Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drew Sample
(09-19-2020, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Anybody willing to say the kid just might have game, that maybe he wasn't the worst pick in the history of the world after all?

I'm on the Sample boat. I think He, Burrow and Higgins are gonna be together a long time. Hopefully raise a Lomabrdi in the future..
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 08:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Through two games in his sophomore year Drew Sample has shown me excellent blocking, great hands, and a little bit of body control/athleticism. He is a player people should keep their eyes on.

^This

All Sample has done, is everything that's been asked of him.  I feel confident that he's capable of much greater things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm with Sunset and Synric. He's played well, and his blocking has been great. That was his forte in college he was dubbed as one of the best blocking TE's heading into the draft, but very few targets in the passing game. He's looking good to me in both areas, both games. He blocks great and has caught about everything thrown at him so far. Glad he's a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 08:30 PM)McC Wrote: And that was a pretty big crowd.  They are also in the Rome was built in a day crowd.

I don't remember too many people, if any at all, that said he sucks bad.

I remember a lot, including me, that said he was picked too soon. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think Sample is a Reggie Kelly clone.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Still too early to call. Seems solid so far but hasn't really been tested in the passing game so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 03:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't remember too many people, if any at all, that said he sucks bad.

This. Not sure how anyone could have made much of a judgment on him last year. He barely played. People were just frustrated with the reach, and getting virtually no contribution from a 2nd round pick in his rookie season.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 03:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't remember too many people, if any at all, that said he sucks bad.

This.

It's all been about whether or not he lives up to his draft position.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 09:00 PM)jason Wrote: Well those are pretty much the numbers that TEs not named Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, and Ertz put up. I don't think he'll be great either, and I sure as hell would've rather taken DK Metcalf with that pick, but he's our guy, and that was his best performance so far. At this point we need every positive we can get.

Yup, those are pretty pedestrian numbers.

I'm not asking the world out him.  With Uzomah down, I think that serves as a good baseline for a 2nd year, 2nd round pick.

He doesn't need to magically turn into Travis Kelce overnight, or anywhere close to it.  Just put up 600+ yards and maybe we can pencil this guy in as our TE1 for the future.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:46 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Sample is a Reggie Kelly clone.

If that is true, we should be ecstatic.  Reggie was an excellent blocker with reliable hands when called upon, and an excellent locker room leader.
Reply/Quote
Through 2 games Drew Sample might be the highest graded player on the Bengals roster according to PFF.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 05:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope.

Gonna need him to show it during a game that actually matters, not while catching 6 yard passes in the middle of the field while down by multiple scores with minutes to go in the 4th quarter and zero timeouts. Defenses will give that to you all day long.

This thread smells an awful lot like the "who wants to eat crow about Ross" threads last year after Week 1. Lol

I get the cynicism, but it was very nice to see his hands and him move in space.  And if teams give easy completions with this offensive line, we will take them and then take a deep shot when they start cheating up.  

As far as the Ross quote, we all know Ross is going to have a game like Seattle soon (even though there have been absolutely no indications of that) and will create massive confusion all over again.  Watch it.  It won't make any sense, but it will happen. 
Reply/Quote
I remember right after the pick, people said he was underutilized at Washington and had really soft hands and didn't drop any passes in college (If I recall correctly).

He definitely showed those reports to be, at least partially, true. That one handed catch was impressive, even if it was for a short gain. Those are the kinds of players that make their QB look good. And since our QB doesn't need much help with that, they help him look great!

We'll have to see how he develops over time, but I was encouraged by his game.
Reply/Quote
I hope Drew turns into the next Tony Gonzalez but I don't see him as a TE that will thrive in a Joey B. offense. Joe likes 5 man protection and protection is about Drew's best asset. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schreck have better numbers
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
May I post Drew Boylhart's writeup on him from last year?

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=783

Quote:STRENGTHS
Drew is a complete Tight End who can block and catch. His talents are similar to the Cowboys Jason Witten. Drew is an excellent in line blocker and does a solid job running routes but his ability to catch the ball with a big catch radius is accomplished because of the effort he gives to make the catch in any situation. Drew is a Tight Ends, Tight End. He shows excellent balance to make his blocks and good run “after the catch” skills because of his size and compact style of running, making it difficult for smaller LB’s, CB’s and Safeties to tackle him. Drew really showed his route running skills and Velcro like hands to catch the ball at the Senior Bowl practices but as it is his style, not many noticed.

CONCERNS
I do wish he was a little faster but as long as the team that selects him keeps him to the normal Tight End routes and doesn’t try to make him into a wide receiver, Drew will impact.

TALENT BOARD ROUND ***2.00***
Do you really want to know why no one but me…is talking about Drew Sample? It’s because his quarterback couldn’t identify an 8 ft tall, open tight end receiver, standing in the middle of the field, waving his arms with Kim Kardashian standing next to him. I cannot tell how many times I saw on film, Drew wide open and his QB throw the ball to a covered receiver down the field. To be honest…I don’t know how Drew didn’t come back to the huddle and smack that QB in the back of the head. It shows what kind of teammate and the type of character Drew has, that he never got upset and just went back to work trying to block for him. This kid has the potential to start for the team that selects him for the next ten years and have a career that will make fans fall in love with him. He will be a fan favorite and a core player for the team the selects him. Believe it. If he was faster and flashier, and if his QB only would have passed the ball to him, someone else, other than me might have taken notice…you can bet the scouts did.

After reading this and seeing the tape of him at Washington reflect all of this (plus, what little we've seen of him in the NFL), I've never been worried and still think that his draft position was not nearly as big a deal as others think
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I saw a viral clip of Jonah Williams making a great block on 2 Browns defenders. One of which was Sample's responsibility but he instead went straight into his pass pattern without at least chipping the blitzer. If it wasn't for Williams, Burrow would have been buried. It wasn't a delayed blitz and the blitzer was right there in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:32 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I saw a viral clip of Jonah Williams making a great block on 2 Browns defenders. One of which was Sample's responsibility but he instead went straight into his pass pattern without at least chipping the blitzer. If it wasn't for Williams, Burrow would have been buried. It wasn't a delayed blitz and the blitzer was right there in front of him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:32 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I saw a viral clip of Jonah Williams making a great block on 2 Browns defenders.  One of which was Sample's responsibility but he instead went straight into his pass pattern without at least chipping the blitzer.  If it wasn't for Williams, Burrow would have been buried.  It wasn't a delayed blitz and the blitzer was right there in front of him.

It was a slot blitz by the safety that was lined up over Drew Sample and wasn't recognized pre-snap. If Joe had recognized it he would have dropped it to Sample who was wide open on a short hitch instead he was looking at the deeper route to the right. 

Sample did a good job leaving his spot and working with Joe toward the sideline after Burrow escaped.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: May I post Drew Boylhart's writeup on him from last year?

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=783

After reading this and seeing the tape of him at Washington reflect all of this (plus, what little we've seen of him in the NFL), I've never been worried and still think that his draft position was not nearly as big a deal as others think

Agree

Was he a little over drafted ? Perhaps ? But theses people talking 4th, 5th, even 6th round are way undervaluing him. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:32 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I saw a viral clip of Jonah Williams making a great block on 2 Browns defenders.  One of which was Sample's responsibility but he instead went straight into his pass pattern without at least chipping the blitzer.  If it wasn't for Williams, Burrow would have been buried.  It wasn't a delayed blitz and the blitzer was right there in front of him.

(09-20-2020, 11:59 AM)Synric Wrote: It was a slot blitz by the safety that was lined up over Drew Sample and wasn't recognized pre-snap. If Joe had recognized it he would have dropped it to Sample who was wide open on a short hitch instead he was looking at the deeper route to the right. 

Sample did a good job leaving his spot and working with Joe toward the sideline after Burrow escaped.

Yep. I'd put that on the QB, not Sample. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote