Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
(01-04-2023, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's only been 48 hours since the injury. 

Let them get back to a normal routine and by Friday/Saturday, they'll be mentally ready. 

Everyone is still just half in shock and in a holding pattern waiting on news of Damar.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:50 PM)samhain Wrote: It's bad all around.  If those guys go out there and their heads aren't in the game, somebody will get hurt.  I have zero doubt that the Ravens will be very okay with coming into Paycor and beating a team that doesn't really want to be there.  

And those players who choose not to play will wind up feeling doubly guilty if their backup is in there and gets injured. Not to mention the fringe roster guys who are counting on playoff checks. The game (Baltimore) is going to be played. Players need to decide if they will be there for their teammates or not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Clickbait.  Mellow

After watching more of his presser, agree.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:30 PM)samhain Wrote: I kind of agree.  Difference here is we're dealing with guys who can afford not to play for as long as they want.  

We're dealing with guys (not just players) who are putting an 18-billion-dollar industry on hold in response to something that they can do absolutely nothing about, who are dithering instead of making a decision about a suspended game, and who decided only 5 hours ago that the Bengals would play at 10 am on Sun.  Leadership much?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:56 PM)Tony Wrote: This is gonna be an asterisk season  for the AFC... No way they can make this fair anyway they do it... I'm thinking this is really gonna destroy the roll we had going too. The press conference was so somber and different. No energy. Basically just saying we gotta do what we gotta do...

This might not come across real well, but a fact of human nature is, those with a good amount of tact will say "the right thing" while feeling somewhat different inside. 

No one is going to come out and say, "man! i'm ready to get back to football this Sunday!". In the current climate, that would be seen as insensitive, so the right thing to do is show compassion, say the right things and then focus and prepare for an important game this Sunday. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This might not come across real well, but a fact of human nature is, those with a good amount of tact will say "the right thing" while feeling somewhat different inside. 

No one is going to come out and say, "man! i'm ready to get back to football this Sunday!". In the current climate, that would be seen as insensitive, so the right thing to do is show compassion, say the right things and then focus and prepare for an important game this Sunday. 

You got a point man.. I didn't even look at it like that..
Reply/Quote
I didn’t take that sentiment away from the press conference at all, although I wouldn’t blame any of them for needing more time away. I thought Zac, Joe and DJ were all forthright as they could be while retaining some privacy for those involved in the situation. When the questions came up about being able to play again this weekend, a possible reschedule of the Bills game and about playing in the NFL in general, they were honest in that they’d prefer not to be playing again so soon, but that’s what they signed up for. I think the important part to realize here is the trauma they experienced watching the resuscitation efforts up close. That’s something that will likely stick with all those guys for a long time
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:46 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Soldier is definitely a more dangerous career.  I'd say police and firefighter as well. 

Absolutely First Responders have my utmost respect.

I listed what I did because how many times to we hear them say:

"We're going to was"., "We're Soldiers"

I heard a first responder getting interviewed yesterday and she took issue with everyone saying this is a tragedy. She said It is a miracle. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This might not come across real well, but a fact of human nature is, those with a good amount of tact will say "the right thing" while feeling somewhat different inside. 

I agree…Especially at a nationally Aired press conference
Reply/Quote
Other than potentially Tee Higgins, who I would understand, all healthy Bengals need to play this week.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely First Responders have my utmost respect.

I listed what I did because how many times to we hear them say:

"We're going to was"., "We're Soldiers"

I heard a first responder getting interviewed yesterday and she took issue with everyone saying this is a tragedy. She said It is a miracle. 
People are calling it a tragedy because everyone's acting like the kid is dead.
Reply/Quote
If Damar shows some very promising signs in the next few days, guys will be fired up to play. I wouldn’t put much thought into anything the guys are saying now. Nobody wants to seem heartless or insensitive at this time. It’s completely understandable.
Reply/Quote
Here is the full context of DJ answering the question about playing

https://twitter.com/markvslaughter/status/1610774334796185602?s=46&t=cEFihRc1CVRr135wLPGZxA
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry, but that's soft. Go ahead and flame me for saying it, but it is. Hamlin is not dead. They are acting like the funeral is tomorrow.

In general i agree. That's how i personally would look at it from the outside. As brutal and harrowing as the injury was, he was treated quickly and looks to be improving daily. At some point, being professional athletes in a multibillion dollar industry, you are expected to focus on your job and move forward. I've already pointed out multiple times about how active players have actually died in terrible ways and game were played days later. Sometimes, the very next day. 

Though, i will stop short at telling anyone what that time should be and i'm not going to lie, i don't know that too many people would consider me the most compassionate person on earth, a short while after a traumatic event. Being completely transparent, yesterday i started thinking about how 'it figures that just as the Bengals are about to cement themselves as one of, if not the top, teams and continue their roll to the playoffs, something like this happens'. But don't worry. My wife was quick to comment about 'so sorry that someone almost died and ruined your football game' with heavy sarcasm. I'd have to imagine that if it was one of the Bengals safeties that it happened to, i'd likely feel a bit different about it. 

One thing i'll add, being someone who is experienced in walking into the back of an emergency room (without any advanced warning) and seeing a paramedic on top of a loved one, giving them CPR, is different than hearing about someone's death. Probably a lot different than most people realize. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Jamarr horsing around a bit with and getting a smile out of Tee at practice

https://twitter.com/fox19jeremy/status/1610810275132760064?s=46&t=cEFihRc1CVRr135wLPGZxA
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:05 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Based on what I am hearing about the press conference and DJ’s comments that this team is packing it in for at least the Ravens.  How will it carry over to the play offs.  You just can’t turn on a switch and the drive comes back.  Ravens going come in a bash this team in the mouth.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

omg...no one said anything about "packing it in". 

[Image: confused-no.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In general i agree. That's how i personally would look at it from the outside. As brutal and harrowing as the injury was, he was treated quickly and looks to be improving daily. At some point, being professional athletes in a multibillion dollar industry, you are expected to focus on your job and move forward. I've already pointed out multiple times about how active players have actually died in terrible ways and game were played days later. Sometimes, the very next day. 

Though, i will stop short at telling anyone what that time should be and i'm not going to lie, i don't know that too many people would consider me the most compassionate person on earth, a short while after a traumatic event. Being completely transparent, yesterday i started thinking about how 'it figures that just as the Bengals are about to cement themselves as one of, if not the top, teams and continue their roll to the playoffs, something like this happens'. But don't worry. My wife was quick to comment about 'so sorry that someone almost died and ruined your football game' with heavy sarcasm. I'd have to imagine that if it was one of the Bengals safeties that it happened to, i'd likely feel a bit different about it. 

One thing i'll add, being someone who is experienced in walking into the back of an emergency room (without any advanced warning) and seeing a paramedic on top of a loved one, giving them CPR, is different than hearing about someone's death. Probably a lot different than most people realize. 

Yep, and I posted yesterday my wife considers me callous when it comes to stuff like this. Having watched so many die, often in tragic ways and especially children in car crashes, this just doesn't register with me as being that big a deal. Train keeps rolling, with or without you. Clear the call and move on to the next one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry, but that's soft. Go ahead and flame me for saying it, but it is. Hamlin is not dead. They are acting like the funeral is tomorrow.

No flaming from me.  Softer than Charmin. Circle the gdamn wagons!  Let's play football !!!  Not politically correct but most of you are quietly thinking the same.

I understand people react differently to a traumatic event , plus I was watching from a lounge chair wearing house slippers and eating a Zero Candy bar.

Guess it's easy for me to circle my wagon. Bad things happen in life every day. I'd like to think our men will call on their toughness and resiliency and be ready to kick some Ravens ass. Otherwise, it may be a sorry end to what was on the verge of being another special season. Suck it up, Reader!!!
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And those players who choose not to play will wind up feeling doubly guilty if their backup is in there and gets injured. Not to mention the fringe roster guys who are counting on playoff checks. The game (Baltimore) is going to be played. Players need to decide if they will be there for their teammates or not.

My money says that not a single healthy Bengal doesn't suit up this Sunday... They're 48 hours removed from seeing a pretty disturbing event. They know what's at stake, and they'll be ready.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:11 PM)TKUHL Wrote: If Damar shows some very promising signs in the next few days, guys will be fired up to play. I wouldn’t put much thought into anything the guys are saying now. Nobody wants to seem heartless or insensitive at this time. It’s completely understandable.

All that it takes is hearing that he is 'awake and alert' and the switch is flipped instantly.

Man...there's so much that can be said for the brain and conditioning...but that's a discussion for another time. 

Reply/Quote