Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense has me hyped !
I know it's preseason but the number 1's absolutely shut down Tom Brady, it was truly amazing to see the speed on defense and the penetration up front. This is gonna be a good year...
Reply/Quote
I'll tell you a guy that had a good game and was very involved in two of the ints was Jalen Davis. He had tight coverage both times. One the receiver didn't catch the ball cleanly and he helped keep the ball alive. The other was a flat out tip up in the air for a Bengal to get the Int.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
The defense did everything I was hoping for they got off the field without allowing any pts and were stingy against the run. Its only preseason and I'm not to sure how good Tampa's run game is really. I know there not gonna be a shutdown defense but hopefully a big step forward this year and can keep some games manageable.

The LB Bachie seemed to be in on quite a few pass breakups so hopefully he can continue to make plays the rest of the preseason.
Reply/Quote
I didn’t see the game but from the highlights and what I am reading on here I think we have reason for optimism for the D. Only question is do we have word yet how serious Ossai’s injury is? Hopefully a sprain or non-surgical break and they can club up that arm. He seems promising.
Reply/Quote
I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from the replays it looked like the defense was noticeably faster. Can anyone confirm this? They were flying around on the replays.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:09 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from the replays it looked like the defense was noticeably faster. Can anyone confirm this? They were flying around on the replays.

Same here but followed on my ESPN AP....Ossai sounds like a beast and I just pray its not serious. I forgot about Hodge until the dude started making a bunch of plays too but its good to know he may be another gem of the edge.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:09 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from the replays it looked like the defense was noticeably faster. Can anyone confirm this? They were flying around on the replays.

They were noticeably faster to the edge and the one thing that stood out to me were how gaps were being filled properly in the run game. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I've said before several times, I think now that Lou has "his" guys that fit his system, if they stay somewhat healthy they are going to surprise some people. Even the guys just looking to make the practice squad or hook up with another team were flying around making plays. Oh, and Hendrickson had his first sac. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
You know, i'm not saying anything but i'm just gonna say...

If you all would stop talking about how one of the main things you want out of a preseason game is "no injuries", they'd be ok. Mellow

It's all on you guys. Stop it. 

It's pretty obvious that no bengals fan wants an injury during a game they play so stop saying it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They were noticeably faster to the edge and the one thing that stood out to me were how gaps were being filled properly in the run game. 

I didn't get to tune in until sometime in the second half, but from what I observed, even the bench defenders seemed sharp and tuned in to their assignments.  I'll have to watch the replay, just so I can get a look at the 1st team defense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I didn't get to tune in until sometime in the second half, but from what I observed, even the bench defenders seemed sharp and tuned in to their assignments.  I'll have to watch the replay, just so I can get a look at the 1st team defense.

Funny what happens when players buy into a system and work within it.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They were noticeably faster to the edge and the one thing that stood out to me were how gaps were being filled properly in the run game. 

[Image: bxyfdltu41e51.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: bxyfdltu41e51.jpg]

lol. That guy filled a few gaps by himself. 

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: bxyfdltu41e51.jpg]

Hey, you gon' eat yo cornbread??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hey, you gon' eat yo cornbread??

There’s gonna be consequences and repercussions! Big Grin

Reply/Quote
Stout against run was very pleasant. Probably had to do with our 3rd stringers actually playing 3rd string and not starting like last year on DL.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've said before several times, I think now that Lou has "his" guys that fit his system, if they stay somewhat healthy they are going to surprise some people. Even the guys just looking to make the practice squad or hook up with another team were flying around making plays. Oh, and Hendrickson had his first sac. Who Dey

I remember saying this a few months ago and inciting hostility for simply saying that it’s hard to determine that Lou sucks, because of the personnel he’s had to work with, and that they wouldn’t make any DC look good. Props to u for having an objective opinion. He might ultimately turn out to be unqualified, but evaluating his tenure up to this point is like timing Tyreek Hill’s 40 time in snow boots. The most promising thing I noticed from him was his adjustments against Lamar Jackson in the October meeting vs the Ravens. He used a mix of coverages , similar to what Dan Pees did against him in the Titan’s playoff win the year prior. It at least gave me some hope in terms of his ability to scheme and adjust. I’m not sure yet about Lou or Zac, but this is the season where I feel we can get a proper evaluation of them based on the personnel and going in to the pivotal 3rd year of the rebuild. (Sorry for the novella here, I tend to rant on things I feel strongly about ha )
Reply/Quote
I liked what I saw from the 1st string defense. They have to cover running backs better though (Logan Wilson got burned for a 1st down on a 3rd and 10 by Bernard).

2nd string defense wasn't good--mainly in the secondary. Need more depth there.

Loved what I saw from the dline (1st and 2nd string). 3rd string secondary made some plays, maybe we'll see some adjustments with the depth chart there.
Reply/Quote
Haven't felt this good about our D since 2015.

Lou seems to has found his guys. Good trenches is where it starts. The new DT crew is a force and Ossai and Sample
seem to be fantastic picks along with Corn Bread Shelvin lol

Bachie played great and as I expected the Secondary was awesome. Saw a few missed tackles, clean that up but
overall a great showing against the best of the best.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haven't felt this good about our D since 2015.

Lou seems to has found his guys. Good trenches is where it starts. The new DT crew is a force and Ossai and Sample
seem to be fantastic picks along with Corn Bread Shelvin lol

Bachie played great and as I expected the Secondary was awesome. Saw a few missed tackles, clean that up but
overall a great showing against the best of the best.

And, we didn't even get to see Larry Ogunjobi yet. Just wait till he's at 3T. Ends are gonna eat.
Reply/Quote