Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Did Chase send a not so subtle message to Joe?
(02-16-2023, 11:57 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's going to be hard to keep Burrow, Chase, and Higgins together long term. I keep playing this scenario in my head where they cut Mixon and draft a mid round replacement and are able to keep them together. I'd say they really want to stay together.

But I have no delusions they're going to take 2/3 of what they could get elsewhere to stay here. We need help on the Oline, probably a CB, perhaps a TE and so on.

Just hoping they can make it happen.

Of course they can. Here is why:

Contract structure - rolling guarantees and bonus conversions free up cap space and lessen escrow dollars.

The cap impacts will not go into effect for 2-3 years after each signs their contract.

The contracts are all staggered.  It Tee and Joe signed extensions today, Tees would not impact us until 2025, Joe's would begin to be an issue in 2026, Chase 2027.

Finally the cap is rising at record rates, deals signed this offseason will look like bargains in 5 years. 

We can do it.

Reply/Quote
Considering how nutty the WR market is I think it will be tough. We know Burrow and Chase will probably get contracts that will make them the highest paid at their position, it's just how it works.

Higgins' situation is a little different, but he, his agent, and just about everyone under the sun knows that there will be a team willing to throw a ton of money his way to be the #1 guy for another team, and probably more money than the Bengals could/should be able to offer him. Is it possible to keep all 3? Of course. But there will have to be cuts in other places. Going to take effort from every side, players, agents and teams to make it work.

Hoping for the best, but I think Higgins takes a well deserved massive payday for another team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Higgins' agent really doesn't have a say, he will do what Higgins tells him to do, or Higgins will get a new agent. If Tee says "I'm staying in Cincinnati, so work out the best deal you can that keeps me here" that's what he has to do.

You don't hire an agent just to not listen to them. Players wanting to stay with a team, only to leave happens all the time. They pay agents for a reason. If Tee's agent get's him a 100+ million contract elsewhere then you refuse, what exactly are you paying an agent for? You don't need an agent. Negotiate your own contract with your hometown team. You think Boyd who isn't even in this conversation will tell his agent he will take vet minimum to stay just to be with Burrow, Tee, and Chase? We shouldn't even expect him to.

I think fans aren't being genuine when they think someone will turn down a significant contract or take less just because they "like" the city. Money talks and some fans around here are thinking with their heart and not their heads. 

Tee's going to play the game he loves regardless. I think it's unrealistic to think these athletes will turn down big contracts because they grew up "fans" of a team they are playing on. Even if we as fans hope they do to stick around.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:53 AM)casear2727 Wrote: So the title is more or less click bait.  I fully understand their relationships, and they arent really the closest of friends, but that doesnt matter right now. 

I simply thought Chase's initial reaction was interesting and his comment regarding "somebody will have to something" was an indication that Joe is that "somebody" and perhaps Chase already knows his intentions?  The title suggesting Chase is sending a message to Joe was in jest.

Chase wanted to live near Burrow so much that he literally went around knocking on doors on Joe’s street until he found someone who would sell him their house. I’d say they’re pretty close.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase wanted to live near Burrow so much that he literally went around knocking on doors on Joe’s street until he found someone who would sell him their house. I’d say they’re pretty close.

Lol, that story is false.  You really believe this?

Chase and Joe are friends, they love each other. But they are not besties, they dont hang out.  Burrow is a homebody, his closest friends on the team are Hubbard and Bates.  Joe actually spends more time with 2 friends he grew up with more than anyone (other than Olivia).

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, that story is false.  You really believe this?

Chase and Joe are friends, they love each other. But they are not besties, they dont hang out.  Burrow is a homebody, his closest friends on the team are Hubbard and Bates.  Joe actually spends more time with 2 friends he grew up with more than anyone (other than Olivia).

No it’s not false, and your little “insider” act is getting old. Paul Dehner Jr is the one who originally reported it on a podcast, and he’s a 100% legitimate and credible source.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it’s not false, and your little “insider” act is getting old. Paul Dehner Jr is the one who originally reported it on a podcast, and he’s a 100% legitimate and credible source.

Embarrass yourself all you want, and yes I just might have a pretty good source.

Reply/Quote
The Brown family should write up contracts where Burrow, Chase, and Tee can each secretly assign a slice of the pie to themselves and play a game of prisoner's dilemma to see which one of them cracks first or if all three really do take a paycut to attempt to win the SB even though the NFL is rigged.

Either that, or ask each guy what he wants and no matter what they say go "Oh...I must have had you mistaken for someone who wanted to leave enough cap room to build an o-line that can get us to the promised land.  My mistake...oh no no no it's ok, this is fine, I'm sure we'll be fine!"
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Embarrass yourself all you want, and yes I just might have a pretty good source.

Cool.

So you believe Paul Dehner JR, who’s been covering this team since 2009 (for 2 major outlets - The Enquirer and The Athletic) made that story up for the hell of it?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Embarrass yourself all you want

Don't mind if I do.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:53 AM)casear2727 Wrote: So the title is more or less click bait.  I fully understand their relationships, and they arent really the closest of friends, but that doesnt matter right now. 

I simply thought Chase's initial reaction was interesting and his comment regarding "somebody will have to something" was an indication that Joe is that "somebody" and perhaps Chase already knows his intentions?  The title suggesting Chase is sending a message to Joe was in jest.

I think their friendships can matter for sure when it comes to money. Chase & Joe are absolutely close close friends. This generation of athletes seem to be different people than previous to where money matters, but maybe not after a certain dollar figure.

Higgins, I don't know about, but would imagine he is close w them both. Boyd, however, stated in an interview stated his and Joe's relationship is more about business.

I took his pause as more formulating a generic way to foreshadow. Time will tell!

I do enjoy these little interviews over most of the mainstream stuff. Would have never seen it if you hadn't posted. Thanks!
Reply/Quote
Fans also have to keep in mind the rest of the roster. We want all three signed but will we then be outraged when we lose Hendrickson, Reader, Hubbard, Chido, Hilton, Sample, Ossai etc due to the amount tied up at receiver? There will be casualties somewhere do to what would be considered a luxury having paid 2 WR1's top of the market deals (instead of drafting a wideout to take one of those spots - Higgins- on a rookie contract, allowing for that 100+ million to be spread out for multiple extensions on foundation players elswhere).

Will fans accept losing core players elsewhere.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think Joe and Chase are great friends in season or at work. Most of us have friends at work that aren’t in our golf group or join us out on the weekend. Doesn’t mean they aren’t one of our closest friends .Everybody speculating there are so many variables. I personally don’t think we keep Higgins. His agent seems all about the dollar. Fix the OL Zac, Duke, and Mr. Brown. We can get by with a little less firepower if Joe has a much better OL.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cool.

So you believe Paul Dehner JR, who’s been covering this team since 2009 (for 2 major outlets - The Enquirer and The Athletic) made that story up for the hell of it?

Ok….

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:42 AM)casear2727 Wrote: As i said in a previous reply the title was a bit of click bait, but he definitely stopped himself with an immediate answer, and then he was pretty clear that "someone" who is getting a major contract would have to be helpful...  He obviously gets it.   I just wonder that if this comment and the one last week if he is already aware of Joe's intentions as it pertains to the structure of his upcoming extension.

I could see that as a possibility, he has the inside scoop.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cool.

Journalists would never....
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase wanted to live near Burrow so much that he literally went around knocking on doors on Joe’s street until he found someone who would sell him their house. I’d say they’re pretty close.

I definitely believe it. I've had that situation happened to me on several occasions. Of course it could just be because my line of work. I've done work on homes in expensive gated communities. I remember once we were doing a huge remodel and we had people stopping everyother day asking if we were the owners if the owners would sell. 

The best one though was my own property. I had bought 20 acres in Montana from my grandfather cheap. He bought it in the 60s very cheap. While I was out west on vacation we decided to stop and look at it very flat but beautiful back drop of the Rockies. Anyway apparently my 20 acres is sandwiched in between two ranches. They both came to check who I was and what I was doing on private land. When they found out I was the owner both started a bidding war right there trying to buy the land that I didnt want to sell lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cool.

(02-16-2023, 12:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't mind if I do.

(02-16-2023, 02:25 PM)Synric Wrote: I definitely believe it. I've had that situation happened to me on several occasions. Of course it could just be because my line of work. I've done work on homes in expensive gated communities. I remember once we were doing a huge remodel and we had people stopping everyother day asking if we were the owners if the owners would sell. 

The best one though was my own property. I had bought 20 acres in Montana from my grandfather cheap. He bought it in the 60s very cheap. While I was out west on vacation we decided to stop and look at it very flat but beautiful back drop of the Rockies. Anyway apparently my 20 acres is sandwiched in between two ranches. They both came to check who I was and what I was doing on private land. When they found out I was the owner both started a bidding war right there trying to buy the land that I didnt want to sell lol.

I feel bad being the bubble burster, kinda like telling your kid there is no Easter Bunny.... oh well.

Jump to 3:05, maybe you all will believe this guy?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 02:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I feel bad being the bubble burster, kinda like telling your kid there is no Easter Bunny.... oh well.

Jump to 3:05, maybe you all will believe this guy?

Yep JaMarr Said it didnt happened. I was just pointing out it it does happens alot.

I wouldnt go out on a limb and say they aren't friends. More like close work friends. They spent a month with eachother off-season from mandatory camp until training camp. Justin Jefferson was with them too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, that story is false.  You really believe this?

Chase said himself that story isn't true. I was watching a youtube video, don't recall which one it was, a couple months ago and he was asked about it and he laughed and said "nah, that ain't true". 

EDIT: Might not have been a youtube video. I'm thining it might have been one of those interviews they do for pregame shows. 

EDIT part deux: Hey rfaulk...ya moron...look at the post above this one...  

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote