Poll: Do You Want Zac Taylor to Return for Year 3?
Yes
No
Undecided
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Do You Want Zac Taylor Back for Year 3 (Everybody Vote Please)
(12-03-2020, 02:17 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sorry for the long-winded post, I just hate hearing why people wouldn't want to come here.  They would, if the Browns just started to play ball like everyone else.  There's nothing stopping this franchise from going out and getting whoever they want out of this coaching class.  Remember that.

This is the entire problem. Mike Brown refuses to quit playing GM. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 10:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Didn't Brian Flores coach in the same SB that Zac did, getting the same late start that Zac did? Yet, Flores still managed to win 5 games with a team who's leading rushers were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Walton, and a 26th ranked defense that generated a total of 20 sacks and gave up a ton of points.

You know what Flores also did after his first season? He replaced 3 coaches, one of which was his OC and fellow former Patriot Chad O'Shea. He didn't wait around for a second year to see if they could suck less. That's what separates Flores from Taylor, and why it makes it's difficult for me to give Zac any kind of pass. 

Good points. I don't really have a rebuttal. As I said, I think we need a better coaching staff (Keep Simmons and Eason). 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 03:11 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Good points. I don't really have a rebuttal. As I said, I think we need a better coaching staff (Keep Simmons and Eason). 

Why keep Eason? Our DL is terrible.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 02:17 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: As far as teams they may or may not to be more desirable destinations, I think that's completely up to the Bengals.  They can easily choose to be one of those teams that may land higher on the pecking order this offseason, when potential coaches are weighing their options.  

Remember, this isn't college.  Coaches are concerned about recruting pipelines, or conference affiliation, or even tradition.  There are no alma maters.

Coaches care mainly about these few things (in no particular order):

---Compensation
---Ability to win
---Freedom to run things how they want

That's really it.  It's not rocket science.  So what do we have to offer?

Well, go ahead and look at our roster.  Then go ahead and look at teams like the Jets, or the Jags, or the Texas, etc.  Look at the situation they're walking into.

A coach coming here would be walking into a sitatuon where he's staring at the #3 overall pick, and a fully healthy draft class, near the top of each and every round.  The Texans?  The don't have a pick until round 3.  Advantage us there.

Let's look at the QB's.  You come here, and you inherit Joe Burrow at an average of 9 mil per for 3 more years.  The Texans, you inherit Watson at 40 mil per over the same 3 years.  The Lions, you inherit Matt Stafford at 31 mil per for 2 years.  The Jags and the Jets?  Sure, you can draft an unproven rookie that has oodles of potential, but there goes your 1st pick.  Here you get an already somewhat proven QB AND you get the #3 pick.

Let's talk a little money.  Cincinnati had incredibly low housing prices.  We also have relatively low income tax.  In general, the cost of living here is low.  A few million dollars a year goes a lot further here than it does if you take over the Jets.  You keep way more of your money through tax savings and can buy twice the house for at least 1/2 the money.

So what's really stopping us from attracting any of the talent anyone else does?  The answer is ourselves.

It's really simple, guys.  Give a coach a competitive offer, maybe even sweeten the pot a little to make sure you get your guy, your first choice.  Don't settle on option 2, 3, 4.  And give him the control most other places offer.

That's it.  That's all it is.  Just get out of your own way, and pay a legitimate price, and we can compete with anyone as far as being a desirable destination.

This team has building blocks, there's a core there that can be built upon.  We have cap space, and we're not looking at being hindered in the future by bad deals right now.  This team is ripe for a turnaround, and for a coach to come in here and stamp his name on being the one who brought success to Cincinnati.  In fact, I'd argue we're set up perfectly for the right coach to come in here and make a name for himself, and quickly.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I just hate hearing why people wouldn't want to come here.  They would, if the Browns just started to play ball like everyone else.  There's nothing stopping this franchise from going out and getting whoever they want out of this coaching class.  Remember that.

Well stated! Los showed his arse to disconnect from this albatross. Since departure he has 4 sacks in 4 games. One of them to seel a win for Seattle. 

Tell me again where the problem with this team lies? 
Reply/Quote
Zac should go. His loyalty to this coaching staff is the stake in the heart of any legitimacy he might have earned. He's shown zero ability to make hard decisions when in comes to these assistants who's hires were questionable at best from the very beginning.

I think it was Big Willie who was quoted saying something about the process of hiring assistants in the NFL just being a matter of HCs and coordinators hiring their old buddies. It's not based on performance or track records, or at least not to the extent you might think. This seems to be the case in Cincinnati now, and the franchise has somehow gotten even more putrid as a result.

Marvin's time was up, but he fired Leslie Frazier after 1 ineffective year. He dumped Austin midseason. Zac has failed by not doing this with walking HR harassment video Turner or Louie Slapnuts. Get these jokes out of here and hire real coaches.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 01:00 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Apologies if you were offended. It wasn't so much your opinion as it is my growing disdain for this HC and his regime.

When I see Bengal greats mailing it in or burning down PBS to get out, it doesn't take very long to discern where the problem resides.

So, wasn't personal towards you. More personal towards this atrocious coaching staff. Their record speaks for itself and it isn't likely to get any better.

I completely get the frustration.  My frustration is even greater at the likes of Dunlap that put on such a clown show this year instead of just putting his head down and working.  Not only were his off the field actions very unprofessional, but he made a lot of "business decisions" and played with minimal effort.  Not a great way to leave a final impression.

I get that he was frustrated, but that was no way to handle it.  

The record does speak for itself, but I can't help but think that some of the biggest assets the coaching staff THOUGHT they had coming in to the  season (Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Mixon, Reader, Waynes) have had little to no impact this year either due to injury or declining play.

What actually encourages me (and I try to focus on) is the play out of young guys like Higgins, Wilson, ADG, and Adeniji as well as Jessie Bates turning in to an All-Pro.  If they can have another draft that they nail like last year's and they get a bunch of guys back from injury and possibly the COVID list, then maybe they can be competitive.  

I know that with Burrow in there, I felt like they had a shot to win every game...except for the pitt and baltimore games (groan).  And that was win no Mixon, a make-shift line, and two real weapons in the passing game (Higgins and Boyd) that those two defenses have enough talent to shut down.  We need that true #1 WR to be the missing piece to open things up against them.  I am really hoping it works out that they get Thuney as a FA and Chase with the first pick in their draft.   
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 05:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wow.  I was one of the 10 that said I wanted him back.  I see flashes of a great offensive mind, but the defensive mind just isn't cutting the mustard.  To be fair, the defense had a lot of injuries as well, but as someone pointed out, SF 49ers have more injuries and a better record.  

I guess I want to give him one more year to see how it goes, but I really dislike the offensive line coach and the defensive coordinator.  As I brought up in another thread, I don't know who would be the best candidate for DC, but I think Anarumo just is outfoxed by almost every OC. I know the subject of this is Zac but I wanted to voice my thoughts with those two.

Zac had a brief period where Burrow was being protected and the weapons that worked their way to the front of the depth chart were being very effective together.  That all fell apart against pitt.  That game was a huge disappointment for me.  The offense just did...nothing.  Having to play pitt and baltimore twice and looking like such duds against them is pretty damning evidence that he is overmatched. 

The one thing I would like to see him get is a weapon like JaMarr Chase.  I think the offensive line could be really solid if they added Joe Thuney.  See what that offense can do.  That's all I'm hoping for.  This is an offensive league and you need a team that can put of 30 on anyone to have a chance.  I think he could get the Bengals to that with the weapons I mentioned.

Get Reader back, get Waynes back, sign Alexander and WJIII, draft heavy on the defensive line and the defense might go from awful to average in one season.  I am not a big fan of Anarumo, and have a feeling he will be the fall guy...but that is why I give ZT one more year.  

What....the....shit?

Taylor had one jaw dropping moment from during his time with the Bengals: The 4th down play when Gio motioned out to get open against the Browns.

What other moments did you see flashes of an offensive genius?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Where did you see anything about Taylor being a toxic asshold.  Were you agreeing with what I said about Anarumo and Turner or head coach Taylor?  Because I don't think anyone has come out against him.  

Turner and Armaouro are Taylor's staff though.

Even if they were the only sources of alleged toxicity (I doubt this), this is the system Taylor is responsible for. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 09:49 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: What....the....shit?

Taylor had one jaw dropping moment from during his time with the Bengals: The 4th down play when Gio motioned out to get open against the Browns.

What other moments did you see flashes of an offensive genius?

Uh, a rookie QB with two real offensive weapons and a make-shift offensive line on pace to break the NFL rookie passing record? 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 09:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Uh, a rookie QB with two real offensive weapons and a make-shift offensive line on pace to break the NFL rookie passing record? 

And you put that on the head coach rather than the quarterbacks talent...why?

I mean, look at what Blandy Dalton did with the same genius. Not that good. If Taylor were good, the offense would've been better despite having an average at best QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 09:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Turner and Armaouro are Taylor's staff though.

Even if they were the only sources of alleged toxicity (I doubt this), this is the system Taylor is responsible for. 

Doesn't matter, he specifically called Taylor a toxic asshole, and provided no evidence from Elise's article that anyone referred to him in this way.  And it is his staff and he is responsible for it, but what would you have him do?  Fire the DC in mid-season because some players (who wouldn't put their names on it) spoke out against the way he curses at them?  No, he had a conversation with Lou and it appears to have worked based on a recent tweet by Jessie Bates.  

I have already said I am in favor of canning Anarumo.  I don't see much from him to convince me otherwise, but Taylor is not a toxic asshole.  
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 09:56 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: And you put that on the head coach rather than the quarterbacks talent...why?

I mean, look at what Blandy Dalton did with the same genius. Not that good. If Taylor were good, the offense would've been better despite having an average at best QB.

They lost their #1 WR.  They had no Tee Higgins.  Joe Mixon led the AFC in rushing yards the last half of the season.  They made adjustments and the offense was getting it together, but the defense was historically bad.  
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Doesn't matter, he specifically called Taylor a toxic asshole, and provided no evidence from Elise's article that anyone referred to him in this way.  And it is his staff and he is responsible for it, but what would you have him do?  Fire the DC in mid-season because some players (who wouldn't put their names on it) spoke out against the way he curses at them?  No, he had a conversation with Lou and it appears to have worked based on a recent tweet by Jessie Bates.  

I have already said I am in favor of canning Anarumo.  I don't see much from him to convince me otherwise, but Taylor is not a toxic asshole.  

As I mentioned elsewhere, Zac called a meeting with Bates and Boyd when they landed after the Washington game. It seems the players got what they wanted. That's one encouraging sign from Zac. He listened to his young leaders.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Anyone want to change their vote after today’s debacle?

Reply/Quote
Bump

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 09:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone want to change their vote after today’s debacle?

How sad is it that I could use this same post from a month ago...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How sad is it that I could use this same post from a month ago...

How sadder (is that a word ?) is it that you'll be able to bump this thread again in September ?
Reply/Quote
After today? I'm not sure. I'm very disappointed in the showing today. Little Gio and Boyd. He was trying to lose this game and I can't take quitting. Plus, when your throwing to Erickson, you want a turnover because that kid handles footballz like hot potatoz. Any momentum going into next season was lost on this very embarrassing performance today.

Kind of leaning clean house right now.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: How sadder (is that a word ?) is it that you'll be able to bump this thread again in September ?

[Image: tenor.gif]

Reply/Quote
I voted no, but I meant to vote for Pat Buchanan.
Reply/Quote