Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Burrow #1 but...
(03-19-2020, 03:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I want a WR at #33. If AJ or Ross go down (or both) we’re suddenly very thin on weapons for our new QB.

What position isn't that true at?

If Jonah goes down we're looking thin on the O-line (and we're probably looking thin anyway), if Jessie Bates goes down we're looking thin in the secondary, if Pratt goes down have we even got a linebacker?

I'm not opposed to WR but the argument for WR is that after this season all we've got under contract after Tyler Boyd is a couple of UDFAs from last year with 12 career receptions between them. That's why you need to consider WR at 33 or 65.

And if you consider Tyler Boyd a slot receiver that's no outside receivers. Whilst this draft is deep with receivers an awful lot of those, like Boyd, are better playing from the slot than outside. If you want someone to replace AJ or John Ross that limits your choices significantly.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My guess is Linebacker. This is a deep WR class, linebacker not so much. And I still won't be surprised to see a WR show up before the draft. The only caveat to that is they may be tempted to grab Jefferson if he is there, since he and Burrow already have the timing and chemistry.

I think Jefferson will be gone, but as a slot WR, he isn't the best fit here....Although I do like the familiarity with Burrow.  My guess is Queen and Murray will be gone, but if either are there, it will be interesting to see where they are rated in relation to remaining WRs.  I am growing on the idea of sliding a bit in Rd 2 and gaining an additional 3rd rounder.   Hopefully, then they could get the LB, WR, and G in the first three rounds after Burrow.  And where they are drafting, all could be potential year 1 starters.  

I would love it if a guy like Queen fell to us in the 2nd, after trading back a few spots for an additional 3rd rounder.  Get Chase Claypool at the top of Rd 3, a safety like Duggar in Rd 3,  and then get the guard Damian Lewis (also out of LSU) in Rd 4.  Shit, I would die of happiness.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:42 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: And if you consider Tyler Boyd a slot receiver that's no outside receivers. Whilst this draft is deep with receivers an awful lot of those, like Boyd, are better playing from the slot than outside. If you want someone to replace AJ or John Ross that limits your choices significantly.

I don't know about that.

I think you could get an AJ replacement in one of these rounds:
Round 2:
Denzel Mims
Tee Higgins
Laviska Shenault (although, admittedly, he's more of a "weapon" than a receiver at this point, and is injury prone)

Round 3 (or later, due to the saturation of WRs in this class):
Michael Pittman Jr.
Chase Claypool
Donovan Peoples-Jones

And then if you want to replace Ross, you have these options:
Round 2:
Jalen Reagor
Brandon Aiyuk

Round 3 (or later, due to the saturation of WRs in this class):
Devin Duvernay
Quintez Cephus
Tyler Johnson (Maybe? He was a slot for a good portion of his career, but has outside WR length and catch radius).

There are so many talented WRs in this class, we can replace any player in the 2nd or 3rd round with a quality prospect.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Only if Murray or Queen is there.

The other linebackers would be pretty massive reaches at 33.

read a few draft projections Baun is in top 30s in most.. one has him possible LB to Ravens in 1st round.. he would not be a reach at 33 from draft experts.. as for me  I love Wisconsin LBers.. his motor does not stop.. I hope we draft him actually
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: read a few draft projections Baun is in top 30s in most.. one has him possible LB to Ravens in 1st round.. he would not be a reach at 33 from draft experts.. as for me  I love Wisconsin LBers.. his motor does not stop.. I hope we draft him actually

I've seen a lot of projections calling Baun a pass rusher first, LB second. I figured that he'd be a better fit as a 3-4 LB than a 4-3 LB, a la Carl Lawson.

But if they think he can be a 4-3 OLB, then I'm game!
Reply/Quote
WR Aiyuk if he is there in round 2. Guy plays just like Deebo from the 49ers. The TE from Notre Dame would be option number 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:21 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: WR Aiyuk if he is there in round 2.  Guy plays just like Deebo from the 49ers.   The TE from Notre Dame would be option number 2.

I didn't think there are any TE's with a second round grade.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I've seen a lot of projections calling Baun a pass rusher first, LB second. I figured that he'd be a better fit as a 3-4 LB than a 4-3 LB, a la Carl Lawson.

But if they think he can be a 4-3 OLB, then I'm game!

Baun is not a good fit in our defense. He’s definitely an outside guy pass rush ability. Queen , William Gay , Murray are guys we should target.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Baun is not a good fit in our defense.   He’s definitely an outside guy pass rush ability.   Queen , William Gay , Murray are guys we should target.

I disagree.. he can play inside or outside... He is also the motor i want to see at Lb.. now im not saying take him only but I for sure is a Lb we can take at 33
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:17 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Good point. It's not lke we don't have alot of different needs. BPA would help no matter what. McKinney, Delpit, Baun, Queen, Murray, Gladney. Moto Gross. We could go in alot of different directions. I know we could trade back and maybe get an extra 3rd rounder, but I'd prefer not to. 

Why not? They need a lot of better, young players and upgrades at most position groups. This draft is a really good one, deep for several position groups.
Would it really kill them to drop down 10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd to grab another player?

The analysts always say there's only several players who go in the 1st round with "1st round grades" anyway each year.

I'd like for them to trade down in round 2 and 4 each new day if possible.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:48 AM)McC Wrote: I think the board will do the talking after the first round.  That first pick in the second round is gold.  Guys with first round grades falling, other teams calling you with trades.  It feels like a huge opportunity.

Probably only two positions off the table--DT and QB.  The war room will feel like kids in a candy store.

Every second round pick from 2.1 - 2.10 would be gold, then.  Based on 1st round grades falling.  

The bengals havent really capitalized on that have they?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:41 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: ...who do the Bengals draft on day two and three?

I know the Bengals have AJ Green, Boyd and company but would you be terribly upset if the Bengals draft Jefferson out of LSU for familiarity to go with Burrow?

Will Jefferson be available at number 33?

I like Jefferson as well as Shenault and Mims at 33 if we go WR...

Then get a LB and a Guard in the next two rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Jefferson as well as Shenault and Mims at 33 if we go WR...

Then get a LB and a Guard in the next two rounds.

I believe we had the worse rated LB in the League.. and we have had no additions... and it is not a very deep position like WR.. if top 4 LB is still there at 33.. i hope we take them...
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:40 PM)2020Bengal Wrote: Every second round pick from 2.1 - 2.10 would be gold, then.  Based on 1st round grades falling.  

The bengals havent really capitalized on that have they?
As far as I know, the draft hasn't happened yet.  I know I slept a little longer than usual last night but it's not the end of April yet.  And if you're talking about the past, it was seventeen years ago the last time they had the first pick.   I don't know about you, but I see the past couple days as a big sign of departure from the ways of the past.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I believe we had the worse rated LB in the League.. and we have had no additions... and it is not a very deep position like WR.. if top 4 LB is still there at 33.. i hope we take them...

If one of the top LB's are there at 33 are there, I'd say it would be a done deal.  I do not see a reach for a LB at that spot though. 

Now, with the number of LB needy teams who signed them in FA, one might think the chances of one of the top guys being there would go up.

Either way, get a really good player at 33 and you make the team better.  And if you don't get one at 33, it doesn't mean you can't get one in the third or even fourth.  

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 09:29 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Jefferson had a great combine where he put up a 40 time lower than anyone expected. He is currently being projected in the top 20 in many mock drafts.

However, the issue with Jefferson is that he played almost exclusively out of the slot in college and people have doubts about whether or not he can handle press coverage on the outside in the NFL.

For that reason, he has been labeled (in my opinion, prematurely) a slot only WR.

So maybe teams hold off on drafting him until the 2nd round so that they can draft the more versatile players like Tee Higgins, Laviska Shenault and Denzel Mims, all of whom project to outside receivers.

With that said, I am not sure if we want to draft Jefferson for that same exact reason. We already have a slot receiver signed to a long term contract in Tyler Boyd.

Drafting Jefferson does not replace either Green or Ross, both of whom are free agents next off season.

I would prefer, if we were to take a WR at 33, it be either Mims or Higgins, Aiyuk or Reagor. The former two would be AJ Green (X receiver) replacements and Reagor or Aiiyuk would be a nice Ross (Z receiver) replacement.

Jefferson-----6'3", 192 lbs, ran a 4.4 40 at the combine, caught 111 receptions for 1,540 yds and 18 TDs for a 13.9 average from the guy you just took at #1 pick.

Really? I think I'd take my chances with him over the others....
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I believe we had the worse rated LB in the League.. and we have had no additions... and it is not a very deep position like WR.. if top 4 LB is still there at 33.. i hope we take them...

Agreed, I am hoping Murray falls out of the first somehow to us but find it unlikely. I like Baun as well.

Would like Brooks, Gaither, Dye in the 3rd if we go WR at 33.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:55 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Jefferson-----6'3", 192 lbs, ran a 4.4 40 at the combine, caught 111 receptions for 1,540 yds and 18 TDs for a 13.9 average from the guy you just took at #1 pick.

Pretty reductive take on scouting, but yea. That's one way of looking at it.

In the third, do you take Saahdiq Charles over Ezra Cleveland or Isaiah Wilson as well?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Pretty reductive take on scouting, but yea. That's one way of looking at it.

In the third, do you take Saahdiq Charles over Ezra Cleveland or Isaiah Wilson as well?

The numbers are the numbers, and there's already 111 balls caught from Burrow. So, obviously they like each other. Lol

If Malik Harrison is still there in Round 3, I'd prefer the LB there after watching him run a faster time at the combine than expected.
He was also a WR at one point and did you see him get up for the INT in the Senior Bowl?

I do like those other choices there as well. You can't go wrong with a Georgia G like Wilson; and, Ezra having a great combine and tape to back it up may be a choice. Not a big fan of Charles as much. But, if all 3 are there along with Harrison, not a bad smorgasbord to choose from for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:55 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Jefferson-----6'3", 192 lbs, ran a 4.4 40 at the combine, caught 111 receptions for 1,540 yds and 18 TDs for a 13.9 average from the guy you just took at #1 pick.

109 of the 111 are from the slot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote