Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Someone Say Bowers?
I know many are fans of drafting Bowers with the 18th selection but I have been onboard with a RT with that selection. However, I have been trying to open my mind up to different scenarios so when I ran this simulation and he was there at 18 I played it out to see how it went and my eyes have been opened. Taking Bowers at 18 could still work out very well for the Bengals.

I ran this simulation with the same criteria I have been using and that is the following:

Very likely returning free agents:
Tee Higgins (franchise tag)
Tanner Hudson
Trenton Irwin
Cal Adomitis
Jake Browning

Good possibility to return:
DJ Reader (at least 1 year deal)
Cody Ford
Joe Bachie
Akeem Davis-Gaither

Lost free agents:
Tyler Boyd
Jonah Williams
Irv Smith
Chido Awuzie

The Draft:

Reply/Quote
The words tightrope ankle surgery scare me. But I don’t know if I should be scared or not.
Reply/Quote
RD.1 - 18th Selection:

Brock Bowers - TE - Georgia - 6'3" 243

If he is the generational talent that most are saying he is then he could well be that player to propel this offense to the next level. This selection should more than make up for losing one of the best slot receivers in the league in Tyler Boyd and should create some serious mismatch issues for opposing defenses. His abilities after the catch are next level talents and he, like Ja'Marr, is a weapon that defenses will have to specifically game plan for. He has an uncanny ability to separate from defenders and much of it has to do with his precise route running and the pace and crispness with which he gets in and out of his breaks.

With a healthy Joe Burrow this could be a match up that can really stress the secondary of a defense.

RD. 2 - 49th Selection:

T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4.5" 366

Stopping the run in the AFC North is not a luxury but a must. When DJ Reader is not on the field for the Bengals it is very apparent that they struggle in this capacity. If Reader does return then Sweat gives the Bengals that second DT that can demand double teams and eat up blockers. Sweat has shown a consistent ability to defeat double teams and make plays in the running game and even though rushing the passer is not his strength, he can absolutely break down a pocket and make a QB uncomfortable. If Reader does not return then this selection is huge and not just talking about his size. Sweat is nearly immovable when he sits down and anchors and the traits he has shown at the college level translate to the NFL.

Is drawing comparisons to Sam Adams and Vita Vea and that is pretty good company to be in.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:

Kiran Amegadjie - OT - Yale - 6'5" 323

I was almost ready to panic about RT and then the draft gods smiled upon the Bengals. I was ecstatic to see Kiran still sitting here with the 80th selection. I honestly believe that this kid has the abilities and the smarts, no dummy or sure going to Yale, to make a serious bid to be the day 1 starter at RT. He is extremely athletic and brings outstanding size and elite length (36 1/8" arms) to the position. He is an extremely physical run blocker and has more than enough athleticism to mirror speed on the edge. Obviously, the best scenario is to find at least a serviceable RT in free agency to compete with Kiran for the job in '24 but even at that I would not count Kiran out.

RD. 4 - 116th Selection:

Zak Zinter - OL - Michigan - 6'6' 309

Zinter was hands down the best player on the Michigan offensive line in '23. I honestly had not paid much attention until a few weeks ago when I was watching film on their line and it became apparent really quickly that this kid is just one hell of a lineman. Zinter broke his fibula and tibia against Ohio State but recent news says he should be football ready before camp and will do movement drills and so forth at the Michigan Pro Day. Zinter is extremely position versatile and many believe he may end up being a high end center in the NFL. Given that Karras is a free agent after '24 this is where I would see him working for the Bengals as the heir apparent to the job in '25. However, his ability to play guard makes him a great depth piece for the '24 season.

RD.5 - 148th Selection:

Luke McCaffrey - WR - Rice - 6'2" 198

Luke is a converted QB and he applies that knowledge of an offense to the WR position. Drops are not in the in the vocabulary for McCaffrey. For only being his second season playing WR he has pretty strong technique which is a testament to his lineage. He is willing to do the small things that are often overlooked and he shows no panic at all operating over the middle or in traffic. While he is not a burner he is a strider that has enough speed to keep the backend of a defense honest. I could see Luke making a living in the slot at the NFL level much like Tyler Boyd and could help to ease his loss.

Luke needs to continue to hone is overall game and to continue to learn the nuances of playing WR but overall he is a very solid prospect that, like his dad and brother, will not be out worked.

RD. 5 - 175th Selection:

Nehemiah Pritchett - CB - Auburn - 6'0" 190

The Bengals have added some key pieces to the CB room over the last two drafts in Taylor-Britt and Turner but with expected loss of Awuzie and the uncertainty of the availability of Ivey, due to his injury, the Bengals still need to add some depth to the room. Pritchett is a long and fast corner that has displayed really good ball skills at in his time at Auburn. Pritchett has seen some of the best receivers in college football on a regular basis which makes you feel good about bringing him into the DB room. Pritchett should be a good addition as experienced depth.

RD. 6 - 196th Selection:

Ainias Smith - WR - Texas A&M - 5'9" 190

Playmaker. Smith is absolutely electric when the ball is in his hands. I do not see him having as many touches as a Deebo Samuel but he could be used in many of the same ways that Samuel is used. Smith could be a consistent stick mover that can make defenders look silly in the open field. While his frame may not take 15- 20 touches a game, giving him 5 - 8 touches a game gives a defense just one more thing that they have to prepare to defend. As a punt returner he he has some Adam Jones type ability so could be real weapon on special teams as well.

RD. 7 - 235th Selection:

Marcus Harris - DT - Auburn - 6'2" 286

Harris does not bring real bulk to the DT position but his quickness off of the snap and the instincts he has displayed seem to make up for the size deficiency. Harris could prove to be a really crafty and disruptive 3 tech at the NFL level. While he may need a couple season to compete for starting spot, he should make an immediate impact as a rotational piece on the interior of the line.  This draft is heavy in 3 tech interior players which I believe plays a big part in pushing Harris this far down the draft boards.

RD. 7 - 252nd Selection:

Kimani Vidal - RB - Troy - 5'8" 213

Vidal is a solidly built runner that has good long speed. Vidal has been a productive back of the last two season for Troy and much of that productivity was him as they really struggled along the offensive line. As the all time leading rusher for the Trojans, Vidal has displayed pretty good vision and seems to play with really high football IQ. He is a good receiver out of the backfield and when the ball is in his hands he is a tough tackle. Could be an ideal back to share carries with Chase Brown should the Bengals look to move on from Mixon to change direction in the backfield and to free up some cap space. Good hard runner that has a knack for getting tough yards when needed.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 10:53 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The words tightrope ankle surgery scare me. But I don’t know if I should be scared or not.

Seems to be one of the more common procedures that is being done now at the college level. Tua has more than one at Bama if I am not mistaken and it has not seemed to have hurt his movement ability at all.
Reply/Quote
might have to move up to get him...... Hows his value where the titans sit?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 01:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: might have to move up to get him......      Hows his value where the titans sit?

I would not advocate moving up to get him. I would not move up for anyone rather let the draft fall as it may. I would not give up the capital that it would require to do so. I am not a fan of giving picks away. I would advocate moving down in this draft if there is not the desired player or value at #18.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 02:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would not advocate moving up to get him. I would not move up for anyone rather let the draft fall as it may. I would not give up the capital that it would require to do so. I am not a fan of giving picks away. I would advocate moving down in this draft if there is not the desired player or value at #18.

no picks required when we have a WR available to trade
Reply/Quote
I have been on the Bowers' train for the longest time but I also have been putting emotions aside and realizing that it's time we finally invest in the line and give Burrow some time.

Burrow has taken us to one SB and one AFCG with shitty lines and, if we finally protect him, I have no doubt that he and Chase will destroy the league.

On the flip side, I think, if we signed a free agent or two and drafted a quality guy outside of the first, drafting Bowers would make us damn near unstoppable on offense because it would give Burrow a safety blanket in the middle of the field and also occupy safeties and backers up the seam. It would also improve our run game because you can't leave Bowers single covered by a backer and the strong safety can't commit to the run.

He'd also help Burrow by giving him an option for a faster release.

My only problem goes back to will our line be good enough without drafting a tackle in the first round.

I wish our front office would take their heads out of their asses and sell-out to protect Burrow.

I realize that that's easier said than done, but I don't think we've done nearly enough since he's been here to improve protection.

I think Bowers makes our offense damn near unstoppable if we can just find a way to protect Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I would like this Draft a lot. Bowers is about the best YAC TE ever in college. I can hardly imagine how good he would be with Burrow
hitting him in stride. Of course I like Sweat, he is that big clogging NT we need to stop the run and he can also rush the passer a bit so
he is not a 1 trick pony either. Amegadjie sounds like a good one to learn Tackle for the future and he has great size and length. Zinter
is a no brainer for the future and he would probably be a 1st rounder if not for the injury.

Luke McCaffrey sounds like a good one to grab to replace Boyd in case Charlie Jones isn't the answer. I like that Pritchett is from a big
school in Auburn and has good length. I watched Ainias Smith last year a couple times and he returned a Punt or Kick for a TD in one
game and had monster games in both of them, crazy talent to get this late, dude is a playmaker and is my favorite pick in this Draft as far
as a diamond in the rough type.

Harris might be a good one to compete at 3-tech behind BJ Hill, I like our UDFA as well in Maxwell who got injured last year. Oh wait, I
love the Kimani Vidal pick just as much as the Ainias pick. This guy is a bowling ball RB similar to Jones-Drew from back in the day who
can pass protect, catch the ball out of the backfield, can break tackles and make people miss. Good Draft OSUfan.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 02:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no picks required when we have a WR available to trade

So you believe someone is going to give us a first round selection for Higgins or you would trade our selection and Higgins to move up? Personally, I am a big fan of just getting a deal done with Higgins and keeping him around.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 03:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I have been on the Bowers' train for the longest time but I also have been putting emotions aside and realizing that it's time we finally invest in the line and give Burrow some time.

Burrow has taken us to one SB and one AFCG with shitty lines and, if we finally protect him, I have no doubt that he and Chase will destroy the league.

On the flip side, I think, if we signed a free agent or two and drafted a quality guy outside of the first, drafting Bowers would make us damn near unstoppable on offense because it would give Burrow a safety blanket in the middle of the field and also occupy safeties and backers up the seam. It would also improve our run game because you can't leave Bowers single covered by a backer and the strong safety can't commit to the run.

He'd also help Burrow by giving him an option for a faster release.

My only problem goes back to will our line be good enough without drafting a tackle in the first round.

I wish our front office would take their heads out of their asses and sell-out to protect Burrow.

I realize that that's easier said than done, but I don't think we've done nearly enough since he's been here to improve protection.

I think Bowers makes our offense damn near unstoppable if we can just find a way to protect Burrow.

I was super excited when we brought in Pollack as the line coach but I am quickly getting onboard with those that would like to see Pollack gone. I just have not seen any improvement with him coaching this line and since he came back from the Jets and also took over as the run game coordinator our run game has been pretty much trash. I believe there are many candidates that the Bengals should attempt to bring in to replace Pollack and the top of that list would be trying to lure Mike Munchak out of retirement.

Maybe try to get Bill Bedenbaugh to leave Oklahome and make the jump to the NFL? Maybe get Stacy Searels to make the jump from Georgia to the NFL? Could they gamble on a former player like Eric Wood who has Cincinnati ties or someone like Whitworth? However, I think they must make a change in the offensive line coaching.
Reply/Quote
If Im guessing, I say Bowers is still going to be there at 18. He is not a big dude and I think that will hurt his draft stock. Also, NFL teams dont value TE as much as other positions. "He wont be there" reminds me of the talk about Michael Mayer last year. Obviously each draft is different and Bowers is different than Mayer so who knows.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 06:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If Im guessing, I say Bowers is still going to be there at 18.  He is not a big dude and I think that will hurt his draft stock.  Also, NFL teams dont value TE as much as other positions.  "He wont be there" reminds me of the talk about Michael Mayer last year.  Obviously each draft is different and Bowers is different than Mayer so who knows.

Well, Bowers is a sub 4.5 guy and Mayer ran a 4.7, that is a huge difference in being able to get open quickly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 06:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I was super excited when we brought in Pollack as the line coach but I am quickly getting onboard with those that would like to see Pollack gone. I just have not seen any improvement with him coaching this line and since he came back from the Jets and also took over as the run game coordinator our run game has been pretty much trash. I believe there are many candidates that the Bengals should attempt to bring in to replace Pollack and the top of that list would be trying to lure Mike Munchak out of retirement.

Maybe try to get Bill Bedenbaugh to leave Oklahome and make the jump to the NFL? Maybe get Stacy Searels to make the jump from Georgia to the NFL? Could they gamble on a former player like Eric Wood who has Cincinnati ties or someone like Whitworth? However, I think they must make a change in the offensive line coaching.

You think they'll do it before or after the draft?

Sadly, I just don't see it happening because I'm baffled at how they've hung onto him this long.

It reminds me of the Bengals of old when Mike Brown wouldn't replace a coach or player, no matter how bad he was.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 06:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, Bowers is a sub 4.5 guy and Mayer ran a 4.7, that is a huge difference in being able to get open quickly.

Bowers didnt run the 40 at the combine.  Im guessing because he probably isnt a sub 4.5 guy.   In fact Bowers didnt work out at all.  Mayer to his credit ran the 40 for all to see unlike Bowers. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 07:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Bowers didnt run the 40 at the combine.  Im guessing because he probably isnt a sub 4.5 guy.   In fact Bowers didnt work out at all.  Mayer to his credit ran the 40 for all to see unlike Bowers. 

Says on here that he runs a 4.48

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Brock-Bowers-TE-Georgia

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Says on here that he runs a 4.48

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Brock-Bowers-TE-Georgia

That is not an official measurement.  Its like all these sites reporting Xavier Legette as being 6'3" when he was actually 6'1" as measured at the combine.  Bowers didnt work out, including running the 40.

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/live-results/40-yard-dash/te/all-colleges/

Im guessing Bowers will run at the Georgia pro day so he gets a hand timed 40 instead of an electrically timed 40 which should make his 40 time look faster than had he run it at the combine.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 08:33 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That is not an official measurement.  Its like all these sites reporting Xavier Legette as being 6'3" when he was actually 6'1" as measured at the combine.  Bowers didnt work out, including running the 40.

Im guessing Bowers will run at the Georgia pro day so he gets a hand timed 40 instead of an electrically timed 40 which should make his 40 time look faster than had he run it at the combine.

His physical measurements from the combine are reflected on that site.  I wonder where they got that 40 time from, as like you said, he didn't run?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 07:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You think they'll do it before or after the draft?

Sadly, I just don't see it happening because I'm baffled at how they've hung onto him this long.

It reminds me of the Bengals of old when Mike Brown wouldn't replace a coach or player, no matter how bad he was.

Unfortunately, I do not think the change is going to be made this year at all and I believe it is a Taylor thing as the impression I get is that he has freedom over staffing decisions for the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 08:33 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That is not an official measurement.  Its like all these sites reporting Xavier Legette as being 6'3" when he was actually 6'1" as measured at the combine.  Bowers didnt work out, including running the 40.

Eh, I don't care what Bowers forty is honestly, he is way faster than Michael Mayer and most TE's especially with pads, in uniform 
and a helmet on. I watched him on the field making 40 to 50 yard TD's and he is one of the fastest TE's I have ever seen...
Reply/Quote