Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre K re-signs with Bengals
(03-09-2017, 08:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Based on what?  How many other CBs have you seen come out of the draft and be successful as starters?  This was a critical retention and I am relieved that it happened.

I agree.  DreK is one of the few picks that actually got coached up and played as a decent starter.

Like many have said before...  why would you want a player who is doing his job that's still young to leave?

I think they did it to keep him and see what WJIII/Dennard do.

If Dennard doesn't play up to being a solid starter they'll eventually let him walk if WJIII looks decent.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Despite our tussles, I've never lumped you in with these people, bfine.

We're both glass half full people, I always have been.

(03-09-2017, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not me Truck. I'm a glass half-full type of guy around here. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And this thread is proof positive, why I don't even post here anymore, not do I check every hour like I used to. For 8 straight years. And its not the mods' fault either.

This has gone from the BEST board of any NFL team, to easily the worst internet time one can spend.

Such negativity and outright vitriol for something you should have fun discussing. And coming from people whom I considered comrades and, hell, friends.

Bunch of loser mentalities you all have.

I understand where you're coming from, and I'm admittedly one of the Negative Nancy's. But I didn't start off that way, for several years I was as positive as can be. But then... The Bengals continued to Bengal.

It's not like the negativity and vitriol isn't unwarranted. What is there to be happy about lately? 

We are desperately hanging on to a coach who's coordinators made him look good and who has no clue how to win when it matters. We have core players leave when their contracts expire. Drafting has been less than mediocre. Continuous refusal to sign impact free agents. A certain position coach constantly hyping up and defending less than stellar players  Whatever We are still the butt of jokes around the NFL. 

I ask again, what is there to be positive about lately? I don't see the overall attitude around here changing until a playoff win happens (at the very least). Finally, the vast majority of us are sick and tired of just "being competitive". It is beyond time for this team to make a run yet we seem to be trending toward the other direction with the losses of Whit and Zeitler today.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't matter that they got him back because if you can't score you can't win!
So they over paid him sounds like what the front office had to do something to keep us fans from totally quiting on them.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And this thread is proof positive, why I don't even post here anymore, not do I check every hour like I used to. For 8 straight years. And its not the mods' fault either.

This has gone from the BEST board of any NFL team, to easily the worst internet time one can spend.

Such negativity and outright vitriol for something you should have fun discussing. And coming from people whom I considered comrades and, hell, friends.

Bunch of loser mentalities you all have.

You can't tell me that this team, as it stands now, is better than the 6-9-1 from last year. Right now, they are worse and they are banking on a player, who was TERRIBLE last year that actually got benched, to now play an even TOUGHER position next year. A position that is vital for the passing game. We all know that the Rams and Browns overpaid for the services of Whit and Zeitler respectively, however, good free agents will always get overpaid. This year is no different. Guess what? Next year, someone will get paid even more. You think the Bengals will dive in?

The Bengals never make a splash in free agency and we can't expect them to change that philosophy no matter how dumb it may seem at times. Hearing the Bengals say that "we sign our own" is a bunch of crap since we failed to sign two of our own. I understand not signing Whit, but Zeitler's contract, which is indeed way too much now, will actually be a good deal 3 years from now when I guarantee you that the rate for a Guard is higher than what Zeitler got. It's ok for the Bengals to overpay at a position of need every now and again. They can't keep hoping for lightning in a bottle or to nail the draft every year when the last few drafts have sucked.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: He's still 37. They were gonna have to move on sometime soon anyway. Let Whit make some good money at the end of his career...just don't let it be us that is overpaying him.

Yeah but we should have capable players to replace them not complete crap like right now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Based on what?  How many other CBs have you seen come out of the draft and be successful as starters?  This was a critical retention and I am relieved that it happened.

Especially after the Pats gave Gilmore a ridiculous $14 million.  I swear they did that to screw the rest of the league that will now overpay the rest of the CBs.  

Losing Whit was likely a very dumb move, though, I will give you that...especially if he isn't replaced by a FA.  If it is Ced O at LT, the season is over before it starts and the entire team will know it.  
We have two other first Rd picks ready to go, a nice nickel in shaw, and another 3rd  in Russell. We had depth.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm happy we kept DreK. I'm hoping they'll cut Pacman, but I highly doubt it. There is talent behind DreK, but you can never have too much depth at CB. Keeping Whit would have been ideal as well though. Letting him walk hurts for a lot more reasons than production at LT.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:30 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Better than 6-9-1?  I'm not sure they will.  Unless they do something to help the O line significantly they will be in last place in the AFC North. I'll wait and see what they do.  Not holding my breath.  They already did the "Ced is the future" article on Bengals.com.  So right now I'm seeing last place.

I'll take that action. Some sort of sig bet maybe? I think the Bengals will have a better record in 2017 than they did in 2016. 

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:17 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I understand where you're coming from, and I'm admittedly one of the Negative Nancy's. But I didn't start off that way, for several years I was as positive as can be. But then... The Bengals continued to Bengal.

It's not like the negativity and vitriol isn't unwarranted. What is there to be happy about lately? 

We are desperately hanging on to a coach who's coordinators made him look good and who has no clue how to win when it matters. We have core players leave when their contracts expire. Drafting has been less than mediocre. Continuous refusal to sign impact free agents. A certain position coach constantly hyping up and defending less than stellar players  Whatever We are still the butt of jokes around the NFL. 

I ask again, what is there to be positive about lately? I don't see the overall attitude around here changing until a playoff win happens (at the very least). Finally, the vast majority of us are sick and tired of just "being competitive". It is beyond time for this team to make a run yet we seem to be trending toward the other direction with the losses of Whit and Zeitler today.

(03-09-2017, 09:26 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: You can't tell me that this team, as it stands now, is better than the 6-9-1 from last year. Right now, they are worse and they are banking on a player, who was TERRIBLE last year that actually got benched, to now play an even TOUGHER position next year. A position that is vital for the passing game. We all know that the Rams and Browns overpaid for the services of Whit and Zeitler respectively, however, good free agents will always get overpaid. This year is no different. Guess what? Next year, someone will get paid even more. You think the Bengals will dive in?

The Bengals never make a splash in free agency and we can't expect them to change that philosophy no matter how dumb it may seem at times. Hearing the Bengals say that "we sign our own" is a bunch of crap since we failed to sign two of our own. I understand not signing Whit, but Zeitler's contract, which is indeed way too much now, will actually be a good deal 3 years from now when I guarantee you that the rate for a Guard is higher than what Zeitler got. It's ok for the Bengals to overpay at a position of need every now and again. They can't keep hoping for lightning in a bottle or to nail the draft every year when the last few drafts have sucked.

Never said you have to be positive and rosy: this isn't black and white.

You guys are going out of your way, taking your time to ***** and moan about something you're supposed to have fun with.

Think I'm happy? No. Do you see me bitching in each and every thread like half the people here? No. I avoid it. I channel my energy into more important AMD constructive things, like writing reviews, going to the gym and cooking.

That's all. I do thank AND commend you guys for your perfectly apt and mature responses :).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:51 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'll take that action. Some sort of sig bet maybe? I think the Bengals will have a better record in 2017 than they did in 2016. 

I'll do a sig bet on last place if their starters on Oline are Ogbuehi, Fisher, Boling, Bodine, and Johnson, as the front page of Bengals.com seems to be saying.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Never said you have to be positive and rosy: this isn't black and white.

You guys are going out of your way, taking your time to ***** and moan about something you're supposed to have fun with.

Think I'm happy? No. Do you see me bitching in each and every thread like half the people here? No. I avoid it. I channel my energy into more important AMD constructive things, like writing reviews, going to the gym and cooking.

That's all. I do thank AND commend you guys for your perfectly apt and mature responses :).

It takes energy to call a team out for their constant BS on a message board where people are encouraged to vent their frustrations? Again, the majority of happenings with this team are pretty negative lately. You're going to see negative responses when the team makes some asinine decisions. Just the way it is. 

Honestly, it doesn't take any energy at all to be critical. It does provide a cathartic release sometimes, but it's far from strenuous. I like to believe my priorities are in order. I also hit the gym, enjoy writing, playing pickup games of football, etc. This board doesn't come anywhere close to running my life. And it doesn't bother me when fellow fans call the team out when it's well deserved.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Never said you have to be positive and rosy: this isn't black and white.

Sorry, but I'm furious right now.  I'm madder at the Bengals than I was in the 90s.  This is inexcusable.  I need to vent and I'm doing it here. (and on Twitter).  I seriously wish Mike Brown had a social media account.
Reply/Quote
I think one reason people are ticked is the past two years the Bengals have basically put the lie to their own statements about their not playing in Free Agency because they resign their own key players. Last year we gutted our own WR corps and lost a key element in the secondary and just in the first say this year the two best offensive linemen are gone. And in both years we have been way under the cap at the time and also failed to properly use the Franchise tag.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:03 PM)J24 Wrote: Dumb move he was the one guy that was replaceable out of the three.
EXACTLY
I swear I didn't think Mikey Brownpants, Pumpkin, and Marvelous Marvin could screw up this FA season after they craped out last year. I was wrong. They screwed up even worse this year. I AM DONE. Will continue to haunt the message board but won't watch any games....Yeah, that will fix 'em. Tongue
Reply/Quote

The nature of sports fandom in general, and especially interacting with other fans, is always a pretty interesting - and sometimes crazy - experience. Good lord, just look at Twitter today. LOL

Every fan expresses themselves in different ways. Some wear their emotions on their sleeves, letting you know exactly how they feel. Some are more reserved or take a different type of approach. Some tend to be more positive, some are just more negative. Some are ever hopeful and some are ever jaded. Sometimes fans just need a place to vent.

I think we have a good mixture of all types here. Things can become negative at times - depending on what's occurring - but that's in no way unique to this message board or to Bengals fans. 
Reply/Quote
I liked keeping this guy. He's at a position on the field where every single completion on the field is viewed as an epic fail, and the fans are on them. However, an interesting stat someone posted the other day from PFF focus said Dre was the best at defending the deep "bomb" passes. I watch all the Bengals games and most of the Buffalo games. I can tell you Gilmore is wretched on the longer throws, it's either a complete and total whiff, or a huge penalty. Dre may not be the best, but he's not so bad,either; an excellent retention,imo. At the money Zeitler got (and they knew he would get) all the crying in the world wouldn't have made the end result any better. I'm actually surprised we kept any of the big three. I figured we were done after they signed LaFell.
Reply/Quote
This is a bit of good news on an otherwise rough day. I'm glad we were able to keep him.

If he can cut his penalties down a bit he'll be a very good CB for us for years to come.

Reply/Quote

Well if we all avoided the boards when the news is negative...The boards would disappear eventually due to lack of activity. Some of us just prefer to vent about what upsets us about the team. It's kinda like Ken Broo's "Bengals group therapy".  Smirk 

Over the last 15 months, we've seen the most heartbreaking playoff game in team history, a 6-9-1 season, and now our 2 best linemen sign elsewhere when that was already a trouble spot. What positives can we take out of this? I suppose we could start a thread about how the Bengals can fix the issues, but right now people are naturally going to be upset. 

Imagine a Cavs message board when they lost LeBron. Or the Redskins board with their WRs signing elsewhere while Cousins demands a trade. I'm betting they look(ed) the same as ours. Heck...think back to 2011 on the old boards. Things were just as bad. I saw it myself.

If you want the boards to be more positive, make some positive threads. Lead by example.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well I agree this was the move I was least wanting to see. Pay (overpay?) for mediocrity. I am curious to see what Logan Ryan signs for. I hope I'm wrong and dre proves worth it. I also hope he doesn't regress now that he got paid. Time will tell
Reply/Quote