Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft rumors.
(04-22-2017, 10:26 PM)O Crazyjdawg Wrote: They are pretty good at drafting on the Oline, but their starting WRs (Hogan, Amendola, Cooks), RBs (Lewis, Burkhead, Blount), DBs (Chung, Gilmore, Coleman), LBs(Ninkovich, McClellin, Van Noy) and DL( Ealy, Branch) are heavily imported from other teams. And, obviously, many of their high profile players from past teams, such as Welker, were imports as well.

They are built via free agency, trades and Tom Brady.

That's not a bad thing, but they're actually pretty mediocre in the draft.

Since 2000 the patriots have drafted the most amount of pro bowls, 63, out of any team in NFL.   Take away Tom Brady's 17 and they are still better than the bengals total of 43.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/23/14999704/new-england-patriots-nfl-draft-pro-bowl-all-pro-2000-bill-belichick-tom-brady-cowboys-49ers

The patriots do miss a lot, but they accumulate as many picks as possible (second most in that same timeframe) to increase the chance on hitting on a player/talent.

More picks = more busts, but it also = higher chance at finding more talent.  This is not unique to any team, or any sport for that matter. Something I didn't think about is their average draft position is probably the lowest of NFL team.  So now they have drafted the most pro bowls, with the smallest talent pool available on average.  Not that pro bowls and all pros are the end all be all by any stretch of the imagination, but what they have done is really incredible.

Edit* Forgot to mention they have also done his while being docked a few first round picks for the alleged cheating.  Whatever your opinion is on the cheating is fine, and penalty may or may not fit the crime to everyone.  But now they have also drafted the most pro bowls with the smallest amount of impact (1st round picks) ammunition. 

What the patiots are doing works in almost every aspect of how the organization is run. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Has anybody heard anything recently from Dave Lapham. Pretty sure he gets to see the Bengals board and usually starts leaking out a few names that the Bengals will target. Haven't seen much lately on here saying who he has specifically mentioned this year?
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 11:34 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Has anybody heard anything recently from Dave Lapham. Pretty sure he gets to see the Bengals board and usually starts leaking out a few names that the Bengals will target. Haven't seen much lately on here saying who he has specifically mentioned this year?

The only thing I recall seeing was Lapham mentioning on a podcast that the Bengals could take multiple receivers in this draft.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/2/15137820/dave-lapham-bengals-double-down-wide-receiver
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 12:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only thing I recall seeing was Lapham mentioning on a podcast that the Bengals could take multiple receivers in this draft.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/2/15137820/dave-lapham-bengals-double-down-wide-receiver

Seems like there is usually more out there from him at this point. I am always interested in what he has to say because he usually nails the pick and gives the fans a good idea of who to expect or what position to expect. Last year he said Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Eli Apple, and William Jackson would be the 5 they were likely to target. 4 of those guys were gone and 1 was still on the board and drafted. It also was easy to then predict that after getting the CB they would go WR with who he had mentioned and obviously Boyd became the selection. I remember when it seemed like Tight End wasn't going to be an option when we drafted Eifert but Lapham said his name multiple times leading up to the draft. He nailed Ogbuehi and Fisher as targets for the first round a couple years ago and we landed both.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Peppers fails the combine drug test with a diluted sample.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 11:34 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Has anybody heard anything recently from Dave Lapham. Pretty sure he gets to see the Bengals board and usually starts leaking out a few names that the Bengals will target. Haven't seen much lately on here saying who he has specifically mentioned this year?

(04-24-2017, 12:24 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Seems like there is usually more out there from him at this point. I am always interested in what he has to say because he usually nails the pick and gives the fans a good idea of who to expect or what position to expect. Last year he said Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Eli Apple, and William Jackson would be the 5 they were likely to target. 4 of those guys were gone and 1 was still on the board and drafted. It also was easy to then predict that after getting the CB they would go WR with who he had mentioned and obviously Boyd became the selection. I remember when it seemed like Tight End wasn't going to be an option when we drafted Eifert but Lapham said his name multiple times leading up to the draft. He nailed Ogbuehi and Fisher as targets for the first round a couple years ago and we landed both.

Wait till later this week. It's usually around this time that Lap and Hoard are allowed in the war room to see what the Bengals are thinking. Lap didn't mention the possibility of Ogbuehi until draft day itself in 2015.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 12:24 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Seems like there is usually more out there from him at this point. I am always interested in what he has to say because he usually nails the pick and gives the fans a good idea of who to expect or what position to expect. Last year he said Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Eli Apple, and William Jackson would be the 5 they were likely to target. 4 of those guys were gone and 1 was still on the board and drafted. It also was easy to then predict that after getting the CB they would go WR with who he had mentioned and obviously Boyd became the selection. I remember when it seemed like Tight End wasn't going to be an option when we drafted Eifert but Lapham said his name multiple times leading up to the draft. He nailed Ogbuehi and Fisher as targets for the first round a couple years ago and we landed both.

Agreed, I always look forward to Lap on the radio shows and such. I asked Lance McCallister on twitter (twice) if he was planning on having Lapham on the show anytime soon. No response. Lapham is usually around more this time of year.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 12:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only thing I recall seeing was Lapham mentioning on a podcast that the Bengals could take multiple receivers in this draft.

Every time I've heard him asked about this year's draft (maybe 2 or 3 times on 1530 in the afternoon), he mentions receiver as a likely option.  Hobson, however has kind of dismissed it out of hand, and absolutely dismissed the possibility of drafting a smaller receiver like Ross in 1.  

I really feel like they'll take a pass catcher in 1 unless Thomas or Fournette make it to them.  Howard qualifies for this, too.  

Although Boyd looks to be a fine player and LaFell has exceeded expectations, this team still has yet to replace Marvin Jones.  Nobody on the roster now does what he did.  The need remains the same as it was at this time last year. 

I personally think Hobson is full of shit.  It think Ross is very likely.
Reply/Quote

Basically an unnamed (as of now) prospect got accused of sexual assault on a visit. He is apparently a top prospect, so this could have ripple effects.
Reply/Quote
The draft gamesmanship is brutal.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 11:57 AM)WrongVerb Wrote: The draft gamesmanship is brutal.

Well the police are investigating it, so I don't think it is fake news. It could be a girl trying to be an opportunist, but I highly doubt it's coming from a Cleveland. Everything I have seen is it came from a leak inside Cleveland PD.

The rumor now is it is Malik Hooker. Not sure it is true, but that is the rumor.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote:
Basically an unnamed (as of now) prospect got accused of sexual assault on a visit. He is apparently a top prospect, so this could have ripple effects.

Teams will definitely know the subject involved, guess it will be up to us to watch who slides  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well the police are investigating it, so I don't think it is fake news. It could be a girl trying to be an opportunist, but I highly doubt it's coming from a Cleveland. Everything I have seen is it came from a leak inside Cleveland PD.

The rumor now is it is Malik Hooker. Not sure it is true, but that is the rumor.

Hooker did have a private workout with the Browns, so that checks out.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well the police are investigating it, so I don't think it is fake news. It could be a girl trying to be an opportunist, but I highly doubt it's coming from a Cleveland. Everything I have seen is it came from a leak inside Cleveland PD.

Was Malik just trying to get his freak on? With a hooker, by chance? This could get fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
If it is Hooker or any potential top 15 pick it can change the whole draft. There is a possible domino effect here for sure.
Reply/Quote
I just read something that said Conley could be the player in trouble in Cleveland.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Lapham is supposed to be on Lance's show on Wednesday according to a tweet he sent yesterday
Such is life as a Bengals fan...
Reply/Quote
Yep, sounds like it's Conley per TMZ
Such is life as a Bengals fan...
Reply/Quote

It's Gareon Conley.
Reply/Quote
I hope I'm wrong but I really think we are going to pick Ross. Not sure if we trade back first. I would hate a Ross pick, if we trade back first it will ease the shock a little.
Reply/Quote