Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Displaying bengals games on projector outdoor
So I need advice from any A/V knowledgeable Bengals fans out here.
Here is what I want to do. I want to use a projector to watch Bengals prime time games outside and have a Bengals outside viewing party. I have a small shed that is 12 feet wide I can hang a screen from and the edge of patio to the shed is about 22 feet. Any suggestions on what hardware to use? Projector types? Scree types? How many Lumen? I know zero about projectors. I want big screen outside viewing ability. Anyone out here do this? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply/Quote
Almost any newer LCD projector will work just fine. Be sure it has HDMI so you can connect it to your cable or Direct TV box.

I always hook up a set of computer speakers that work really nice for the game sounds. For a screen, I just use a King Size plain bed sheet and closepin it to my large Cantilever umbrella and you can pull it taught (so there is no sagging) with the closepins.

You can buy nicer, more expensive screens on amazon, but be sure you double check the size. A lot of folks end up really disappointed when they don't read the fine print and go by a picture.

The biggest issue is showing the game outside during the day. It will not look good. Primetime games would work great.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 09:55 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: So I need advice from any A/V knowledgeable Bengals fans out here.
     Here is what I want to do. I want to use a projector to watch Bengals prime time games outside and have a Bengals outside viewing party. I have a small shed that is 12 feet wide I can hang a screen from and the edge of patio to the shed is about 22 feet. Any suggestions on what hardware to use? Projector types? Scree types? How many Lumen? I know zero about projectors. I want big screen outside viewing  ability. Anyone out here do this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Daytime viewing is impossible outside without an overhang. I mean yeah, you may see a little picture, but it will be so week and faded looking you will hate it. However, there are projectors strong enough to display inside without much loss when the curtains are open. Sunlight is just too powerful.

As for the rest of your questions, just do your research. Read the customer reviews. Doing that will help you go into buying a specific model out there. Be very choosy in your research because some may excel in some areas that interest you and lack in others. Do these things and you should be pretty satisfied except for ability to watch games outside during the day. Racer is right when he mentioned HDMI cable. 

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 07:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Daytime viewing is impossible outside without an overhang. I mean yeah, you may see a little picture, but it will be so week and faded looking you will hate it. However, there are projectors strong enough to display inside without much loss when the curtains are open. Sunlight is just too powerful.

As for the rest of your questions, just do your research. Read the customer reviews. Doing that will help you go into buying a specific model out there. Be very choosy in your research because some may excel in some areas that interest you and lack in others. Do these things and you should be pretty satisfied except for ability to watch games outside during the day. Racer is right when he mentioned HDMI cable. 

So you have to have a hangover to watch TV outside ? Say What
Reply/Quote
Move to South Carolina and enjoy watching outside in 100 degree weather where it may or may not pour down rain at just about any time and there's always enough mosquitoes for everyone!  Ok, probably not a great idea..I know I ain't watching football outside..
If you have a big garage, 2-3 car you could set up inside the garage with the door(s) open. It would give plenty of overhang and access to electric assuming the garage is wired and not full of junk like my garage, but you'd probably have a good 20 foot back wall for a screen. If the back wall is too far away or some other reason like full of tools, etc., you still have the ceiling and walls to hang a screen from. 
Just my own ideas.. I have a nice TV and comfortable couch..AC and central heat close to bathroom and kitchen..No particular reason to want to do it outside myself.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd suggest buying one with wifi/bluetooth - that way you can just stream the games from your phone to your projector and not even have to mess around with hooking up a cable box and doing that old song and dance.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
My suggestion would be to by a 80+ 4k TV and make sure it adjusts with light. They are very reasonable. I have an 8K now for inside my house and we love it. I do suggest you protect it with an awning (metal) to keep the heat off of it and also. the rain and snow.

I had a 120" projector in my previous house in my basement, it was also high def. but the picture on my my 8K now is surreal, like you are that game and on the field. It also has Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles to connect easily to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+ through voice command.

Good luck with your decision.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 10:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My suggestion would be to by a 80+ 4k TV and make sure it adjusts with light. They are very reasonable. I have an 8K now for inside my house and we love it. I do suggest you protect it with an awning (metal) to keep the heat off of it and also. the rain and snow.

I had a 120" projector in my previous house in my basement, it was also high def. but the picture on my my 8K now is surreal, like you are that game and on the field. It also has Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles to connect easily to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+ through voice command.

Good luck with your decision.

Not many things are broadcast in 4k right now (and by not many I mean like close to nothing) and nothing is broadcast in 8k - so that's pretty irrelevant when it comes to watching a 1 pm football game on CBS or even most primetime games. Of course this is different for streaming things like Netflix and Disney + which are in 4K. 

If you are trying to upgrade your TV viewing experience then going from LED screen to OLED screen is the single most important thing. The difference between screen/picture quality is ridiculous.  
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 08:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So you have to have a hangover to watch TV outside ? Say What

It helps. That way you have an excuse to "hair of the dog" and make it enjoyable.

(07-07-2022, 09:41 AM)grampahol Wrote: If you have a big garage, 2-3 car you could set up inside the garage with the door(s) open. It would give plenty of overhang and access to electric assuming the garage is wired and not full of junk like my garage, but you'd probably have a good 20 foot back wall for a screen. If the back wall is too far away or some other reason like full of tools, etc., you still have the ceiling and walls to hang a screen from. 

Good point. A overhang is not enough to stop outside daylight. 

(07-07-2022, 09:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd suggest buying one with wifi/bluetooth - that way you can just stream the games from your phone to your projector and not even have to mess around with hooking up a cable box and doing that old song and dance.

Yes, this would be a big help. But to the OP the receiver also has to have bluetooth for it to work.

(07-07-2022, 10:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  but the picture on my my 8K now is surreal, like you are that game and on the field. It also has Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles to connect easily to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+ through voice command.

Wanna share the pricetag on that?

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 09:55 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: So I need advice from any A/V knowledgeable Bengals fans out here.
     Here is what I want to do. I want to use a projector to watch Bengals prime time games outside and have a Bengals outside viewing party. I have a small shed that is 12 feet wide I can hang a screen from and the edge of patio to the shed is about 22 feet. Any suggestions on what hardware to use? Projector types? Scree types? How many Lumen? I know zero about projectors. I want big screen outside viewing  ability. Anyone out here do this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I project concert videos on the end of my house every summer. I have a LCD projector that's about 8 years old, and it works perfectly....sound through my garage stereo. What I did for a cheap solution is sew three king sized sheets together. 

Attached Files Image(s)

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 07:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Almost any newer LCD projector will work just fine.  Be sure it has HDMI so you can connect it to your cable or Direct TV box.

I always hook up a set of computer speakers that work really nice for the game sounds.  For a screen, I just use a King Size plain bed sheet and closepin it to my large Cantilever umbrella and you can pull it taught (so there is no sagging) with the closepins.  

You can buy nicer, more expensive screens on amazon, but be sure you double check the size.  A lot of folks end up really disappointed when they don't read the fine print and go by a picture.  

The biggest issue is showing the game outside during the day.   It will not look good.  Primetime games would work great.

You also just run a splitter off RCA with a coaxial for older setups. That's what I did originally until I upgraded the sound system and TV in the garage. Now, I can plug my iPad directly into the front of my Yamaha receiver, and run HDMI from there to the TV and then signal to the projector from there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Was going to mention the daylight would make it impossible. Would have to be primetime night games or watch
the games later at night. I am going to get a projector myself but it is going to be inside most of the time so I can
watch it in the day if I want.

Wyche Rocking SRV on his projector outside at night is sweet. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not many things are broadcast in 4k right now (and by not many I mean like close to nothing) and nothing is broadcast in 8k - so that's pretty irrelevant when it comes to watching a 1 pm football game on CBS or even most primetime games. Of course this is different for streaming things like Netflix and Disney + which are in 4K. 

If you are trying to upgrade your TV viewing experience then going from LED screen to OLED screen is the single most important thing. The difference between screen/picture quality is ridiculous.  

You may want to do some research
Most professional sports are broadcast in 4K and I have seen many movies broadcast in 8K since I bought it over a year ago
mMy projector had 4k also and watched many NFL games in 4 K

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 12:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It helps. That way you have an excuse to "hair of the dog" and make it enjoyable.

Good point. A overhang is not enough to stop outside daylight. 

Yes, this would be a big help. But to the OP the receiver also has to have bluetooth for it to work.

Wanna share the pricetag on that?

I got the 8K 85"at Best Buy on sale for $8000

But you can get 75" 4K for around $1000 and up
Check out Best Buy and other places

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 01:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I got the 8K 85"at Best Buy on sale for $8000

But you can get 75" 4K for around $1000 and up
Check out Best Buy and other places

Damn, that's pretty steep. However, I like movies and series and definitely would drop that kind of money into a TV in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't hang it outside. Too much humidty would kill it short term I would think. And god forbid a bird flew into it. LOL

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 12:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You may want to do some research
Most professional sports are broadcast in 4K and I have seen many movies broadcast in 8K since I bought it over a year ago

CBS and Fox have never done a 4k 1pm game during the regular season. Although Fox does do Thursday and Sunday Night games in 4k.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I got a 1080p projector for 250$ on Amazon and everyone loved watching the games on a 180 inch screen... The darker the room the better it looks unless you want to pay 2500$...
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 09:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd suggest buying one with wifi/bluetooth - that way you can just stream the games from your phone to your projector and not even have to mess around with hooking up a cable box and doing that old song and dance.

That may work , but I tried using the screen mirror deal to the tv off my phone. It worked for most stuff, but the NFL blocks mirroring from phones on their broadcasts. So I'm not sure.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 12:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You may want to do some research

This is just simply not true. A significantly more amount of games are still broadcast in HD than they are in 4K - and even that depends on your TV provider. 

I'm not sure where you are watching movies in 8K but I assure you it isn't coming from your cable subscription or netflix or disney plus. There is like zero 8K content out there at the moment. Buying an 8K TV right now is pointless.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 01:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That may work , but I tried using the screen mirror deal to the tv off my phone. It worked for most stuff, but the NFL blocks mirroring from phones on their broadcasts. So I'm not sure.

If that's the case, you could always buy a Roku Wifi and stick it in the projector and connect to your home Wifi. Download your cable companies app on the Roku and you are good to go. 

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Device-Vision-Controls/dp/B09BKCDXZC/ref=asc_df_B09BKCDXZC?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264475077540&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863996395910&psc=1
Reply/Quote