Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do we play the starters next week?

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 07:55 PM)Destro Wrote: And as someone mention: COVID !

Keep these guys out of the protocol at all costs. If Joe gets pizza delivered, I want the delivery boy in a hazmat suit. You don’t talk to our players, you don’t touch our players.

I’ll bring the pizza myself. Because, I’ll be careful and there is no such thing as good pizza outside of New Jersey. Sorry.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 07:05 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: I’ve never been a fan of resting starters in the final game unless you have the #1 seed wrapped up. It never worked out under Marvin

Nothing worked for Marvin when it came to winning in the playoffs. We have no chance to win without Burrow regardless of seed.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Simple math. 1 is better than 2. 2 is better than 3. 3 is better than 4. 

This team has rested it's starters in the last game, got blown out and went one and done. 

Play to win for the best possible seed and stay on that hot buttered roll.

What he said....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Look at it this way. Go out and win next week and if they get a little luck, with other teams resting their starters (which they won't), Bengals can rest the starters in the 1st round of the playoffs. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The Broncos have a good D, but no offense. Highly unlikely they beat the Chiefs, even at home. They will be eliminated after today.

Still, Denver has a better chance of beating KC than Houston does of beating the Titans.

I'd rest guys for the POs as much as possible. Winning that game gets us almost nothing (3rd vs 4th seed).
Reply/Quote
I've decided what I want them to do. Play all the starters against Cleveland to keep them hot, but gameplan to protect Burrow. Lots of running the ball with Perine and the other RB. Just give Mixon a few carries to keep his groove but don't wear him down. If the Oline is holding up, let Burrrow air it out, but if they are crashing just go to the run game.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:28 PM)TheFan Wrote: Nothing worked for Marvin when it came to winning in the playoffs. We have no chance to win without Burrow regardless of seed.

If Joe Burrow is injured shut him down but still go for the win. There’s a big difference between the number 4 seed and the #1, or even #2 seed. If you don’t think we have a chance for a better seed because the Chiefs and Titans won’t lose then that says a lot about how important those spots are to them. Home field advantage matters
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:50 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: If Joe Burrow is injured shut him down but still go for the win. There’s a big difference between the number 4 seed and the #1, or even #2 seed. If you don’t think we have a chance for a better seed because the Chiefs and Titans won’t lose then that says a lot about how important those spots are to them. Home field advantage matters

This team have been Road Warriors this season, and enjoy going into other's stadiums and shutting up their fans. That said, Cincy fans deserve home games.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:28 PM)TheFan Wrote: Nothing worked for Marvin when it came to winning in the playoffs. We have no chance to win without Burrow regardless of seed.
I disagree, this team has weapons on offense and defense , they can win playoff game though odds not good with out Burrow
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:50 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: If Joe Burrow is injured shut him down but still go for the win. There’s a big difference between the number 4 seed and the #1, or even #2 seed. If you don’t think we have a chance for a better seed because the Chiefs and Titans won’t lose then that says a lot about how important those spots are to them. Home field advantage matters

In this season at this point, with Burrow being banged up, our Oline being trash, and the Browns having a great Dline we shouldn't be playing Burrow with very little to gain and a lot to lose. 

If we were in the 1st seed and playing to lose it that's different but the chances are probably just as high of Burrow getting hurt as they are us jumping to the 1st seed. 

Whichever way we go I won't be upset (unless Burrow gets hurt) but if it was up to me I sit people. 
Reply/Quote
Does Cleveland even have anything to play for? They can't win the Division, we already did. So they can't even play spoiler. They may just IR all their players that are banged up and call it quits, and get an early start on rehabs.
Reply/Quote
If it were up to me I would treat it like a late preseason game and play the starters for a quarter or so to get them work and then pull them.

But really just going to let the team and coaches make this call and then support it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:56 PM)TheFan Wrote: In this season at this point, with Burrow being banged up, our Oline being trash, and the Browns having a great Dline we shouldn't be playing Burrow with very little to gain and a lot to lose. 

If we were in the 1st seed and playing to lose it that's different but the chances are probably just as high of Burrow getting hurt as they are us jumping to the 1st seed. 

Whichever way we go I won't be upset (unless Burrow gets hurt) but if it was up to me I sit people. 

The #1 seed is at play. If Burrow is banged up I understand saving him for the playoffs. We still benefit from a win next week. Even the #3 seed matters when there’s a realistic chance that Buffalo or New England could be waiting for us in the AFC championship.

On that note the Patriots have more Super Bowls than anyone and they never rest their starters. It makes perfect sense to rest the starters but historically it doesn’t work out
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are currently in the #3 spot. If the Bengals lose next week and Buffalo wins, the Bengals would fall to #4.

The Bengals would also fall to #4 with a loss and a New England win.

The Bengals would stay at #3 if they lose as well as Buffalo and New England both lose next week.

The Bengals would move to the #2 spot with a win next week and either a KC or Tennessee loss.

The Bengals would move to the #1 spot with a win next week while both KC and Tennessee lose.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 08:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Does Cleveland even have anything to play for? They can't win the Division, we already did. So they can't even play spoiler. They may just IR all their players that are banged up and call it quits, and get an early start on rehabs.

Good news is, Chargers win eliminated the Browns and with the Bengals wrapping up the North, they won't be flexed next week. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The question then becomes do you want to try to move up to the #1 or #2 spot and would you be ok if you rested everyone and fell to the #4 spot.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 09:14 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: The #1 seed is at play. If Burrow is banged up I understand saving him for the playoffs. We still benefit from a win next week. Even the #3 seed matters when there’s a realistic chance that Buffalo or New England could be waiting for us in the AFC championship.

On that note the Patriots have more Super Bowls than anyone and they never rest their starters. It makes perfect sense to rest the starters but historically it doesn’t work out

Again, wouldn't be upset either way. The Patriots traditionally had one of the best Olines year in and year out with Brady rarely being hit. Big difference from that compared to ours. 
Reply/Quote
Play whoever they want next week as long as they are healthy as possible in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 09:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: Again, wouldn't be upset either way. The Patriots traditionally had one of the best Olines year in and year out with Brady rarely being hit. Big difference from that compared to ours. 

I agree and it's a concern. But let's say he plays and we win and KC loses against Bronco's? Denver has a good D. Their offense not so great. Yet, I doubt Denver would be considered an easy win for KC. However, Tennessee plays Houston so maybe we should rest Burrow. IDK? Any given Sunday and Houston did beat the Chargers last week.

Reply/Quote