Poll: Should The Bengals Pursue Marshall At WR?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do We Go After Brandon Marshall?
(03-08-2017, 11:48 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Marshall to the Giants 2 year/12 million.

Marshall doesn't have to move family and gets to play on potential playoff team for first time in career.  Solid move by Giants and understandable for Marshall who will be pursuing a post NFL career in media.

Notice how other teams identify a guy they want and aggressively go out and get them.

While I don't advocate the Bengals making someone the top paid free agent...it would be nice to see them target a guy Day 1 and go out and get them.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Notice how other teams identify a guy they want and aggressively go out and get them.

While I don't advocate the Bengals making someone the top paid free agent...it would be nice to see them target a guy Day 1 and go out and get them.

Yep, this is why teams like the NYG have Lombardis, and why the Bungals don't even have a frickin ring of honor.

BTW Godfather, I told you you had jokes. LMAO :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:48 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Marshall to the Giants 2 year/12 million.

Marshall doesn't have to move family and gets to play on potential playoff team for first time in career.  Solid move by Giants and understandable for Marshall who will be pursuing a post NFL career in media.

$1.1 million per more than Spotrac predicted. Still a great value. Beckham + Marshall will be the best tandem in the NFL.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: $1.1 million per more than Spotrac predicted. Still a great value. Beckham + Marshall will be the best tandem in the NFL.

If Cruz can get back to some semblance of his former self he'll thrive as well. Going to be interesting to see how the cowboys respond with the constant NFCE arms race. Huge contrast to our sit on our thumbs race.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:13 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: If Cruz can get back to some semblance of his former self he'll thrive as well. Going to be interesting to see how the cowboys respond with the  constant NFCE arms race.  Huge contrast to our sit on our thumbs race.

Cruz isn't with them, but obj, Marshall, Shepard is scary
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:19 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Cruz isn't with them, but obj, Marshall, Shepard is scary

Damn. That's right. Thx
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Notice how other teams identify a guy they want and aggressively go out and get them.

Saw some people mention Marshall's TV deal that also films in NY. However, I wonder if his TV deal gives him $1+ million a year.
The reason I ask is I would have offered him $7-8 mill a year to come to Cincinnati. I would think he would get more from that to compensate for not getting to do the TV thing too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:19 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Cruz isn't with them, but obj, Marshall, Shepard is scary

Then watch NYG add a RB in the draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 02:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I never saw proof that he ran wrong routes. That was just excuses for Palmer INT's. Carson threw up his arms a lot at Chad and TO, but he did the same thing with the Raiders and Cardinals receivers. The dude just has a tendency to throw some head scratchers. I never heard Jeff Garcia, McNabb or even Palmer actually complain about TO's route running. So it's all speculation from people with biased and preconceived notions. No one knows what routes these guys were supposed to run or whether or not they were accurate on said routes.

I just know I've never heard anyone say TO sucked at running routes. You don't get to 15k yards by running sloppy routes or constant freelancing.

He was also just fine as a blocker. No one outside of Bengals fans has ever questioned TO's effort on the field.

TO was a great receiver at the beginning of his career and no one could question his effort. When he ended up in Cincy, no one wanted him at that point because he was in full blown ego mode.  Being paired with Chad did not help his cause at all.  

I never heard proof that he ran the wrong routes either. Marvin is the one who pointed this out numerous times. I was judging by the way Carson was yelling at the receivers when he went to the sideline every time they came off the field and I saw him making motions with his hands. His INT's went from 13 to 20. That usually indicates that something is not right. I remember the Tampa game that year when we were up by 13 with like 4 minutes left and Carson making a throw to T.O. that he gave up on and it got intercepted and he didn't give any effort to try to break it up or tackle the guy.

Lets face it, he was done blocking downfield when he came to us, don't fool yourself.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 01:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Saw some people mention Marshall's TV deal that also films in NY. However, I wonder if his TV deal gives him $1+ million a year.
The reason I ask is I would have offered him $7-8 mill a year to come to Cincinnati. I would think he would get more from that to compensate for not getting to do the TV thing too.

I read somewhere that he didn't want to move.  If he likes New York, and his kids are in school, and he made millions upon millions... It might not have mattered how much anyone else offered.  He probably went to the Giants and said, lets make this happen, so it did... At a great contract for a still dominant reciever.  He could have tested the waters and probably got a 2-3 year deal at 8-10m a year but why... At this point?

Est net worth of $48 million and I found the quote.

The move is not surprising. Marshall lives in New York City and has made no secret of his love for the place. He’s been setting himself up nicely in recent years for post-football work in television, and landing with the Giants will likely allow him to continue to record Inside the NFL on his in-season off day.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Then watch NYG add a RB in the draft.

You know they will. Running the ball was pretty much they're only weakness last year. Pass game is good. Defense improved leaps and bounds via FA pickups.

(03-08-2017, 01:45 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: TO was a great receiver at the beginning of his career and no one could question his effort. When he ended up in Cincy, no one wanted him at that point because he was in full blown ego mode.  Being paired with Chad did not help his cause at all.  

I never heard proof that he ran the wrong routes either. Marvin is the one who pointed this out numerous times. I was judging by the way Carson was yelling at the receivers when he went to the sideline every time they came off the field and I saw him making motions with his hands. His INT's went from 13 to 20. That usually indicates that something is not right. I remember the Tampa game that year when we were up by 13 with like 4 minutes left and Carson making a throw to T.O. that he gave up on and it got intercepted and he didn't give any effort to try to break it up or tackle the guy.

Lets face it, he was done blocking downfield when he came to us, don't fool yourself.

I heard all the negative media hype beforehand and decided I'd judge him for myself with no preconceived notions. Bills fans spoke highly of him despite his lackluster statistical year there. For us, I think he was a good soldier until we were clearly headed for a losing season. The worst things I noticed about him were (a) alligator arming a pass against the Colts (b) walking into the locker room shortly before a game ended and © saying the problems started "from the top, down" on his little talk show.

The alligator arming thing got exaggerated to death after that. I only saw him do it that one time for sure. None of the other stuff really bothered me. It really wasn't that big of a deal. People were just desperate to use the media labeled cancer as the scapegoat for an awful season, despite the complete lack of evidence.

As for Palmer...he threw 20 picks in 2007. 18 in 13 games back in 2004. 16 in half a season with the Raiders. 22 with the Cardinals. All with no TO in sight, but Carson still throwing his arms up like someone other than him was at fault.

Agree to disagree. On the blocking, too. Not saying he was great at it, but he wasn't just jogging half speed and ignoring defenders.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 02:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You know they will. Running the ball was pretty much they're only weakness last year. Pass game is good. Defense improved leaps and bounds via FA pickups.

What is this improving leaps and bounds via FA pickups sorcery that you speak of? Hmm Confused 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: What is this improving leaps and bounds via FA pickups sorcery that you speak of? Hmm Confused 

The sad part is the fans would view this as a great FA if the Bengals could just keep Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick, then have the rest come from the draft.

On most teams, that's not viewed as a great FA. It's viewed as the norm. Their view of a great FA would be retaining their main FAs then adding 1-2 impact outside FAs.

But no, the Bengals are likely going to give the fans Peko, Peerman, TJ Johnson, and MAYBE Whitworth.
Womp womp.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: What is this improving leaps and bounds via FA pickups sorcery that you speak of? Hmm Confused 

To their credit they did get the best FA DE and best FA CB both of whom in their primes 

It's not like they signed James Harrison to cover tight ends, or Sam Adams when he can barely walk.

If the bengals went out and got JPP, and donta Hightower I would hope that transforms the bengals D. I mean you are instantly bringing all pro type players At 20% of your defense.
Reply/Quote

and kudos to the Bengals for saving that money to put toward unknown WR Johnny Snotnose. Johnny has amazing abilities that can hopefully be brought out in future years through "coaching up"!  Ninja
Reply/Quote

(03-08-2017, 02:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The sad part is the fans would view this as a great FA if the Bengals could just keep Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick, then have the rest come from the draft.

On most teams, that's not viewed as a great FA. It's viewed as the norm. Their view of a great FA would be retaining their main FAs then adding 1-2 impact outside FAs.

But no, the Bengals are likely going to give the fans Peko, Peerman, TJ Johnson, and MAYBE Whitworth.
Womp womp.

Sad but true. We're conditioned to be content with less. The bolded would be viewed as an acceptable offseason by many.
Reply/Quote