Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do we play the starters next week?
Everybody is talking about no chance of getting 1 seed. I don’t care about that as much as just not dropping to 4 and facing the hoodie. We have our first 3 game win streak and to take our foot off the gas, lose and then face the best coach in the NFL makes me nervous.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And if he rests them, and they come out flat in the playoff game, he will be crucified for taking a hot hand and letting it cool off. Like I said, no win decision. 

That notion carries more water if what we just clinched was the bye.  In that case resting your starters means 2 weeks off which some 1 seeds in the past have appeared rusty after doing so.

If one week off were so awful, why we do want the bye at all?  We might get rusty right?  I don't think one week is a big deal at all.  In fact, to let banged up players rest and heal as close to 100 percent as possible by taking it easy for just the one week is a good thing.

Basically we've earned the right to give ourselves an "almost a bye" week and can hit the playoffs running with one of the more relatively healthy teams in the league fresh and rested.

One decision would be second guessed for sure if a loss followed.  Losing Burrow or chase in an essentially meaningless game would be unforgivable.

Its a no brainer, the boys are sitting, taking some light practice reps and getting extra treatment for the various nicks and pain that come with every season so they can come out fresh for the tournament.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 04:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see Burrow go out there and target Boyd to get him over 1000 yds. He needs about 170 to hit it.

Sounds like a good plan.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:29 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Everybody is talking about no chance of getting 1 seed. I don’t care about that as much as just not dropping to 4 and facing the hoodie. We have our first 3 game win streak and to take our foot off the gas, lose and then face the best coach in the NFL makes me nervous.

Losing to hoodie would suck.  Knowing that no matter who you play youre going to lose cuz joe is hurt cuz you played him in a game that will feature a "their strength vs our weakness" match up, they got nothing to lose so they can disrespect the run and just go after burrow....AND even if we won we probably gain nothing......yea....that would suck wayyyy worse.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
With the recent Covid revelations.... I'm not sure I even send them to Cleveland....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 07:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: With the recent Covid revelations.... I'm not sure I even send them to Cleveland....lol.

This would be our luck.

Reply/Quote
My 2 cents...

This is our first playoff game in a while so
losing one of our stars would be terrible. Remember the Indy playoff game?
It would be awesome to go to the playoffs with "everyone" rested.

WTS, I would start Boyd and try to get him his 1000 yds and if KC loses Saturday and there's a chance to get the 1 seed, how can you not go for it? Honestly, with Mayfield sitting we may win with our back ups and still get the 1 seed somehow. Then our starters get 2 weeks rest and possibly lose their chemistry a little

So do the starters play all or part of the first half as long as no dirty play is happening? At halftime check the scores to see what is going on with the other games. If the 1 seed is still in play based on the scores do you send them back out there?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:14 PM)Mer Wrote: My 2 cents...

This is our first playoff game in a while so
losing one of our stars would be terrible. Remember the Indy playoff game?
It would be awesome to go to the playoffs with "everyone" rested.

WTS, I would start Boyd and try to get him his 1000 yds and if KC loses Saturday and there's a chance to get the 1 seed, how can you not go for it? Honestly, with Mayfield sitting we may win with our back ups and still get the 1 seed somehow. Then our starters get 2 weeks rest and possibly lose their chemistry a little

So do the starters play all or part of the first half as long as no dirty play is happening? At halftime check the scores to see what is going on with the other games. If the 1 seed is still in play based on the scores do you send them back out there?

I'm all with sitting the most starters we can at this point.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm all with sitting the most starters we can at this point.

Ultimately, I'm with you on resting them. I think part of me just hates to think of losing a Sunday during the regular season to something that resembles a preseason game.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:24 PM)Mer Wrote: Ultimately, I'm with you on resting them. I think part of me just hates to think of losing a Sunday during the regular season to something that resembles a preseason game.

I know. But with the covid thing flying through the locker room and possible injuries, I say we get our best players on the field because lets face it, To win the SB, we got to be ready to beat whoever we face. There's not a stinking team in the playoffs we can't beat healthy.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:29 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Everybody is talking about no chance of getting 1 seed. I don’t care about that as much as just not dropping to 4 and facing the hoodie. We have our first 3 game win streak and to take our foot off the gas, lose and then face the best coach in the NFL makes me nervous.

Counterpoint: The goal is to win a Superbowl. You'll either have to face them or someone who has beat them on the path to that Superbowl. With that in mind, it's best to ensure you got as many healthy players as possible going in to that game.
Reply/Quote
We're on a streak. Worst thing isn't an injury. It's not losing. It's putting in the second string and them losing. That is going to be a divider, both between the staff and players and the players themselves.

Play the starters. Use a conservative game plan.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 11:11 PM)treee Wrote: Counterpoint: The goal is to win a Superbowl. You'll either have to face them or someone who has beat them on the path to that Superbowl. With that in mind, it's best to ensure you got as many healthy players as possible going in to that game.

I’d really like to look at the data of teams who rested their starters the final week of the season and the result of the following playoff game. I only know ours, and vividly remember the Colts when they went 14-0 rested their starters and then got beat their first game in the playoffs (2nd round maybe)
Reply/Quote
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but the Texans already beat the Titans once this year with Henry, and Denver hung with KC.. It's not that far fetched. Play the starters..
Reply/Quote
If KC loses, definitely play. Otherwise, I am of 2 minds.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:57 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I want the 1 the 4 seed is the most valuable seed in AFC after 1. We get Titans and stay away from Chiefs Chargers until conference championship with the 4 As long as we lose to Browns we the 4.

Beware of saying you want The Titans.  You greatly under estimate The Titans. Talk is Henry may be back for play-offs also. 

You say stay away from Chiefs and Chargers.  I will add Bills, Patriots, Colts are very tough teams also.  Raiders might beat out Chargers. If so, that means Raiders are no easy game.  There will be No Easy Games in the Play-Offs for Anybody.  

This is why we need a Healthy Joe Burrow in The Play-Offs.  If Burrow is limping and gets more injured in Cleveland, Bengals can kiss any chance for a Play-Off Win good-bye.  HOWEVER if Burrow and Mixon are Healthy, they are like the 1981 Bengals.  Now play-off teams could double team Chad or Green years.  In 1981, MVP Anderson has Curtis, Collinsworth, Verser, Ross, Pete Johnson, so too many to Double Team.  Burrow has Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, Mixon and too many to Double Team. 

This is a good team that proved they can beat anybody.  If Burrow and Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah are Healthy, they can WIN in play-offs.   If Burrow gets more injured against Browns or Mixon gets injured, Bengals will go One and Done. 

I now point out that Burrow is the most sacked quarterback in the NFL in 2021.  The NFL added an extra week.  With The AFC North already won, Burrow and Bengals need this new extra week like a hole in the head. Browns are just the team to add to Burrow being the most sacked quarterback in the NFL in 2021.  With Burrow limping off after Chiefs win, this is not good.  You people do remember Burrow had a major injury and a major surgery and wears a leg brace to try to get through 2021.  Plus he injured his throwing hand finger.  Isn't Burrow leading the NFL in getting sacked enough already, plus the pounding he took in 2020 behind an even worse O Line. 

Injured Burrow is the most sacked quarterback in the NFL.  The NFL adding this extra week does not help.  How awful it would be to see Burrow collapsed on the Cleveland field and carted off to the hospital. and for What ?  The Bengals are already AFC North Champs.  Play the back-up QB and save Burrow for The Play-Offs.  Burrow is the most sacked quarterback in NFL due to the O Line still not there yet, so why add more sacks and injuries to Burrow when it is not needed. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 08:08 AM)kevin Wrote: Beware of saying you want The Titans.  You greatly under estimate The Titans. Talk is Henry may be back for play-offs also. 

You say stay away from Chiefs and Chargers.  I will add Bills, Patriots, Colts are very tough teams also.  Raiders might beat out Chargers. If so, that means Raiders are no easy game.  There will be No Easy Games in the Play-Offs for Anybody.  

This is why we need a Healthy Joe Burrow in The Play-Offs.  If Burrow is limping and gets more injured in Cleveland, Bengals can kiss any chance for a Play-Off Win good-bye.  HOWEVER if Burrow and Mixon are Healthy, they are like the 1981 Bengals.  Now play-off teams could double team Chad or Green years.  In 1981, MVP Anderson has Curtis, Collinsworth, Verser, Ross, Pete Johnson, so too many to Double Team.  Burrow has Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, Mixon and too many to Double Team. 

This is a good team that proved they can beat anybody.  If Burrow and Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah are Healthy, they can WIN in play-offs.   If Burrow gets more injured against Browns or Mixon gets injured, Bengals will go One and Done. 

I now point out that Burrow is the most sacked quarterback in the NFL in 2021.  The NFL added an extra week.  With The AFC North already won, Burrow and Bengals need this new extra week like a hole in the head. Browns are just the team to add to Burrow being the most sacked quarterback in the NFL in 2021.  With Burrow limping off after Chiefs win, this is not good.  You people do remember Burrow had a major injury and a major surgery and wears a leg brace to try to get through 2021.  Plus he injured his throwing hand finger.  Isn't Burrow leading the NFL in getting sacked enough already, plus the pounding he took in 2020 behind an even worse O Line. 

Injured Burrow is the most sacked quarterback in the NFL.  The NFL adding this extra week does not help.  How awful it would be to see Burrow collapsed on the Cleveland field and carted off to the hospital. and for What ?  The Bengals are already AFC North Champs.  Play the back-up QB and save Burrow for The Play-Offs.  Burrow is the most sacked quarterback in NFL due to the O Line still not there yet, so why add more sacks and injuries to Burrow when it is not needed. 

Yes Kevin we all understand that all the playoff teams are good.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Zac explained that the KC game would have no impact on the decision, as it would be made days before that. That kinda throws my ideas on the KC/DEN tilt out the window.

There's a lot of different takes on this here, with some good logic backing them up, whether agreed with or not. For me, there's several variables at play... Covid, getting depth players live reps in case they're called upon in the playoffs, healing up some bumps and bruises, etc. It's not just black and white.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
start first half, see how the game is going, along with the kc results, and how the titans are faring
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: With Hayseed being out, this may be another reason to sit guys, but I'm till all on the start 'em side of things.

I don't want to play Buffalo or NE in the first round; I'm gunning for the 2 seed or to stay at 3.

If it's a Stooler sitch where we score 31 points in the first half, it's backups the rest of the way, regardless of scoreboard watching.

Don't think Zac will bench anyone and will still gun for the win.

Even with so many starters on the Covid list? I don't know, my thoughts have changed to sit'em more after this news.

I guess I understand playing the starters we can in the first half seeing how it goes and giving us a chance at the 1 seed.

I also understand getting Boyd his 1000 yards and Chase his stuff and giving snaps to Evans and Perine since Mixon can't go.

Call me pretty perplexed here after the covid news. Mellow
Reply/Quote