Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music?
Honestly, I can’t think of one. Unlike Rock of the past where Rock Gods were every where, I’m struggling to find one in today’s music.

To me, there’s a difference between the status of Rock God & Rock Star. There’s plenty of Rock Stars like Dave Grohl or Kid Rock (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that).

I’d say all the members of Metallica are Gods as is Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam & maybe Flea & Anthony K of RHCP. But all of those guys couldn’t be considered contemporary, although they’re all still (somewhat) active.

So, are Rock Gods still being born, or are they a dead breed?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 09:54 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Honestly, I can’t think of one. Unlike Rock of the past where Rock Gods were every where, I’m struggling to find one in today’s music.

To me, there’s a difference between the status of Rock God & Rock Star. There’s plenty of Rock Stars like Dave Grohl or Kid Rock (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that).

I’d say all the members of Metallica are Gods as is Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam & maybe Flea & Anthony K of RHCP. But all of those guys couldn’t be considered contemporary, although they’re all still (somewhat) active.

I've thought about this before, and I'm not sure.  I look at the big festival headliners these days and am not overly inspired.  I like some of the newer bands, but there just aren't any that reach the status of a Jagger or Rose or Springsteen.  There aren't really even any Vedders or Reznors, to be honest.

I think electronic music and rap are the big draws these days, and that's had an effect.  Rap, particularly the modern styles, isn't my thing, but I think those guys are the modern versions of the old rock stars in terms of notoriety and personality.   It's going to be strange when the old timers pass.  They will become a dying breed sooner than we'd like to think.

I can't imagine being alive back in the 60's or 70s when you had dozens of legit ones running around and making music at the same time.  Some bands had 3 or 4 of them by themselves.  

There may indeed be guys in rock bands who are just as talented as the old icons, but they probably don't have the same audience that they once did.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 09:54 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Honestly, I can’t think of one. Unlike Rock of the past where Rock Gods were every where, I’m struggling to find one in today’s music.

I was gonna say the old bands that are still kicking are probly the closest thing like metallica... most are missing members.

as far as newer bands.. I cant think of one.  But its Success over time that elevates their status to god like eventually... So time will tell.

Gretta van Fleet... I believe is the name has a chance to skyrocket if they can keep producing songs the quality they have... they have that led zeppelin sound and its amazing
Reply/Quote
Wow, that is a really tough question to come up with a good answer to. Most artists from the 90's forward have either been appeals to niche audiences, or genres of rock that were temporary fads. Take the Grunge era, that was all of like what, 5-6 years? I can't find any transcendent artists from there. Hard rock made a comeback in the late 90's and into the 2000's with acts like Disturbed, Korn, Alice in Chains, etc. but their base of appeal was so small that they can hardly be considered as transcendent either.

The only modern era artist that I can award "Rock god" status to, is Kid Rock. He's been popular for over 20 years, his resume is so diverse that he's appealed to listeners who favor genre's across the musical spectrum.

So, there you have it. Kid Rock is the only modern Rock god.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He is nowhere near it now per just starting career.

Yet believe Marcus King will become the next SRV.

Still has a long hill to climb though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 08:22 PM)Go Cards Wrote: He is nowhere near it now per just starting career.

Yet believe Marcus King will become the next SRV.

Still has a long hill to climb though.

You know, I always had hoped that Kenny Wayne Sheppard would have stayed in the spotlight.  I felt the same way about him, as you do Marcus King, when KWS was just emerging.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Everything's Indie music now. There aren't labels like there used to be. Labels had a big hand in creating rock stars and rock gods are rock stars first. The whole business is vastly different. So many artists have so much internet access to get heard so the market is heavily saturated. And people don't pay for music like they used to either. Might never see rock gods again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, that is a really tough question to come up with a good answer to. Most artists from the 90's forward have either been appeals to niche audiences, or genres of rock that were temporary fads. Take the Grunge era, that was all of like what, 5-6 years? I can't find any transcendent artists from there. Hard rock made a comeback in the late 90's and into the 2000's with acts like Disturbed, Korn, Alice in Chains, etc. but their base of appeal was so small that they can hardly be considered as transcendent either.

The only modern era artist that I can award "Rock god" status to, is Kid Rock. He's been popular for over 20 years, his resume is so diverse that he's appealed to listeners who favor genre's across the musical spectrum.

So, there you have it. Kid Rock is the only modern Rock god.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.....

Kid Rock will never be a rock god in this household. Sure he had 4 or 5 good songs but after that it’s all garbage. Sorry Sunset, I can kind of see your point but Steven Tyler is still around. The Stones are still around. Hell, Cheap Trick is still kicking out new music. I’ll take any one of them over KR.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 11:40 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I just threw up a little in my mouth.....

Kid Rock will never be a rock god in this household.  Sure he had 4 or 5 good songs but after that it’s all garbage.   Sorry Sunset, I can kind of see your point but Steven Tyler is still around. The Stones are still around.  Hell, Cheap Trick is still kicking out new music. I’ll take any one of them over KR.

No need to be sorry for not agreeing.  However, just look at the names that you have mentioned.  They are all long established of the "rock god" status.  The point of the thread was asking what Rock gods exist in "today's" music.  

Sure, those old acts can manufacture a pop hit or two, to keep the revenue flowing.  However, your logic is to look at Grandpa's that are still makin' music, but now with the aid of "autotune".  Let's keep this to acts that have debuted since (I'll give an arbitrary date of 1990) and see how many anyone can come up with?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 12:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No need to be sorry for not agreeing.  However, just look at the names that you have mentioned.  They are all long established of the "rock god" status.  The point of the thread was asking what Rock gods exist in "today's" music.  

Sure, those old acts can manufacture a pop hit or two, to keep the revenue flowing.  However, your logic is to look at Grandpa's that are still makin' music, but now with the aid of "autotune".  Let's keep this to acts that have debuted since (I'll give an arbitrary date of 1990) and see how many anyone can come up with?

My rock gods will probably be vastly different than most people, but here goes.

Aaron Lewis
Ben Harper
Corey Taylor
Dave Matthews
Eddie Vedder
Dave Grohl
John Butler
Lenny’s kravitz
Les Claypool
Marilyn Manson
Rob Zombie
James Maynard Keenan from Tool
Jeff Tweedy from Wilco
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 12:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No need to be sorry for not agreeing.  However, just look at the names that you have mentioned.  They are all long established of the "rock god" status.  The point of the thread was asking what Rock gods exist in "today's" music.  

Agree, can name many of Gods from back in the day, not lately though.       

Yet think that has to do with how Rock sucked for couple decades. 

Do believe a lot of younger bands are going old school these days and some will emerge eventually. 

Am a big Blackberry Smoke fan as well but do not see them making to Rock God status. But Charlie Starr is damn good. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Music depends on the person.

Depending on who you ask guys like Sammie Hagar and Axel Rose couldn't measure up to The Beatles and The Who. Even those two couldn't measure up to Sammie Davis Jr and Frank Sinatra.

I was a late 90s teen so I'm partial to Buckcherry Audioslave Smashing Pumpkins Stone temple pilots Pearl Jam GodSmack etc...

Edit: Alice in chains will be at rock on the range this year...I was heartbroken Chris Cornell died a couple days before Soundgarden preformed at Rock on the range last year...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Alice in Chains had the chance, but drug overdoses did them in.  I had the fortune of seeing them live in 1996.....one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I also love KWS....I've seen him twice, and he kills it. I also liked Jonny Lang, but he fell off a cliff.

Buddy Guy is still out there scorching that Stratocaster.....if you haven't seen him, do it.  I've seen him 3 times, and I will go again.

I'd recommend Robert Randolph and the Family Band as well, he's uber talented, but so is the rest of the band.

The re-vamped Guns n Roses was great too, I was actually kinda shocked how good they still are.  Awesome show.

I know it doesn't fit the criteria, but Chuck Berry's last album was VERY good.

The Record Company is a new act to keep an eye on. I caught Blackberry Smoke last year, pretty damn good.

As McC noted, it's all Indie now, kinda hard to have a rock god these days.

Out of those still around from the 90s....

Kravitz
Vedder (even though I'm not a PJ fan, he was great solo at Bourbon & Beyond last year)
Tom Morello
Jack White
Zombie
Perry Ferrel
Jerry Cantrell
Derrick Trucks
Warren Haynes
Flea
Reznor
Claypool
Maynard James Keenan

Those that had a chance:

Dimebag Darrell
Layne Staley
Scott Weiland
Bradley Nowell (Sublime)
Chris Cornell
Cobain (even though I wasn't a Nirvana fan)

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Mellow

You're joking, right? 2 of the most overrated, over-exposed musicians of the past 30 years.

Metallica, yes, 100%.

EDIT*: Yes, you said, "maybe," that's true.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it all depends on each person and their own taste in music. Comes down to who you listen to, IMO. Hell, my mom thinks Elvis is a "rock god".

My personal list:

AC/DC
Pink Floyd
RUSH
Cheap Trick
Queen
Mettalica
REO Speedwagon
Eagles

And on and on...

Many may disagree with this list, but these are my "rock gods".
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Hard to overlook Paul Rodgers from back in the day (Free, Bad Company The Firm). In more recent years, I'm leaning toward Grace Potter. Leaning heavily actually. Could sit Susan Tedeschi up there too. And Joe Bonamassa.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 12:48 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I think it all depends on each person and their own taste in music.  Comes down to who you listen to, IMO.  Hell, my mom thinks Elvis is a "rock god".

My personal list:

AC/DC
Pink Floyd
RUSH
Cheap Trick
Queen
Mettalica
REO Speedwagon
Eagles

And on and on...

Many may disagree with this list, but these are my "rock gods".

If we go all time, here's mine:

Billy Gibbons
Freddie Mercury/Brian May
David Gilmour
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Ronnie Van Zandt
Steve Gaines
Robert Plant
Tommy Iommi
Ozzy
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmy Vaughan
Eddie Van Halen
Angus Young
Bon Scott
Kirk Hammett/Hetfield
Lemmy Kilmiester
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Pete Townsend/Daltry
Mark Knopfler
Slash
Gregg Allman

Blues Gods:

John Lee Hooker (the boogie beat he came up with is the synthesis of rock n roll)
Buddy Guy
Earl Hooker
Magic Sam
Freddie King
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
Johnny Winter
BB King

Reply/Quote
in case you all don't know the band I mentioned earlier...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: in case you all don't know the band I mentioned earlier...

Yeah man....what I've heard from them, I like.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: If we go all time, here's mine:

Billy Gibbons
Freddie Mercury/Brian May
David Gilmour
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Ronnie Van Zandt
Steve Gaines
Robert Plant
Tommy Iommi
Ozzy
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmy Vaughan
Eddie Van Halen
Angus Young
Bon Scott
Kirk Hammett/Hetfield
Lemmy Kilmiester
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Pete Townsend/Daltry
Mark Knopfler
Slash
Gregg Allman

Blues Gods:

John Lee Hooker (the boogie beat he came up with is the synthesis of rock n roll)
Buddy Guy
Earl Hooker
Magic Sam
Freddie King
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
Johnny Winter
BB King

Any list that has Lemmy on it, is top notch!  :)

I would just add Eddie Vedder to it, but I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan.  Gonna be getting my first PJ tat this summer hopefully. 

Also, I'd add Les Claypool.  hands down the greatest bass player IMO. 

Reply/Quote