Poll: Doubling down on linebackers in rounds 1 & 2 - POLL
I would be totally disgusted by this strategy
Not feeling it but it would not totally disgust me
Could be worse, could be better so I have mixed feelings about it
Not excited but we could roll with it & give it a whirl
I would be totally excited about this strategy
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Doubling down on making a weakness into a strength - LB upgrade POLL
As of now, I want an Offensive Tackle in round 1 but I often entertain OUT of the Box ideas.

How would you feel if the Bengals doubled down on making a weakness into a strength. (assumes Devin White is not available at pick #11)

They take Devin Bush LB in round 1 and Mack Wilson LB in round 2.  (or Devin Bush round 1 and another Top 2nd round linebacker)

Starting in round 3 they can begin addressing O-line or DL or DT etc.

After round two the Bengals have BOTH Devin Bush & Mack Wilson (or other 2nd round LB) on their roster adding two speedy linebackers right off the bat.

How would you feel if this was their Strategy ?   To double down on linebackers early.

Take the POLL...     it will be up in a moment
Reply/Quote
I was in the middle on this poll. I'd like to see an OT in the 2nd, if we go LB in Rd1. While I think there are good OLmen on day 3, I think the goal is to get someone that can come in here and compete on day 1 of TC. I don't think you find that on day 3 of the draft. Besides I don't think Wilson will pan out.
Reply/Quote
I think LB in round 1, and OT in round 2. But if they took your strategy, I wouldn't be "disgusted".
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:46 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I think LB in round 1, and OT in round 2.  But if they took your strategy, I wouldn't be "disgusted".

It's really not my Strategy.

Just seeing how people might view an out of the box idea.
Reply/Quote
I’d be down. Our LBers are horrible. Worst position group by far.

Reply/Quote
Not in favor of taking two LBs with early picks. I would be fine with one early, and another in mid or even later rounds. The OL needs too much improvement, to just allow all of those talented 1st and 2nd round picks to go to other teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Targeting position groups is not strategy you have to target players. If one of the top pass rushers (Sweat or Oliver) are there at 11 you cant pass them up.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think Devin Bush is our pick at #11, unless Haskins falls and we have him as BPA at that spot. I'm going to be perked up in my seat if we're on the clock and Haskins is available. Should be a fun ten minutes.

We at least made some moves in free agency for the offensive line, which is why I don't think they go that direction at #11. We haven't done shit at linebacker except for letting Burfict's busted ass walk. We've actually managed to get worse at the position than we were last year. It needs addressed.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I would be good with it. We were so horrible last year at the LB position it doesn't just need a shot in the arm, it needs reconstructive surgery.

Reply/Quote
I would be down with it. We severely need OL and LB. I am just hoping we don't 1) reach trying to get a position player or 2) grab a media darling that doesn't fit nor address a need.
Reply/Quote
Funny I just saw this thread after playing around on a mock simulator, that saw Devin White go at #5. I got the consolation prize....I got Bush in round 1, McGary in round 2, and Mack Wilson in round 3. All in all, I'd be happy with that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:59 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I think Devin Bush is our pick at #11, unless Haskins falls and we have him as BPA at that spot. I'm going to be perked up in my seat if we're on the clock and Haskins is available. Should be a fun ten minutes.

We at least made some moves in free agency for the offensive line, which is why I don't think they go that direction at #11. We haven't done shit at linebacker except for letting Burfict's busted ass walk. We've actually managed to get worse at the position than we were last year. It needs addressed.

It is sounding like Haskins will be available. A lot of information floating around about he may slide out of the top 20. With good reason, as well. I don’t see hype with him. I’ve been watching his tape recently and it is very underwhelming.
Reply/Quote
This strategy wouldn’t be my first choice but I wouldn’t totally hate it. I would much rather have an offensive lineman early as well.
Reply/Quote
I went with it would be all the way bad. That would basically be writing off two guys on their rookie contracts who were 3rd round picks. Malik and Vigil.

I want to add 2 LBs in the draft. Just not back to back in 1 and 2.

Between the youth and a vet one year removed from leading the league in tackles i dont think we are in as bad a shape as most people are acting.
Reply/Quote
Before reading your post I voted I would be disgusted, but the thought of Mack Wilson and devin bush actually pleases me. So I would be down. If both players pan out our defense has already improved dramatically.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: As of now, I want an Offensive Tackle in round 1 but I often entertain OUT of the Box ideas.

How would you feel if the Bengals doubled down on making a weakness into a strength. (assumes Devin White is not available at pick #11)

They take Devin Bush LB in round 1 and Mack Wilson LB in round 2.  (or Devin Bush round 1 and another Top 2nd round linebacker)

Starting in round 3 they can begin addressing O-line or DL or DT etc.

After round two the Bengals have BOTH Devin Bush & Mack Wilson (or other 2nd round LB) on their roster adding two speedy linebackers right off the bat.

How would you feel if this was their Strategy ?   To double down on linebackers early.

Take the POLL...     it will be up in a moment
I believe we do grab 2 LBers this draft but not sure I want to do it 1 & 2   (last time we did that at a position well neither panned out) not saying that will be the case...  But you can always find value in the later rounds.   and rather hit the OL with the other high pick.

Plus it be hard to keep them both down the road if contracts are due at the same time.
Reply/Quote
nah I stay away from that approach.
everytime the Bengals doubled down its backfired.
Thurman Pollack
Oguebhi Fischer

the Bengals have too many needs on the horizan to be doubling down.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 02:07 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: Before reading your post I voted I would be disgusted, but the thought of Mack Wilson and devin bush actually pleases me. So I would be down. If both players pan out our defense has already improved dramatically.

At first glance it does seem like an odd idea but it can grow on some people (including myself) when they think about it.

They would BOTH have to pan out and really be speedier upgrades that actually transformed the linebacker unit to justify it.

If they actually turned a weak unit on the team into a strength of the team then it could be worth doing.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, I posted this exact same question in the Draft section of these boards. You can go look over there if you want a few more opinions.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Funny I just saw this thread after playing around on a mock simulator, that saw Devin White go at #5.  I got the consolation prize....I got Bush in round 1, McGary in round 2, and Mack Wilson in round 3.  All in all, I'd be happy with that.

If something like this happened I'd be smiling  :andy: LBer/OL/LBer

I know the whole best player thing but man would that be right up this teams needs alley.
Reply/Quote