Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we pass up drafting a QB in this years draft?
(12-30-2017, 05:46 AM)ah5 Wrote: Sweet how many rings he got?  Ok thats a setting the bar kinda high.  How many playoffs he won, still too high.  Whats his record in the division (- the brown), wait still bar too high.  Ok fine lets look at redzone int percentage...... fml this is the standard for bengals fans, mediocrity.  Guess it could be worse.

Again Playoff wins and Rings are an awful way of deciding how good a player is because you know thr entire team has to show up and they haven't in the post season it's not all on 1 player.

His individual achievements are what you should be looking at and those speak for themselves. Franchise Passing Records...and quite a few of them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 06:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Again Playoff wins and Rings are an awful way of deciding how good a player is because you know thr entire team has to show up and they haven't in the post season it's not all on 1 player.

His individual achievements are what you should be looking at and those speak for themselves. Franchise Passing Records...and quite a few of them.

So as long as his stats are good in the regular season, who cares... got it...  Dalton is not a bad QB, hes just awful when it counts and you cannot deny this. I dont think we should go after a QB, but if one is there and hes BPA, we take him. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 07:10 AM)ah5 Wrote: So as long as his stats are good in the regular season, who cares... got it...  Dalton is not a bad QB, hes just awful when it counts and you cannot deny this. I dont think we should go after a QB, but if one is there and hes BPA, we take him. 

Guess where we see differently I think every single game matters including all 16 regular season games.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 05:46 AM)ah5 Wrote: Sweet how many rings he got?  Ok thats a setting the bar kinda high.  How many playoffs he won, still too high.  Whats his record in the division (- the brown), wait still bar too high.  Ok fine lets look at redzone int percentage...... fml this is the standard for bengals fans, mediocrity.  Guess it could be worse.

The only one raising the standard for judging a QB are the Dalton haters who think the only thing that matters is playoff wins. It doesn't matter that by that standard Joe Flacco is a better QB than Dan Marino and Jim Kelley was a better QB than Steve Young.

The rest of us take ALL things into consideration and say that Dalton is, overall, a good QB who is currently playing at an average-to-below-average level this season.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't know if this deserves its own thread, so I'm going to ask here: suppose the new HC wants to draft a top QB as badly as one of the Dalton haters on here does and offers Andy Dalton to the Browns for their first round draft pick straight up. Does Cleveland do it?

You know Hue would LOVE to have Dalton as his QB and would seriously consider this trade. And while I believe Dalton is viewed favorably by most front offices, does the Browns FO decide that finally having a quality QB for a few years (let's say Dalton has about 5 years before he starts to decline due to age) is worth their 1st round pick? Or do they decide to go with an unproven rookie with the potential to be better than Dalton?

I don't want to do this trade, but I was just wondering if the Browns would do it and I can't decide which way they would lean.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 12:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know if this deserves its own thread, so I'm going to ask here: suppose the new HC wants to draft a top QB as badly as one of the Dalton haters on here does and offers Andy Dalton to the Browns for their first round draft pick straight up. Does Cleveland do it?

You know Hue would LOVE to have Dalton as his QB and would seriously consider this trade. And while I believe Dalton is viewed favorably by most front offices, does the Browns FO decide that finally having a quality QB for a few years (let's say Dalton has about 5 years before he starts to decline due to age) is worth their 1st round pick? Or do they decide to go with an unproven rookie with the potential to be better than Dalton?

I don't want to do this trade, but I was just wondering if the Browns would do it and I can't decide which way they would lean.

No way Cleveland gives either of their first round picks for Dalton straight up. If they would do it I would be all over that in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well we currently don't have an elite old QB on the roster, so we might want to try and get a young one. Unless you are really trying to say that if folks want to win Super Bowls they shouldn't draft elite QB prospects. 

Not at all. I'm saying getting an elite quarterback is VERY hard to do. It's not always "Let's draft a 1st round QB" and all your problems are solved.

(12-27-2017, 05:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Jackson in the 4th round?

1st round easily.

(12-28-2017, 12:00 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: And no sooner. The man just doesn't look like he has a future in the NFL. I think he was a product of gimmicky college offenses, a la Geno smith and Tim Tebow. 

How not?
And not at all. They all ran different offenses and all way different prospects.

Actually, even Baker Mayfield plays one of those gimmicky college offenses. The scheme they run allows more open receiver throws. It's actually a very similar offense to that of Johnny Manziel's in college.

But Mayfield is a different prospect than Manziel. Just like Jackson is different from Tebow and Geno.

Jackson has flaws. Not going to deny that.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 12:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know if this deserves its own thread, so I'm going to ask here: suppose the new HC wants to draft a top QB as badly as one of the Dalton haters on here does and offers Andy Dalton to the Browns for their first round draft pick straight up. Does Cleveland do it?

I do think they would, especially after what they would have given for McCarron.

Just depends on whether one team drops the ball or not. Again. Ninja
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
As to the Lamar Jackson talk:

Remember when Teddy Bridgewater was going to be the first pick in the NFL and it wasn't even going to be close?

Dude just faced middle of the road SEC talent and threw 4 INTs and completed 13 of 31 passes

He's small

I don't think he'll go as high as folks think. He's Terrell Pryor without the size.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 08:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the Lamar Jackson talk:

Remember when Teddy Bridgewater was going to be the first pick in the NFL and it wasn't even going to be close?

Dude just faced middle of the road SEC talent and threw 4 INTs and completed 13 of 31 passes

He's small

I don't think he'll go as high as folks think. He's Terrell Pryor without the size.

He'll be worse than Teddy and Terrell. He's all hype and I just don't see what makes people so excited about him at the next level... Of course, I thought Teddy Bridgewater would be decent so wtf do I know?  Smirk
Reply/Quote

Yes no question infact the Bengals could get a lot more than that. A QB in his prime, a QB who had a MVP caliber season with Thier head coach, and there really desperate for a QB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 08:07 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I do think they would, especially after what they would have given for McCarron.

Just depends on whether one team drops the ball or not. Again.  Ninja

Or they can save the 1st or 5th over all pick and take the money they would have to spend on Dalton's contract and sign Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, or Sam Bradford...

Reply/Quote
Offensive linemen and linebackers are this team’s glaring needs. Do NOT take a quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 10:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Or they can save the 1st or 5th over all pick and take the money they would have to spend on Dalton's contract and sign Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, or Sam Bradford...

Kirk is going to Denver and will be twice as expensive as Dalton's contract, Case Keenum will probably stay a viking, and Bradford seriously who would want him with all the injuries he has had?
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 12:51 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Kirk is going to Denver and will be twice as expensive as Dalton's contract, Case Keenum will probably stay a viking, and Bradford seriously who would want him with all the injuries he has had?

First Cousins being paid twice as much as Dalton would make him the highest paid QB in football by a huge margin...lol and if he even comes close to that I would hate to see what Drew Brees' contract would look like because he's also a free agent.

Second my point is this is a bad year to try to deal a QB because their are plenty of Free Agent targets plus draft targets that will slide all the way to the second round.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:15 AM)Synric Wrote: First Cousins being paid twice as much as Dalton would make him the highest paid QB in football by a huge margin...lol and if he even comes close to that I would hate to see what Drew Brees' contract would look like because he's also a free agent.

Second my point is this is a bad year to try to deal a QB because their are plenty of Free Agent targets plus draft targets that will slide all the way to the second round.

Kirk Cousins will get paid more than Drew Bres
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Kirk Cousins will get paid more than Drew Bres

Possible but I don't think cousins is gonna be the highest paid QB in football either. 

I just think it's funny when people say Andy isn't good wont win championships etc. Then turn around and say he's worth a top 5 pick and more...I'm supposed to be a Homer or Dalton defender or whatever and I still don't think he's worth that much.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:15 AM)Synric Wrote: First Cousins being paid twice as much as Dalton would make him the highest paid QB in football by a huge margin...lol and if he even comes close to that I would hate to see what Drew Brees' contract would look like because he's also a free agent.

Well he is probably going to get 30 million a year on the open market vs Andy's 17 million a year.
2ndly Andy is a proven Qb vs a bunch of unkowns Bradford injury prone,  Case Keenum one year wonder, and a bunch of draft picks who might have better potential but are still very unproven players at this point.  Andy is going to have a very strong market if he is available.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:44 AM)Synric Wrote: Possible but I don't think cousins is gonna be the highest paid QB in football either. 

I just think it's funny when people say Andy isn't good wont win championships etc. Then turn around and say he's worth a top 5 pick and more...I'm supposed to be a Homer or Dalton defender or whatever and I still don't think he's worth that much.

Question- how much do you think a team would give up for any of these Qbs  Cam, Ryan, Carr,  Winston, Presscot, and Marota?
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 12:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The only one raising the standard for judging a QB are the Dalton haters who think the only thing that matters is playoff wins. It doesn't matter that by that standard Joe Flacco is a better QB than Dan Marino and Jim Kelley was a better QB than Steve Young.

The rest of us take ALL things into consideration and say that Dalton is, overall, a good QB who is currently playing at an average-to-below-average level this season.

Again Im not saying Dalton is a bad QB.. I never said playoff wins are the only way to rank Qbs.  I am saying Dalton is terrible when it comes to games that count.  I am a realist, and the fact is Dalton is not going to miraculously change and carry this team through January.  Can he get carried, sure, but not with this roster or staff.
Reply/Quote