Poll: Do You Want Zac Taylor to Return for Year 3?
Yes
No
Undecided
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Do You Want Zac Taylor Back for Year 3 (Everybody Vote Please)
If we cannot get Dungy or Cowher my new guy is Jim Caldwell.

He got screwed by the dumb Lions and has a lot of credibility.

He needs to be allowed to hire his own staff.

Tobin needs to go.

A real GM with a track record needs to replace him.

I'm not keeping Taylor simply because Burrow likes him if that is actually true.

Burrow will get on board with a legitimate NFL coach with credibility and a new staff who knows what they are doing and who will love coachng Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Taylor has not improved whatsoever as being a HC
Im.not talking simply wins losses.
His in game decisions..personal groupings
He's a loser for a reason
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 07:03 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Taylor has not improved whatsoever as being a HC
Im.not talking simply wins losses.
His in game decisions..personal groupings
He's a loser for a reason

If the Bengals end the year without another win, he'll have only improved from last year's win total by 0.5 games for this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
"Three years bitches! Read em' and weep!"

[Image: th?id=OIP.oQ1zJfNgqBoyPTH4OE5yOwHaEU&pid...=268&h=157]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 04:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, the only division win is against the Brownies, but he's still only 1-3 overall against them.  Sick

What is wrong wit the 10 people who want him back? Zack needs to go for his record against the browns alone let alone his record against the AFC north as a whole. This dude is straight garbage...
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wow.  I was one of the 10 that said I wanted him back.  I see flashes of a great offensive mind, but the defensive mind just isn't cutting the mustard.  To be fair, the defense had a lot of injuries as well, but as someone pointed out, SF 49ers have more injuries and a better record.  

I guess I want to give him one more year to see how it goes, but I really dislike the offensive line coach and the defensive coordinator.  As I brought up in another thread, I don't know who would be the best candidate for DC, but I think Anarumo just is outfoxed by almost every OC. I know the subject of this is Zac but I wanted to voice my thoughts with those two.

Zac had a brief period where Burrow was being protected and the weapons that worked their way to the front of the depth chart were being very effective together.  That all fell apart against pitt.  That game was a huge disappointment for me.  The offense just did...nothing.  Having to play pitt and baltimore twice and looking like such duds against them is pretty damning evidence that he is overmatched. 

The one thing I would like to see him get is a weapon like JaMarr Chase.  I think the offensive line could be really solid if they added Joe Thuney.  See what that offense can do.  That's all I'm hoping for.  This is an offensive league and you need a team that can put of 30 on anyone to have a chance.  I think he could get the Bengals to that with the weapons I mentioned.

Get Reader back, get Waynes back, sign Alexander and WJIII, draft heavy on the defensive line and the defense might go from awful to average in one season.  I am not a big fan of Anarumo, and have a feeling he will be the fall guy...but that is why I give ZT one more year.  

Ya, give him 1 more year to finish Burrow off and quickly close a window that never really got open. No thanks. How many more players will want out next year if this toxic asshole isn't gone??
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:34 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I voted no. even though I think it might be a little harsh considering the hand that Zac's been dealt. He was a late hire. Sp, 2019 is forgivable. In 2020, did get the front office to sign some free agents to improve the defense and, w/Sua-Filo, the OLine. Then, COVID (but the entire league had to deal to it) and, worse, all of the injuries. Still, if we can sign Eric Bienemy to be the next HC, I say we should do it. His track record in KC speaks for itself.

Didn't Brian Flores coach in the same SB that Zac did, getting the same late start that Zac did? Yet, Flores still managed to win 5 games with a team who's leading rushers were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Walton, and a 26th ranked defense that generated a total of 20 sacks and gave up a ton of points.

You know what Flores also did after his first season? He replaced 3 coaches, one of which was his OC and fellow former Patriot Chad O'Shea. He didn't wait around for a second year to see if they could suck less. That's what separates Flores from Taylor, and why it makes it's difficult for me to give Zac any kind of pass. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 10:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Didn't Brian Flores coach in the same SB that Zac did, getting the same late start that Zac did? Yet, Flores still managed to win 5 games with a team who's leading rushers were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Walton, and a 26th ranked defense that generated a total of 20 sacks and gave up a ton of points.

You know what Flores also did after his first season? He replaced 3 coaches, one of which was his OC and fellow former Patriot Chad O'Shea. He didn't wait around for a second year to see if they could suck less. That's what separates Flores from Taylor, and why it makes it's difficult for me to give Zac any kind of pass. 

Well, I hope this ends the "late start" excuse. 

Excellent post.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 01:35 AM)OUatown Wrote: Drew Sample second round. Traded up for Ryan Finley in the 4th... Doubt he has a job after he gets cut from cincy

This one is on Tobin (MB really). And late start excuse aside, it's bad management. We don't have the scouting to have had been prepared for the draft with the coaching staff in so late. It showed with the Sample (and Finley) pick. 

The coaches weren't signed until late (why didn't Zac give them names to hire while they waited?) and they didn't show they were very prepared to run the kind of search you run after 17 years, with the ideal the leash is long. With Tobin sticking around, what will change? Who else will be willing to come here and have him remain in that position.

With up to 8 HC vacancy's, the competition will be far greater than in 2019. I don't see us in the running for an upgrade. Unless it's Brady, and he's unexperienced, I don't see landing anyone we would want (EB). I know we have Burrow, but I don't see Cinci as a big time landing spot for HC. For Coordinators tho it's proven to be a good stepping stone. That's what year 3 could bring if Zac stays and new assistant coaches are brought in.

I don't trust any of them landing a legit HC and be willing to shake up and restructure the FO. Willing to meet with MB every Monday for film review.... That has to suck.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Say what you want about Marvin, and we all have, even though he was an alleged "Defensive guru", he ran the offensive game plan and "coached" all phases of the team. We blamed him for the conservative offense. Run the ball play defense philosophy. But it was the HC.

It may be too late this year, but if Zac gets a year 3, it's time for him to be the HC. Let go of play calling, and have a gameplan of how the team Offensively, Defensively, and ST are going to go into a game, and set the approach.

We've long known he had too much on his plate, before we give up do we see what he is a HC first (by stripping him of play calling duties). That seems a logical move (and final test) to a 3rd year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wow.  I was one of the 10 that said I wanted him back.  I see flashes of a great offensive mind, but the defensive mind just isn't cutting the mustard.  To be fair, the defense had a lot of injuries as well, but as someone pointed out, SF 49ers have more injuries and a better record.  

I guess I want to give him one more year to see how it goes, but I really dislike the offensive line coach and the defensive coordinator.  As I brought up in another thread, I don't know who would be the best candidate for DC, but I think Anarumo just is outfoxed by almost every OC. I know the subject of this is Zac but I wanted to voice my thoughts with those two.

Zac had a brief period where Burrow was being protected and the weapons that worked their way to the front of the depth chart were being very effective together.  That all fell apart against pitt.  That game was a huge disappointment for me.  The offense just did...nothing.  Having to play pitt and baltimore twice and looking like such duds against them is pretty damning evidence that he is overmatched. 

The one thing I would like to see him get is a weapon like JaMarr Chase.  I think the offensive line could be really solid if they added Joe Thuney.  See what that offense can do.  That's all I'm hoping for.  This is an offensive league and you need a team that can put of 30 on anyone to have a chance.  I think he could get the Bengals to that with the weapons I mentioned.

Get Reader back, get Waynes back, sign Alexander and WJIII, draft heavy on the defensive line and the defense might go from awful to average in one season.  I am not a big fan of Anarumo, and have a feeling he will be the fall guy...but that is why I give ZT one more year.  

FFS! SMH.... whatever dude. Sell that steaming pile elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:29 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: That was on full display Sunday  Ninja

For me, that was the deciding factor for how "good" he can be. Can he take a backup and make them serviceable? If so, you may have something. But since JB went down, he's had around 155 yards of offense in a game and some change. His offensive mind is not that good.

It is pretty disturbing that he didn't even TRY to lean on the running game...That may be a big part of the issue.  Turner is a better run blocking technique guy and Taylor only wants to throw the ball.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 09:56 PM)Tony Wrote: Ya, give him 1 more year to finish Burrow off and quickly close a window that never really got open. No thanks. How many more players will want out next year if this toxic asshole isn't gone??

Where did you see anything about Taylor being a toxic asshold.  Were you agreeing with what I said about Anarumo and Turner or head coach Taylor?  Because I don't think anyone has come out against him.  
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 12:42 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: FFS! SMH.... whatever dude. Sell that steaming pile elsewhere.

So, I was supposed to lie on this "opinion survey"?  Jesus, McNeil, don't hold back at all on your attack.  

Instead of trying to articulate what points you feel you disagree with (I am curious as to why no one else saw the offense do what they did for a brief period with a MASH unit offensive line, no Mixon, and your two best weapons on offense are Boyd and a rookie WR, Higgins?).

I made the argument for another weapon (Chase) and the importance of a speed option that can create instant separation and is given a bigger cushion at the LOS.  Do you think Joe Burrow would rather see a new HC than adding JaMarr Chase?  I will try to find and post a mock I did on another thread to show where I think the team should go next year.  I don't believe firing the HC improves the team.  You do.  That's fine.  We can agree to disagree.  

Here is the mock:

Your Picks: (NOTE:  I traded back since Sewell was gone just two spots and gained a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder.  

Round 1 Pick 5 (WASH): JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU (A)

Before you all kill me for not taking Sewell, he was taken by Miami in a suprise trade with the Jags.  Chase, Higgins, and Boyd give the Bengals an amazing trio and he offers a unique skill set that not only takes the top off opposing defenses but gets open QUICKLY because of the cushion afforded to him by DBs.  He is a better (faster) prospect coming out of college than AJ Green and that worked out very well for the Bengals.  This is a scoring league and you will need to be able to put up 30 against KC, pitt, and Baltimore to move on in the playoffs.  Think of what Tyreek Hill does for the Chiefs.  Chase is the missing weapon for Burrow, and he opens up so much for the slot WR and TE.  

Round 2 Pick 3: Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh (A)

I know, I know...just because he is a DT from pitt doesn't mean he is the next Aaron Donald, but he is a beast of a pass rusher that doesn't get moved in the run game.  Think a young Geno.  

Round 2 Pick 5 (WASH): Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama (A)

I wasn't looking to go back to back DTs, but he was the highest rated player still on the board.  Look at what Washington has done on their defense with those beasts up front.  No really elite pure pass rushing DEs here but Barmore is a freak that can penetrate and take on double teams. 

Round 3 Pick 3: Chris Rumph, DE/OLB, Duke (A)

This is one of those picks that we never get.  The guy that just makes plays all over the field.  The book says he is too small to play DE but he is SO QUICK at the point of attack that no one ever gets set to block him.  A terror of a pure pass rusher than can even line up inside at just 240 lbs.  I LOVE this kid.  Watch his highlights.  In these SIMs, he might be available later, but I know damn well a team like pitt or New England will snap him up early.  Not this time.  He's a Bengal. 

Round 4 Pick 3: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (A)

People will throw up when they read "fastest man in football".  They will assume John Ross 2.0.  They would be wrong, and this is Rd 4.  This guy has blazing speed but also good hands.  He is used on more gadget plays in Gus's lame-ass high school offense, but he could be a real threat coming off the bench.  Jet sweeps, short crossers, etc.  Speed kills and when Joe goes 5 wide, this guy gets a cushion, no matter what. 

Round 4 Pick 5 (WASH): Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State (A+)

Underrated tackle with great foot skills and agility.  Thinking how Lapham always talks about the feet (fetish?).  He is a developmental guy that will need a year in the weight room but could pay huge dividends down the road.  

Round 5 Pick 3: Tyreke Smith, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A+)

There always seems to be a lot of criticism for Ohio State guys that aren't off-the-charts freaks like Chase Young.  Smith is relentless and has an excellent blend of speed and power.  A steal in Rd 5.  

Round 6 Pick 3: Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State (A-)

Thanks to COVID, I find myself watching those late games on the west coast more than ever and they are usually fun because they are all offense.  Not this guy.  Think Jessie Bates but at CB.  Great instincts and a fluid mover.  Could push to start in the long term.  Great team guy to learn behind WJIII, Waynes, and Alexander.

Round 7 Pick 3: James Wiggins, FS/SS, Cincinnati (A+)

No way is he still there, but I love this kid to develop behind Vonn Bell.  Tough as nails and fast as well.  Great prospect.

Round 7 Pick 11: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+)

Ditto Ritter.  Taking him here is cheating because some team will get him much earlier.  

So. with my FA expenditures on my big 3 CBs, the best Guard in the league, and letting go of some expensive vets, I am counting on big things from Reader, Wren, Tupou, and this draft class to solidify the front 7.  It is really hard to evaluate our LBs while the front four are playing with street guys in the middle, but I see our nickel as being Wilson and Pratt.  With more talent up front, I have faith in these two.

Signing Thuney won't be cheap, but he is in his prime and is an immediate, sure-thing, massive upgrade in the middle of the line (RG).  I like Spain as my LG, and Adeniji can push Hart to determine the best choice at RT. 

This would address several key issues:  the lack of quick separation by receivers, the porous middle of the defensive line, the lack of depth at CB, and an All-Pro to help protect Burrow/open up holes for Gio and Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 09:49 PM)Benton Wrote: I'll admit, I'm kinda torn.

I don't like the fact we were on pace to set rookie throwing records, especially after it was clear we weren't going to the playoffs. But honestly, we started a rookie QB who had virtually no preseason, and through the first four games we were 0-3-1... but only one of those games was by more than a touchdown. I mean, it stinks, but the only times we've just gotten drop kicked was Baltimore and Pitt. The last two losses (Washington and New York) would have been wins without the injury. Through the last five games, Baltimore and Pitt are really the only ones I felt like we were going to get tested on.

So, no injury, we finish the season maybe close to .500. That's like a Marvin season (which I hated) but with a rookie QB and worse players/staff.

I said after last season I was willing to give ZT this year to see if we were trending in the right direction. Healthy Burrow and if it players out like I think it would have, then he would've been doing that.

Plus, I'll give him some slack over the defense. We haven't invested a lot on building that side of things and we've got a pretty bad coordinator.

So, I'm still up in the air. I wasn't a fan of everything I saw, but I did see a good draft in his first real draft. I saw players getting better. I saw him willing to take a chance on guys like Higgins (not sure Marvin would have).

I'd love to have a "good" HC. But any guy you take is going to be a gamble. I mean, I don't want to be Belichick and the Browns; on the flipside, I don't want to repeat being Marvin and the Bengals.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.  At least I saw "flashes" of elite performance on offense.  This is an offensive league.  With a couple more weapons and the line solidified, I could see the offense really take off.  I don't think I can imagine anything Anarumo does being considered even "good".  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:21 PM)thillan Wrote: My only worry, and this is probably true for every year, as its obvious that we aren't a perfect spot for anyone.. And I'm all on board for firing Zac, and I do believe that since there are only 32 openings, people will take it anyways. BUT.. this is rough for us to get the best possible candidate. These teams also will or might have openings:

Texans (Watson)
Chargers (ROY)
Jets (#1-2 pick, Lawrence or Fields)
Jags (#1-2 pick, Lawrence or Fields)
Lions (I think we are better than this one)

That puts us at #5 IMO without bringing up any other possible ones (don't see any others off the top of my head). I say #5 because of the history behind the franchise and how others know how its ran, and the fact that Burrow will be coming back from injury and already will be 24 without a full year under him. Worries me for picking the last of the bunch again.

Behind the Jags?  Well, I would also consider the division you would be competing with.  AFC East is suddenly not a cake walk (only took 15 years).  The Bills and Dolphins are solid contenders and I think the pats will be back next year with a new QB and a lot of players returning.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to face the Browns, Ratbirds, and steelers twice a year.  That has to be the toughest draw.  Only the NFC West might be tougher overall because all four teams are solid.  

Overall, I agree with this sentiment.  And it wouldn't just be for HC, but for all the assistants.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 10:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Didn't Brian Flores coach in the same SB that Zac did, getting the same late start that Zac did? Yet, Flores still managed to win 5 games with a team who's leading rushers were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Walton, and a 26th ranked defense that generated a total of 20 sacks and gave up a ton of points.

Not trying to be a douche, but do you think what Flores did in the AFC East with a down New England and a pathetic NY Jets is that impressive?  One of those wins was against the Bengals and it needed OT (I remember screaming at the Bengals to stop winning!).  

I like what you are saying about the changes for year 2, though.  The organization spent the FA dollars to give ZT the team he needed to compete and those dollars were largely wasted due to injury (although I really think Vonn Bell is starting to come on strong, and I also like Mackenzie Alexander, they aren't huge upgrades from what we had before...Reader was, but had no talent around him on the defensive line) and the sudden disappearance in Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins.

I hope the organization doubles down and gives ZT the FA he needs (Joe Thuney, best G in the NFL and in his prime) and also locks down WJIII and Alexander.  Then, nail the draft again (this year's class is doing excellent given COVID and no preseason....lots of guys getting vital experience) and it could be a VERY different outcome.

I think ZT is too soft on a guy like Anarumo, who doesn't mirror ZT's culture of open communication.  I am also not a fan of Turner at all as he seems to be a throw back run-first line coach that MIGHT have been successful in the 70s.  If I had my way, both would be gone and they would bring in Willie Anderson to coach the offensive line, and get a DC that is more like what Zac wants, and has some skins on the wall.  
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 10:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Behind the Jags?  Well, I would also consider the division you would be competing with.  AFC East is suddenly not a cake walk (only took 15 years).  The Bills and Dolphins are solid contenders and I think the pats will be back next year with a new QB and a lot of players returning.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to face the Browns, Ratbirds, and steelers twice a year.  That has to be the toughest draw.  Only the NFC West might be tougher overall because all four teams are solid.  

Overall, I agree with this sentiment.  And it wouldn't just be for HC, but for all the assistants.  

Exactly. Maybe we get lucky and that top person happens to LOVE the challenge.. but if you want less resistance on the way to the SB, why would you go to Cincy where you face one of the better HC's in recent memory (Tomlin), young MVP and a stacked team (Baltimore) AND a Browns organization that has now turned it around and has a great young core on both sides of the ball? Not to mention, Baltimore and Pitt are 2 of the better teams in the NFL at drafting talent consistently. 

That's a rough road to even make the playoffs consistently. Plus I think we often forget just how quick the #1 pick hype flames out. Kyler Murray is talked about because his team is good this year, but all the attention was on Burrow and Herbert. Next year? Lawrence, easily. And again, the only thing I wish was different about Burrow is that he's ALREADY about to be 24. Lawrence just turned 21.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, I was supposed to lie on this "opinion survey"?  Jesus, McNeil, don't hold back at all on your attack.  

Instead of trying to articulate what points you feel you disagree with (I am curious as to why no one else saw the offense do what they did for a brief period with a MASH unit offensive line, no Mixon, and your two best weapons on offense are Boyd and a rookie WR, Higgins?).

I made the argument for another weapon (Chase) and the importance of a speed option that can create instant separation and is given a bigger cushion at the LOS.  Do you think Joe Burrow would rather see a new HC than adding JaMarr Chase?  I will try to find and post a mock I did on another thread to show where I think the team should go next year.  I don't believe firing the HC improves the team.  You do.  That's fine.  We can agree to disagree.  

Here is the mock:

Your Picks: (NOTE:  I traded back since Sewell was gone just two spots and gained a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder.  

Round 1 Pick 5 (WASH): JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU (A)

Before you all kill me for not taking Sewell, he was taken by Miami in a suprise trade with the Jags.  Chase, Higgins, and Boyd give the Bengals an amazing trio and he offers a unique skill set that not only takes the top off opposing defenses but gets open QUICKLY because of the cushion afforded to him by DBs.  He is a better (faster) prospect coming out of college than AJ Green and that worked out very well for the Bengals.  This is a scoring league and you will need to be able to put up 30 against KC, pitt, and Baltimore to move on in the playoffs.  Think of what Tyreek Hill does for the Chiefs.  Chase is the missing weapon for Burrow, and he opens up so much for the slot WR and TE.  

Round 2 Pick 3: Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh (A)

I know, I know...just because he is a DT from pitt doesn't mean he is the next Aaron Donald, but he is a beast of a pass rusher that doesn't get moved in the run game.  Think a young Geno.  

Round 2 Pick 5 (WASH): Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama (A)

I wasn't looking to go back to back DTs, but he was the highest rated player still on the board.  Look at what Washington has done on their defense with those beasts up front.  No really elite pure pass rushing DEs here but Barmore is a freak that can penetrate and take on double teams. 

Round 3 Pick 3: Chris Rumph, DE/OLB, Duke (A)

This is one of those picks that we never get.  The guy that just makes plays all over the field.  The book says he is too small to play DE but he is SO QUICK at the point of attack that no one ever gets set to block him.  A terror of a pure pass rusher than can even line up inside at just 240 lbs.  I LOVE this kid.  Watch his highlights.  In these SIMs, he might be available later, but I know damn well a team like pitt or New England will snap him up early.  Not this time.  He's a Bengal. 

Round 4 Pick 3: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (A)

People will throw up when they read "fastest man in football".  They will assume John Ross 2.0.  They would be wrong, and this is Rd 4.  This guy has blazing speed but also good hands.  He is used on more gadget plays in Gus's lame-ass high school offense, but he could be a real threat coming off the bench.  Jet sweeps, short crossers, etc.  Speed kills and when Joe goes 5 wide, this guy gets a cushion, no matter what. 

Round 4 Pick 5 (WASH): Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State (A+)

Underrated tackle with great foot skills and agility.  Thinking how Lapham always talks about the feet (fetish?).  He is a developmental guy that will need a year in the weight room but could pay huge dividends down the road.  

Round 5 Pick 3: Tyreke Smith, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A+)

There always seems to be a lot of criticism for Ohio State guys that aren't off-the-charts freaks like Chase Young.  Smith is relentless and has an excellent blend of speed and power.  A steal in Rd 5.  

Round 6 Pick 3: Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State (A-)

Thanks to COVID, I find myself watching those late games on the west coast more than ever and they are usually fun because they are all offense.  Not this guy.  Think Jessie Bates but at CB.  Great instincts and a fluid mover.  Could push to start in the long term.  Great team guy to learn behind WJIII, Waynes, and Alexander.

Round 7 Pick 3: James Wiggins, FS/SS, Cincinnati (A+)

No way is he still there, but I love this kid to develop behind Vonn Bell.  Tough as nails and fast as well.  Great prospect.

Round 7 Pick 11: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+)

Ditto Ritter.  Taking him here is cheating because some team will get him much earlier.  

So. with my FA expenditures on my big 3 CBs, the best Guard in the league, and letting go of some expensive vets, I am counting on big things from Reader, Wren, Tupou, and this draft class to solidify the front 7.  It is really hard to evaluate our LBs while the front four are playing with street guys in the middle, but I see our nickel as being Wilson and Pratt.  With more talent up front, I have faith in these two.

Signing Thuney won't be cheap, but he is in his prime and is an immediate, sure-thing, massive upgrade in the middle of the line (RG).  I like Spain as my LG, and Adeniji can push Hart to determine the best choice at RT. 

This would address several key issues:  the lack of quick separation by receivers, the porous middle of the defensive line, the lack of depth at CB, and an All-Pro to help protect Burrow/open up holes for Gio and Mixon.

Apologies if you were offended. It wasn't so much your opinion as it is my growing disdain for this HC and his regime.

When I see Bengal greats mailing it in or burning down PBS to get out, it doesn't take very long to discern where the problem resides.

So, wasn't personal towards you. More personal towards this atrocious coaching staff. Their record speaks for itself and it isn't likely to get any better.
Reply/Quote
As far as teams they may or may not to be more desirable destinations, I think that's completely up to the Bengals. They can easily choose to be one of those teams that may land higher on the pecking order this offseason, when potential coaches are weighing their options.

Remember, this isn't college. Coaches are concerned about recruting pipelines, or conference affiliation, or even tradition. There are no alma maters.

Coaches care mainly about these few things (in no particular order):

---Compensation
---Ability to win
---Freedom to run things how they want

That's really it. It's not rocket science. So what do we have to offer?

Well, go ahead and look at our roster. Then go ahead and look at teams like the Jets, or the Jags, or the Texas, etc. Look at the situation they're walking into.

A coach coming here would be walking into a sitatuon where he's staring at the #3 overall pick, and a fully healthy draft class, near the top of each and every round. The Texans? The don't have a pick until round 3. Advantage us there.

Let's look at the QB's. You come here, and you inherit Joe Burrow at an average of 9 mil per for 3 more years. The Texans, you inherit Watson at 40 mil per over the same 3 years. The Lions, you inherit Matt Stafford at 31 mil per for 2 years. The Jags and the Jets? Sure, you can draft an unproven rookie that has oodles of potential, but there goes your 1st pick. Here you get an already somewhat proven QB AND you get the #3 pick.

Let's talk a little money. Cincinnati had incredibly low housing prices. We also have relatively low income tax. In general, the cost of living here is low. A few million dollars a year goes a lot further here than it does if you take over the Jets. You keep way more of your money through tax savings and can buy twice the house for at least 1/2 the money.

So what's really stopping us from attracting any of the talent anyone else does? The answer is ourselves.

It's really simple, guys. Give a coach a competitive offer, maybe even sweeten the pot a little to make sure you get your guy, your first choice. Don't settle on option 2, 3, 4. And give him the control most other places offer.

That's it. That's all it is. Just get out of your own way, and pay a legitimate price, and we can compete with anyone as far as being a desirable destination.

This team has building blocks, there's a core there that can be built upon. We have cap space, and we're not looking at being hindered in the future by bad deals right now. This team is ripe for a turnaround, and for a coach to come in here and stamp his name on being the one who brought success to Cincinnati. In fact, I'd argue we're set up perfectly for the right coach to come in here and make a name for himself, and quickly.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I just hate hearing why people wouldn't want to come here. They would, if the Browns just started to play ball like everyone else. There's nothing stopping this franchise from going out and getting whoever they want out of this coaching class. Remember that.
Reply/Quote