Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we have our backup QB?
Disregard if this has been discussed already. Allen looks like a pretty decent backup. I realize that the Cowboys defense isn't good but Allen has looked good in his games. He's not JB but he's also not Ryan Finley (thank God). I'm thinking that we shouldn't have to invest in a backup in the off season as Allen looks competent enough to backup JB. What say you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I say we let Zac and Tobin spend more draft capital and trade picks to move up and take another bum QB in the middle rounds.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I say we let Zac and Tobin spend more draft capital and trade picks to move up and take another bum QB in the middle rounds.

You're being facetious right? Please tell me you're being facetious? LOL
Reply/Quote
The real question is wtf was Ryan Finley doing as QB2 coming into the season? ZT should fired for that alone.

Idk if Allen is the answer, but he’s a million x better than that other scrub. He showed a lot of heart today when he was basically playing on one leg. Had a couple nice throws, too.

Reply/Quote
I think our expectations for backup have been set so low that someone like Allen gets elevated much higher than he should.

He's started three games in which we've averaged 7 points on offense. (Giants game with 17 featured a kickoff return and a turnover that lead to field goal)

Is he better than Finley? Without a doubt. Is he at least somewhat repectable? Yeah, I've seen worse. But this guy would still be a well below average backup. There's a reason he was on the street, and went unclaimed on our practice squad for weeks.

He's not the type of QB I'd feel comfortable starting if Burrow was unvailable for a stretch of games. Can you imagine if we were somehow in the middle of a great year, we had run out Brandon Allen for a game or two in a must-win?

With Burrow being so heavily discounted because he's on a rookie deal, there's simply no excuse for not going on and spending a little extra on a decent backup. Especially with Burrow's return time currently in question.

Bringing this dude back would just be typical Bengals laziness. "Meh, this guy's not the worst QB in the league, and he's already here. Let's just keep him around."
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think our expectations for backup have been set so low that someone like Allen gets elevated much higher than he should.

He's started three games in which we've averaged 7 points on offense. (Giants game with 17 featured a kickoff return and a turnover that lead to field goal)

Is he better than Finley?  Without a doubt.  Is he at least somewhat repectable?  Yeah, I've seen worse.  But this guy would still be a well below average backup.  There's a reason he was on the street, and went unclaimed on our practice squad for weeks.

He's not the type of QB I'd feel comfortable starting if Burrow was unvailable for a stretch of games.  Can you imagine if we were somehow in the middle of a great year, we had run out Brandon Allen for a game or two in a must-win?

With Burrow being so heavily discounted because he's on a rookie deal, there's simply no excuse for not going on and spending a little extra on a decent backup.  Especially with Burrow's return time currently in question.

Bringing this dude back would just be typical Bengals laziness. "Meh, this guy's not the worst QB in the league, and he's already here.  Let's just keep him around."
Yes we only scored 7 points today but I've got two words for you, three fumbles. We gave up several points with those. May have even won the game. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I still say go get Winston. ZT loves to chuck it all game anyway. He’ll turn it over a ton, but he’ll also put up huge yds and TD’s.

But what would we have to give up to get him? Is he a FA after this season or would we have to make a trade and give up a draft pick?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:44 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Yes we only scored 7 points today but I've got two words for you, three fumbles. We gave up several points with those. May have even won the game. 

Dallas has a defense that allowed 33 points per game this year.

Allen has led us to 7 points in each of the past 3 games.

Man it's hard to say. Burrow put up yards and not points too.

I think coaches know how to defend this offense. Make them do 15 play drives to score and chances are you'll get a sack or fumble 1st. We do a lot of 3 yard throws so completion percentage will be high.
Reply/Quote
According to sportrac, there's several vets who will be free agents. Not even gonna mention them as I don't want to derail the thread into "what!? You'd sign *******! He's garbage!"

But there's vets and a couple guys who had some flashes on bad teams. I'd grab one of them and keep allen as a third.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dallas has a defense that allowed 33 points per game this year.

Allen has led us to 7 points in each of the past 3 games.

Man it's hard to say. Burrow put up yards and not points too.

I think coaches know how to defend this offense. Make them do 15 play drives to score and chances are you'll get a sack or fumble 1st. We do a lot of 3 yard throws so completion percentage will be high.

I think the lack of points is a combination of playcalling, and lack of someone who can take it to the house any given play. Its hard to say if Allen is a decent backup because I think everyone has looked worse than their ability here under Zach "I dont know what I'm doing" Taylor 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:44 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Yes we only scored 7 points today but I've got two words for you, three fumbles. We gave up several points with those. May have even won the game. 

We lost 30-7...

Theres no what ifs. Dallas soundly beat us. We fumbled 3 times. We found a way to lose to a terrible team.

I mean, Allen could be our backup if the expectation is to lose every game we play our backup in.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:44 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Yes we only scored 7 points today but I've got two words for you, three fumbles.

Had zero fumbles in the 2nd half, also had zero points.

This against the league worst defense, protecting a two+ score lead.  Not very encouraging.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:46 PM)BengalRed Wrote: But what would we have to give up to get him? Is he a FA after this season or would we have to make a trade and give up a draft pick?

He made peanuts in New Orleans this season (1.1m), so probably not much. And yes he’s a FA next year.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:51 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think the lack of points is a combination of playcalling, and lack of someone who can take it to the house any given play. Its hard to say if Allen is a decent backup because I think everyone has looked worse than their ability here under Zach "I dont know what I'm doing" Taylor 

Yep. We're saying similar things. Burrow put up less points than he should have and so did Dalton last year.

Its definately Zac.

Allen actually looked ok today. But it's hard to judge what that means.
Reply/Quote
No Brandon Allen is not the answer. Need a decent vet backup. There will be plenty available in free agency for a few mil
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Had zero fumbles in the 2nd half, also had zero points.

This against the league worst defense, protecting a two+ score lead.  Not very encouraging.

And backup RBs and a weak OL. Not to mention Allen at some point had to play on a bad ankle/leg. I'm only offering talking points. If Allen isn't the answer I'm okay with that. Hopefully we won't have to use a backup much. Of course if ZT is still the HC and we don't upgrade the OL it's all moot.
Reply/Quote
No. Allen can't complete anything beyond 10 yards that isn't right across the middle to someone wide open. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 08:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No. Allen can't complete anything beyond 10 yards that isn't right across the middle to someone wide open. 

The one on 4th and 7 that he chucked 8 yards out the back of the endzone was telling.
Reply/Quote
We have a fan-favorite backup QB in Finley since as soon as the starter goes down people are all about tanking for a higher draft pick, so there is that.
Reply/Quote
I think yall are underestimating how smart Finley is. His intelligence really shines when he is given a chance to play.
Reply/Quote