Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft rumors.
I will chime in with my concern with this pick. Injury concerns and size are a big deal for me here. At the combine, he ran the 4.22 which is amazing but then on the same stage he couldn't even do the drills after running once. It is a true gamble to take this kid at #9 at a position that isn't high need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 07:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Don't be shocked if they pick McCaffrey in round 1.  Not saying they will but don't be shocked.  I know Ross maybe the pick and I understand speed kills, but at 9th, should be sure thing.  An athlete who cannot stay on the field should weigh in on their decision.  The team doesn't need another Eifert; instead, they need someone reliable.  If the medicals check out on Ross, then I will understand the pick.  It would depend who they leave on the board at the time. 

Also, a lot of elite athletes have medical concerns this draft, so it isn't just Ross.   I feel the team needs to trade back and get more 2 & 3 rounders.

I would be shocked if the Bengals took him at 9 knowing that the Bengals had private workouts with Fournette, Cook, and Mixon, but not McCaffrey.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:14 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You act like all the good Defensive Lineman will be gone by our 41st pick...

The Draft has shown over and over this is not true and other than Allen and Thomas i don't see anyone there that we
HAVE to take. We need a RB too and if we are not sure on Cook or McCaffrey i don't see anything wrong with adding
the fastest, good route running, nice hands, gamebreaking freak Wideout in a long time...

Dalton needs help and it isn't coming at O-line in the first round.

John Ross ran that forty on those questionable knees for goodness sake.

Would be better for us all if AJM went to the Niners no question. Us and McCarron as he would have a decent O-line.

We keep waiting on later round dl guys who couldn't replace peko or fill in for mj. Will there be someone in the second or later who might contribute in a season? Probably, you never know. Is it as likely as someone at 9? Probably not.

We can get small fast receivers later in the draft. Or just play some of the guys we've been drafting and sitting. It's like our corner situation. Some guys want us to take another corner. Some pundits, too. I can't fathom that either. We've got high picks, play em.

I hope the fo spreads the love and gives the defense someone opposing coaches have to game plan around. Just hoping opposing quarterbacks get bored and throw a bad pass isn't a great approach.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:55 PM)Benton Wrote: That's a huge if. And at 9, I don't see the point in gambling.

And I'll be completely honest, a big part of me being surly about the likelihood of the pick is that we need to improve the dl. We're a couple years late there. This is the best position we've been in to do that in years. And rumors are we're taking a small speed receiver with questionable knees? Good grief.

honestly, it's the NFL draft every single player is an if/ gamble. someone with no injury history at all can walk in and tear an ACL or a guy who has never played a full season can have a completely healthy career. it's a shit show the "safest" pick can be a bust and a nobody can become a top 10 player
Reply/Quote
Since I didn't see much of him in college I just watched some film.

Smaller in stature but wins a lot of contested balls
Runs crisp routes
Takes the top off the defense
Makes Sh*t happen when it isn't there
Also a kick returner

I'm not sure what the bengals are going to do. I'm also not sure how his knees will hold up... If j knew these things i would be a millionaire! But what what I do know is this kid is talented beyond just his speed. He effect Ross would have on the bengals O is really unexplainable. Safety's would have to play a little deeper, opening up the running game. Coverage would have to be shifted his way so aj can't be double and triple teamed all game. Less safety help on the tight end meaning more looks for eifert or whoever is healthy.

Ross is not necessarily my ideal number one pick. But you are talking once in a lifetime speed on a kid who has football skills and wants to play for Marvin Lewis. The bengals could do a LOT worse. He reminds me a little of Steve smith with speed. Now he likely does t end up a top 15-20 WR all time but the potential is there.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:50 AM)Whatever Wrote: I would be shocked if the Bengals took him at 9 knowing that the Bengals had private workouts with Fournette, Cook, and Mixon, but not McCaffrey.  

That could very well just be due to the fact there were questions about those three and there is no question mark on McCaffrey...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 01:24 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: honestly, it's the NFL draft every single player is an if/ gamble. someone with no injury history at all can walk in and tear an ACL or a guy who has never played a full season can have a completely healthy career. it's a shit show the "safest" pick can be a bust and a nobody can become a top 10 player

Agreed. So gAmble at an area of need.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 10:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. So gAmble at an area of need.

Did you watch the same bengals I did last year?  Do you think offensive skill players/playmakers is not an area of need?  

I get the bengals had injuries, but The offense was atrocious when green went out leaving Lafell as our number one.  Dalton is not a qb that is going to make his players better.  However dalton will play up to the level of talent surrounding him.  Does that make sense?  

If the bengals have a better offense and stay on the field longer the defense will be more fresh.  I understand we NEED help in the front 7 on defense and they can address that later.  We also have billings coming back and minter so there is that. 

Howard is probably who I want in my dream scenario.  Dalton is lights out with a big body roaming the middle... Who can actually catch (uzomoah) and stay on the field (eifert).  But he will likely be gone.  The bengals already have a stud wr in green and complimentary possession recievers in Boyd and Lafell.  What the bengals are lacking is speed to be honest.  And Ross fits the bell.  Even if he only caught 50 balls but at a high yards per catch and produced 5-6 touchdowns the overall effect on offense would be noticeable.  Throw in a return td or two....

Fwiw- I'd also be happy with Foster, hooker, Adams, Allen, fournette, Thomas.  But I'm totally on board with Ross if that is their guy. 
Reply/Quote
I could see philly moving to 9 for mcaffrey if he's still there and we get Ross there. Assuming there's no one there we love more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
For those thinking Ross is a top 10 pick, the numbers for his career just don't pan out. He has averaged 3 receptions per game over his 4 year career. He had one breakout year. My fear is he is next Percy Harvin, good and fast receiver, but often injured.

Corey Davis may be the better option if we go receiver.

Me, I hope OJ Howard is sitting there at 9 or we trade back for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick that we can use to move up in later rounds.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: We keep waiting on later round dl guys who couldn't replace peko or fill in for mj. Will there be someone in the second or later who might contribute in a season? Probably, you never know. Is it as likely as someone at 9? Probably not.

We can get small fast receivers later in the draft. Or just play some of the guys we've been drafting and sitting. It's like our corner situation. Some guys want us to take another corner. Some pundits, too. I can't fathom that either. We've got high picks, play em.

I hope the fo spreads the love and gives the defense someone opposing coaches have to game plan around. Just hoping opposing quarterbacks get bored and throw a bad pass isn't a great approach.

You have to let the draft come to you. You don't just reach for a D-lineman cause it is an area of need.

We have Billings who will be replacing Peko, barring injuries i think he will be a major upgrade.

Barnett is the most likely D-lineman to be there at 9 and he can't stop the run so he would not be a 3 down Lineman.

We can get a DE in the 2nd that can stop the run and rush the passer. Happens all the time.

McDowell, Willis, McKinley, Tim Williams, Lawson, Watt etc.

(04-27-2017, 08:22 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Since I didn't see much of him in college I just watched some film.

Smaller in stature but wins a lot of contested balls
Runs crisp routes
Takes the top off the defense
Makes Sh*t happen when it isn't there
Also a kick returner

I'm not sure what the bengals are going to do.  I'm also not sure how his knees will hold up... If j knew these things i would be a millionaire!  But what what I do know is this kid is talented beyond just his speed.  He effect Ross would have on the bengals O is really unexplainable.  Safety's would have to play a little deeper, opening up the running game.   Coverage would have to be shifted his way so aj can't be double and triple teamed all game.  Less safety help on the tight end meaning more looks for eifert or whoever is healthy.

Ross is not necessarily my ideal number one pick.  But you are talking once in a lifetime speed on a kid who has football skills and wants to play for Marvin Lewis.  The bengals could do a LOT worse.  He reminds me a little of Steve smith with speed.  Now he likely does t end up a top 15-20 WR all time but the potential is there.

I see the same thing when watching Ross. Dude is a gamebreaker that we haven't had at #2 WR.

Can move him all around the field and in the Slot on AJ's side and really give Defenses problems.

This guy would help this Offense more than people are giving a WR credit for. Speed kills man and like you said...

John Ross is not just speed.

He goes up for the ball like Steve Smith but he is faster, he lulls Defenders to sleep that then just takes off.

He has good hands, runs good routes and is smooth as silk.

(04-27-2017, 10:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Did you watch the same bengals I did last year?  Do you think offensive skill players/playmakers is not an area of need?  

I get the bengals had injuries, but The offense was atrocious when green went out leaving Lafell as our number one.  Dalton is not a qb that is going to make his players better.  However dalton will play up to the level of talent surrounding him.  Does that make sense?  

If the bengals have a better offense and stay on the field longer the defense will be more fresh.  I understand we NEED help in the front 7 on defense and they can address that later.  We also have billings coming back and minter so there is that. 

Howard is probably who I want in my dream scenario.  Dalton is lights out with a big body roaming the middle... Who can actually catch (uzomoah) and stay on the field (eifert).  But he will likely be gone.  The bengals already have a stud wr in green and complimentary possession recievers in Boyd and Lafell.  What the bengals are lacking is speed to be honest.  And Ross fits the bell.  Even if he only caught 50 balls but at a high yards per catch and produced 5-6 touchdowns the overall effect on offense would be noticeable.  Throw in a return td or two....

Fwiw- I'd also be happy with Foster, hooker, Adams, Allen, fournette, Thomas.  But I'm totally on board with Ross if that is their guy. 

Yeah Bengal Bug, completely agree. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those thinking Ross is a top 10 pick, the numbers for his career just don't pan out. He has averaged 3 receptions per game over his 4 year career. He had one breakout year. My fear is he is next Percy Harvin, good and fast receiver, but often injured.

Corey Brown may be the better option if we go receiver.

Me, I hope OJ Howard is sitting there at 9 or we trade back for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick that we can use to move up in later rounds.

And yet he still had a crazy TD rate...

And you don't take into consideration his terrible deep ball QB...

Do you mean Corey Davis?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:55 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And yet he still had a crazy TD rate...

And you don't take into consideration his terrible deep ball QB...

Do you mean Corey Davis?

Yeah I had A. Brown (MAC school also) on my mind.

It would not crush me if we took Ross, My concern would be could he stay on the field for 16 games as the AFCN is known for heavy hitters and I also like Howard over him to give us 2 very good TE's in the redzone
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: We keep waiting on later round dl guys who couldn't replace peko or fill in for mj. Will there be someone in the second or later who might contribute in a season? Probably, you never know. Is it as likely as someone at 9? Probably not.

Well, on the DL, we have 2 4th rounders that haven't played a snap and a 3rd rounder who's been slow working into the rotation.  At WR, we've got a 2nd round pick that played decent, but not great, a 6th rounder that was #2 to Treadwell of all people in college, and an UDFA.

I wouldn't take Ross over the big three DE's, but they are likely gone by our pick.  We had one of the worst scoring offenses in the league last year, so guys that can put points on the board is a big time need.  Ross scored on roughy 1 out of every 5 touches in college, so he checks that box in a big way.  When they say he is a threat to score any time he touches the ball, it's not an exaggeration in his case.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yeah I had A. Brown (MAC school also) on my mind.

It would not crush me if we took Ross, My concern would be could he stay on the field for 16 games as the AFCN is known for heavy hitters and I also like Howard over him to give us 2 very good TE's in the redzone

Very understandable. Definately understand this concern and understand why someone would like Howard over Ross.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, on the DL, we have 2 4th rounders that haven't played a snap and a 3rd rounder who's been slow working into the rotation.  At WR, we've got a 2nd round pick that played decent, but not great, a 6th rounder that was #2 to Treadwell of all people in college, and an UDFA.

I wouldn't take Ross over the big three DE's, but they are likely gone by our pick.  We had one of the worst scoring offenses in the league last year, so guys that can put points on the board is a big time need.  Ross scored on roughy 1 out of every 5 touches in college, so he checks that box in a big way.  When they say he is a threat to score any time he touches the ball, it's not an exaggeration in his case.

You said it better than me. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 10:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Did you watch the same bengals I did last year?  Do you think offensive skill players/playmakers is not an area of need?  

No, playmaker isn't. We've got guys, ^#$%ing use them. Boys, Core, LaFell. Bring in the TEs we've been grooming.

We've got guys who can catch. Let's get guys who can disrupt.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 11:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those thinking Ross is a top 10 pick, the numbers for his career just don't pan out. He has averaged 3 receptions per game over his 4 year career. He had one breakout year. My fear is he is next Percy Harvin, good and fast receiver, but often injured.

Corey Davis may be the better option if we go receiver.

this!!  we should have taken the chiefs trade and got an extra 3rd this year and a 1st next year...that was a no brainer
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:17 AM)pulses Wrote: this!!  we should have taken the chiefs trade and got an extra 3rd this year and a 1st next year...that was a no brainer

it was time to try a impact player.. the last time we picked in top ten.. it has worked out pretty well for us....  besides we never got any calls.. especially from KC, they knew we were not taking a QB and Buffalo was not taking the QB they wanted
Reply/Quote
Ross is the WR this offense has lacked.
The ability to make tacklers miss in open space and turn a 8 yd slant into a 56 yd TD.
IM.GOOD WITH THE PICK
Ross will allow Boyd to have favorable matchups
Reply/Quote