Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
(01-04-2023, 11:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, and I posted yesterday my wife considers me callous when it comes to stuff like this. Having watched so many die, often in tragic ways and especially children in car crashes, this just doesn't register with me as being that big a deal. Train keeps rolling, with or without you. Clear the call and move on to the next one. 

Have to admit, that's an experience and mentality few have access to though. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
*sitting anxiously by the phone for Coach to call me up*

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Reader is one of my favorite players too. But this is getting a little over the top.

If Hamlin had died I could understand, but he is alive and at least showing minor positive signs.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In general i agree. That's how i personally would look at it from the outside. As brutal and harrowing as the injury was, he was treated quickly and looks to be improving daily. At some point, being professional athletes in a multibillion dollar industry, you are expected to focus on your job and move forward. I've already pointed out multiple times about how active players have actually died in terrible ways and game were played days later. Sometimes, the very next day. 

Though, i will stop short at telling anyone what that time should be and i'm not going to lie, i don't know that too many people would consider me the most compassionate person on earth, a short while after a traumatic event. Being completely transparent, yesterday i started thinking about how 'it figures that just as the Bengals are about to cement themselves as one of, if not the top, teams and continue their roll to the playoffs, something like this happens'. But don't worry. My wife was quick to comment about 'so sorry that someone almost died and ruined your football game' with heavy sarcasm. I'd have to imagine that if it was one of the Bengals safeties that it happened to, i'd likely feel a bit different about it. 

One thing i'll add, being someone who is experienced in walking into the back of an emergency room (without any advanced warning) and seeing a paramedic on top of a loved one, giving them CPR, is different than hearing about someone's death. Probably a lot different than most people realize. 

Bro, same thing happened to me a little over 3 years ago… 30 minutes of CPR while trying to get him on the heart/lung bypass machine. Unfortunately he didn’t make it and left behind my (then) 5 year old niece. My uncle duties, and brother to my sister had to step up. I was asked on the spot to pray for my family - my parents, my sister, my wife my brother in laws mom and his brother. I also was asked to write the obituary and then give a speech at the funeral.

That shook me, for a while and it still hurts. Once you experience that, it changes you… it did for me anyway. I have more empathy for others in that situation, than I used to, but it de-sensitized things for me. If that makes sense.

I can understand how the bills players/family is feeling. But there is the other side of needing to get back to life. It’s NOT easy, but it gets easier with time.

Plus by all accounts, the tests/progress that has shed positive light are likely the same tests I saw performed with no such luck. It also doesn’t hurt that we are talking about a young professional athlete, which does only help the prognosis.

But your right, Sean Taylor, Chris Henry, dale earnhardt, the HS kid that passed away due to a heat stroke, the list goes on.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This might not come across real well, but a fact of human nature is, those with a good amount of tact will say "the right thing" while feeling somewhat different inside. 

No one is going to come out and say, "man! i'm ready to get back to football this Sunday!". In the current climate, that would be seen as insensitive, so the right thing to do is show compassion, say the right things and then focus and prepare for an important game this Sunday. 

Bro, I hope so badly you are right!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:40 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: *sitting anxiously by the phone for Coach to call me up*

I'll lace 'em up for the Game Day check. I don't like our chances if I ever see the field, but I'll give it a go
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:42 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Bro, same thing happened to me a little over 3 years ago… 30 minutes of CPR while trying to get him on the heart/lung bypass machine. Unfortunately he didn’t make it and left behind my (then) 5 year old niece.  My uncle duties, and brother to my sister had to step up.  I was asked on the spot to pray for my family - my parents, my sister, my wife my brother in laws mom and his brother.  I also was asked to write the obituary and then give a speech at the funeral.

That shook me, for a while and it still hurts.  Once you experience that, it changes you… it did for me anyway.  I have more empathy for others in that situation, than I used to, but it de-sensitized things for me. If that makes sense.

I can understand how the bills players/family is feeling. But there is the other side of needing to get back to life.  It’s NOT easy, but it gets easier with time.  

Plus by all accounts, the tests/progress that has shed positive light are likely the same tests I saw performed with no such luck.  It also doesn’t hurt that we are talking about a young professional athlete, which does only help the prognosis.

But your right, Sean Taylor, Chris Henry, dale earnhardt, the HS kid that passed away due to a heat stroke, the list goes on.

I can understand that 834%. It's what...allows...me to make my previous post. 

I can start to choke up and shed tears at things i never would have before. Sappy parts of movies, hearing about something that happened to someone, etc., but i can also be completely blank in other situations where you would expect someone to react to something traumatic. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:21 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: Jamarr horsing around a bit with and getting a smile out of Tee at practice

https://twitter.com/fox19jeremy/status/1610810275132760064?s=46&t=cEFihRc1CVRr135wLPGZxA

Thanks for sharing that!  Definitely gives me some hope we didn't completely lose the magic.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll lace 'em up for the Game Day check. I don't like our chances if I ever see the field, but I'll give it a go
Glad to have you on board. If nothing else, I'm sure that between the two of us we will compose one hell of a speech to inspire the men. Get Sunset and Breech to join and we'll have this.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Do you not see a difference in people who sign up to work a job knowing death is likely versus guys who play a sport and saw something no one ever expected.

Your take on this is shit.

Everyone handles things differently. So calling him soft for his reaction to seeing another player lay on the field with no heartbeat just shows that you are an insensitive prick. Cheers.

I wouldn’t call death “likely” as a first responder, or even signing up for the military. Yes, it is possible in that field, but not likely.

Does construction stop when a an ill times death occurs?

Fwiw, reader is not soft, nor is anyone in the NFL. This whole thing boils down to lack of leadership at the top… AKa, goodell, who hasn’t said a word, instead sending Troy Vincent to do the dirty work.

Someone, anyone, needs to make a decision on moving the NFL forward. The employees will follow suit, while STILL dealing with this on their own and how they see fit. It isn’t impossible to do both at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Do you not see a difference in people who sign up to work a job knowing death is likely versus guys who play a sport and saw something no one ever expected.

Your take on this is shit.

Everyone handles things differently. So calling him soft for his reaction to seeing another player lay on the field with no heartbeat just shows that you are an insensitive prick. Cheers.

IDK of any profession where "death is likely"

I agree that we shouldn't throw around derogatory names/ 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
"You have guys that you care about that I think everyone out there was watching it and thinking that could be me, that could be any of us in this locker room," Burrow said. "So, one, I just wanted to make sure everyone knows in that locker room how I feel about them, make sure I tell them that, and at the same time, trying to let everyone know that we still got a game to play, we still got a job to do. We still got goals and aspirations ahead of us for the season, as tough as that is right now, but that's where we're at."

Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals will be just fine in this game Sunday against the Ravens.I wouldn’t make the mistake of underestimating them.This Bengals team is disciplined and tough.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry, but that's soft. Go ahead and flame me for saying it, but it is. Hamlin is not dead. They are acting like the funeral is tomorrow.

The best way to move on is to just get back to the grind, imo. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK of any profession where "death is likely"

I agree that we shouldn't throw around derogatory names/ 

Agree… death isn’t “likely” in any profession.

The highest death rate per profession is loggers at 111:100,000

Firefighters is 20:100,000
Police officers 14:100,000

You are more likely to die being a farmer, delivery driver, garbage collector, roofer and others than being a first responder.

https://www.ishn.com/articles/112748-top-25-most-dangerous-jobs-in-the-united-states
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "You have guys that you care about that I think everyone out there was watching it and thinking that could be me, that could be any of us in this locker room," Burrow said. "So, one, I just wanted to make sure everyone knows in that locker room how I feel about them, make sure I tell them that, and at the same time, trying to let everyone know that we still got a game to play, we still got a job to do. We still got goals and aspirations ahead of us for the season, as tough as that is right now, but that's where we're at."

Beautiful statement. 

Where'd you find that?

I think Reader ends up playing but just, right now, they're all still probably in shock and still trying to process everything.
Reply/Quote
I love that Reader is thinking this way. And after that Burrow comment above it shows we have good human beings on this team. That can never be a bad thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:26 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Beautiful statement. 

Where'd you find that?

I think Reader ends up playing but just, right now, they're all still probably in shock and still trying to process everything.

Down towards the bottom. 

https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-burrow-zac-taylor-and-bengals-leadership-on-display-as-they-embrave-dama-

Reply/Quote
The whole team has been playing hard all year to get to this spot a chance at winning the division and getting the best seed they can in the playoffs. In the DJ interview I never heard him say he would not play. What he did say was if you do not go out there and give it your all and play hard on offense or defense you can get injured. I agree with him if your heart is not in it then it is best the player sits out and next man up at that point.

Burrow said he wants to play he thinks getting back to work is the best way for him to deal with things. We are all wired differently one way is not better than the other way people just cope with things differently. The ravens are going to come to play hard we got to meet them with that same intensity. It is like when the Bills had the ball in our redzone I yelled at the TV bow up D and we got the stop held them to a field goal. That is what our team needs to do this week as well as the Bills we both got to bow up and go play hard.

Hope everything turns out for #3 we all sent up prayers or well wishes and will continue to do so.

I will be rooting for my team this weekend Who Dey.
Reply/Quote
I fought in a war and numerous conflicts. Saw many people die. Everyone deals with grief differently but it isn't going away. Returning to normalcy is what helped me most. You either let it destroy you or let it fuel you. Rest of the nfl isn't letting it stop them.
Reply/Quote