Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone on here see any truth in moving Wiiliams inside?
Does anyone on here see any truth in this statement?

Quote:Cincinnati upgrades its protection of Joe Burrow by selecting Penei Sewell. Sewell's selection enables incumbent left tackle Jonah Williams to flip to right tackle or slide inside as many had projected in the pre-draft process.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-four-quarterbacks-taken-in-top-five-dolphins-land-elite-wr-patriots-scoop-up-kyle-pitts/amp/

It hadn't occurred to that the Bengals would see yhis as a solution, especially with Hart not living up to being a good RT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think you go Jonah and Sewell in that scenario. Well most teams would. The Bengals? I don't know.

On Jonah and Hart, they grade out fairly similar on PFF. Except Jonah is above average in pass pro and bad run blocking. Hart is the exact opposite. But, I think Jonah should only improve from this point forward.

Wasn't the knock on Jonah in the draft process 'short arms'?

Moving Jonah to Guard would probably make him really mad too. Generally that's considered a demotion.
Reply/Quote
Seems logical to try him on the right side first

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Are we so sure that Sewell can handle LT day 1? He's going to be what 21 years old? He didn't play college fb this last year.

Might be wise to ease him in on the right side.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 02:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Does anyone on here see any truth in this statement?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-four-quarterbacks-taken-in-top-five-dolphins-land-elite-wr-patriots-scoop-up-kyle-pitts/amp/

It hadn't occurred to that the Bengals would see yhis as a solution, especially with Hart not living up to being a good RT.

most people said when he came out that he could be an all pro guard,  I don't see why that wouldn't be a good move especially if you draft two tackles or bring in a vet

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't see anything wrong with playing Sewell at RT. He's got the size and power to do it, and Hart needs replaced. Jonah has missed so many games since drafted that it's tough to say what he can or can't do at this point. I let him stay at LT until he proves that he's not capable of playing the spot or Sewell proves that he's just too damn good not to be the LT. It's all moot until the draft, anyway.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 02:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Moving Jonah to Guard would probably make him really mad too. Generally that's considered a demotion.

Really? I'm not sure why players would considered it a demotion if it improves the line. I mean, all positions are important to the success of the team. I mean, in a way I kind of get it because I used to play SS, 3B, LF and pitch in baseball. But any time I was put to play RF, I thought WTF? Only nerds play here.  Ninja However, for anyone thats played both LF and RF, the way the ball comes off the bat is way different and it was a hellova challenge the few times I was asked to do so. I've never played on the line in football so I really don't know.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote:
Really? I'm not sure why players would considered it a demotion if it improves the line
. I mean, all positions are important to the success of the team. I mean, in a way I kind of get it because I used to play SS, 3B, LF and pitch in baseball. But any time I was put to play RF, I thought WTF? Only nerds play here.  Ninja However, for anyone thats played both LF and RF, the way the ball comes off the bat is way different and it was a hellova challenge the few times I was asked to do so. I've never played on the line in football so I really don't know.

Probably because his second contract is not going to be near as high if he's a guard as opposed to a Left Tackle. They would be devaluating him basically.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Probably because his second contract is not going to be near as high if he's a guard as opposed to a Left Tackle. They would be devaluating him basically.

Ok. Well, I guess I never realized a G made less than a T? Holy shit, I think I've been a fan of the Bengals too long. That sounded something like Mike Brown would say.  Wink

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Probably because his second contract is not going to be near as high if he's a guard as opposed to a Left Tackle. They would be devaluating him basically.

That's a big part of it.

Moving Jonah to G and keeping Hart at RT is another.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a big part of it.

Moving Jonah to G and keeping Hart at RT is another.

Now this would not make sense. 

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ok. Well, I guess I never realized a G made less than a T? Holy shit, I think I've been a fan of the Bengals too long. That sounded something like Mike Brown would say.  Wink

Order of pay... OT, OG, C (I thought Center would be higher)

In 2019 highest paid OT was Trent Brown at 16.5 million
Highest paid OG was Zack Martin at 14 million
Highest paid Center was Rodney Hudson at 11.2 million
Reply/Quote
Sewell will be a LT. All of the “experts” I have read say he’s going to be great. Much high ceiling than Jonah and he’s young so he will just get better. I also think if you take a OT in the top 5 then you are drafting a left tackle.
The only negative is that your RT is usually a very good run blocker first but I am not sure that matters as much now days.
Adding a guy like Sewell will make this a much better line regardless of where they play him.
Reply/Quote
Just tell him that Willie Anderson completely failed at LT in his first year playing and then went on to a long career only having to face every teams #2 pass rusher for the rest of his career.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Order of pay... OT, OG, C (I thought Center would be higher)

In 2019 highest paid OT was Trent Brown at 16.5 million
Highest paid OG was Zack Martin at 14 million
Highest paid Center was Rodney Hudson at 11.2 million

I won't swear to it, but I thought Centers were paid higher until The Browns/Hue Jackson blew up the guard market with the Zeitler signing in 2017. All of a sudden a non-Pro Bowl G got paid $12m/yr, the highest in the NFL. Messed things up a bit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
JW is one of the better young LTs in the NFL. The only one drafted in the last 3 years that is out performing him is Beckton.

Currently his biggest issue appears to be durability. If we draft Sewell, I'd start Sewell at RT.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ok. Well, I guess I never realized a G made less than a T? Holy shit, I think I've been a fan of the Bengals too long. That sounded something like Mike Brown would say.  Wink

Yeah, that's where we ran into an issue with Zeitler. He was a guard that wanted tackle money. We were going by the existing guard scale and passed. 

Our line has been in bad shape pretty much since then.

As to the OP, no idea. Coming out Jonah was the highest ranked tackle at defending the pass (in the 90s) and second best at the run (like 83?). Given that he will have about the same experience as Sewell, no idea if they view it as open competition, or if they'll look to Jonah having a little more experience, or if they'll look to move him because he's apparently made of paper mache. You need consistency at LT and Jonah may there all season or he may not see the field.

Which bums me out. I thought he was a great pick, but then we've seen the guy half a season in two years.

Anyway, from what I've seen and read, Sewell has good speed, which you can use at either tackle. He's immovable in pass protection or he can get a few steps downfield to open up running lanes. Either way, he's got a spot.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 06:46 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Sewell will be a LT. All of the “experts” I have read say he’s going to be great. Much high ceiling than Jonah and he’s young so he will just get better.  I also think if you take a OT in the top 5 then you are drafting a left tackle.
The only negative is that your RT is usually a very good run blocker first but I am not sure that matters as much now days.
Adding a guy like Sewell will make this a much better line regardless of where they play him.

For expectations, Sewell will be 21. He's likely going to have early atruggles/adjustment to the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 07:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JW is one of the better young LTs in the NFL. The only one drafted in the last 3 years that is out performing him is Beckton.

Currently his biggest issue appears to be durability. If we draft Sewell, I'd start Sewell at RT.

I think that would be my plan as well. I cant emphasize enough that Sewell will be 21 and needs ease into nfl.

Your 1st paragraph illustrates how hard lt is in the modern nfl.

Jonah really just needs to work on run blocking mainly.
Reply/Quote
If Bengals draft Sewell, they could move Jonah to RT; but because he has short arms, sort of like Connor Williams, they could move him to Guard. Bothers me that in two season, Jonah has not remained healthy. I would not count him out but it does not look good for his second contract thus far for a player to go to IR two season in row. Jonah is gritty and tough but does not have the physique of a high caliber NFL OL player. He is average or adequate when healthy and has made heady plays, but I would not rule out moving him inside.

Slaughter OL Northwestern is a very good prospect if selected in 2nd round, could be guard of future or RT.

The OL is a mess and the OL coach will probably get fired. They have to fix the OL or Burrow's risk of reinjury is significant.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote