Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dear Margus
I listened to Dave Lapham's interview with Margus Hunt last night.   I was surprised how much of his accent he has lost and the amount of American slang he has picked up.  He kind of sounds like Tyler Eifert.
Reply/Quote
Let's think more clearly about Margus Hunt. Yes, he was drafted at Mike Zimmer's urging in the second round from Southern Methodist University, a school which isn't a huge college football powerhouse. How many years did Margus play at SMU?

Only one.

We've been unfair to Margus Hunt. The Bengals basically drafted a college freshman or sophomore with zero high school snaps with respect to football experience -- but Mike Zimmer's vision is better than ours. Margus is a 6'8" athletic freak who can run like a sprinter. He is just getting over playing on instinct and he's starting to use his mind on the field now. Imagine how hard it is to transition to the speed of the pro game after only one year of college, and basically as far as years of football experience go, he's just as experienced as a current rookie.

Margus is coming into his best years and he's going to be an absolute terror. Mike Zimmer started this project, Paul Guenther will complete it, and a lot of opposing quarterbacks and running backs are going to be in a whole new world of pain and frustration.

On the Jets message boards the consistent theme is something like, "Who the BLEEP is number 99?"

Now they know...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let's think more clearly about Margus Hunt.  Yes, he was drafted at Mike Zimmer's urging in the second round from Southern Methodist University, a school which isn't a huge college football powerhouse.  How many years did Margus play at SMU?  

Only one.

We've been unfair to Margus Hunt.  The Bengals basically drafted a college freshman or sophomore with zero high school snaps with respect to football experience -- but Mike Zimmer's vision is better than ours.  Margus is a 6'8" athletic freak who can run like a sprinter.  He is just getting over playing on instinct and he's starting to use his mind on the field now. Imagine how hard it is to transition to the speed of the pro game after only one year of college, and basically as far as years of football experience go, he's just as experienced as a current rookie.

Margus is coming into his best years and he's going to be an absolute terror.  Mike Zimmer started this project, Paul Guenther will complete it, and a lot of opposing quarterbacks and running backs are going to be in a whole new world of pain and frustration.

On the Jets message boards the consistent theme is something like, "Who the BLEEP is number 99?"

Now they know...

I like this post because it is a very clear observation of some very reasonable facts. People gave me crap for saying that I'm gonna wait before jumping on the "omg Hunt is the best told you all lolololz" bandwagon, because like you said he is essentially a rookie this year. Hope he continues to show that he can contribute to an NFL defense. He definitely still has a lot of work to do.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:55 PM)treee Wrote: I like this post because it is a very clear observation of some very reasonable facts. People gave me crap for saying that I'm gonna wait before jumping on the "omg Hunt is the best told you all lolololz" bandwagon, because like you said he is essentially a rookie this year. Hope he continues to show that he can contribute to an NFL defense. He definitely still has a lot of work to do.

He does have work still too do,, but confidence will breed better play... having a good game like he did should improve his mental game which in turn can improve his physical game
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let's think more clearly about Margus Hunt.  Yes, he was drafted at Mike Zimmer's urging in the second round from Southern Methodist University, a school which isn't a huge college football powerhouse.  How many years did Margus play at SMU?  

Only one.

We've been unfair to Margus Hunt.  The Bengals basically drafted a college freshman or sophomore with zero high school snaps with respect to football experience -- but Mike Zimmer's vision is better than ours.  Margus is a 6'8" athletic freak who can run like a sprinter.  He is just getting over playing on instinct and he's starting to use his mind on the field now. Imagine how hard it is to transition to the speed of the pro game after only one year of college, and basically as far as years of football experience go, he's just as experienced as a current rookie.

Margus is coming into his best years and he's going to be an absolute terror.  Mike Zimmer started this project, Paul Guenther will complete it, and a lot of opposing quarterbacks and running backs are going to be in a whole new world of pain and frustration.

Now they know...

Great post FIK as usual. Margus also had a bad back last year which can really mess a player up.

I am pretty sure everybody here has had a bad back at some time in their lives, sucks terribly bad ballz.

I always wondered why there were so many Hunt haters cause of what you say here and if he ever got it damn. Shocked

Then there was this first Preseason game this year and i gave up on him, thank God it was just Preseason and he brought it for the opener.

If Dunlap struggled against the Jets OL like he seemed to and Hunt actually played better which he seemed to this is a great sign for us as
Bengal fans cause we all know Dunlap can be the best DE in the league. Imagine the future with Hunt being equally disruptive in the rotation.
Reply/Quote