I'm not even surprised. For what it's worth, my wife tries to understand football. So when I'm explaining a play or situation, these two ass hats make it that much harder when they contradict what I tell her. Then I have to explain that they're just that dumb.

Even TV announcers today are completely brainless it seems. I couldn't stand watching the game on TV yesterday. Or most games for that matter.

Reply/Quote
I like listening to Lap call the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I like listening to Lap call the game.

How

Reply/Quote

I agree, also we get used to announcers.. so i can understand how some might get a bit bored etc with the same type of announcing.. but as a whole he does a good job in analysis and brings some humor to the broadcast.. i don;t mind that
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:21 AM)Takedown Wrote: How

How what? I like listening to him call the game, period. I like his enthusiasm and love for the team. He may not be the best, but I find him enjoyable.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: How what? I like listening to him call the game, period. I like his enthusiasm and love for the team. He may not be the best, but I find him enjoyable.

To each their own.

Reply/Quote
I like listening to Lap.
Reply/Quote
Lap screaming, bellowing, and woo-ing all over the play by play almost sounds like some sort of parody from SNL. Nerdy sounding announcer being drowned out by a former player screaming unintelligible guttural nonsense over him. Frustrating but amusing.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The other dude that calls the game with him (that dude's another story; he said something about his step-sister that made me cringe) tried to talk about how bad Andy looked the week before, but the grunting dude was having nothing to do with it.

I pity folks that have to rely on these dudes calling a game.

That other dude is Dan Hoard, and he is a phenomenal announcer. He's UC's play-by-play announcer in both football and basketball, and has been an institution in this town for two decades. He's actually been in a Simpsons episode (as himself...look it up), and was on Letterman (part of Dave's long running Chuck Machock bit).

Lapham on the other hand is a total clown. He's an F- "color guy", who makes it near impossible to follow the game. It's actually embarrassing to have him associated with this city. I cringe of the thoughf of out of towners flipping on the radio and linking him to to this team and city. And for those that don't know, he's part of Mike's inner circle. He and the Brown family have breakfast or lunch every week, according to Mike.

Anyway, lay off Dan Hoard. Real Cincinnatians love and appreciate him. I'll forgive you for not being from here but he really is a great radio guy.
Reply/Quote

Why?
Reply/Quote
I got nothing against Lap and always respect the perspective that ex-players can bring, but there's something about Lap's voice that bothers me.

I do like Dan Hoard.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 12:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That other dude is Dan Hoard, and he is a phenomenal announcer. He's UC's play-by-play announcer in both football and basketball, and has been an institution in this town for two decades. He's actually been in a Simpsons episode (as himself...look it up), and was on Letterman (part of Dave's long running Chuck Machock bit).

Lapham on the other hand is a total clown. He's an F- "color guy", who makes it near impossible to follow the game. It's actually embarrassing to have him associated with this city. I cringe of the thoughf of out of towners flipping on the radio and linking him to to this team and city. And for those that don't know, he's part of Mike's inner circle. He and the Brown family have breakfast or lunch every week, according to Mike.

Anyway, lay off Dan Hoard. Real Cincinnatians love and appreciate him. I'll forgive you for not being from here but he really is a great radio guy.

Dude couldn't figure out why Miami was running the clock down at the end of OT.

Also Laps talking about a tie in this game would be more like kissing your step-sister and "phenomenal dude" had to inform us he has a step-sister and what the experience would be like.

I'll forgive you for thinking he is phenomenal because you're from there. 

Reply/Quote
For a bunch of fans who endlessly go on and on and on AND on about how terrible TV playcallers are and some are REALLY bad Lapham and Hoard are just fine for me to listen to. I don't have any problems with either one, but I don't have to agree with them on every play nor every rule. Hell, most games even the referees don't know the rules and the league itself changes them to suit whoever they might be trying to promote or protect from week to week. Shoot..I don't know half the rules anymore and a lot of them are stuck in rule purgatory anyway. Let's not pretend that every announcer MUST be Rhodes NFL rules scholars. If I had to choose between Lapham and some Rothsenburger nutsack licker I'm picking Lapham 100 out of 100 times.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The 2 idiots were all over the Dolphins at the end of overtime:

Ya that was brutal...It's like they thought NFL OT was just like college where the clock means nothing...Can't stand Dan Hoard either or his voice.....
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:21 AM)Takedown Wrote: How

I'd like to listen to a game where it's just his reactions and no commentary

"Urgh"

"Man"

"Go"

"Arggh"

"Yeah"

"Urgh"

"No"

"Urgh"
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Lap screaming, bellowing, and woo-ing all over the play by play almost sounds like some sort of parody from SNL.  Nerdy sounding announcer being drowned out by a former player screaming unintelligible guttural nonsense over him.  Frustrating but amusing.

Laps analysis is pretty good but he tries to be the funny guy too much and the problem is it's just not funny....Of course, after having to watch this clown team for the past 30 or so years i might have issues as well..

The classic of all classics is when Lap is down in the locker room after a loss and feels the need to lower his voice to a whisper like death just happened. I've watched funeral parlor directors in commercials be more animated...
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 12:56 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Ya that was brutal...It's like they thought NFL OT was just like college where the clock means nothing...Can't stand Dan Hoard either or his voice.....

Lap's forgotten more about football than anyone on this board has ever known. Anyone can have a brain fart....
Reply/Quote