Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Did Chase send a not so subtle message to Joe?
Davante Adams allegedly turned down a little more money from Green Bay because he wanted to play with his friend Derek Carr and because he wasn't sure if Rodgers would retire after 1 year.

He still became the highest paid WR in the NFL when he signed his deal. (He got surpassed by Tyreek Hill 6 days later.)

Players might take a LITTLE less to be somewhere they want to be, but they're not signing for 80% or less of their worth or something, which is the only way that extending all of Burrow, Chase, AND Higgins makes sense from a roster construction standpoint.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase wanted to live near Burrow so much that he literally went around knocking on doors on Joe’s street until he found someone who would sell him their house. I’d say they’re pretty close.

(02-16-2023, 12:48 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think their friendships can matter for sure when it comes to money. Chase & Joe are absolutely close close friends. This generation of athletes seem to be different people than previous to where money matters, but maybe not after a certain dollar figure.

Higgins, I don't know about, but would imagine he is close w them both. Boyd, however, stated in an interview stated his and Joe's relationship is more about business.

I took his pause as more formulating a generic way to foreshadow. Time will tell!

I do enjoy these little interviews over most of the mainstream stuff. Would have never seen it if you hadn't posted. Thanks!

(02-16-2023, 01:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think Joe and Chase are great friends in season or at work. Most of us have friends at work that aren’t in our golf group or join us out on the weekend. Doesn’t mean they aren’t one of our closest friends .Everybody speculating there are so many variables. I personally don’t think we keep Higgins. His agent seems all about the dollar. Fix the OL Zac, Duke, and Mr. Brown. We can get by with a little less firepower if Joe has a much better OL.

(02-16-2023, 02:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Yep JaMarr Said it didnt happened. I was just pointing out it it does happens alot.

I wouldnt go out on a limb and say they aren't friends. More like close work friends. They spent a month with eachother off-season from mandatory camp until training camp. Justin Jefferson was with them too.

I never said they weren't friends?  I said they were friends and loved each other...

They simply are not besties that hang out with each other.  Different friend groups.

Go to the 0:25, at the beginning.....

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 02:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Davante Adams allegedly turned down a little more money from Green Bay because he wanted to play with his friend Derek Carr and because he wasn't sure if Rodgers would retire after 1 year.

He still became the highest paid WR in the NFL when he signed his deal. (He got surpassed by Tyreek Hill 6 days later.)

Players might take a LITTLE less to be somewhere they want to be, but they're not signing for 80% or less of their worth or something, which is the only way that extending all of Burrow, Chase, AND Higgins makes sense from a roster construction standpoint.

Good point, and the Raiders tossed his buddy Carr out on his arse before a single season was up.  It almost reminds me of entering adulthood and the uncertainty of going off into the adult world and people telling me that you've got to think of yourself first and not base the rest of your life around what your friends are doing right now.

Well, we shall see what happens.  Right now I feel like the onus is on Burrow to be the one to take the friendly deal and open all the doors, but if we have Burrow and two #1 caliber WRs on offense, even with friendly deals people are still going to worry about our defense and trenches and all that jazz.

So to Chase's point, this team is going to have a hard time paying two #1 WRs, so is he volunteering to be the one paid like a #2?  Or are he and Tee both going to split the difference?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it’s not false, and your little “insider” act is getting old. Paul Dehner Jr is the one who originally reported it on a podcast, and he’s a 100% legitimate and credible source.

Im not trying to have a little "insider" act.  I do have a pretty damn good source, a couple people on here know about it.  But I'm not trying to steal your Jungle Noise Guru title, I promise.  Pretty sure there is a block feature if my comments annoy you this bad.  At least mine are accurate.....

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point, and the Raiders tossed his buddy Carr out on his arse before a single season was up.  It almost reminds me of entering adulthood and the uncertainty of going off into the adult world and people telling me that you've got to think of yourself first and not base the rest of your life around what your friends are doing right now.

Well, we shall see what happens.  Right now I feel like the onus is on Burrow to be the one to take the friendly deal and open all the doors, but if we have Burrow and two #1 caliber WRs on offense, even with friendly deals people are still going to worry about our defense and trenches and all that jazz.

So to Chase's point, this team is going to have a hard time paying two #1 WRs, so is he volunteering to be the one paid like a #2?  Or are he and Tee both going to split the difference?

I'm sure Chase wouldn't mind being "the guy", like Jefferson is in Minn. No doubt he and Tee are friends but they can be just as much friends on different teams. 

Chase has already said he wants to break all the records and that's gonna be hard to do with another guy like Tee across from him and especially with Tee and Boyd. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm sure Chase wouldn't mind being "the guy", like Jefferson is in Minn. No doubt he and Tee are friends but they can be just as much friends on different teams. 

Chase has already said he wants to break all the records and that's gonna be hard to do with another guy like Tee across from him and especially with Tee and Boyd. 

Possibly.  I get the impression that Chase wants to win above all else, period.  But who really knows?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Possibly.  I get the impression that Chase wants to win above all else, period.  But who really knows?

That's an easy impression to get when you see his reaction after the AFCCG last year. 

But...all WRs, i don't care who they are, have at least a little diva in them and they all want the ball. They've done a great job in the last 2 years of sharing the wealth and being unselfish. It would certainly be cool if they were all willing to do that for years to come. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point, and the Raiders tossed his buddy Carr out on his arse before a single season was up.  It almost reminds me of entering adulthood and the uncertainty of going off into the adult world and people telling me that you've got to think of yourself first and not base the rest of your life around what your friends are doing right now.

It honestly just doesn't make sense to me overall regardless. Even if they took that unrealistic 80% mark I said...

Burrow: $50m/yr ---> $40m/yr
Chase: $30m/yr ---> $24m/yr
Higgins: $25m/yr ---> $20m/yr

That's still $84m/yr for your QB and just 2 WRs, even if they all take unrealistically huge underpays. Their current combined contracts average $19m/yr. I am aware that there's increasing cap, and you can do some creative structuring (because the Bengals FO is well known for being creative, lol)... but even with all of that you're going to have to make some seriously large sacrifices and compromises on other parts of your roster in order to make that work.

The only team to pay 2 WRs $20m+/yr at the same time are the Chargers with a rookie contract QB. It hasn't turned out great for them, even with the rookie contract QB, and they are likely cutting 1 of them this offseason now that they're going to have to give Herbert an extension this offseason and they're at -$19.8m in cap space right now.

The Seahawks are close to being the 2nd team to do it, but again, they didn't extend Metcalf until after they traded away Russell Wilson and had a QB making just $3.5m.

Just don't see how you put big QB and two big WR contracts on the same team and still make a complete team. Even with giant discounts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm sure Chase wouldn't mind being "the guy", like Jefferson is in Minn. No doubt he and Tee are friends but they can be just as much friends on different teams. 

It's an interesting situation.  Seems to me the best way to make sure 3 guys who are friends stop being friends is for them to start debating over what share of the pay each guy deserves, and why.  In some parallel dimension Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are a rock trio supergroup and they're starting to argue over who wrote what, who gets the song on the A side of the single, or the B side, and who gets what share of the royalties.

That's the recipe for solo albums, I tells ya.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's an easy impression to get when you see his reaction after the AFCCG last year. 

But...all WRs, i don't care who they are, have at least a little diva in them and they all want the ball. They've done a great job in the last 2 years of sharing the wealth and being unselfish. It would certainly be cool if they were all willing to do that for years to come. 

Yep, this is my belief 100%.   Chase doing those interviews during SB week, every time he is asked about losing to KC he comes out and says he's pissed.  You can see it on his face.  No doubt he is a diva as well.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Yep, this is my belief 100%.   Chase doing those interviews during SB week, every time he is asked about losing to KC he comes out and says he's pissed.  You can see it on his face.  No doubt he is a diva as well.

As long as he isn't pissed in a manner which lands him in KC or in the NFC.  I think I pointed out before that a team like the Bears rolling out the red carpet for Higgins is going to be hard to combat. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:35 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Interesting.  After his comment regarding Joe's new contract structure last week and now this.... it could be a subtle message or maybe he already knows Joe's intentions?

(02-16-2023, 09:43 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Chase and higgins not chasing Top $$ will also help  Nudge nudge Chase and Higgins

Yeah, all this. Gonna need help from all the guy's above and the FO doing just enough to pay the men what they are worth without 
hurting the team. Fine line, but anything is possible with these guys who just want to win it all every year. These guys all want to stay
here and be the best for a very long time. Winning IS their highest priority and they should get paid big while doing so.

We will see how this all works out, I still have hope especially with Lou coming back we can keep a Championship roster together for
awhile especially with Burrow who I think will take a monster contract but with some things in it to keep the roster strong as can be.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 02:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I never said they weren't friends?  I said they were friends and loved each other...

They simply are not besties that hang out with each other.  Different friend groups.

Go to the 0:25, at the beginning.....

lol. He is bullshitting and being funny w that. They hang out all the time and are good friends off the field. Chase literally efforted to move next door to Burrow. James Rapien did an artlcle just a week ago talking about how they horse around and hang out.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: lol. He is bullshitting and being funny w that. They hang out all the time and are good friends off the field. Chase literally efforted to move next door to Burrow. James Rapien did an artlcle just a week ago talking about how they horse around and hang out.

Lol, you kill me. "He is bullshitting and being funny w that" what an ignorant take.

Chase did NOT "efforted" to move next door.  The house thing was actually a coincidence, they share the same realtor but he didnt know Joe was a neighbor at first. I just posted the video in this thread in which Chase says this.  Maybe you know more than Chase about Chase?  

And Joe does not hang out all the time period.  Joe's closest friends are Hubbard and Bates.  Joe has childhood friends he apparently sees often, but the guy literally doesnt go out.  Chase has totally different friend groups.  I only know this because I actually acted like a fanboy and asked someone that would know.   

I dont know all the little bestie groups on the team, I do know that DJ Reader and Tupoe are always together and Boyd is with them often.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It honestly just doesn't make sense to me overall regardless. Even if they took that unrealistic 80% mark I said...

Burrow: $50m/yr ---> $40m/yr
Chase: $30m/yr ---> $24m/yr
Higgins: $25m/yr ---> $20m/yr

That's still $84m/yr for your QB and just 2 WRs, even if they all take unrealistically huge underpays. Their current combined contracts average $19m/yr. I am aware that there's increasing cap, and you can do some creative structuring (because the Bengals FO is well known for being creative, lol)... but even with all of that you're going to have to make some seriously large sacrifices and compromises on other parts of your roster in order to make that work.

The only team to pay 2 WRs $20m+/yr at the same time are the Chargers with a rookie contract QB. It hasn't turned out great for them, even with the rookie contract QB, and they are likely cutting 1 of them this offseason now that they're going to have to give Herbert an extension this offseason and they're at -$19.8m in cap space right now.

The Seahawks are close to being the 2nd team to do it, but again, they didn't extend Metcalf until after they traded away Russell Wilson and had a QB making just $3.5m.

Just don't see how you put big QB and two big WR contracts on the same team and still make a complete team. Even with giant discounts.

I think the issue with your salary percentage is that all 3 of those numbers will not hit for at least 4 more years.  And who knows what the cap will be in 2027?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:43 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Chase and higgins not chasing Top $$ will also help  Nudge nudge Chase and Higgins

This was my thought as well. Who says just Joe has to be the only one to take a team friendly deal to keep the wagon together.
Reply/Quote
If you find a briefcase in your locker. Don't say anything. Don't open it. Just take it and walk away.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 04:23 PM)Destro Wrote: If you find a briefcase in your locker. Don't say anything. Don't open it. Just take it and walk away.

Knowing Mike Brown it'll probably be two packages of powdered Gatorade.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 04:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Knowing Mike Brown it'll probably be two packages of powdered Gatorade.

i still think its funny people are knocking mike brown cause a multi million dollar athlete had to buy his own gatorade at home
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 05:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i still think its funny people are knocking mike brown cause a multi million dollar athlete had to buy his own gatorade at home

What about having to pay for towels in the locker room?  The food they used to serve, etc., so many back in the day.

Reply/Quote