Available...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS162DmGH-cjaU9bRrFJN7...w&usqp=CAU]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Why is he available?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Do bears sh*t in the woods?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
If the offense is going to stink more often than not, yes.

I don't think JT thought we'd be punting from our own 10 yard line as much as we have. Rather he thought we'd at least move the ball some before punting so I see why they went with the kid in the draft, great hang time.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why is he available?

He's available because he was cleared of any possible involvement in the charges that were levied against him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-matt-araiza-punter-rape-charges-dropped-details-free-agent-news

Quote:Last December, former Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza had his name cleared in a rape case by prosecutors in San Diego. Now, details are emerging as to why Araiza didn't face criminal charges.

Originally accused of being part of a gang rape of an allegedly intoxicated 17-year-old girl in October 2021, a meeting between Araiza's attorneys, the accuser and a district attorney in San Diego led to the charges being dropped. Documents of that meeting reveal that Araiza could not have led the girl into the reported gang rape because he had left the house party an hour prior to when the attack reportedly occurred.

"He wasn’t even at the party anymore,” deputy district attorney Trisha Amador explained to the girl and her attorneys. "All I know is that at that point, suspect Araiza is gone from the party.”

During the meeting, prosecutors also said they couldn't determine if the alleged rape was instead merely consensual sex between the accuser and multiple men.

“In looking at the videos on the sex tape, I absolutely cannot prove any forceable sexual assault based upon what happened,” Amador said.

Araiza, from San Diego State, was selected in the sixth round by the Bills in the 2022 draft. He won the punting job in training camp and preseason, but was released in late August two days after the civil suit was filed against him.

Said Bills general manager Brandon Beane at the time, "This is bigger than football. Let's just step back and (let Araiza) go handle this. That's what we thought was most important."

Despite being known as the "Punt God" in college, his lofty draft position and winning the job with Buffalo, the incident has prevented Araiza from ever kicking a ball in the NFL. He remains a free agent.

Araiza still faces a civil suit from the accuser, with a hearing in that case set for July 14.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd take an old one, at this point.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
just take araiza and get it over with, don't let this last any longer with this crap punter.
Reply/Quote
On the one hand, we aren't seeing a lot of punt returns 'cause of hangtime; on the other, we aren't flipping the field when we go 3 and out on our 20 yard line.

I say if Araiza still has got the ability to be the best punter in the league, sign him up.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Would love Araiza but doubt the Bengals want to take that PR hit.

That said we have to be able to find a punter that can flip the field while our offense sputters
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:35 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Do bears sh*t in the woods?

Dad? 

I did laugh because your reply is exactly what my father would say.
Reply/Quote
Robbins by the numbers:

- Second to last in the NFL at 41.1 AVG per punt
- His longest punt is 54 yards; only 2 punters have a shorter 'longest punt'
- His net is 38.9; only 6 punters have a lower net
- He is second in the NFL with 18 punts (a decent sample size after 3 games)
Reply/Quote
Unless there's something we don't know about, there's absolutely no reason not to at least bring Araiza in for a workout. Not saying Robbins is destined to futility, but Araiza is simply better. And unless Burrow gets better, flipping the field is going to be paramount.
Reply/Quote
The idea of a directional punter that focused on hang time was intriguing to me, but it's been "mind boggling" how often he seems to miss-hit kicks off the side of his foot and/or out of bounds.  I wasn't expecting 70 yard bombs, but I also wasn't expecting him to be near the bottom of the NFL in avg and net.  I understand NFL adjustments for most rookies, but not so much for a punter.  I mean what's different about punting in the NFL vs. college??  Still, it has just been 3 games, so hopefully he improves substantially and soon.
Reply/Quote
Robbins is horrible and was a waste of a draft pick. He is ranked near the bottom in both average and net average.

Araiza hasn't been picked up because he is still in court with the civil lawsuit regarding the rape allegations. If he were to be found guilty that would be a very bad look for whatever team had signed him. No team is going to touch him until that trial is over.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:00 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Robbins is horrible and was a waste of a draft pick.  He is ranked near the bottom in both average and net average.  

Araiza hasn't been picked up because he is still in court with the civil lawsuit regarding the rape allegations.  If he were to be found guilty that would be a very bad look for whatever team had signed him.  No team is going to touch him until that trial is over.

I don't know; I'm pretty sure Cleveland doesn't care about potential rapists being on the team.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:00 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Robbins is horrible and was a waste of a draft pick.  He is ranked near the bottom in both average and net average.  

Araiza hasn't been picked up because he is still in court with the civil lawsuit regarding the rape allegations.  If he were to be found guilty that would be a very bad look for whatever team had signed him.  No team is going to touch him until that trial is over.

If he is found innocent then NFL teams looking to sign him ...

[Image: DimpledSingleBlackfish-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bengals aren't going to keep cycling through punter after punter.
We gotta give these guys a chance to develop.

Bengals had to find a new punter with Huber nearing/hitting retirement.
Chrisman had a good leg, struggled with hangtime.
Robbins is supposed to have good hangtime, but he's not a boomer.

If Araiza is able to do both and everyone is comfortable with his off-field situation given he's been cleared of involvement, then they could give him a shot.
But we also should give Robbins more of a chance before throwing in the towel already.
It's been just 3 games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd offer a 7th round pick to the Bucs for their punter.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Hard to say, for me. I don't understand how he can have enough leg for good hang time and placement, but lacks the leg for distance. Is it a trajectory issue? That can be coached. Is he not making contact with the correct part of the ball to allow for more distance? That can be coached up. I guess, right now, my answer is no. Stick w the rookie. Ask again post-bye. Hopefully he has improved by then!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 01:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: On the one hand, we aren't seeing a lot of punt returns 'cause of hangtime; on the other, we aren't flipping the field when we go 3 and out on our 20 yard line.

The punt that was fielded at the 5-yard line had such great hangtime that there was a Bengals defender standing right next to the Rams players as he fielded the ball, and two more standing right in front of him.

Contrast that with the Rams' punts to Charlie Jones, which, while they had distance, had so little hang time he had plenty of space to return the punts. Charlie Jones averaged 11 yards on his punt returns, with one that went 19 yards. The Rams were only able to return one punt and that for only 3 yards.

I think this is why they got Robbins. It's hard to compare what might have happened with another punter who boomed the ball but ended up in great returns. 
Reply/Quote