Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derrick Henry Injury
(01-20-2022, 04:29 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: It’s obvious what their game plan is.I would be surprised if they even limit Henry.The Bengals need to somehow,someway,at least keep this running game of the Titans from getting out of hand.If they do that,and jump out to an early lead,they’ll probably win the game.Just don’t make the mistake of underestimating Henry.I think he’ll be full go,and possibly carry the ball 30 times.Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

We’ve all seen deceptive techniques used in the NFL before.

(01-20-2022, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They'll probably rotate him with Foreman some and even take him out sometime in the 4th quarter, depending on lead.

(01-20-2022, 05:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'd be pretty surprised to find out the Bengals were game planning for one running back over another.  With consistency at the run game and a QB that can make some plays with his feet, I'm sure they're looking at containment and making tackles.  My nerve meter doesn't go up or down whether it's Henry or another RB starting on Saturday, the Bengals just need to make sure they're shutting down the run.

Greeting y'all from Nashville.

A few things about the Titans run game. Lots has been written about the Titans burning their star running back into the ground due to the number of carries. It's tough to say whether or not that's truth until after his career is done. But Derrick Henry has been a cyborg ever since becoming the starter and with the foot surgery, he's now a literal cyborg. Henry is a complete physical freak of nature with a ridiculous work ethic (many videos online show this). Up until this season, the only game he'd ever missed due to injury was a slightly strained hammy two seasons ago when they sat him for the second to last game versus the Saints. Then he was back in form all the way to the AFC Championship game.

So when Henry broke his foot back on Halloween early in the game (and still finished the game!!!), I will admit that the mood in Nashville was pretty bleak. Combine that with injuries we'd had up and down the lineup. That Jets loss? No A.J. Brown or Julio Jones receiving. Julio has been out more games than he played and is just now getting back to the point where he seems himself, whatever that is for an aging hall of famer. The Titans have suited up 91 different players this year, which is an NFL record and not usually associated with the team who got the #1 seed in the AFC. Good coaching can get you through the tough times.

The other thing that got us through was the GM Jon Robinson and the scouts finding Foreman and Hilliard who were on the couch when Henry went down. Both men showed the ability to hit the hole hard but the first game against New England was a fumblerooski game for both backs. The coaching staff got their form cleaned up and that hasn't been a problem anymore. Foreman has run for multiple 100 yard games and I think Hilliard has one too. Both are so good and matched for this team that the team cut their established third down back Jeremy McNichols right before the last game of the season. It wasn't that McNichols sucked....far from it. But Foreman and Hilliard were upgrades. And it allowed the Titans not to have to change their run-first offensive philosophy while we waited for the King to return. 

And when he returns (and barring a setback, he will start this game), the Titans will have one of the most dangerous running corps in the NFL. Any one of those three can break it for a big gain and if Henry breaks it, it's Good Night Irene. Even our fullback Khari Blassingame is also back off IR just in time for this game. For a Titans team that at one point had over 20 people on the weekly injury report, we're remarkably healthy right when we need it (only one player is questionable). Would we run Henry 30 times coming off a major foot injury? With Foreman and Hilliard, you don't have to.

And this is especially important for the defense, who have missed key personnel during much of the season. Just about everyone is back now save anyone on IR. And we picked up Cunningham from Houston late in the season which was a ridiculous steal for us....he should have never made it down the waiver wire that far. He's been disruptive since his first game with us.  The last time we played the Bengals the defense couldn't get off the field and a rookie Burrow carved us up. And that was the situation all season...and amazingly that team still made the playoffs. This defense is a lot better and would have better stats had we had a healthier squad.

Everyone here knows that Burrow is dangerous, especially when Chase is available. The Chase vs. Fulton game within the game will be fun to watch since both players have lined up against each other in practice since they were kids, and later at LSU on the Burrow lead championship team in 2019. But fans here are confident that this team isn't going to blow the opportunity home field brings with the #1 seed.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:22 PM)Sevenfeet Wrote: Greeting y'all from Nashville.

A few things about the Titans run game. Lots has been written about the Titans burning their star running back into the ground due to the number of carries. It's tough to say whether or not that's truth until after his career is done. But Derrick Henry has been a cyborg ever since becoming the starter and with the foot surgery, he's now a literal cyborg. Henry is a complete physical freak of nature with a ridiculous work ethic (many videos online show this). Up until this season, the only game he'd ever missed due to injury was a slightly strained hammy two seasons ago when they sat him for the second to last game versus the Saints. Then he was back in form all the way to the AFC Championship game.

So when Henry broke his foot back on Halloween early in the game (and still finished the game!!!), I will admit that the mood in Nashville was pretty bleak. Combine that with injuries we'd had up and down the lineup. That Jets loss? No A.J. Brown or Julio Jones receiving. Julio has been out more games than he played and is just now getting back to the point where he seems himself, whatever that is for an aging hall of fame. The Titans have suited up 91 different players this year, which is an NFL record and not usually associated with the team who got the #1 seed in the AFC. Good coaching can get you through the tough times.

The other thing that got us through was the GM Jon Robinson and the scouts finding Foreman and Hilliard who were on the couch when Henry went down. Both men showed the ability to hit the hole hard but the first game against New England was a fumblerooski game for both backs. The coaching staff got their form cleaned up and that hasn't been a problem anymore. Foreman has run for multiple 100 yard games and I think Hilliard has one too. Both are so good and matched for this team that the team cut their established third down back Jeremy McNichols right before the last game of the season. It wasn't that McNichols sucked....far from it. But Foreman and Hilliard were upgrades. And it allowed the Titans not to have to change their run-first offensive philosophy while we waited for the King to return. 

And when he returns (and barring a setback, he will start this game), the Titans will have one of the most dangerous running corps in the NFL. Any one of those three can break it for a big gain and if Henry breaks it, it's Good Night Irene. Even our fullback Khari Blassingame is also back off IR just in time for this game. For a Titans team that at one point had over 20 people on the weekly injury report, we're remarkably healthy right when we need it (only one player is questionable). Would we run Henry 30 times coming off a major foot injury? With Foreman and Hilliard, you don't have to.

And this is especially important for the defense, who have missed key personnel during much of the season. Just about everyone is back now save anyone on IR. And we picked up Cunningham from Houston late in the season which was a ridiculous steal for us....he should have never made it down the waiver wire that far. He's been disruptive since his first game with us.  The last time we played the Bengals the defense couldn't get off the field and a rookie Burrow carved us up. And that was the situation all season...and amazingly that team still made the playoffs. This defense is a lot better and would have better stats had we had a healthier squad.

Everyone here knows that Burrow is dangerous, especially when Chase is available. The Chase vs. Fulton game within the game will be fun to watch since both players have lined up against each other in practice since they were kids, and later at LSU on the Burrow lead championship team in 2019. But fans here are confident that this team isn't going to blow the opportunity home field brings with the #1 seed.

Nothing wrong with confidence. As long as you aren’t like KC fans who get offended if you suggest it’s possible for the opposing team to win. LOL

But yes we pointed out that it doesn’t seem to matter who is carrying the ball although long term I imagine Henry would outpace them all.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nothing wrong with confidence. As long as you aren’t like KC fans who get offended if you suggest it’s possible for the opposing team to win. LOL

But yes we pointed out that it doesn’t seem to matter who is carrying the ball although long term I imagine Henry would outpace them all.

I have a dear friend of 30 years who lives in KC and has been a die-hard Chiefs fan her whole life. You can't tell that fan base nuthin'. :)

Yes, this is the Titans team that went 12-5 and won the AFC #1 seed. The Titans team that beat the Chiefs, Bills, Colts and Rams in a 4 game sprint. And it's also the team that lost to the Jets, Houston at home and a lackluster Steelers team down the stretch. We don't have to be reminded that it is possible to lay an egg. But we tend to play up to the moment so I'm thinking they will feed off a sold-out home crowd, especially when the King is introduced.
Reply/Quote

So when Henry broke his foot back on Halloween early in the game (and still finished the game!!!), I will admit that the mood in Nashville was pretty bleak. Combine that with injuries we'd had up and down the lineup. That Jets loss? No A.J. Brown or Julio Jones receiving. Julio has been out more games than he played and is just now getting back to the point where he seems himself, whatever that is for an aging hall of famer. The Titans have suited up 91 different players this year, which is an NFL record and not usually associated with the team who got the #1 seed in the AFC. Good coaching can get you through the tough times.

Cool. A lot of confidence and you are healthier than you have been all season long since the beginning. I think it will be a 
great game that goes down to the wire. I think we start slow as we haven't played your Defense this year, our D will hold 
you to a FG early to keep it a game then you guys go up about 10-0 in the 2nd quarter and then Burrow starts to figure 
you guys out defensively and starts to pick you apart.

I picked a 35-32 Bengals victory but it could very well go the other way depending on how the turnover battle goes.

We will see, should be one of the best games of the year though that is for sure.
Reply/Quote

First of all, your user name makes me feel small as I was considering changing my name to 8 inches. But I wont do that now. Ninja . So anyway, that was a good read and it's going to be a good game. Questioning Henry is something I doubt the team will do. Your a good running team with or without Henry. Plus, that QB of yours, when he decides to run, doesn't slide and keeps pounding. Now that there could get us in trouble if we're not careful. Yet I honestly feel if we stay penalty free, the offense does their thing and our OL keeps Burrow from another surgery, you may be rooting for Cincinnati next week against the Bills. I can't wish you good luck because that would be my demise. One of Tennessee's weaknesses is the deep ball. We have the deep ball. So deep we call it the tea bagger. LOL

Really, we don't call it that, but maybe it will catch on after this game. Hit me up with your contact if your interested in betting a beer. No good luck, but take care.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 08:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, the Titans didn't due Henry's career longevity any favors this year, running him 28 or more times in 6 of his 8 games. That's an insane workload. He only averaged 2.7 ypc in his last 2 games before getting injured. 

I'm sorta a believer in running RBs into the ground, then moving on. They've clearly done alright without him. He's no scrub, but I believe they've rolled a practice squad guy out a time or two this year. I streamed him in my fantasy league, and he did just fine. Henry's gotta be coming up on 30... Right? He's been in the league since 2016ish. Of course Mixon is younger than I thought he was.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:50 PM)jason Wrote: I'm sorta a believer in running RBs into the ground, then moving on. They've clearly done alright without him. He's no scrub, but I believe they've rolled a practice squad guy out a time or two this year. I steamed him in my fantasy league, and he did just fine. Henry's gotta be coming up on 30... Right? He's been in the league since 2016ish. Of course Mixon is younger than I thought he was.

That's what a good OL will do for us, when we get one.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:50 PM)jason Wrote: I'm sorta a believer in running RBs into the ground, then moving on. They've clearly done alright without him. He's no scrub, but I believe they've rolled a practice squad guy out a time or two this year. I steamed him in my fantasy league, and he did just fine. Henry's gotta be coming up on 30... Right? He's been in the league since 2016ish. Of course Mixon is younger than I thought he was.

Fun fact....Henry's 2000+ yard rushing title effort last year came without any of his front five making the Pro Bowl or All Pro.

One other thing about Henry is that he played his first two seasons as the backup so he didn't get much mileage then. So it's possible he may last a bit longer than other backs his age.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:58 PM)Sevenfeet Wrote: Fun fact....Henry's 2000+ yard rushing title effort last year came without any of his front five making the Pro Bowl or All Pro.

One other thing about Henry is that he played his first two seasons as the backup so he didn't get much mileage then. So it's possible he may last a bit longer than other backs his age.

I said he ain't no scrub, and pro bowls be damned, he's running behind a pretty good line.... Actually it was sorta puzzling to me that he was taking a beak seat to Demarco Murray those few years. It was Murray; wasn't it?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think that just means he was hurting before the injury. Something he had for those two weeks that just got worse?

Either way, RB and career longevity doesn't really go together. By and large you pretty much need to just use them up in the short window that they're good for.

Henry is 27, so he probably only has 3 years before he falls off steep anyway.

YPC Before/After Age 31 Season
Emmitt Smith: 4.3/3.7
Walter Payton: 4.4/4.0 (2 years)
Frank Gore: 4.5/3.8
Barry Sanders: Didn't Play After 30
Adrian Peterson: 4.9/3.9
Curtis Martin: 4.1/3.3 (1 year)
L Tomlinson: 4.3/3.7 (1 year)
Jerome Bettis: 4.0/3.6 (2 years)
Eric Dickerson: 4.5/3.8 (2 years)
Tony Dorsett: 4.4/3.9

That's the top 10 rushers in NFL history, only 4 of them played past their age 33 season, and all of them fell off sharply in their 30s. The only one who managed to get at least 4.0 YPC after age 31 was Walter Payton.

I was speaking more in terms of the affect that many touches has on a RB. Henry was on pace for well over 400 carries...which would've had him join Larry Johnson, Jamal Anderson, James Wilder, Eric Dickerson and Eddie George with 400+ carries, and all did it at age 26 or 27. Those guys were all done as starters by the age of 29, except George who lasted till 30 but only averaged 3.3 ypc after the 400 carry season.
Reply/Quote

Titans have never won as the #1 seed and its gonna stay that way. No one is scared of Tennessee....You have the shittiest QB in the playoffs by far.. This ain't 2001 , IDC about pounding the rock. Tannehil isn't keeping up with Burrow..
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 07:59 PM)jason Wrote: That wasn't even really Derrick Henry... It's a trap.

[Image: e5a.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:49 PM)Tony Wrote: Titans have never won as the #1 seed and its gonna stay that way. No one is scared of Tennessee....You have the shittiest QB in the playoffs by far.. This ain't 2001 , IDC about pounding the rock. Tannehil isn't keeping up with Burrow..

Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 07:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know, was just humoring Rfaulk. There was a noticeable difference to me.

Sweet. It's always nice when you're trying to be nice and someone "humors" you. 

I'll be sure to not make that mistake again. If you guys want to live in some fantasy land, more power to you. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: First of all, your user name makes me feel small as I was considering changing my name to 8 inches. But I wont do that now. Ninja . So anyway, that was a good read and it's going to be a good game. Questioning Henry is something I doubt the team will do. Your a good running team with or without Henry. Plus, that QB of yours, when he decides to run, doesn't slide and keeps pounding. Now that there could get us in trouble if we're not careful. Yet I honestly feel if we stay penalty free, the offense does their thing and our OL keeps Burrow from another surgery, you may be rooting for Cincinnati next week against the Bills. I can't wish you good luck because that would be my demise. One of Tennessee's weaknesses is the deep ball. We have the deep ball. So deep we call it the tea bagger. LOL

Really, we don't call it that, but maybe it will catch on after this game. Hit me up with your contact if your interested in betting a beer. No good luck, but take care.

Epic post Dog. Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sweet. It's always nice when you're trying to be nice and someone "humors" you. 

I'll be sure to not make that mistake again. If you guys want to live in some fantasy land, more power to you. 

Whatever Rfaulk, love yah dude but both vids I watched showed considerable favoritism to one foot over the other...
Reply/Quote

Thank you for your well-thought out and presented post.

Someone posted Henry's speed on one of his runs this year and for 250 pounds it was stunning. Yeah, he's a freak of nature. Truly.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whatever Rfaulk, love yah dude but both vids I watched showed considerable favoritism to one foot over the other...

I'll be surprised if Henry is effective at all... Hell he might not even get north of 10 carries...
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:30 PM)Nepa Wrote: Thank you for your well-thought out and presented post.

Someone posted Henry's speed on one of his runs this year and for 250 pounds it was stunning. Yeah, he's a freak of nature. Truly.

Does your name stand for North East Pennsylvania?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:33 PM)Tony Wrote: Does your name stand for North East Pennsylvania?

Yeah, that exactly it, Northeast PA. I became a Reds fan in 1964 because my transistor radio could pick up 700 WLW at night. Transitioned to a Bengals fan as a result. 
Reply/Quote