Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
(01-04-2023, 10:05 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Based on what I am hearing about the press conference and DJ’s comments that this team is packing it in for at least the Ravens.  How will it carry over to the play offs.  You just can’t turn on a switch and the drive comes back.  Ravens going come in a bash this team in the mouth.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rest starters then

If Zac gets the idea that this is how the players feel, he should rest the starters. We already clinched who cares. Cheifs arent letting that 1 seed go to the weak ass Broncos. Cmon
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry, but that's soft. Go ahead and flame me for saying it, but it is. Hamlin is not dead. They are acting like the funeral is tomorrow.

I'm backing off my shoulda played that night stance as I believe I am wrong about that, but not being prepared to play a week later is a little much.  And you are correct, not only is he not dead, all updates so far have at least been in a positive direction.  It's possible he even makes a full recovery.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:46 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Soldier is definitely a more dangerous career.  I'd say police and firefighter as well. 

Lots of professions. Highway worker, construction worker. Football is dangerous as far as injury and long term effects of injuries, but not as far as life and death.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Rest starters then

If Zac gets the idea that this is how the players feel, he should rest the starters. We already clinched who cares. Cheifs arent letting that 1 seed go to the weak ass Broncos. Cmon

Chiefs are playing the Raiders, who damn near beat the smoking red hot 49ers last week and took them to OT.

It's the first game also, so we will know if we have a chance at 1st seed depending on what happens with Bills/Bengals game.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:05 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Based on what I am hearing about the press conference and DJ’s comments that this team is packing it in for at least the Ravens.  How will it carry over to the play offs.  You just can’t turn on a switch and the drive comes back.  Ravens going come in a bash this team in the mouth.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was going to respond with something similar to this.  The saving grace is that it's early in the week and still less than 48 hours after it happened.  Maybe with a few more days of practice and meetings, and with some more positive news from the hospital,  they'll get to a better place with this and be able to focus on the game.  Otherwise, they'll get a Baltimore team not dealing with this situation from a first-hand perspective who'll come into Paycor and wrest the division right away from them.  Two road playoff games is bad enough, you don't want to have three.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I'm extremely concerned that the "mojo" this Bengals team had may be completely wiped out after this tragedy.

Really hope they can rally and pull it together for a playoff run.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Right now the Ravens are frothing at the mouth to steal the division and it sounds like our guys are going to lie xown and let them do it. Meanwhile the Bills are practicing
Reply/Quote
Last night, my wife mentioned to me that people would stop caring and really be over it within a day or two, and start crying that people weren’t entertaining them if this ended up affecting more than just this one game.

Now we have random internet losers calling DJ Reader “soft” for saying that he “isn’t in the mental space to say he wants to play right now” a day and a half after watching one of his peers almost die on the field after a routine play.

People are soft as ****.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I respect Dj and believe he has to do what he feels is right.

I also feel like it's going to be a tough deal if some dudes are ready to go (Burrow) and others aren't so sure. This team has outstanding chemistry and I don't want a wedge driven into it because some players want to go and others don't. That could cost the bengals the division and I'm not sure every player would be copacetic with that result.

At some point, the game in general has to go on. Prolonging things doesn't honor Damar Hamlin in any way shape or form. Honestly, it probably makes things worse on a macro level.

They weren't on-field incidents, but the 09 team played 4 days after learning that Chris Henry was dead. They played when Mike Zimmer's wife passed. They played when Adam Zimmer died this year.
Reply/Quote
Joe said his way of dealing with this is to try and get back to doing what's normal...which in this case, is playing the next game. I guess the question is how much of the team feels the same. He noted that there have been side discussions, but nothing in terms of a team meeting yet. That's probably coming soon.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:20 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Last night, my wife mentioned to me that people would stop caring and really be over it within a day or two, and start crying that people weren’t entertaining them if this ended up affecting more than just this one game.

Now we have random internet losers calling DJ Reader “soft” for saying that he “isn’t in the mental space to say he wants to play right now” a day and a half after watching one of his peers almost die on the field after a routine play.

People are soft as ****.

Do you think cops or firemen get to just stop working everytime they watch someone die? Do soldiers get to stop fighting? What about nurses and doctors who watch a child die? Nope, nobody gets to just crawl in a hole, you move on and do your job. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:36 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: It's still 3.5 days til the game Sunday.  As days go by it will get easier and if there is good news by then, that could really help with the emotional turmoil some are dealing with.

That depends on Hamlin condition 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you think cops or firemen get to just stop working everytime they watch someone die? Do soldiers get to stop fighting? What about nurses and doctors who watch a child die? Nope, nobody gets to just crawl in a hole, you move on and do your job. 

I kind of agree.  Difference here is we're dealing with guys who can afford not to play for as long as they want.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:30 PM)samhain Wrote: I kind of agree.  Difference here is we're dealing with guys who can afford not to play for as long as they want.  

Reader is one of my favorite players too. But this is getting a little over the top.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The vast majority of people would be mortified if everything changed because of them. When he wakes up, if it’s to an NFL that has rearranged itself and changed their schedule, and players aren’t playing, I would think he would feel responsible. I’m serious when I say don’t put that in this young man.

That’s actually a good point. I would feel bad too if players around the league couldn’t bring themselves to play, and lose a pay check? (Not sure on that). He probably appreciates all the love and support but wants people to keep doing them and stay mentally strong. Idk, that’s j
How I would feel.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:13 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Chiefs are playing the Raiders, who damn near beat the smoking red hot 49ers last week and took them to OT.

It's the first game also, so we will know if we have a chance at 1st seed depending on what happens with Bills/Bengals game.

I fully believe the Raiders will beat the Chiefs on Saturday.  KC has been scraping by ever since the game vs us a month ago.  Maybe if that happens it will get our players up enough to try on Sunday.  

As long as Jackson is not starting, our defense should be fine.  What does worry me is our offense taking a bunch of hits against their tough defense, and injuries occur as a result of their heads not being in the game.  I hope there is some leadership on this team that can get them back on track in a hurry.  

Again, though, all of this would not matter (at least for one more week) if the NFL would come out and say what their plans are about that postponed game.     
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Reader is one of my favorite players too. But this is getting a little over the top.

It's bad all around.  If those guys go out there and their heads aren't in the game, somebody will get hurt.  I have zero doubt that the Ravens will be very okay with coming into Paycor and beating a team that doesn't really want to be there.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:16 PM)Tony Wrote: Reader doesn't know if he's gonna play.. Kinda knew some of this was coming. Not good..
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1610774265300647939?t=sFRryYCxIaUPkpJN6ILIzw&s=19

Clickbait.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:22 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Been telling you guys, the idea that we should just continue the Bills game the same week (even the same day according to some!)... the Bills should forfeit as they can't play.... was incredibly assumptive that the Bengals were ready. From what Burrow said, and this, seems the Bengals are far less ready than some guys here are ready to sign them up for.

I hope this hasn't taken a toll on too many guys, but I do think we need to be prepared for the idea that Sunday's game will be difficult.

It's only been 48 hours since the injury. 

Let them get back to a normal routine and by Friday/Saturday, they'll be mentally ready. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's only been 48 hours since the injury. 

Let them get back to a normal routine and by Friday/Saturday, they'll be mentally ready. 

Agree. They will be fine.

Reply/Quote