Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Picks that had potential that never panned out
(06-03-2019, 10:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How about Pro Bowl return man Tremain Mack? He only had one good season, IIRC.

Didn't he have some type of off-the-field issues?
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 11:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Didn't he have some type of off-the-field issues?

I think so? It was 20 years ago, but I think I remember him having some troubles.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:54 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Lamont Thompson was a weird one. Dude was cut after one season for no apparent reason. 

First off , damn we have so many draft bust. I remember Lamont Thompson I watched him on college and thought he would be a superstar. Dennis Weathersby too. Both were tall n athletic n blossomed as freshman in college. Only to decline
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 12:06 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: First off , damn we have so many draft bust. 

No more than any other team.

But we do probably have more fans who obsess over negativity and start threads like this.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 09:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No more than any other team.

I need to add.  .  .  

"At least other than in the 90's when we could not do anything right."
Reply/Quote
Stanley Wilson deserves mention. Extremely sad how he threw his career away. The night before the Super Bowl nonetheless.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You almost need to separate the injured picks from the outright busts.

What the odd thing about Lamont Thompson was - the Bengals NEVER give up on high picks early, they always ride them out.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 10:59 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: You almost need to separate the injured picks from the outright busts.

What the odd thing about Lamont Thompson was - the Bengals NEVER give up on high picks early, they always ride them out.

Marvin hated him for some reason. Thompson wound up being decent for the Titans.

He was a starter there for 3 seasons, posting 236 tackles and 8 INT's. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 09:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No more than any other team.

But we do probably have more fans who obsess over negativity and start threads like this.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this post. I didn't see it. I've been spending a lot of time in the thread I started called 'Bengals Top 3 Drafts of All-Time.'
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna go a little more current.

Josh Shaw

Thought he was a steal because of his lie in college caused him to drop some.

Started strong here and fizzled out.

Not a high draft pick but flashed some promise here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
One of the biggest potential guys that I remember who never panned out was Bernard Scott. Every other week that guy would be about to bust out, then, a setback would occur. Never got to see the spectacular kid from Abeline Christian do much lol.
Reply/Quote
Oh whoops, I didn't read the rules very well. I take back my original answer! Big Grin

based on the OPs rules.... Tyler Eifert may be near the top of the list!
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 11:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Didn't he have some type of off-the-field issues?

Drunk driving (A year in prison), growing up dirt poor,etc..
Interesting article on Mack these days..well, 3 years ago anyway.. Coaching HS football.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/high-school/article103623367.html
Apparently moving out west had a good influence on him.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 09:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: One of the biggest potential guys that I remember who never panned out was Bernard Scott. Every other week that guy would be about to bust out, then, a setback would occur. Never got to see the spectacular kid from Abeline Christian do much lol.

Scott was a D2 guy for Abilene Christian. I don't know that we can consider him as not panning out.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 09:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Oh whoops, I didn't read the rules very well. I take back my original answer! Big Grin

based on the OPs rules.... Tyler Eifert may be near the top of the list!

GREAT answer! When you hear about Eifert, people talk about a Top 10 TE...but look at his numbers! He's rarely healthy.
Reply/Quote
Is it too soon to add Jonah Williams to the list? Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can’t help but wonder how good Tyler Eifert’s career could be if he could only stay healthy. Seems like every time he’s on the field he’s scoring TD’s and making game changing type plays.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 08:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Scott was a D2 guy for Abilene Christian. I don't know that we can consider him as not panning out.

I think he showed a lot of promise though... It never came together.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 02:41 PM)jason Wrote: I think he showed  a lot of promise though... It never came together.

He was too small to be an every down back. He basically only had 3 healthy years.

I guess he did underperform looking back on his career and stats.
Reply/Quote
Reinard Wilson. I think the team screwed him by moving him to LB, should have stayed at DE but he was “too short”. Thought he’d be a double digit sacks a year guy.
Reply/Quote