Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't forget about Jake Fisher
Everyone it the draft forum and in here are talking about how we must get a tackle early. I'm not sure there is a tackle in this draft that is a better prospect than Jake Fisher. Before going down with A-fib Jake was having a mediocre season at RT (55 of 83) but he was learning. One must also wonder did his heart condition affect his play. He did say he had to get treated for a "supersonic" heart rate in an early season workout.

I for one am willing to give Jake first crack at RT (who knows what Pollack can do for him Doug Free was garbage at RT before Pollack got a hold of him) and focus on the interior of our oline.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree 100%.

In a recent thread I posted 14 Bengals in a poll for "dark horse" player in 2018. Fisher finished third behind Westerman and Josh Malone. So there are others who also see him as our starting RT.
Reply/Quote
Agreed. I still have some hope for Fisher. Interior should be far and away the main priority going into the draft, imo.

I wouldn't hate getting a guy like Orlando Brown later though. That combine will cause him to slide, but the "tape" is good.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. I still have some hope for Fisher. Interior should be far and away the main priority going into the draft, imo.

I wouldn't hate getting a guy like Orlando Brown later though. That combine will cause him to slide, but the "tape" is good.

Exactly.  Getting Brown, or even Jamarco Jones in the late 3rd or early 4th would be a good pickup.  This is Fisher's final year on his rookie deal, and Ogbuehi's as well, should the team not pick up his option.  From that point of view, Tackle is still a fairly significant need, just not necessarily a 1sr-2nd round type of need.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I agree with this. We have a ton of tackles on this team, and Fisher has the advantage over a rookie. I'd much rather get a center early than a tackle.

Ideally, we get the best center in the draft in round one, then just go BPA the rest of the draft--and we still end up taking a tackle (probably in the 3rd round) because the value will be there. This would allow for the most balanced draft.

But if someone drops to us at 21, like McGlinchey or Davenport or Payne, maybe we can't pass them up, and we go Center in round 2. That would be a pretty epic draft to get a top center in the 2nd and one of these three in the 1st.

But if we go center round 1, there's a lot of players that could drop to us in the second round potentially, and it would be nice to be able to draft BPA in that round. Dream scenario for me would be Ragnow, then Goedert. Or Ragnow, then Hernandez. We'll see. Probably don't get that lucky, but we should make out pretty well.
Reply/Quote
i agree 100%. pollack also may shape these guys up. Westerman and Redmond are two of my front runners to rise this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Everyone it the draft forum and in here are talking about how we must get a tackle early. I'm not sure there is a tackle in this draft that is a better prospect than Jake Fisher. Before going down with A-fib Jake was having a mediocre season at RT (55 of 83) but he was learning. One must also wonder did his heart condition affect his play. He did say he had to get treated for a "supersonic" heart rate in an early season workout.

I for one am willing to give Jake first crack at RT (who knows what Pollack can do for him Doug Free was garbage at RT before Pollack got a hold of him) and focus on the interior of our oline.

All true, definately have hope for Fisher still. He has atleast looked good in flashes unlike Og and that was with
the A-fib. Great point on what Pollack got out of Free who like you said was even worse than Fish before Pollack.

Makes me want Ragnow or Wynn even more at 21 with this thought Bfine. Cool
Reply/Quote
There's a difference between not forgetting
a player and just not depending on the player even though you wish them well. Fisher may still win the right tackle position and developing him there may help him better than moving him around so much but just think of how great of a super sub he would be. I count on him to compete, but even with the heart issue he hasn't earned the job so get a guy to compete and if Fish wins great.

This team values tackle over interior offensive line historically. This season there are A LOT of guys in that late 1st to high 3rd range per below. If you're looking for the best value per position you should get a top interior OL guy with your high 2nd and the tackle with the high 3rd. Something like Price and Brown or Richardson. That's nice to know when you're looking taking a defensive guy you've got in your top 10 at 21, and get Richardson 2 rds later rather than Miller.

Consider they have Crosby at guard too...
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/OT?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL
Reply/Quote
If he plays as well as i hope he does he becomes a top free agent. Which would make him hard to keep with Cordy getting paid big. I expect him to be the starting RT.

But i want to have have some serious quality backups. Ogbuehi i hope improves to be a decent backup. Rookie tackles havent really been stepping right in and kicking ass. So ideally we get to work with them before plugging in.

Right now are starting tackles have serious health question marks. Hasnt been able to stay healthy since having a kidney removed and coming off a major heart condition.

Im hoping for the best. But we better have a super solid backup plan.
Reply/Quote
I've got a lot more hope for him than Ced. He's put on weight and shown a mean streak when the rest of the o-line didn't. I hope he pans out.
Reply/Quote
Gee, wouldn't it be just swell if Andy had time to stand back, check his phone for texts, email his mother and drink a beer before throwing the ball to whoever's open ? I don't see this scenario playing out, but if it does the Cowpokes may just have buyers remorse by the time the season starts..  Heck, Ced might even click and turn into a serviceable starter although I'm not quite ready to anoint him as the next coming of Anthony.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I still have hope for Fisher. Good coaching is gonna make a difference.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 08:26 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I still have hope for Fisher. Good coaching is gonna make a difference.

Well, let's not forget how large athletes and heart problems get along.  Remember Korey Stringer?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Still have hope for Fischer

yet see nothing wrong with bringing some competition in and make every player earn their positions either.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I haven't given up on Fisher, but I'm not willing to bet the farm he works out either.
Reply/Quote
Heard he's training MMA with jay glazier. It turns everyone into an all star
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, let's not forget how large athletes and heart problems get along.  Remember Korey Stringer?

Stringer didn't have "heart problems", he died from heat stroke and the lightest he ever was in his pro career was 335. I see no similarity here. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I try to forget about Fisher n his right tackle play.
Reply/Quote
I haven't given up on Fisher yet but he's going into his 4th year and still hasn't proven he's is a quality stating tackle. Glenn is the only tackle under contract next year so we cant just assume Fisher will be ok, even if he has a good year another team could outbid us for him in free agency. I gave him a bit of a break because of the heart issue i'm not sure how much that effected his play during the year, which wasn't very good. I recall times he completely whiffed on blocks, I think Bodine and Ogbuehi's awfulness drew some of are attention away from Fisher's bad play. Also this whole Fisher struggles because the Bengals played him at a bunch of different position's a few years ago gets blown out of proportion. Just because they lined him up at Tight End to down block doesn't mean he was running post routes after practice and that took his focus away from playing tackle or that because he was a lead blocker at fullback a few times he was in the running back meetings. They tried him at center and guard a few times very early in camp a few years back not everyday . I think they moved him around because he wasn't good enough to get on to the field at tackle. I used to say to myself how bad is Fisher that he couldn't beat out Winston or Ced for RT that year? Hopefully Pollack's system can help him i'll be pulling for him.
Reply/Quote
I’ll say one thing, I’ve never seen a coach come in with this much hype. If he’s half of the savior that this board seems to think he is, we should have a top 5 line in a couple of years.
Reply/Quote