Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drafting 5th
Problem is, with no many holes on defense, we can’t score enough points to beat teams consistently. It will take years to get enough good players on defense to turn this team around. You can’t win every game by out scoring your opponent. When you play good defensive teams, you will lose almost all the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Problem is, with no many holes on defense, we can’t score enough points to beat teams consistently. It will take years to get enough good players on defense to turn this team around. You can’t win every game by out scoring your opponent. When you play good defensive teams, you will lose almost all the time.

Actually that’s literally how you win games lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:33 AM)Goalpost Wrote: If Sewell is gone, I prefer the receiver options.  Chase, Smith, or Pitts.

As deep as this WR class is, I would cringe if we took a WR or TE at #5.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We also just scored 3 points for a second straight time against Baltimore. At some point you need to be able to go toe-to-toe with them. You’re only going to slow Lamar down so much.

And we didn’t draft Burrow #1OA to be merely “effective.” If we want 2019 Burrow we need to surround him with elite weapons. Like he had at LSU.

We also lost ToP by over 20 minutes because we couldn't get a 1st down.  We had under 200 yards of offense and over 1/4 of that was Williams's run in garbage time.  When your offense hangs your D out to dry, they're going to get gassed.  Unless any of these defensive guys has the endurance of a Kenyan marathon runner, they wouldn't have been much help Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:33 AM)Au165 Wrote: Right, I think you don't throw out the OU thing but you definitely don't completely knock him for it. It is kind of the whole Fields argument, you can't push the Clemson game while forgetting the Northwestern and Indiana games. In the end, you have to look at the whole body of work and Trask's body of work shows a really good prospect, but with a huge negative of not being mobile. That said, he isn't mobile but he is a willing runner who will go get you 3rd and 1 if he has to which is an appreciated mentality. 

Yep, thrived on play action.  Ideal QB for pitt without the rapes
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:45 AM)J24 Wrote:  We just gave up 400 yards rushing, had 17 sacks( 8 in the last 11 weeks), and are about two lose two high quality starters on defense in Jackson and Lawson. We need to address the defense this off-season in a major way. We can't expect to win the division if we can't defend. Joe doesn't need a superstar cast on offense for him to be effective.

Offensive-slanted league.  Show me a defense that can hold KC in check.  There are none.  When it matters, they can 40-burger anyone.  And I don't see any way they lost Lawson AND WJIII.  They may lose WJIII, but would franchise Lawson in such a situation. 

The defense will be much more competitive with Reader, a draft pick like Barmore, Wilson and Pratt playing the LB role in nickel, and one of the best safety tandems in the league. 

I don't look at the defense as just what got blasted by the Ravens, just like you are not apparently looking at the offense that way.  
Reply/Quote
Hoping for a Sewell Miracle.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Problem is, with no many holes on defense, we can’t score enough points to beat teams consistently.  It will take years to get enough good players on defense to turn this team around.  You can’t win every game by out scoring your opponent.  When you play good defensive teams, you will lose almost all the time.

The problem isn't that we have so many holes, it's keeping guys healthy.  This defense is more than enough to win:

DE - Hubbard
DE - Lawson
DT - Reader
DT - Atkins
LB - Wilson, Pratt
LB - Bynes, DGB
CB - WJ3
CB - Waynes
CB - Alexander
CB - Phillips
S - Bell
S - Bates
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The problem isn't that we have so many holes, it's keeping guys healthy.  This defense is more than enough to win:

DE - Hubbard
DE - Lawson
DT - Reader
DT - Atkins
LB - Wilson, Pratt
LB - Bynes, DGB
CB - WJ3
CB - Waynes
CB - Alexander
CB - Phillips
S - Bell
S - Bates

Dorial Green-Beckham? I had no clue he became a LB! Ninja
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Offensive-slanted league.  Show me a defense that can hold KC in check.  There are none.  When it matters, they can 40-burger anyone.  And I don't see any way they lost Lawson AND WJIII.  They may lose WJIII, but would franchise Lawson in such a situation. 

The defense will be much more competitive with Reader, a draft pick like Barmore, Wilson and Pratt playing the LB role in nickel, and one of the best safety tandems in the league. 

I don't look at the defense as just what got blasted by the Ravens, just like you are not apparently looking at the offense that way.  

What offense is outscoring the chiefs? You think getting in a shootout with Mahomes is smart?Better off running the Ball and hoping the defense can force a couple of turnovers to slow him down.
Also what happens when we lose our #1 pass rusher & #1 CB this off-season? This defense is in a world of hurt that a nose tackle won't solve magically.
Edit
They lose Lawson because it will be hard to resign him to a long term deal. Best hope is they Tag &!Trade him. Even if they keep Lawson they would still need another pass rusher or two.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We also just scored 3 points for a second straight time against Baltimore. At some point you need to be able to go toe-to-toe with them. You’re only going to slow Lamar down so much.

And we didn’t draft Burrow #1OA to be merely “effective.” If we want 2019 Burrow we need to surround him with elite weapons. Like he had at LSU.

The "weapons" he has here aren't the problem.  The protection is.

Given that Hopkins has an ACL, you can easily make the case that the best move is somehow to move down and pick up an extra 2nd.  

We are going to need at least 2 interior linemen.  I still think they probably roll with Hart next year.
Reply/Quote
Doubt if we are lucky enough to get Sewell at 5.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 04:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The "weapons" he has here aren't the problem.  The protection is.

Given that Hopkins has an ACL, you can easily make the case that the best move is somehow to move down and pick up an extra 2nd.  

We are going to need at least 2 interior linemen.  I still think they probably roll with Hart next year.

Other than Sewell, they need to address the OL in FA. Can’t keep waiting around for draft picks to develop while our QB is getting killed.

Reply/Quote
Worst case is QB, QB, Sewell, QB in first four picks and Chase is the pick at #5. Not a bad worst case at all. Yes, I'd prefer a DL or OL, but so far it isn't looking like there is anyone other than Sewell worthy of a top 5 pick at those positions.

Best case is QB, QB, WR, QB. Sewell is the pick at #5.

Most intriguing case is only two QBs go in the top 4 and there are multiple offers from teams looking to move up to get the third QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 04:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than Sewell, they need to address the OL in FA. Can’t keep waiting around for draft picks to develop while our QB is getting killed.

Completely agree.  They need to sign one top tier IOL.
Reply/Quote
I want Sewell, Parsons, and Chase in that order. I feel like they are the 3 elite non-quarterbacks in this draft. All seem to have high ceilings and low floors. Each would change their position group the better immediately.

I'll be surprise of Pasrons falls past Miami or Atlanta. Both need defensive help, and I have to think Flores would trip over his shoestrings to get to the podium and get a player like that to lead his already terrific defense. Not sure what Atlanta does. maybe trade to a quarterback needy team? I don't know.

If it were between Sewell and Chase, I think the Bengals would take Chase. Hopefully they'll have spent big on OL if that happens to soften the blow. Regardless of what happens, it will be tough to see Sewell fall to us and not be picked.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure how we would know a fit until we know a coach in ATL. I don't see it with Lance at all, and as I said people are starting to ask those questions now too. Usually, we talk about how risky one year of starting is for a QB and then you layer on its one year of starting at a lower level and I just can't see a team using a top 5 pick on him. 

If I am ATL and really want a QB, I hold out and hope Trask falls to the bottom of the 1st and come up for him.

I see Mac Jones being rated above Trask. 

I doubt it happens, but we could see 6 first round QB's taken. 5 is a strong possibility and 4 is almost a certainty.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:45 AM)J24 Wrote:  We just gave up 400 yards rushing, had 17 sacks( 8 in the last 11 weeks), and are about two lose two high quality starters on defense in Jackson and Lawson. We need to address the defense this off-season in a major way. We can't expect to win the division if we can't defend. Joe doesn't need a superstar cast on offense for him to be effective.

How many starters were missing from our defense yesterday?

I know at least 3 starting DL and 2 starting CB's? A starting LB also. Yesterday showed me we have a major depth issue as much as anything else.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:58 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: Depending on FA, I'm hoping for Sewell at 5. If he's gone I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots to maybe pick up a 2/3rd rd pick in this draft. Guys I like at 5-10.

1) Chase-WR
2) Paye-DE
3) Slater-OT
4) Rousseau-DE
5) Parsons-LB
6) Farley-CB

My ideal 1-3 with Sewell off the board (w. trade with carolina)

1) Paye-DE (Michigan)

2) Eichenberg- RT (ND)

3) Mukuamu-CB (S.Carolina)

3) Williams-WR (Auburn)

I like Eichenberg too, but a deep OL group. On CBS, he is not ranked in top 100 players right now. But, let's see other rankings and the combine as he may be being under valued on CBS.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: We also lost ToP by over 20 minutes because we couldn't get a 1st down.  We had under 200 yards of offense and over 1/4 of that was Williams's run in garbage time.  When your offense hangs your D out to dry, they're going to get gassed.  Unless any of these defensive guys has the endurance of a Kenyan marathon runner, they wouldn't have been much help Sunday.

True and started without 7 starters due to injury on defense.

So poor offensive play just added to our depth issue on defense.

Reply/Quote