Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do The Bengals Finally Do The Right Thing?
I don't think Austin game-plans well. I'm sorry for repeating myself, he doesn't have the confidence of his players. They hate this. They're a good group of guys, but they know their talents aren't being put to their best use. Seems like they're never in position to make a play. (Forget Tampa Bay and the 4 INTs including a pick 6. Winston is horrible. Don't judge this defense by the first half of that game. Winston's not an NFL QB. Not a good one anyway.)

I don't see Haslett as an answer. We need to hire best DC available. The change needs to come from outside the organization if we're going to have any shot of saving this season. It's taking water and sinking fast.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I cant see evidence that Austin does any aspect of his job well. It has been massive fail in every aspect for him. He has single-handedly made this team not worth sticking around on a Sunday to watch for me. Its really not even fun to watch that kind of football. It literally looks like a practice/scrimmage when we are on D, and that we are just there as props, to give our opponent some live practice against a super soft, phony D. I'd rather just read the articles when we play like that. The actual product on the field is not worth 5 cents to me.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 07:27 PM)kalibengal Wrote: lets give Titans some credit....their D looks impressive last few times I have watched them . ML and Teryl Austin should take notes

No,they should take their asses and be forced out of Cincinnati 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:16 PM)JumboTron Wrote: We know Marvin won't be fired at any point prior to the completion of the season.

But Teryl Austin has to be fired tonight, or tomorrow at the latest.  This is not "making a change just for sake of making a change" nonsense, this is something that must be done.  Have a serious meeting tonight about the particulars and announce the termination tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Continuing to employ a coach so blatantly incompetent at performing the duties he is assigned is an atrocity.

But again, this is the Cincinnati Bengals we are talking about.  But man, a change must be made, and tonight.

There is no quick fix band aid.  First they do have to let Marvin Lewis go.  A huge problem is who they can hire.  Bengals could never get a good head coach to come to Cincinnati under Mike Brown.  Mike Brown is still here.  THAT is going to be a problem. 

So they get rid of Lewis and somehow get a good Head Coach, not another Dave Shula type.  I now agree Austin needs gone.  I would hope they keep the O Line coach from Dallas, however the new Head Coach has to OK it.  It could be a new Head Coach wants all new coaches. 

A new Head Coach should mean he has say in his coaching staff. Again, we are dealing with Mike Brown.

So they get new Head Coach, a lot of players stink. Many players have to go. Burfict and Eifert have to go. They both sit out more games than they play in each year. They can't be counted on to suit up, and both have seen better days as players. Forget 5 years ago, we are talking rebuilding in 2019 and they don't fit any more. # 36 Williams has to go. He is one of the worst defensive backs ever, play after play. He just doesn't have NFL talent to keep up, that simple.

The linebackers can't pass cover. The Defensive backs are awful. The O Line still needs a lot of help as bad as it was last year. TE is now a weak area.

The Bengals will not be able to answer all the problems in the 2019 draft. They must let a new Head Coach bring in Free Agents. Maybe even trade draft picks for proven NFL players the new coach wants.

It's easy to say we need a new Head Coach. Lets face it, we pretty much need a new team. There are a few players a new Head Coach would want to keep, but not many. Many of these slugs need fired and pounding the pavement. Our needs are so many. I can see keeping Dalton to Green at first. Mixon, Boyd, Price. Atkins, Dunlap. Huber. I said at first they may want to keep them. A new head coach is going to have to deal with the lack of good linebackers, defensive backs, O Line. Tight End. After that, he may want to draft QB in 2020. A new head coach means Big Changes.

There is no quick fix band aid for Bengals. They won 6 games in 2016, 7 games in 2017. They may win 7 or 8 games in 2018. They are NOT a good team, far from it. They do OK against weak teams. Good teams lay them low including Steelers.

The Colts brought in Tony Dungy from Tampa. The Chiefs brought in Andy Reid from Eagles. I don't see Mike Brown doing anything like that. Mike Brown and Family still want total control, and good Head Coaches always refused to even consider the Brown Family situation. Still, that is no reason to keep Marvin Lewis at this point. His time is up.

If the Bengals hire from within, then it won't be Austin, so then Lazor as Head Coach. If they hire from within. I do NOT want Hue Jackson back, Browns proving he also stinks.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm fairly comfortable with not paying any attention to football again for several years ,but then I'd almost miss yous guys'es..  I have a tough time figuring out how to spell and use the correct punctuation for the impropper word, guys'es.. 
As far as the Bengals go..I'm pre-practiced at ignoring their shit show..
I'm just expecting the Reds to do ok since Cincinnati can never have two teams doing ok at the same time. If one does ok the other has to utterly stink.. It's written into the city charter.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A good starting point for this team would be two fire the DC,obviously.But there have been some bad decisions over time that are finally catching up to them,and hurting the team.You have a first and second round draft picks, that are sitting on the bench. A ninth overall pick that is contributing next to nothing and is mostly injured. A player you re-signed to a one year contract that you know cannot stay healthy and never will,in Eifert.This defense sure fooled me though,I had them picked to be a top ten before the season started.I’m surprised the DC didn’t fix the missed tackling issue during the bye week.That alone would be a huge improvement.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:32 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I cant see evidence that Austin does any aspect of his job well. It has been massive fail in every aspect for him. He has single-handedly made this team not worth sticking around on a Sunday to watch for me. Its really not even fun to watch that kind of football. It literally looks like a practice/scrimmage when we are on D, and that we are just there as props, to give our opponent some live practice against a super soft, phony D. I'd rather just read the articles when we play like that. The actual product on the field is not worth 5 cents to me.

I think the worst part of him is he's not a good teacher. They were soo out of position. I wish you all could have see what I saw at the game.

The thing is, even if he were fired today...it's going to take a long time to fix that. He may have ruined some players.

The Bengals got seduced by his personality and overlooked his flaws.
Reply/Quote
A serious question, if Mike fires Austin, does he have to pay the remaining salary or is it like your average Joe, where you only get paid until the day you worked? This will let me know if Mike will make changes or not.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:10 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: A serious question, if Mike fires Austin, does he have to pay the remaining salary or is it like your average Joe, where you only get paid until the day you worked? This will let me know if Mike will make changes or not.

You pay out the remainder of the contract...unless you can fire them for violating the contract in some way...which they won't be able to.
Reply/Quote
"Doing The Right Thing"

An old boss of mine, in a company meeting, asked the attendees ... "What is the best way to go about doing things? Is is 'doing the right thing'? Or is it 'doing things right'?"

After all of us had voiced our opinion, he said ... "All of you are wrong. Because if you 'do the right thing' in the wrong way, that won't get you very far. If you 'do things right' you won't get very far if you are doing the wrong things." The real answer, he said, was to DO THE RIGHT THINGS RIGHT.

I doubt very seriously if the Bengals' management has ANY CLUE what the right things are, much less how to do those things right.
Reply/Quote
Well it looks like Austin was fired.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reports-cincinnati-bengals-fire-defensive-coordinator/KmSgwLIMuQNPH1dl18CkUO/

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote