Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Don’t be upset about losing out & why it is ok.
(11-27-2023, 10:41 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: We are currently 15… tied with a bunch of other 5 win teams.  I’m not sure the bengals can win another game, so they actually have a shot at moving all the way up to 5…. More realistically is 7-9, as they will most likely win one more.

1. Chicago (via Carolina - 1-10)

2. Arizona (2-10)

3. New England (2-9)

4. Chicago (3-8)

5. Washington (4-8)

6. New York Giants (4-8)

7. Tampa Bay (4-7)

8. New York Jets (4-7)

9. Los Angeles Chargers (4-7)

10. Tennessee (4-7)

11. Las Vegas (5-7)

12. New Orleans (5-6)

13. Green Bay (5-6)

14. Los Angeles Rams (5-6)

15. Cincinnati (5-6)

16. Buffalo (6-6)

17. Arizona (via Houston - 6-5)

18. Denver (6-5)

19. Atlanta (5-6)

20. Indianapolis (6-5)

21. Minnesota (6-5)

22. Seattle (6-5)

23. Pittsburgh (7-4)

24. Houston (via Cleveland - 7-4)

25. Miami (8-3)

26. Dallas (8-3)

27. Detroit (8-3)

28. Jacksonville (8-3)

29. Kansas City (8-3)

30. San Francisco (8-3)

31. Baltimore (9-3)

32. Philadelphia (10-1)

I ran a playoff machine to see where we would be in the draft and we ended up 5th. I'm gonna guess that's where we pick. With some of the teams ahead of us needing a QB I think we can get a quality guy in the draft next year 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It seems that for some Bengals' fans, regular seasons are just a precursor for the draft, useful to set draft position and evaluate who was drafted. Perhaps it was an outcome of the three decades without a single playoff win, when posters would quip that the draft was the Bengals' Super Bowl.

To each their own in terms of what they enjoy about being a fan. If the draft is what brings them the most joy, so be it. For some, the most joy is their fantasy teams, to the point they are rooting for opposing players, even opposing defenses, to do well against the Bengals.

I myself would struggle watching the Bengals play and rooting for their opponents, either to improve draft position or for fantasy teams. I've watched years of all the focus being on the draft only for the posters to be disappointed with who was drafted, with the disappointment either on draft day or how they performed during the regular season.

But, to each their own. Sports is supposed to be entertainment and if the draft is what is most enjoyable, then so be it.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well..we're eliminated from almost anyone with 5 wins in the AFC.. 
And DEFINITELY knocked out all the AFCN competition... Don't be so pessimistic about our ability to lose.. 

Oh, we are going to lose alright. I am not pessimistic about that ability.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:48 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I ran a playoff machine to see where we would be in the draft and we ended up 5th. I'm gonna guess that's where we pick. With some of the teams ahead of us needing a QB I think we can get a quality guy in the draft next year 

Remember that the first-round draft position between tied teams record-wise depends on strength of schedule. Because the Bengals have a very strong strength of schedule, the likelihood is they would pick later than other teams with the same record. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:50 AM)Nepa Wrote: It seems that for some Bengals' fans, regular seasons are just a precursor for the draft, useful to set draft position and evaluate who was drafted. Perhaps it was an outcome of the three decades without a single playoff win, when posters would quip that the draft was the Bengals' Super Bowl.

To each their own in terms of what they enjoy about being a fan. If the draft is what brings them the most joy, so be it. For some, the most joy is their fantasy teams, to the point they are rooting for opposing players, even opposing defenses, to do well against the Bengals.

I myself would struggle watching the Bengals play and rooting for their opponents, either to improve draft position or for fantasy teams. I've watched years of all the focus being on the draft only for the posters to be disappointed with who was drafted, with the disappointment either on draft day or how they performed during the regular season.

But, to each their own. Sports is supposed to be entertainment and if the draft is what is most enjoyable, then so be it.

Don’t get me wrong, I was hoping the bengals would win yesterday. I really was holding out hope that browning would prove me wrong. It’s just not the case. Midway through the 4th, I decided it would be better use of my time taking my daughter to kings island. At this point in the season, a win is really meaningless. I am hoping to see development from our younger guys to see what we have. I’d love to see chase brown on the field, and decide if we have anything there.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm hoping too but I'm tired of hoping with this organization. I want them to transform to an elite franchise that is known for winning a lot of Super Bowls like the Steelers, Cowboys, or Broncos.

Who Dey Please win a Super Bowl before I grow old and leave Earth.

Until we have ownership that can afford to operate at the same level of others and is totally committed to winning we will be here praying our stars can carry us.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:50 AM)Nepa Wrote: It seems that for some Bengals' fans, regular seasons are just a precursor for the draft, useful to set draft position and evaluate who was drafted. Perhaps it was an outcome of the three decades without a single playoff win, when posters would quip that the draft was the Bengals' Super Bowl.

I can guarantee you that there wasn't a single fan rooting against the Bengals before Burrow got hurt. Things have changed now, securing the best pick we can is the best option for us in the long term. We need to be pragmatic here, I think we should play the young guys and see what we have, tank the rest of the season and secure a Top 10 Pick, since there's no way we're making a deep playoff run with Browning/Plitt/McCarron running the show. Don't forget we can remain competitive and still lose games.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:42 AM)grampahol Wrote: Not to sound pessimistic or anything, but isn't this a bit like hoping you wake up tomorrow hoping your pecker is two inches bigger than yesterday? You could start spending money for penis enlargement products..  Cool

How'd you know my other inner thoughts? Shocked
Reply/Quote

This is absolutely disingenuous and ignorant.  Everyone wanted us to win this season, the vast majority wanted us to win yesterday.   We havent discussed the draft early in the last couple of years.

However, many of us actually realize the capabilities of the current squad and the time left this season.  Many of us understand that next year provides us a much better chance at obtaining our goals.  Many of us understand how important a good draft is this year as we will have even more mega contracts limiting the number of vets moving forward.

And how dare you?  What a pompous ass, many of us are season ticket holders, I have held 2 sets for several years.  Many of us actually go to away games.  I would gladly compare my expenditures in supporting and following this team with ANY poster on this board.  In fact I would love to compare my personal investment with yours. 

Your attitude to those of us that are not upset with losing games moving forward in order to build a sustainable team over the next 4 years simply reveals a lack of forward looking and understanding on on your part.  The draft is not more enjoyable to us, this season sucks terribly for those of us that have actually invested time and money.    I am now focused on sustained success moving forward hoping players stay healthy and young guys get valuable experience. 

You are incredibly wrong in your assessment, you are NOT a better fan than others here, and you are certainly no where near as knowledgeable.  

Reply/Quote
Securing a better draft position may not be the be-all and end-all for the Cincinnati Bengals. This team is NOT “just a key player or two” away from being competitive.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: This is absolutely disingenuous and ignorant.  Everyone wanted us to win this season, the vast majority wanted us to win yesterday.   We havent discussed the draft early in the last couple of years.

However, many of us actually realize the capabilities of the current squad and the time left this season.  Many of us understand that next year provides us a much better chance at obtaining our goals.  Many of us understand how important a good draft is this year as we will have even more mega contracts limiting the number of vets moving forward.

And how dare you?  What a pompous ass, many of us are season ticket holders, I have held 2 sets for several years.  Many of us actually go to away games.  I would gladly compare my expenditures in supporting and following this team with ANY poster on this board.  In fact I would love to compare my personal investment with yours. 

Your attitude to those of us that are not upset with losing games moving forward in order to build a sustainable team over the next 4 years simply reveals a lack of forward looking and understanding on on your part.  The draft is not more enjoyable to us, this season sucks terribly for those of us that have actually invested time and money.    I am now focused on sustained success moving forward hoping players stay healthy and young guys get valuable experience. 

You are incredibly wrong in your assessment, you are NOT a better fan than others here, and you are certainly no where near as knowledgeable.  

Touchy. You didn't counter anything I said, just launched into a vicious and uncalled for attack: "pompous ass" "Ignorant," "not a better fan than others here, " no where near as knowledgeable." Please read what I said, rather than what you think I said. You are assuming tone and opinions that were not there. Which makes me wonder why you are being so defensive.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: However, many of us actually realize the capabilities of the current squad and the time left this season.  Many of us understand that next year provides us a much better chance at obtaining our goals.  Many of us understand how important a good draft is this year as we will have even more mega contracts limiting the number of vets moving forward.

Agreed about recognizing that next year is more realistic for Super Bowl contention than the current season. Most teams win the Super Bowl with an elite QB and our elite QB is out for the year. Browning isn't Dilfer or Foles 2.0.

I'm a Bengals fan and want them to win but I can also be pragmatic and discuss how there is an opportunity for a nice 2024 draft slot that potentially strengthens the 2024 roster if they lose most of their remaining games.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Securing a better draft position may not be the be-all and end-all for the Cincinnati Bengals.  This team is NOT “just a key player or two” away from being competitive.

No one said it is, but we will be drafting NINE players and the better slot in the 1st Rd is the same throughout each round in the draft.

This nonsensical claim that the "draft isnt going to save us" and "we have had busts in the past", is mind numbingly small minded.

So what?  We still must replenish and the FACT is that the higher players are ranked the better they are in the league, overall.  Some high picks are busts and some late rounders do well, but overall, the higher the better.  And this team needs all the help it can get.  

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:23 AM)Nepa Wrote: Touchy. You didn't counter anything I said, just launched into a vicious and uncalled for attack: "pompous ass" "Ignorant," "not a better fan than others here." Please read what I said, rather than what you think I said. You are assuming tone and opinions that were not there. Which makes me wonder why you are being so defensive.

I absolutely countered everything you said, and I did not like your tone and assumptions of others.  I will do it again, more succinctly.

You said:

"It seems that for some Bengals' fans, regular seasons are just a precursor for the draft".   - That is stupid.  Name one poster that cares about the draft more than the season.  You cant, it was a pathetic and stupid comment about others.

"If the draft is what brings them the most joy, so be it."   Who on this board are you saying this about?  You cant name anyone because it is a stupid lie.

"For some, the most joy is their fantasy teams, to the point they are rooting for opposing players, even opposing defenses, to do well against the Bengals."  Again name them.  Again, you cant, another presumptuous and incorrect statement.

"I myself would struggle watching the Bengals play and rooting for their opponents".  Who has rooted against the team?  Name them.  You cant.  You are not intelligent enough to understand the difference in being ok with a loss versus rooting to lose.  You are not a better fan than anyone here.

"Sports is supposed to be entertainment and if the draft is what is most enjoyable, then so be it."  Absolutely NO ONE here has said this.  This is you projecting on others. It is wrong, it is stupid, it is arrogant. 

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:26 AM)casear2727 Wrote: No one said it is, but we will be drafting NINE players and the better slot in the 1st Rd is the same throughout each round in the draft.

This nonsensical claim that the "draft isnt going to save us" and "we have had busts in the past", is mind numbingly small minded.

So what?  We still must replenish and the FACT is that the higher players are ranked the better they are in the league, overall.  Some high picks are busts and some late rounders do well, but overall, the higher the better.  And this team needs all the help it can get.  

whats sad is that next season was supposed to be the soft rebuild. This was the year they had to make another deep playoff run. And they really couldve. The AFC is so weak this year

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:53 AM)Nepa Wrote: Remember that the first-round draft position between tied teams record-wise depends on strength of schedule. Because the Bengals have a very strong strength of schedule, the likelihood is they would pick later than other teams with the same record. 

I put that we lost out, and because of thar we moved ro 5th. The calculator put SoS into consideration. I had Chicago, Arizona, Chicago, New England, and then us.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:39 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: whats sad is that next season was supposed to be the soft rebuild. This was the year they had to make another deep playoff run. And they really couldve. The AFC is so weak this year

AFC is horrendous. Chiefs offense blows, jags are soft (IMo), ravens are beatable and dolphins can’t beat a .500 club. The best team in the AFc over the last month is the broncos. They have a five game win streak and beaten 4 strong teams consecutively.

The fact that, if the playoffs started today, you have the PJ walker, Kenny Pickett and Gardner minshew in the playoffs is about as bad as I can recall.
Reply/Quote
This thread is honestly creating the most thought provoking comments from any thread on the front page.

I’m over the “Jake browning stinks”, “Zac is exposed”, “need a run game”, etc.

The balance of this year should be to see growth and development from young guys.

Can we get Chase brown healthy and see what we have?
Can we see what macaron has?
Could he be a viable backup for next year?
If not? Should we consider a mid round pick on a backup qb? Especially after this year..
can we see continued growth out of Myles Murphy?
Can we can Frank pollack and see any development on the OL
Get Charlie jones looks and see if he is at all a Boyd replacement.
bench Scott and give battle looks.

The list goes on.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:46 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: AFC is horrendous. Chiefs offense blows, jags are soft (IMo), ravens are beatable and dolphins can’t beat a .500 club. The best team in the AFc over the last month is the broncos. They have a five game win streak and beaten 4 strong teams consecutively.

The fact that, if the playoffs started today, you have the PJ walker, Kenny Pickett and Gardner minshew in the playoffs is about as bad as I can recall.

This was the worst year for Burrow to get hurt. Now next season you have to deal with the jets having rodgers, and an off-season for them to fix their o-line, the chiefs will definitely address their issues and be a better team, the Texans will take a step forward... It’s just awful timing really

This year was for the taking

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:52 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This thread is honestly creating the most thought provoking comments from any thread on the front page.

I’m over the “Jake browning stinks”, “Zac is exposed”, “need a run game”, etc.

The balance of this year should be to see growth and development from young guys.

Can we get Chase brown healthy and see what we have?  
Can we see what macaron has?  
  Could he be a viable backup for next year?  
   If not? Should we consider a mid round pick on a backup qb?  Especially     after this year..
can we see continued growth out of Myles Murphy?
Can we can Frank pollack and see any development on the OL
Get Charlie jones looks and see if he is at all a Boyd replacement.  
bench Scott and give battle looks.

The list goes on.

Brown is healthy and played 0 snaps.

Jones 0 snaps.

Yoshi played 4.
Reply/Quote