Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Bengals Keep 7 WR's?
They absolutely carry 7 maybe 8 WRs. I do expect a lot of 4 WR and 5 WR sets this year. It's Burrow's strength and if everyone is healthy, there will be some serious matchup problems.
Reply/Quote
For what its worth...James Rapien with SI has them keeping 8

Wide Receiver (8) — A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross III, Auden Tate, Tee Higgins, Mike Thomas, Alex Erickson, Stanley Morgan Jr.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
From all accounts Erickson having a great camp.. I don;t see him being cut..also with less emphasis on TE.. we might go with more WRs than norm.. and less TE
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:26 PM)pally Wrote: For what its worth...James Rapien with SI has them keeping 8

Wide Receiver (8) — A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross III, Auden Tate, Tee Higgins, Mike Thomas, Alex Erickson, Stanley Morgan Jr.

And I was going to come into this thread in the first place, to say that we pick 8.

THIS YEAR, with who we have and how they're performing, you have to go light on Teams, at DB or something similar.

Wish they would jettison Carter lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The new extended PS that allows vets with unlimited service time in 6 spots, might be the perfect spot for Erickson.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 11:29 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Typically they keep 6 WR's, but who is the odd man out if they don't?

Locks:
AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

Ross?
Thomas?
Erickson?

Have to keep 7 to keep all listed. Thomas has had a great camp with all the receivers being held out so far. I can't see them cutting Ross. Is Erickson on the chopping block?

Should be interesting to see what we do with this group.

Consider the following:

1. They won't cut Ross as he might actually become a consistent player some time this season and they've invested too much into him. After AJ, Boyd and Higgins, Ross is probably the only other guy capable of a 600 yard season - although don't tell anyone I said that as they might go into shock and keel over on the spot.
2. Zac Taylor can't seem to figure out how to use TEs even though they kept 4 of them last season, if I remember correctly. So there is a chance that we'll see 3 TEs on the roster.
3. The team just signed Thomas this off-season.
4. AJ is coming off injuries and Ross is coming off injuries (and has never played a season without going on IR), so they'll pretty much need to keep 7 I think.
5. Erickson, as likable as he is, is mostly a returner and is easily replaceable - so he'd be the first to go and he could be replaced by another WR if the team finds one it likes better.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Consider the following:

1. They won't cut Ross as he might actually become a consistent player some time this season and they've invested too much into him. After AJ, Boyd and Higgins, Ross is probably the only other guy capable of a 600 yard season - although don't tell anyone I said that as they might go into shock and keel over on the spot.
2. Zac Taylor can't seem to figure out how to use TEs even though they kept 4 of them last season, if I remember correctly. So there is a chance that we'll see 3 TEs on the roster.
4. AJ is coming off injuries and Ross is coming off injuries (and has never played a season without going on IR), so they'll pretty much need to keep 7 I think.
5. Erickson, as likable as he is, is mostly a returner and is easily replaceable - so he'd be the first to go and he could be replaced by another WR if the team finds one it likes better.

I about keeled over lol
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I was going to come into this thread in the first place, to say that we pick 8.

THIS YEAR, with who we have and how they're performing, you have to go light on Teams, at DB or something similar.

Wish they would jettison Carter lol

The past couple of years they've kept 4 TEs.  This year it is likely they are keeping 3 (Uzomah, Sample, Carter).  Carter is a major part of special teams which is why he'll be kept over Masom Schreck (likely PS)  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:26 PM)pally Wrote: The past couple of years they've kept 4 TEs.  This year it is likely they are keeping 3 (Uzomah, Sample, Carter).  Carter is a major part of special teams which is why he'll be kept over Masom Schreck (likely PS)  

I agree, sadly (I like Schreck a lot more than Carter).
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I about keeled over lol

LOL. Ya know I don't hate Ross at all. I just don't like it when people act like he's already done a good job at WR when he's really been very inconsistent, then you add on the injuries and he's done very little overall. AJ had over 3000 yards going into his 4th year and that's pretty much what we should expect.

Hopefully he'll mature into a legit guy this year.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: LOL. Ya know I don't hate Ross at all. I just don't like it when people act like he's already done a good job at WR when he's really been very inconsistent, then you add on the injuries and he's done very little overall. AJ had over 3000 yards going into his 4th year and that's pretty much what we should expect.

Hopefully he'll mature into a legit guy this year.

We have always argued a bit over Ross but you have been right more than I have sadly.

Agree with everything you say here.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You can't pay a well below average punt returner 2.3 mil. Not to mention he only carries about 200k in dead cap space, so we'd save almost his entire salary. And he'll be 28 in two months.

Cutting Erickson would save $1.9m but his replacement (let's say Mike Thomas) would cost $850,000, so the saving works out at just $1.05m. In the grand scheme of things, when you are paying AJ Green more than that a game this year, this shouldn't be a move dictated by financial considerations.

(08-25-2020, 06:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The new extended PS that allows vets with unlimited service time in 6 spots, might be the perfect spot for Erickson.

How does that work contract wise? If they cut him in order to put him on the extended PS does that nullify his existing contract (and incur dead money) and he then has to sign a new contract?

(08-25-2020, 07:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Consider the following:

I wouldn't read anything into that. How many of last year's FA signings (John Miller, Kerry Wynn, BW Webb etc) are still here? Look at last year's draft picks (DeShaun Davis and Jordan Brown) that didn't even make it onto the Practice Squad. If he makes it (and I think he does), he earns it on his play in camp not because he was a cheap off-season acquisition.
Reply/Quote
Erickson wouldn't last 5 minutes on the practice squad before another team poached him.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 08:27 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Cutting Erickson would save $1.9m but his replacement (let's say Mike Thomas) would cost $850,000, so the saving works out at just $1.05m. In the grand scheme of things, when you are paying AJ Green more than that a game this year, this shouldn't be a move dictated by financial considerations.

How does that work contract wise? If they cut him in order to put him on the extended PS does that nullify his existing contract (and incur dead money) and he then has to sign a new contract?

I wouldn't read anything into that. How many of last year's FA signings (John Miller, Kerry Wynn, BW Webb etc) are still here? Look at last year's draft picks (DeShaun Davis and Jordan Brown) that didn't even make it onto the Practice Squad. If he makes it (and I think he does), he earns it on his play in camp not because he was a cheap off-season acquisit
I don't know, but I would assume that's the process. You have to cut/waive a player before you can sign them to a PS contract.
Reply/Quote
Erickson would be signed quickly with a team looking for a 4th WR and experienced
Return guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 08:27 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: I wouldn't read anything into that. How many of last year's FA signings (John Miller, Kerry Wynn, BW Webb etc) are still here? Look at last year's draft picks (DeShaun Davis and Jordan Brown) that didn't even make it onto the Practice Squad. If he makes it (and I think he does), he earns it on his play in camp not because he was a cheap off-season acquisition.

Miller was clear that they wanted to go in a new direction.
Webb was clear that they upgraded the position lol
Wynn would probably still be on the team, but if he's still on the street and not even getting workouts, methinks his concussion was a really bad one.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 01:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think they carry 7 with 5 active on gameday. Trying out others at punt return I don't think is a sign they may cut Erickson, but could be a sign they may need him inactive some weeks which they will need other options on special teams.

Agreed. I wonder who will be the 5 that dress because #4 and #5 are special teams postions. Tee Higgins could be inactive on gamedays.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree, sadly (I like Schreck a lot more than Carter).

I agree and yet he doesn't seem to really get much in the way of mentions. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 11:56 AM)Synric Wrote: Agreed. I wonder who will be the 5 that dress because #4 and #5 are special teams postions. Tee Higgins could be inactive on gamedays.

Higgins and Thomas/Morgan, is my guess.

(08-27-2020, 12:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I agree and yet he doesn't seem to really get much in the way of mentions. 

I agree as well and I'm not sure why it's like that.
Reply/Quote
Higgins will be active on gameday. 1st RD talents dont sit on gameday unless it's a QB
Reply/Quote