Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
(01-05-2023, 01:18 AM)CJ2etc Wrote: I fought in a war and numerous conflicts.  Saw many people die.  Everyone deals with grief differently but it isn't going away.  Returning to normalcy is what helped me most.  You either let it destroy you or let it fuel you.  Rest of the nfl isn't letting it stop them.

That's how I figured it would be because, otherwise, you're just sitting around thinking about only that.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "You have guys that you care about that I think everyone out there was watching it and thinking that could be me, that could be any of us in this locker room," Burrow said. "So, one, I just wanted to make sure everyone knows in that locker room how I feel about them, make sure I tell them that, and at the same time, trying to let everyone know that we still got a game to play, we still got a job to do. We still got goals and aspirations ahead of us for the season, as tough as that is right now, but that's where we're at."

I swear, every time I think I couldn’t possibly like Burrow anymore than I already do…

We are truly, truly lucky to have this guy leading our team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Am I the only one that thinks that players are basically saying blah blah blah in pressers? DJ Reader and Dem Boyz are all playing on Sunday. What was he gonna say? I'm really focused on smashing JK Dobbins this Sunday? Literally every question lobbed at our guys today was about Monday night. They're professionals, and will act accordingly.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I swear, every time I think I couldn’t possibly like Burrow anymore than I already do…

I was joking with my girlfriend earlier, and said if I thought "What would Joe Burrow do?" before I made every decision, I'd be a much better person.

Sooner or later he'll disappoint me, but he hasn't yet.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I missed this. Yeah I guess it’s pretty traumatic. I mean watching on tv was. My heart was beating fast and I had anxiety just watching them talk about what was going on and not seeing them reviving him for 8 minutes or whatever. I thought he died and they didn’t want to announce it.

I honestly couldn’t play pro football for a living. I’d get injured so fast. I have so much respect for the players that do because they are putting themselves on the line every play. That said, what happened made me feel guilty for contributing my attention to the sport. I think mma is far worse though.

You look at a guy like Antonio brown or some of these players with the cte issues after playing. It’s a brutal sport.

Fortunately for reader he doesn’t have to deal with as many of the full steam ahead, head-on tackles like the backers and corners have to deal with.

This is definitely bad for the sport. We were set for a really good playoffs. Now this casts a shadow on the sport going forward.

The forward thinking side of me still thinks players will push through and pull together.

I think it’d be a nice jester if the bills would forfeit so neither team needs to play next week.
They forfeit and grab the 3 seed. We forfeit the ravens game and take the 2, or play if we want to play for 1st place.

I would think the bills maybe aren’t in the right frame of mind to play this week anyway, so forfeiting both games allows them to heal and then get ready for the wildcard? Eesh
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can say this:

They're not Soldiers

They don't go to war

Coming from a Soldier that has been to war, I’ve always had a hard time when I’d hear players say they’re going to war. At the risk of being insensitive, I’ve been saying these last couple of days that the Military, first responders, and really any hard working American in almost any profession doesn’t have the ability to hit the pause button like they did Monday. Soldiers not only have to move on, they have to be better than they were before their brother/sister fell. They don’t have a choice and they are paid a small fraction of what professional football players are paid. I’m not saying they should have to play and I’m not saying what they did Monday is wrong, but I’m saying that we have true heroes in this country that truly lay it all on the line everyday for a fraction of the pay. I guess the Army has calloused me to this kind of situation and it was difficult for me to understand the response (rather the lack thereof) by the media for almost 24hrs. EVERYONE was afraid to talk about what could/should happen next. Each time someone started talking it always started with “of course first and foremost we are worried about the player.” I was worried about the player, but the side of me that knows a job still has to be done is saying what happens next. It’s ok to talk about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:18 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: Here is the full context of DJ answering the question about playing

https://twitter.com/markvslaughter/status/1610774334796185602?s=46&t=cEFihRc1CVRr135wLPGZxA

(01-04-2023, 11:21 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: Jamarr horsing around a bit with and getting a smile out of Tee at practice

https://twitter.com/fox19jeremy/status/1610810275132760064?s=46&t=cEFihRc1CVRr135wLPGZxA

These videos lead me to believe this team is going to be ready for Sunday. Reader sounded like he was going to play but that he was for sure bothered by what happened. Burrows press conference made me feel confident about where his heads at too.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:21 AM)WhoDey Hooligan Wrote: Coming from a Soldier that has been to war, I’ve always had a hard time when I’d hear players say they’re going to war. At the risk of being insensitive, I’ve been saying these last couple of days that the Military, first responders, and really any hard working American in almost any profession doesn’t have the ability to hit the pause button like they did Monday. Soldiers not only have to move on, they have to be better than they were before their brother/sister fell. They don’t have a choice and they are paid a small fraction of what professional football players are paid. I’m not saying they should have to play and I’m not saying what they did Monday is wrong, but I’m saying that we have true heroes in this country that truly lay it all on the line everyday for a fraction of the pay. I guess the Army has calloused me to this kind of situation and it was difficult for me to understand the response (rather the lack thereof) by the media for almost 24hrs. EVERYONE was afraid to talk about what could/should happen next. Each time someone started talking it always started with “of course first and foremost we are worried about the player.”  I was worried about the player, but the side of me that knows a job still has to be done is saying what happens next. It’s ok to talk about it.

we don't live in that world anymore. ty for your service sir.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:45 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Practicing should help a lot. Some of them are already ready to go, but there will be some that have to deal with whatever they have to deal with. Everyone deals with things differently. Hopefully we play the Ravens and beat the crap out of them. That would be the best thing to do, imo, but some of the players wont be feeling it I'm sure. Tee is the one I worry might need a bit more time, but then again he might not. 

Yeah, it'll just be an individual thing. Some will relish the idea of just getting back out there and going again. Some won't. It just is what it is. Playing well and winning the division on Sunday would be a good way for the Bengals to respond in a football sense, but I won't be disappointed in the guys if our effort isn't what it might usually be. It just is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Do you not see a difference in people who sign up to work a job knowing death is likely versus guys who play a sport and saw something no one ever expected.

Your take on this is shit.

Everyone handles things differently. So calling him soft for his reaction to seeing another player lay on the field with no heartbeat just shows that you are an insensitive prick. Cheers.

It is what it is and your name calling bothers me not one bit. Personally, I'm glad I became an "insensitive prick" because it allowed me to continue to function, do my job and help people instead of crawling into a fetal position and shutting down emotionally and helping no one. And yes, everyone handles things differently, you can be mentally and emotionally tough or you can be mentally and emotionally soft. And physical size has nothing to do with it.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: omg...no one said anything about "packing it in". 

[Image: confused-no.gif]

Reader said he didn’t know if he wanted to play. Sounds like someone who is considering it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry, but that's soft. Go ahead and flame me for saying it, but it is. Hamlin is not dead. They are acting like the funeral is tomorrow.

They all know they have aggravated hearts too and a hit to it could be trouble 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:54 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: They all know they have aggravated hearts too and a hit to it could be trouble 

20 milliseconds, they are thousands of times more likely to be killed on their way to the stadium or by falling in the bathtub. 

[Image: MYR0yAVl.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It happened less than 48 hours ago. People are still processing. I know Burrow wants to play, and I feel that if this game is meaningful the leaders of this team will rally the team. Everyone showed up to practice so that’s a good sign.

Right. I also saw a lot of smiles on their faces at practice. The more time together they have focusing on work, the more likely positions on this change. It's human nature. I was especially happy to see a smile on Tee's face during warmups.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:30 PM)samhain Wrote: I kind of agree.  Difference here is we're dealing with guys who can afford not to play for as long as they want.  

Right, I feel like this is an apples/oranges type of thing. People are equating a GAME played for entertainment to real life important to society scenarios. Look at it like this, if you go to the local theater to catch a play and one of the cast members has a heart attack....or a concert and the singer has an aneurysm....does the show go on? No, it doesn't. I think that's a more fair comparison than police officers or soldiers. 

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:47 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I fully believe the Raiders will beat the Chiefs on Saturday.  KC has been scraping by ever since the game vs us a month ago.  Maybe if that happens it will get our players up enough to try on Sunday.  

As long as Jackson is not starting, our defense should be fine.  What does worry me is our offense taking a bunch of hits against their tough defense, and injuries occur as a result of their heads not being in the game.  I hope there is some leadership on this team that can get them back on track in a hurry.  

Again, though, all of this would not matter (at least for one more week) if the NFL would come out and say what their plans are about that postponed game.     

Jackson is not playing according to WLW this morning.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I swear, every time I think I couldn’t possibly like Burrow anymore than I already do…

Yeah but it's not exactly an accurate statement any more than it is for you or me.  A torn ACL?  Yes.  This?  No not really.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:00 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I wouldn’t call death “likely” as a first responder, or even signing up for the military. Yes, it is possible in that field, but not likely.

Does construction stop when a an ill times death occurs?  

Fwiw, reader is not soft, nor is anyone in the NFL.  This whole thing boils down to lack of leadership at the top… AKa, goodell, who hasn’t said a word, instead sending Troy Vincent to do the dirty work.  

Someone, anyone, needs to make a decision on moving the NFL forward.  The employees will follow suit, while STILL dealing with this on their own and how they see fit.  It isn’t impossible to do both at the same time.

Actually, it does. There is a project in my town that has been idle for going on two years after a worker was killed in a trench collapse. OSHA investigations, etc must be carried out and resolved.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It is what it is and your name calling bothers me not one bit. Personally, I'm glad I became an "insensitive prick" because it allowed me to continue to function, do my job and help people instead of crawling into a fetal position and shutting down emotionally and helping no one. And yes, everyone handles things differently, you can be mentally and emotionally tough or you can be mentally and emotionally soft. And physical size has nothing to do with it.

I think Murdock's comment was off base. You're not an insensitive prick. I would venture to say that you developed that way as a coping mechanism. You had no other choice than to continue doing your job. You didn't have the ability to mourn and process in a healthy manner because someone else's life could be on the line in the next 30 minutes. I've heard about tenured doctors saying that "a death becomes another number at some point". I'm not sure how true it is, but someone who sees death and tragedy often probably develops this way out of necessity. 

I also don't think it is fair to call them soft. Not everyone has that coping mechanism. If you and I were out and about and we came across a tragic scene, maybe a horrific car accident, it would probably really affect me but you may not bat an eye. I've never seen anything like that in person - you have. I just haven't learned how to process it, but I would argue that it doesn't make me a soft person. Calling them "soft" may be insensitive, but I don't think you're doing it out of malice. Your experiences have shifted your perspective and hardened you. You have different expectations, but there are cases where those expectations may be too harsh or unrealistic. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right, I feel like this is an apples/oranges type of thing. People are equating a GAME played for entertainment to real life important to society scenarios. Look at it like this, if you go to the local theater to catch a play and one of the cast members has a heart attack....or a concert and the singer has an aneurysm....does the show go on? No, it doesn't. I think that's a more fair comparison than police officers or soldiers. 

Actually, the play would most likely open the next night with an understudy taking over the part. Obviously a singer is harder to replace.
Reply/Quote