Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we live in a Rape Culture?
(05-10-2016, 11:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh, just a rash generalization.

Good form.

Nothing rash about it.

It's not like I haven't seen the majority of your posts in this thread and was able to point out the trend.

Not tall.
I'm always perplexed about how can folks be for equal rights and against equal responsibility
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-11-2016, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm always perplexed about how can folks be for equal rights and against equal responsibility

I was catching up on the last few pages and was going post the exact same thing....  It seems no one is responsible for their ow behavior and where it may lead these days.   

... Make a mistake and sleep with someone you regret while drinking = claim rape 

.... Got pregnant living a promiscuous life = get an abortion 

.... Can't use the opposite sex restroom while you are playing dress up = transphobic 

.... Kids gets picked on at school = fine the bully's parents so I don't have to teach my kid how to handle a problem In life.  

Lack of personal responsibility amazes me.   
(05-11-2016, 01:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I was catching up on the last few pages and was going post the exact same thing....  It seems no one is responsible for their ow behavior and where it may lead these days.   

... Make a mistake and sleep with someone you regret while drinking = claim rape 

.... Got pregnant living a promiscuous life = get an abortion 

.... Can't use the opposite sex restroom while you are playing dress up = transphobic 

.... Kids gets picked on at school = fine the bully's parents so I don't have to teach my kid how to handle a problem In life.  

Lack of personal responsibility amazes me.   

After 15 pages you are still passing judgement like you did on page 1.

Ignoring the other crazy parts of this post  and sticking with the theme of rape: what you suggested is perhaps as rare as a could be...but you can always keep it in your head as an "excuse"...because it happened once.

Meanwhile page after page of men creating scenarios to "excuse" rape and we told a few men aren't an example of "rape culture".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-10-2016, 11:21 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I addressed the passive part directly.

Amazon is actively doing something. They're taking your payment and sending you the goods and services you bought.

Your original beef was that they couldn't have any knowledge of me being drunk.

But since we're accusing people of blatantly ignoring things, rape is a charge against someone against their will. 

Actually, my "original beef" was the passive part. There is no active sell on the part of Amazon in the transaction, they are passive. I added the knowledge part after the passive as an afterthought. And no, you did not address the passive part. If you had, it would have been in the post I quoted. But keep on keepin' on.

I also addressed the "what rape is" thing already, in post 257. Which you did respond to.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-11-2016, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: After 15 pages you are still passing judgement like you did on page 1.

Ignoring the other crazy parts of this post  and sticking with the theme of rape: what you suggested is perhaps as rare as a could be...but you can always keep it in your head as an "excuse"...because it happened once.

Meanwhile page after page of men creating scenarios to "excuse" rape and we told a few men aren't an example of "rape culture".

What's rare?   Random sex then regretting it in the morning when you see who you ended up with?   That happens all the time .  Especially at university....   Good thing we are teaching our young people they can live a destructive lifestyle and not have to face any consequences or feel bad about their own choice 
(05-11-2016, 01:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What's rare?   Random sex then regretting it in the morning when you see who you ended up with?   That happens all the time .  Especially at university....   Good thing we are teaching our young people they can live a destructive lifestyle and not have to face any consequences or feel bad about their own choice 

Right, because no time is spent discussing with students in higher education the damage they can do to their bodies, their reputation, their job prospects, their life in general, when it comes to the excessive drinking, drugs, and partying. Universities just let them do their own thing and don't preemptively try to guide them to make the correct decisions. They don't have classes and programs designed to try to further help those that have shown a proclivity for the destructive behaviors. They don't do anything to punish these sorts of behaviors when they negatively impact others in the community and even just themselves.

Nah, none of that happens. We just let them not face any consequences and tell them we're fine with how they act.

There is no emoticon on the list that accurately represents the level of sarcasm and eye rolling that is occurring here. The idea that drunken consent is not consent is focusing on someone taking advantage of the situation of someone being intoxicated and sleeping with them in that state. It's about punishing someone for taking advantage of someone that is in a vulnerable state. But hey, we wouldn't want the person taking advantage of the situation to feel bad about their choice, now would we?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-11-2016, 01:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What's rare?   Random sex then regretting it in the morning when you see who you ended up with?   That happens all the time .  Especially at university....   Good thing we are teaching our young people they can live a destructive lifestyle and not have to face any consequences or feel bad about their own choice 

What's rare is the "claiming rape" claim to made when they regret their hook up the next day.

Doesn't anyone read anymore?  Do they just respond to the one thing the disagree with?

Anyway....your generalization of "young people" is merely an attempt to defend you "proper" way of raising children.

Also, where are you from?  No one says "at university".
(05-11-2016, 02:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Right, because no time is spent discussing with students in higher education the damage they can do to their bodies, their reputation, their job prospects, their life in general, when it comes to the excessive drinking, drugs, and partying. Universities just let them do their own thing and don't preemptively try to guide them to make the correct decisions. They don't have classes and programs designed to try to further help those that have shown a proclivity for the destructive behaviors. They don't do anything to punish these sorts of behaviors when they negatively impact others in the community and even just themselves.

Nah, none of that happens.  We just let them not face any consequences and tell them we're fine with how they act.

There is no emoticon on the list that accurately represents the level of sarcasm and eye rolling that is occurring here. The idea that drunken consent is not consent is focusing on someone taking advantage of the situation of someone being intoxicated and sleeping with them in that state. It's about punishing someone for taking advantage of someone that is in a vulnerable state. But hey, we wouldn't want the person taking advantage of the situation to feel bad about their choice, now would we?

Nothing Shame 101 won't clear up.  
(05-11-2016, 02:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: What's rare is the "claiming rape" claim to made when they regret their hook up the next day.

Doesn't anyone read anymore?  Do they just respond to the one thing the disagree with?

Anyway....your generalization of "young people" is merely an attempt to defend you "proper" way of raising children.

its all contrived.  you know this.
(05-11-2016, 02:18 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Nothing Shame 101 won't clear up.  

I just find it funny that we're all about not holding the students accountable. The department on campus that handles violations of policy? Student Accountability. The boards I sit on to determine whether or not a student is responsible for a violation of policy? Accountability Boards. But no, universities don't want to hold students accountable for their actions.

(05-11-2016, 02:21 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: its all contrived.  you know this.

Well sometimes I convince myself that there really are people in the world that act/talk/believe like Lucy.

But it's like a ripple in the matrix sometimes....
(05-11-2016, 02:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well sometimes I convince myself that there really are people in the world that act/talk/believe like Lucy.

Guilty of the same unfortunately.  Some people get a kick out of peacocking around waving about grandiose ideologies to make their tail feathers more attractive to internet mates.  There is clearly more at play with these individuals.
(05-11-2016, 02:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well sometimes I convince myself that there really are people in the world that act/talk/believe like Lucy.

Loads of people like me.....  We are known as reasonable people 
(05-11-2016, 02:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: What's rare is the "claiming rape" claim to made when they regret their hook up the next day.

we say at university in my home.   Something that I have picked up on from my wife.   To her university is different than college.   
(05-11-2016, 03:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: we say at university in my home.   Something that I have picked up on from my wife.   To her university is different than college.   

Yeah, depending on the country someone grew up in you will get different views on what higher education is called and when. In the U.S., for most people, the terms are synonymous.

(05-11-2016, 03:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: we say at university in my home.   Something that I have picked up on from my wife.   To her university is different than college.   

Fair enough.  I still say "soda" rather than "pop" because of an ex-gf who was from the Mass. region.

I'll allow it.

Smirk
(05-11-2016, 03:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Fair enough.  I still say "soda" rather than "pop" because of an ex-gf who was from the Mass. region.

I'll allow it.

Smirk

I also say soda have no idea why.   Parents were pop people.  
(05-11-2016, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: After 15 pages you are still passing judgement like you did on page 1.

There would have to be rape for it to be excused. Time after time it has been shown that you can still give consent to sex when you're drunk. You're opinion is different from actual criminal law. Otherwise there would be more than 0 cases convicting someone of rape when they had consent to have sex. It's almost like someone who believes in there being a flat earth, but can't prove that it's flat and yet when provided evidence that it's round keeps saying "it's flat, because my opinion of it is that it's flat.".
(05-11-2016, 01:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I was catching up on the last few pages and was going post the exact same thing....  It seems no one is responsible for their ow behavior and where it may lead these days.   

It is absolutely one of the most hypocritical things I've seen. I guess being responsible for your own actions is not a right; as we do not treat each sex equally. 

...and those still stating we live in a rape culture have actually never seen one. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]