Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
DeAngelo Williams & Fans Want Bengals Week 1
(04-23-2016, 04:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ok, he didn't dive, but his head went before his body at the last second.  If he catches that ball and doesn't whip his head around to the far side of the field, Burfict misses him completely.  Burfict was doing his best to miss him, and Brown put his head into Burfict's path at the last second, and that's why the call was bullshit.  

HA!  

Read above, look at it objectively (which is impossible for any Steelers fan, but give it a try), and tell me how Burfict committed a penalty there.

You can't go putting your head into other players' paths when they're trying to avoid hitting you and then claim "oh, he was head hunting, someone please change my tampon while I'm knocked out!"

I believe your fellow Bengal fan already addressed this.  And, unlike you, he was very objective about it.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 04:09 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I believe your fellow Bengal fan already addressed this.  And, unlike you, he was very objective about it.  

Who?  PhilHos?

Read the first part of my post and explain how that's not objective and wrong in any way.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Who?  PhilHos?

Read the first part of my post and explain how that's not objective and wrong in any way.

There is absolutely zero precedent for waving off that penalty because of the position of the receiver's head.  You're pulling stuff out of your butt that is not in the rule book, because you are incapable of accepting that it was a penalty and will eagerly accept any explanation that denies it.  And that is both the exact opposite of objective, and the epitome of wrong.  

[Image: Drops-Mic.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Honestly if Brown did in fact intentionally throw his head into Burfict's path, it's a brilliant move to draw a penalty and get 15 free yards. Obviously the end result (concussion) sucked for him, but given how awful Ben was throwing, drawing a penalty is huge and very heads up (no pun).

But I doubt Brown is that smart and he simply tried to curl up the brace for impact and the rest is history.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 05:41 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: There is absolutely zero precedent for waving off that penalty because of the position of the receiver's head.  You're pulling stuff out of your butt that is not in the rule book, because you are incapable of accepting that it was a penalty and will eagerly accept any explanation that denies it.  And that is both the exact opposite of objective, and the epitome of wrong.  

There's no precedent, but you Steelers fans can't comprehend that it's still a wrong penalty.  

Furthermore, it's not the position of his head, which I can't believe that I need to explain, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but rather that he moved his head into the path of Burfict at the last second, who was doing his best to avoid Brown.

You shouldn't be able to just put your head in the way of someone who was doing everything in his power to avoid hitting you at the last second and then be able to claim that it's his fault that his shoulder hit your helmet.  It's logic and objectivity.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 07:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There's no precedent, but you Steelers fans can't comprehend that it's still a wrong penalty.  

Furthermore, it's not the position of his head, which I can't believe that I need to explain, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but rather that he moved his head into the path of Burfict at the last second, who was doing his best to avoid Brown.

You shouldn't be able to just put your head in the way of someone who was doing everything in his power to avoid hitting you at the last second and then be able to claim that it's his fault that his shoulder hit your helmet.  It's logic and objectivity.

Aside from you, that understanding of the rules has neither been articulated nor enforced by anyone, ever.  To somehow think that it is magically authoritative because you thought of it is the antithesis of logic and objectivity.  It won't be long until more of your fellow Bengal fans start begging for you to stop embarrassing them again.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 07:40 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Aside from you, that understanding of the rules has neither been articulated nor enforced by anyone, ever.  To somehow think that it is magically authoritative because you thought of it is the antithesis of logic and objectivity.  It won't be long until more of your fellow Bengal fans start begging for you to stop embarrassing them again.  

So your logic is that a player can move his head at the last split-second so that another player, who was going to miss him completely, hits his head and it's the other player's fault?

The intelligence level of Steelers fans is mind-boggling.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 08:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So your logic is that a player can move his head at the last split-second so that another player, who was going to miss him completely, hits his head and it's the other player's fault?

My logic is that the rules are the rules, and they cannot be changed to what the fans wish them to be.  There is absolutely no stipulation in the rules that allows for what you are describing.  

You think that the refs should follow a rule stipulation that you created and only you know about.  Given this, it shouldn't be surprising that your mind is boggled by the intelligence of not just Steeler fans, but most humans.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 08:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So your logic is that a player can move his head at the last split-second so that another player, who was going to miss him completely, hits his head and it's the other player's fault?

Yes.

It is the defenders responsibility to not hit the other player in the head no matter what.

Is that "fair"?  Does it happen that sometimes the defender can do nothing about it? No and yes.

Does Burfict have a long history of making stupid plays?  Yes.

He wanted to put the big hit on, he didn't get out of the way in time and it cost his team 15 yards.  He knew it.  That is why, in HIS OWN WORDS, he and Porter were not fighting on the field, they were talking about how to play the game.

Then your boy PacMan did a PacMan thing and added 15 yards to the play.

Jumping Jebus on a pogo stick it was almost four months ago.  The Bengals screwed themselves, it is over.  

Lord!  Sometime I wish the Bengals would win a Super Bowl just so some of their mouth breathing fans would shut the hell up for a few seconds.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Lord!  Sometime I wish the Bengals would win a Super Bowl just so some of their mouth breathing fans would shut the hell up for a few seconds.

Stop fixating on my purdy mouth.
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 07:40 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote:  It won't be long until more of your fellow Bengal fans start begging for you to stop embarrassing them again.  

We've given up.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 09:54 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: My logic is that the rules are the rules, and they cannot be changed to what the fans wish them to be.  There is absolutely no stipulation in the rules that allows for what you are describing.  

You think that the refs should follow a rule stipulation that you created and only you know about.  Given this, it shouldn't be surprising that your mind is boggled by the intelligence of not just Steeler fans, but most humans.
Exactly.

Steelers fans have cannot think logically or offer any explanation other than "rules are rules."

Just because there's no stipulation in the rules, doesn't make it a good call, and you can't even argue that and you didn't even attempt to.
(04-23-2016, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes.

It is the defenders responsibility to not hit the other player in the head no matter what.

Is that "fair"?  Does it happen that sometimes the defender can do nothing about it? No and yes.

Does Burfict have a long history of making stupid plays?  Yes.

He wanted to put the big hit on, he didn't get out of the way in time and it cost his team 15 yards.  He knew it.  That is why, in HIS OWN WORDS, he and Porter were not fighting on the field, they were talking about how to play the game.

Then your boy PacMan did a PacMan thing and added 15 yards to the play.

Jumping Jebus on a pogo stick it was almost four months ago.  The Bengals screwed themselves, it is over.  

Lord!  Sometime I wish the Bengals would win a Super Bowl just so some of their mouth breathing fans would shut the hell up for a few seconds.
No.

It's the defenders responsibility to do his best to avoid hitting the receiver in the head at all costs.  The receiver can't throw his head in the way at the last split-second and claim foul.  It's FOOTBALL.

He wanted to put on the big hit and then tried to avoid hitting Brown in a split-second decision when he saw Brown didn't catch it, which he would have done had Brown not whipped his head around at the last split-second.

Then your boy Porter did a Steelers thing and committed a 15 yard penalty by being on the field illegally, but they didn't call it because the Steelers can do what they want.
(04-24-2016, 08:25 AM)Harmening Wrote: We've given up.

That's cute.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 08:47 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly.

Steelers fans have cannot think logically or offer any explanation other than "rules are rules."

Just because there's no stipulation in the rules, doesn't make it a good call, and you can't even argue that and you didn't even attempt to.

You're confused.  You can't tell the difference between a bad call and a rule you disagree with.  A call that follows the rules as written is a good call.  In this case there is nothing within the rule that states that the call shouldn't be made because of anything the receiver does with his head.  The refs are not allowed to create their own exceptions to the rules - any exception has to be accounted for in the rule itself.  So, since what happened on the field is a penalty according to how the rule is written, it was a good call.  

Now, if you feel it's a badly written rule, that's a different story.  If you feel that the rule should include a provision that prevents what you think Brown did, then you're perfectly entitled to your opinion (even though I'd probably disagree). But if that's the case, your beef is with the rules committee, not with the refs.  The refs made the call they were supposed to make according to what the rule currently is.  Period.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2016, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Lord!  Sometime I wish the Bengals would win a Super Bowl.

I always knew you were a closet Bengals fan. Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 11:41 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I always knew you were a closet Bengals fan. Mellow

In all honesty I really do like Marvin Lewis (he's local) and wouldn't mind seeing him win a championship. It would suck to have the likes of some of you ball busters rubbing it in Steelers fans faces for a year, but there are worse things, like B&B cheating their way to a fifth, or the Clowns winning one.
Reply/Quote
This is awful.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 03:09 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: This is awful.

What did you expect. Its brainless steeler fans arguing with brad.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 11:41 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I always knew you were a closet Bengals fan. Mellow

" Mellow"

I've said before that if the Steelers cannot win it I'd rather it be some team that did not.  And given 15 years on this board I'd be happy for some of the residents if the Bengals ever won a SB.  No lie.

I'm sure some would be worse that the worst yinzers but if it get them to shut the hell up about the grand conspiracy in the league to keep their favorite team from winning, even if it were for only a few seconds, it would be worth putting up with them.

Rock On
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 08:47 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's the defenders responsibility to do his best to avoid hitting the receiver in the head at all costs.  

This is correct. Unfortunately, Burfict didn't avoid hitting Brown's head. Hence the penalty WHICH WAS DESERVED of Burfict.

(04-24-2016, 08:47 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The receiver can't throw his head in the way at the last split-second and claim foul.  It's FOOTBALL.

First off, Brown never threw his head in the way at the last second. He was bracing for impact. It's very diffictul for people to go against their own body's instincts. For example, look at how many baseball players will duck to avoid getting hit in the head with a baseball. I mean, why should they duck? If they got hit, they would get a free trip to 1st base and possibly get the pitcher thrown out of the game. Yet, time and time again, batters duck out of the way. Why? 'Cause their instincts are to GET OUT OF HARM'S WAY. Brown was CLEARLY bracing for impact and was ducking his head. He in NO WAY was throwing his head in the path of Burfict.

Lastly, yes, it's "FOOTBALL", but it's also PROFESSIONAL football. There are rules that are in place. Burfict broke those rules when he hit Brown in the head. And even if, Brown somehow managed to overcome his own primal instincts for survival and threw his head in Burfict's path, according to the rules, it's still incumbent upon Burfict to avoid hitting Brow. So, even if Brown threw his head at Burfict, it is STILL a penalty on Burfict and a good call for the official to make.
Reply/Quote
I haven't seen smack this bad since I tried score some heroin in Pittsburgh...

Threw his head at Burfict... C'mon now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote