Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump's Call for 'Arms Race' Boggles Nuclear Experts
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet--already old news but important.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-tweets-apparent-call-more-us-nuclear-weapons-n699221

Donald Trump's zest for making offhand quips about his intentions on serious policy matters has launched the United States on a grand experiment: What happens when the world doesn't understand what the American president is trying to say?

In the hours after President-elect Trump tweeted about his desire to expand American nuclear weapons capability — seeming to upend decades of consensus that fewer nukes is better — experts puzzled about what he meant, his own aides seemed to walk his comment back, and Trump himself weighed in to suggest that the most extreme reading of his tweet was the right one.

Trump stunned nuclear experts Thursday by proclaiming in a tweet that "the United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes."

And on Friday, Trump himself weighed in again, saying in a statement to "Morning Joe" host Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC: "Let it be an arms race. We will outmatch them at every pass and outlast them all."

Trump's new press secretary, Sean Spicer, appeared to try to clarify Trump's "arms race" remarks on NBC's TODAY show Friday, saying the president-elect's statements are meant as a "warning" to other nations.

"There's not going to be [an arms race] because he's going to ensure that other countries get the message that he's not going to sit back and allow that," Spicer said. "And what's going to happen is they will come to their senses and we will all be just fine."

Later, on CNN, Spicer said Trump's words should be taken literally. But when asked about Trump's statement to Brzezinski, Spicer called it a private conversation with which he was unfamiliar.

That followed remarks by newly appointed counselor to the president-elect Kellyanne Conway, who told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Thursday that Trump's tweet was effectively about posturing.

"In the case of the nuclear comment, I discussed it with him directly and he is making the point this is about nuclear proliferation in the face of rogue nations and regimes that are stockpiling weapons," Conway said.

Acton called Trump's tweet unprecedented, not only for its content, but for the notion that a president-­elect would make a pronouncement about something so sensitive as nuclear weapons policy over a medium as casual as Twitter.

"Nuclear policy is not made on the hoof," he said. "Because of the extraordinary implications, it is always the result of serious interagency review and careful deliberations. Allies are consulted, presidential statements pored over, words checked and double checked, crafted and recrafted."

But Trump doesn't appear to do business that way.

"I have no doubt in my mind that Trump's Twitter feed is monitored extremely closely by foreign governments and that this will cause significant heartache," Acton said.
.................................................................................................................................
Seems that weekly Trump's messages have to be re-interpreted by Trump whisperers from his inner circle.

I am guessing Trump supporters will say his tweets are good--they keep the world guessing, lets them know the US is not kidding, etc. I think this will further destabilize the world and, if anything, force allies to rethink their alliances with the US and begin strengthening or developing alliances independent of US participation and influence.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Forgot to add the question of how nuclear proliferation would affect the likelihood of nuclear terrorism.

Bad enough that Pakistan has the bomb.

I don't worry much about rational actors like Russia or China starting a nuclear war. An arms race against them makes no sense. I am concerned what happens if five or six more unstable developing countries get the bomb and/or produce poor scientists who know how to make them and will do so for anyone, including non-state actors, for a few million dollars.

The existing system of US diplomacy and alliances went a long way towards controlling this threat. But I am concerned that Trump's unfiltered, unstrained Tweet policy will destroy that system, probably to the cheers of his supporters who see this as the US putting moochers in their place and backing weaker countries down.

Destroying the current Iran treaty also raises fears of blowback.
It looks like Trump's declaration is already gaining the desired result.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/world/europe/vladimir-putin-russia-press-conference.html?_r=0

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/311653-trump-shares-letter-from-putin-his-thoughts-are-so-correct

Quote:President-elect Donald Trump on Friday praised Vladimir Putin and shared a Christmas letter the Russian president sent him.

"A very nice letter from Vladimir Putin; his thoughts are so correct," Trump said in a statement. "I hope both sides are able to live up to these thoughts, and we do not have to travel an alternate path."

In the attached letter, Putin emphasized the importance of cooperation between the two countries.

"I hope that after you assume the position of the President of the United States of America we will be able – by acting in a constructive and pragmatic manner - to take real steps to restore the framework of bilateral cooperation in different areas as well as bring our level of collaboration on the international scene to a qualitatively new level," the Russian leader wrote.

The statement was issued while Trump was playing golf with Tiger Woods at the president-elect's course in West Palm Beach, Fla.

The statement comes amid a new controversy over Trump's nuclear plans and fears that it could spark a new arms race with Russia.

The president-elect tweeted on Thursday that he supported strengthening the U.S. nuclear arsenal. Those comments came on the same day that Putin made similar statements about his own country's arsenal.

The remarks alarmed arms-control advocates. And on Friday morning, Mika Brzezinski, the co-host of MSNBC's "Morning Joe" reported that Trump had suggested to her that he was open to engaging in a nuclear arms race with Russia.

Trump advisers on Friday sought to downplay the controversy.

Sean Spicer, Trump's incoming White House press secretary, insisted that Trump's tweet was actually intended to be a warning to other countries that he would not let U.S. security be threatened by an arms race.

“[T]here’s not going to be [an arms race] because he is going to ensure that other countries get the message he is not going to sit back and allow that,” Spicer said on NBC's "Today."

Trump's comments about Putin on Friday will also likely increase scrutiny of his stance toward Russia.

The U.S. intelligence community has publicly accused Russia of interfering in the presidential election. A secret CIA assessment reportedly concluded that the Kremlin interfered specifically to help Trump win. 

But both Trump and Putin have denied Russian involvement.

Trump has been dismissive of the intelligence assessments and has heaped praise on Putin. Trump's pick for secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, has also come under criticism for his Russian ties. Tillerson, the CEO of Exxon Mobil, has had business dealing with Russia and is said to be friendly with Putin.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I dont get the big deal. Trim wont make any more nukes, he doesn't know how to make anything in the U.S..
(12-23-2016, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It looks like Trump's declaration is already gaining the desired result.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/world/europe/vladimir-putin-russia-press-conference.html?_r=0

Desired by whom?  I"m not happy the dictatorial Putin is now bragging about expansion and consolidation of the Russian military.

Wondering what will happen to New Start now. Will that be abandoned for a new arms race?

When Reagan announced the Star Wars program back in '83, the Soviets broke off discussion of arms limitations and both
sides doubled their nuclear arsenal.
Dino thinks the OP is too obsessed with Trump.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-23-2016, 09:28 PM)Benton Wrote: I dont get the big deal. Trim wont make any more nukes, he doesn't know how to make anything in the U.S..

LOL, why wouldn't expanding our nuke capability create more jobs?
(12-23-2016, 09:50 PM)Dill Wrote: Desired by whom?  I"m not happy the dictatorial Putin is now bragging about expansion and consolidation of the Russian military.

Wondering what will happen to New Start now. Will that be abandoned for a new arms race?

When Reagan announced the Star Wars program back in '83, the Soviets broke off discussion of arms limitations and both
sides doubled their nuclear arsenal.

The arms race ended the cold war, helped to take down the Berlin Wall. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-23-2016, 10:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The arms race ended the cold war, helped to take down the Berlin Wall. 

Pretty sure Russia won the Cold War on November 8, 2016. 
Nothing to see here folks. Just attention garnering from the media by Trump. A weak attempt to channel Reagan's "Outlawed the Soviet Union" speech to puff himself up and distract people from the coming onslaught on federal regulations and middle class wealth and influence.

We will probably be seeing similar things from him once or twice a month.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-23-2016, 10:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The arms race ended the cold war, helped to take down the Berlin Wall. 

??? How do you figure?

So another arms race would be good?
(12-23-2016, 11:21 PM)Dill Wrote: ??? How do you figure?

So another arms race would be good?

There's this right wing belief that we forced the Russians to spend so much money trying to keep up with us they collapsed.

And it's all because of Ronald Reagan.

That's what they believe.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
http://newsthump.com/2016/12/23/childproof-lock-added-to-white-house-nuclear-launch-button/
(12-23-2016, 11:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: There's this right wing belief that we forced the Russians to spend so much money trying to keep up with us they collapsed.

Just because you say it in a mocking tone, does not make it untrue..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-23-2016, 11:08 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Nothing to see here folks. Just attention garnering from the media by Trump. A weak attempt to channel Reagan's "Outlawed the Soviet Union" speech to puff himself up and distract people from the coming onslaught on federal regulations and middle class wealth and influence.

We will probably be seeing similar things from him once or twice a month.

Maybe once or twice a day.
A few hours ago he tweeted--As to the U.N., things will be different after Jan. 20th.

Russia probably feels somewhat in control now.
But I wonder if Iran, North Korea and Pakistan know this is just a distraction?
(12-23-2016, 11:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: There's this right wing belief that we forced the Russians to spend so much money trying to keep up with us they collapsed.

Does anyone in Europe or Russia think that?

The international version of the fall blames the Afghanistan occupation plus inefficient grain distribution in the early 80s; then Glasnost; then
the revolutions in Romania, Czechoslovakia, and East Germany--the Warsaw pact perimeter--followed by a dozen republics from Lithuania to Tajikstan. Seems like Afghanistan and Glasnost are the most important causes, Glasnost opening the road to political organization and protest.
(12-23-2016, 11:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: http://newsthump.com/2016/12/23/childproof-lock-added-to-white-house-nuclear-launch-button/

LOL Suddenly, I feel safe. LMAO
(12-23-2016, 11:33 PM)Dill Wrote: Maybe once or twice a day.
A few hours ago he tweeted--As to the U.N., things will be different after Jan. 20th.

Russia probably feels somewhat in control now.
But I wonder if Iran, North Korea and Pakistan know this is just a distraction?

I think this all falls in line nice and neat with conservative ideology. Conservatives feel the POTUS position has too much power and that real decisions should be made by Congress. Many on the Right are not embarrassed at all that Trump acts like a buffoon. In a lot of ways, that resembles Reagan's presidency. Except that Reagan actually did have some talented and competent staff members.
Meh.... just a little dick-waving.

All the cool countries are doing it.
ThumbsUp