Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diabetic Life
I know there are quite a few of us here. Figured a thread for low-carb meal ideas and other things related to the management of our sugar levels would be a decent idea. When I am on a keyboard I will throw something in here.

I would like to thank Wyche for the tip on that Kroger yogurt, picked some up this morning.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know there are quite a few of us here. Figured a thread for low-carb meal ideas and other things related to the management of our sugar levels would be a decent idea. When I am on a keyboard I will throw something in here.

I would like to thank Wyche for the tip on that Kroger yogurt, picked some up this morning.

Good deal bro!

Here's one for you:  Philly Cheesesteak stuffed green peppers.

Basically, you just mix up all of the ingredients for a killer philly, minus the peppers, and fill the hollowed out peppers and bake like a normal stuffed pepper.  They're delicious! ThumbsUp

(oh, and forgot to mention, Meijer makes a sugar free Oatmeal....apple/cinnamon and cinnamon spice.....and sometimes to make the yogurt a little more filling, I add hemp hearts to it.....also do egg beaters and turkey sausage links from time to time to mix things up. but predominantly, it's yogurt and fruit)

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How about some low carb cheesesticks?

http://www.foodiefiasco.com/healthy-mozzarella-sticks-bakedvegangrain-freepaleo/

....there are also other recipes for breadcrumbs and/or panko coated cheesesticks made just like these out there....not as low carb, but certainly MUCH more low carb than regular cheesesticks.

I can also teach you how to make a pizza with a cauliflower based crust. Magnifique!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: I can also teach you how to make a pizza with a cauliflower based crust.  Magnifique!

Hey wait, I want to learn this too.  I have to confess, I only cliked on this link to spread some Wilford Brimley-related memes but now I'm intrigued.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hey wait, I want to learn this too.  I have to confess, I only cliked on this link to spread some Wilford Brimley-related memes but now I'm intrigued.

Sure thing....my wife makes it, so I'll have to get the recipe when I get home.  We make grilled cheeses with it, and various other hot sandwiches.  You mince the cauliflower in a processor or blender, use butter, parmesean, a little garlic and onion powder for the pizza crust, and I think that's it.  You then bake it in the oven a bit to harden it, and make what you want with it.  I can't remember the time, temp, or proportions to the mixture, but that's the gist of it....

....we also use spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta, if done right, it's great!

Reply/Quote
Are there only three of us here? There must be more folks with diabetes than just us.

I eat a pretty bland diet, I don't really have any real recipes to share. Mostly salad, boneless - skinless chicken breast, and I eat a lot of mushrooms and zucchini sauteed in olive oil.

I have had amazingly high triglyceride levels in the past (3,000 +) and have to watch the fat intake as well. Recently found out that although rum lowers blood sugar, all alcohols raise triglycerides. So my doctor read me the riot act, and now I've had to cut way down on my rum and Diet Coke. Cry
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:18 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Sure thing....my wife makes it, so I'll have to get the recipe when I get home.  We make grilled cheeses with it, and various other hot sandwiches.  You mince the cauliflower in a processor or blender, use butter, parmesean, a little garlic and onion powder for the pizza crust, and I think that's it.  You then bake it in the oven a bit to harden it, and make what you want with it.  I can't remember the time, temp, or proportions to the mixture, but that's the gist of it....

....we also use spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta, if done right, it's great!

Looking forward to more info on all of this!

(12-04-2015, 06:06 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Are there only three of us here? There must be more folks with diabetes than just us.

I eat a pretty bland diet, I don't really have any real recipes to share. Mostly salad, boneless - skinless chicken breast, and I eat a lot of mushrooms and zucchini sauteed in olive oil.

I have had amazingly high triglyceride levels in the past (3,000 +) and have to watch the fat intake as well. Recently found out that although rum lowers blood sugar, all alcohols raise triglycerides. So my doctor read me the riot act, and now I've had to cut way down on my rum and Diet Coke. Cry

I have no doubt there are more than three of us, I know for certain of at least one more.

Maybe we will get you to expand your horizons on the low-carb, low-fat menu options. LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good deal bro!

Here's one for you:  Philly Cheesesteak stuffed green peppers.

Basically, you just mix up all of the ingredients for a killer philly, minus the peppers, and fill the hollowed out peppers and bake like a normal stuffed pepper.  They're delicious! ThumbsUp

Oh man, I feel like an idiot for never having tried this. I love Philly Cheesesteaks, but I've tried to get bread pretty well out of my diet the last few years, so I rarely have them any more.

But this sounds spot on.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 06:06 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Are there only three of us here?  There must be more folks with diabetes than just us.  

I eat a pretty bland diet, I don't really have any real recipes to share.  Mostly salad, boneless - skinless chicken breast, and I eat a lot of mushrooms and zucchini sauteed in olive oil.  

I have had amazingly high triglyceride levels in the past (3,000 +) and have to watch the fat intake as well.  Recently found out that although rum lowers blood sugar, all alcohols raise triglycerides.  So my doctor read me the riot act, and now I've had to cut way down on my rum and Diet Coke.   Cry

Grilled/smoked salmon is your friend.  Wild caught sockeye to be exact.....also , that imitation crab meat is fat and cholesterol free. When I went in with a blocked artery and 800+ blood glucose level , my triglycerides were over 6000.  Exercise can help lower them....and TriCor of course...lol.  I got mine down in the 70s.

Also....ground lowfat turkey is the shit....just gotta learn how to season my brother.

know of at least one other as well with diabetes....not sure if the same guy as Belsnickel knows or not.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 07:04 PM)Benton Wrote: Oh man, I feel like an idiot for never having tried this. I love Philly Cheesesteaks, but I've tried to get bread pretty well out of my diet the last few years, so I rarely have them any more.

But this sounds spot on.

Yup....they're pretty damn good.  The best way I've found is to start the peppers in the oven while browning the steak...then mix it altogether and stuff the peppers and cover with more cheese.  There are recipes online for them.

Reply/Quote
For the bread.....
1 small cauliflower head, cut into florets (should yield approximately three cups of cauliflower rice)
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
1 oz grated Parmesan
1 oz grated comté, appenzeller, or mature cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp fine sea salt.

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, rice the cauliflower florets until they are a fine crumb.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a low-medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice (about three cups) and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring continually or until soft. You want the water to evaporate as much as possible from the cauliflower without developing color. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough.
5. Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, Parmesan, comté, salt, and mix well, then spread the mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into four bread squares. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
6. Remove and let cool for ten minutes, then gently peel them off the parchment paper.

Now.....obviously, you can adjust this to make more bread...and we do.

Reply/Quote
To do the pizza crust...just use more cauliflower...add oregano and garlic powder....and onion powder if you wish....and sub mozzarella for the cheddar or aged cheese that the bread calls for.

There are also many diabetic friendly meals in the paleo diet.

Edit:....forgot the spaghetti squash.

Cook in the oven until done (you can get times and temps online). You slice it lenghtwise in half , then cook. Take a fork and rake out the fibers when it's done. I always use a couple pats of butter...a little olive oil....minced garlic...italian seasoning and mix it altogether to taste....the just pour your sauce on top and voila.....you just cut your carbs by 75% over a traditional plate of pasta! Shit looks identical to cut up spaghetti noodles. I've also done the cucumber noodles too. They're*ok*....but I'd only recommend using them in conjunction with a pesto sauce.

Reply/Quote
Loving the recipes being posted - keep 'em coming! Diet is extremely important for us, but I believe attention should be paid to the quality of the food we eat (no processed foods at all, organic, fresh or frozen fresh, etc), and how we live in general. Exercise is a biggie for sure. Mental health, as in positive attitude, perseverance, and good basic health habits.

And cheating! You gotta 'reward' yourself every once in awhile, just to stay human about it all. Just get yourself in a position where cheating doesn't compromise your established well-being.

I'm not much for supplemental vitamins, as my preference is for getting those nutrients through meal selection. However, there is one that supplement that works for me, which is Co-enzyme Q10 or CoQ10. It basically works at the molecular level in promoting healthy cellular growth, and as you age you need it more, but the body produces less of it. Something to look into IMHO. 

All of these things contribute to staying healthy while living with diabetes. I'm a 3rd generation diabetic, so far only at the type 2 level. And hopefully that's the worse it will ever be for me. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 08:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Grilled/smoked salmon is your friend.  Wild caught sockeye to be exact.....also , that imitation crab meat is fat and cholesterol free. When I went in with a blocked artery and 800+ blood glucose level , my triglycerides were over 6000.  Exercise can help lower them....and TriCor of course...lol.  I got mine down in the 70s.

Also....ground lowfat turkey is the shit....just gotta learn how to season my brother.

know of at least one other as well with diabetes....not sure if the same guy as Belsnickel knows or not.

6000+ triglycerides - 800+ glucose?   Shocked

Good lord, it's a wonder you were still kickin'.  Blocked artery to boot.

I love salmon, and don't think I've ever had ground turkey.  But I'm going to try it and experiment.  I think this thread was a great idea.  I'm getting some good info already.  Well done Mr. Belsnickel!   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 08:47 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Loving the recipes being posted - keep 'em coming! Diet is extremely important for us, but I believe attention should be paid to the quality of the food we eat (no processed foods at all, organic, fresh or frozen fresh, etc), and how we live in general. Exercise is a biggie for sure. Mental health, as in positive attitude, perseverance, and good basic health habits.

And cheating! You gotta 'reward' yourself every once in awhile, just to stay human about it all. Just get yourself in a position where cheating doesn't compromise your established well-being.

Yes....there's my buddy.  You bring up a very good point about the cheats.  My cheat is a few beers and a good cigar once a month.  I can maintain the diet when I know my reward is an evening with some good tunes...a few coldies....and a nice Padron. I eat very strictly for a week going in , and ZERO other carbs that day.  

I only cheat my diet a few times a year....mostly holidays.  Otherwise.....I'm a stickler.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 08:51 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: 6000+ triglycerides - 800+ glucose?   Shocked

Good lord, it's a wonder you were still kickin'.  Blocked artery to boot.

I love salmon, and don't think I've ever had ground turkey.  But I'm going to try it and experiment.  I think this thread was a great idea.  I'm getting some good info already.  Well done Mr. Belsnickel!   ThumbsUp

Brother.....if you only knew.....hell if I only knew ! They were amazed I was conscious....blood like gravy.  They said my heart must be remarkably strong to hve sustained no damage when I cut off the circumflex and partially blocked the right coronary artery.....at 32.

A1C was 14....Blood glucose 800+....6k + triglycerides....700+ cholesterol. Your body and liver do strange things when your blood sugar gets out of control !

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 08:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes....there's my buddy.  You bring up a very good point about the cheats.  My cheat is a few beers and a good cigar once a month.  I can maintain the diet when I know my reward is an evening with some good tunes...a few coldies....and a nice Padron. I eat very strictly for a week going in , and ZERO other carbs that day.  

I only cheat my diet a few times a year....mostly holidays.  Otherwise.....I'm a stickler.

I count carbs, using 200 grams per day as a maximum allowed. And I try to keep a range between that and 160 for each and every day, just to prevent the highs and lows. We're all different though, so I'm a little reluctant to recommend very much because some of the things that work for me might be a real problem for someone else.
I don't feel out on a limb though by saying this: avoid all processed foods, including artificial sweeteners. I'm probably preaching to the choir on stuff like this though.

Reply/Quote
So I should say that what led me to thinking more about this was my doctor appointment today. My sugar has not been good, no matter what I was eating, so I had to have some changes to my meds and I need to take a hard look at my diet and lifestyle.

Anyway, I am the cook in my household, and I love to look up new things. My cookbook collection is sizeable, and the top of my fridge is crowded with probably two dozen diabetic cook books. Problem for me is that now that I am taking classes and working full time, the time available to cook is limited and has caused my diet to slip as a result. So I figured having a bit of a diabetic community around here to talk about things and exchange ideas would be nice.

One of my quick meals that has become a staple around here uses a can of black beans (low salt), a can of tomatoes and chilis, and 2C frozen corn. The recipe this came from called for sour cream on top, I typically use a little shredded cheese. It also didn't call for any spices, but what is a dish like this without some garlic and cayenne pepper? I also like to add an onion every now and then. Bring it all to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. So simple, easy, and delicious.

I keep the ingredients for this on hand at all times just in case I don't feel like cooking when I get home.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 10:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So I should say that what led me to thinking more about this was my doctor appointment today. My sugar has not been good, no matter what I was eating, so I had to have some changes to my meds and I need to take a hard look at my diet and lifestyle.

Anyway, I am the cook in my household, and I love to look up new things. My cookbook collection is sizeable, and the top of my fridge is crowded with probably two dozen diabetic cook books. Problem for me is that now that I am taking classes and working full time, the time available to cook is limited and has caused my diet to slip as a result. So I figured having a bit of a diabetic community around here to talk about things and exchange ideas would be nice.

One of my quick meals that has become a staple around here uses a can of black beans (low salt), a can of tomatoes and chilis, and 2C frozen corn. The recipe this came from called for sour cream on top, I typically use a little shredded cheese. It also didn't call for any spices, but what is a dish like this without some garlic and cayenne pepper? I also like to add an onion every now and then. Bring it all to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. So simple, easy, and delicious.

I keep the ingredients for this on hand at all times just in case I don't feel like cooking when I get home.

Don't overlook stir fry for tasty and quick-prepared meals. It's something I do once per week, helping me to meet my two fish meals per week that I want to do. Finding 'good' seafood in my part of the world is the bigger challenge.

Also, chili is something else to consider, chicken-based and beef. It freezes well too, so there's that for convenience. Recipes are in abundance, as I'm sure you're already there, having a sizable cookbook collection. 'Quick meal variations' might be a good Google start for interesting alternatives to standard publications.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 10:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So I should say that what led me to thinking more about this was my doctor appointment today. My sugar has not been good, no matter what I was eating, so I had to have some changes to my meds and I need to take a hard look at my diet and lifestyle.

Gotta watch the corn.....too much is not good.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss.  I eat a crap ton of  salad....5 or 6 a week.  I just pack the makings to work every day and make it there.  I also do meat and cheese rollups and leftovers of course.  A wildcat says....avoid processed stuff at all costs.

Reply/Quote