Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Burrow #1 but...
See what they get for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:10 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The numbers are the numbers, and there's already 111 balls caught from Burrow. So, obviously they like each other. Lol

If Malik Harrison is still there in Round 3, I'd prefer the LB there after watching him run a faster time at the combine than expected.
He was also a WR at one point and did you see him get up for the INT in the Senior Bowl?

I do like those other choices there as well. You can't go wrong with a Georgia G like Wilson; and, Ezra having a great combine and tape to back it up may be a choice. Not a big fan of Charles as much. But, if all 3 are there along with Harrison, not a bad smorgasbord to choose from for sure.

There's no doubt that they like each other. I'm just saying we already have a Jefferson on our roster and he's the only WR that's signed long term.

If the coaches look at Jefferson and decide that he can handle the outside, then I am all for taking him at 33. But if they pass on him for a Mims or Higgins, that would just tell me that they evaluated him and decided he's a slot only WR.

No matter who we pick, I'll be happy because that means he has the coaches' stamp of approval. 

The idea of having Burrow throw to Jefferson in the pros is a very attractive one. It's just a positional fit that I'm worried about.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:20 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's no doubt that they like each other. I'm just saying we already have a Jefferson on our roster and he's the only WR that's signed long term.

If the coaches look at Jefferson and decide that he can handle the outside, then I am all for taking him at 33. But if they pass on him for a Mims or Higgins, that would just tell me that they evaluated him and decided he's a slot only WR.

No matter who we pick, I'll be happy because that means he has the coaches' stamp of approval. 

The idea of having Burrow throw to Jefferson in the pros is a very attractive one. It's just a positional fit that I'm worried about.

Understandably so especially as Synric shown that 109 of those 111 catches were from the Slot.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:15 PM)Synric Wrote: 109 of the 111 are from the slot.

Where is your evidence of that? I saw him catch one of his TD's against Oklahoma from the Z position. Either way, the route tree for their 4-5 WR's was extensive, based off of NO Saints offense.
Whether he started from 2 of the inside positions or not, he ran every route tree in the book.
And, there's no problem for Boyd to move outside. He had to do most of that this year and still had 1,000 yds.
I'd be pretty happy if you had a lineup of:

Ross/Tate/Boyd      Jefferson/Boyd/Ross        Boyd/Jefferson/Ross     AJ Green

You could move these guys all over the place as well. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:27 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Where is your evidence of that? I saw him catch one of his TD's against Oklahoma from the Z position. Either way, the route tree for their 4-5 WR's was extensive, based off of NO Saints offense.
Whether he started from 2 of the inside positions or not, he ran every route tree in the book.
And, there's no problem for Boyd to move outside. He had to do most of that this year and still had 1,000 yds.
I'd be pretty happy if you had a lineup of:

Ross/Tate/Boyd      Jefferson/Boyd/Ross        Boyd/Jefferson/Ross     AJ Green

You could move these guys all over the place as well. 

It's a PFF stat.

https://www.dynastynerds.com/draft-profile-justin-jefferson/

In 2018 he played in the outside and struggled. Jefferson did most of his damage in 2019 on crossing routes from the slot against zone coverage.

Edit: Oh yea...hes 6'1 not 6'3
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:34 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a PFF stat.

https://www.dynastynerds.com/draft-profile-justin-jefferson/

In 2018 he played in the outside and struggled. Jefferson did most of his damage in 2019 on crossing routes from the slot against zone coverage.

Nice page. The guy said he didn't see any evidence that he struggled against man to man coverage. Again, either way, he ranked him as his 3rd best receiver behind Lamb and Jeudy!!! Lol

I'll stick with him being the WR pick b/c of his and Burrow's familiarity with each other.

Would you be complaining if he caught 80 balls for 1000 yds and 8 TD's from the slot? Who cares?!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:40 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Nice page. The guy said he didn't see any evidence that he struggled against man to man coverage. Again, either way, he ranked him as his 3rd best receiver behind Lamb and Jeudy!!! Lol

I'll stick with him being the WR pick b/c of his and Burrow's familiarity with each other.

Would you be complaining if he caught 80 balls for 1000 yds and 8 TD's from the slot? Who cares?!

I would if it meant forcing Boyd to the outside (or even worse, to the bench) and he had his worst NFL season since his first 2 years in the league (when they were trying him outside).
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:36 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Why not? They need a lot of better, young players and upgrades at most position groups. This draft is a really good one, deep for several position groups.
Would it really kill them to drop down 10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd to grab another player?

The analysts always say there's only several players who go in the 1st round with "1st round grades" anyway each year.

I'd like for them to trade down in round 2 and 4 each new day if possible.

It depends on who is there at 33, of course, but I guess I wouldn't totally reject the idea of garnering more picks on day 2. I just expect a very high impact player to be there at 33. It also depends on what team offers the trade. Someone like the Lions would be better to trade with than the 49ers because they'd be earlier picks. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Understandably so especially as Synric shown that 109 of those 111 catches were from the Slot.

Jefferson still caught 58 more balls for 800 yds in 2018 as an outside WR. He still led the team in catches in 2018.

And, the Bengals ran more 11 personnel than any other team in the NFL last year at an 80% clip. So, he'd be on the field for most of the offensive snaps regardless.

Even if he's not on the field for 12 personnel, how often do the 2 WRs on the field end up catching the ball in those instances anyway? Someone go get the nextgen PFF stats for that one now. LoL
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 03:04 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Jefferson still caught 58 more balls for 800 yds in 2018 as an outside WR. He still led the team in catches in 2018.

And, the Bengals ran more 11 personnel than any other team in the NFL last year at an 80% clip. So, he'd be on the field for most of the offensive snaps regardless.

Even if he's not on the field for 12 personnel, how often do the 2 WRs on the field end up catching the ball in those instances anyway? Someone go get the nextgen PFF stats for that one now. LoL

Yeah, still wouldn't be against drafting Jefferson I just understand CJD's thoughts on why he would want a pure outside WR 
instead of a Slot guy since we have our Slot guy in Boyd. Boyd is not near as good on the outside as he is in the Slot so it 
would make sense to draft AJ Green's future replacement rather than Boyd's as Boyd is on a longer contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, still wouldn't be against drafting Jefferson I just understand CJD's thoughts on why he would want a pure outside WR 
instead of a Slot guy since we have our Slot guy in Boyd. Boyd is not near as good on the outside as he is in the Slot so it 
would make sense to draft AJ Green's future replacement rather than Boyd's as Boyd is on a longer contract.

CJD and you make good points. Ross and AJ may be on their way out after this year.

And, Boyd, Tate and Jefferson on the outsides aren't as appealing if that's the case next year. Maybe they draft 2 WR's in this draft??? LoL

I guess we can't forget about Stanley Morgan taking a next step as well....

Ultimately, I think we're debating over something that won't even be available. I envision Jefferson being gone at that point anyway. But, maybe a player like Higgins or Shenault may fall there to them.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:00 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: CJD and you make good points. Ross and AJ may be on their way out after this year.

And, Boyd, Tate and Jefferson on the outsides aren't as appealing if that's the case next year. Maybe they draft 2 WR's in this draft??? LoL

I guess we can't forget about Stanley Morgan taking a next step as well....

Ultimately, I think we're debating over something that won't even be available. I envision Jefferson being gone at that point anyway. But, maybe a player like Higgins or Shenault may fall there to them.

Also really like Mims at 33. So many great WR's in this draft, I also really like Aiyuk, Pittman, Claypool.

Just so many good ones we can pick up and some of these guys will fall simply cause of the depth in this Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:17 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Good point. It's not lke we don't have alot of different needs. BPA would help no matter what. McKinney, Delpit, Baun, Queen, Murray, Gladney. Moto Gross. We could go in alot of different directions. I know we could trade back and maybe get an extra 3rd rounder, but I'd prefer not to. 

Number 33--- Patrick Queen all day or Jefferson the wide receiver all day,if either one is there run to the podium  :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp Lets go who-dey for sure I am excited the way free agency is turning out,man they are wasteing no time and up grading our D BIG TIME.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:40 PM)2020Bengal Wrote: Every second round pick from 2.1 - 2.10 would be gold, then.  Based on 1st round grades falling.  

The bengals havent really capitalized on that have they?

Andy Dalton was a top 10 pick in the second round.

Other second round picks in the last decade include Carlos Dunlap, Joe Mixon, tyler Boyd, Jessie Bates, and Giovanni Bernard.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't know about that.

I think you could get an AJ replacement in one of these rounds:
Round 2:
Denzel Mims
Tee Higgins
Laviska Shenault (although, admittedly, he's more of a "weapon" than a receiver at this point, and is injury prone)

Round 3 (or later, due to the saturation of WRs in this class):
Michael Pittman Jr.
Chase Claypool
Donovan Peoples-Jones

And then if you want to replace Ross, you have these options:
Round 2:
Jalen Reagor
Brandon Aiyuk

Round 3 (or later, due to the saturation of WRs in this class):
Devin Duvernay
Quintez Cephus
Tyler Johnson (Maybe? He was a slot for a good portion of his career, but has outside WR length and catch radius).

There are so many talented WRs in this class, we can replace any player in the 2nd or 3rd round with a quality prospect.

Every mock I've done in recent weeks has all of Mims, Higgins and Shenault gone in the first round.

My understanding was that whilst Claypool tested well he has hardly been used outside the slot, that People-Jones maybe profiles better as a slot and Pittman may be a big slot too.

Ross should however be easier to replace.
Reply/Quote
Reagor screams bust all day long. Pass
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:04 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Number 33--- Patrick Queen all day or Jefferson the wide receiver all day,if either one is there run to the podium  :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp Lets go who-dey for sure I am excited the way free agency is turning out,man they are wasteing no time and up grading our D BIG TIME.

It would be funny if they had (3 or 4) LSU Tigers staring at them at #33 and how they'd have all 3 graded out???

Theoretically, it could happen that:

LB Queen
WR Jefferson
S Delpit
CB Fulton

Could be sitting there.

How do you grade these players out on your white boards?

Queen/Jefferson---many drafts have them both going in the 20's range
Fulton is taken in a lot of mock drafts in the 1st round
Delpit used to be there; but, I don't know why he's dropped recently besides his health history?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:28 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: It would be funny if they had (3 or 4) LSU Tigers staring at them at #33 and how they'd have all 3 graded out???

Theoretically, it could happen that:

LB Queen
WR Jefferson
S Delpit
CB Fulton

Could be sitting there.

How do you grade these players out on your white boards?

Queen/Jefferson---many drafts have them both going in the 20's range
Fulton is taken in a lot of mock drafts in the 1st round
Delpit used to be there; but, I don't know why he's dropped recently besides his health history?

Of those Tigers I like Delpit and Jefferson the best. Delpit was banged up early last year and this was the main reason he wasn't
tackling all that great and this is the reason he has dropped. I hope they keep saying he cannot tackle and he drops to us cause 
he is a good tackler when healthy and the best cover Safety in this Draft.

Queen's lack of production scares me as does his lack of wrapping up when tackling at times.

Fulton is out of the picture after all these CB moves.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:15 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Every mock I've done in recent weeks has all of Mims, Higgins and Shenault gone in the first round.

My understanding was that whilst Claypool tested well he has hardly been used outside the slot, that People-Jones maybe profiles better as a slot and Pittman may be a big slot too.

Ross should however be easier to replace.

I'm by no means an expert on what receivers can play what roles. I just read the scouting reports and the lists I gave are what I've seen in scouting reports regarding their positional projections at the next level Tongue.

I'd be surprised if Mims, Higgins and Shenault were all gone by 33. I'd be awfully upset if they were haha. They're kind of my go to picks at 33 at this point XD.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of those Tigers I like Delpit and Jefferson the best. Delpit was banged up early last year and this was the main reason he wasn't
tackling all that great and this is the reason he has dropped. I hope they keep saying he cannot tackle and he drops to us cause 
he is a good tackler when healthy and the best cover Safety in this Draft.

Queen's lack of production scares me as does his lack of wrapping up when tackling at times.

Fulton is out of the picture after all these CB moves.

I agree with you on Delpit, he played hurt last year and it probably did affect his tackling.

IDK about Fulton though b/c if they cut Dre and do they re-sign MJIII or give him the Franchise designation?
Mackensie is for only 1 year as well even though he's more of a slot guy.
You can never have enough DB's or WR's right? Lol
Reply/Quote