Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drew Sample
(09-20-2020, 11:32 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I saw a viral clip of Jonah Williams making a great block on 2 Browns defenders.  One of which was Sample's responsibility but he instead went straight into his pass pattern without at least chipping the blitzer.  If it wasn't for Williams, Burrow would have been buried.  It wasn't a delayed blitz and the blitzer was right there in front of him.

And how is it you know that he wasn't doing exactly what he was supposed to do?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I remember that play. He really saved Burrows butt on that cause cause he was about to get lit up. Awesome hustle.
Reply/Quote
Would like to use him more as a FB
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 04:27 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Would like to use him more as a FB

Yeah, I kinda wonder about that.  If you're struggling to run the ball, does a lead blocker help that or just further crowd the cluster ****?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Anybody willing to say the kid just might have game, that maybe he wasn't the worst pick in the history of the world after all?

We'll have to see what he actually ends up producing.
You can't base it off one game.
But if he's able to put up 40+ yards a game, he wasn't the worst 2nd round pick in the history of the world.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, that was more on Burrow not recognizing the play correctly. Rookie mistake. Thankfully Jonah bailed it out.
Reply/Quote
2nd rd picks are supposed to be parlayed into
Difference makers. Not.just a serviceable starter.
Thats the problem with the Bengals.....their once elite players are no longer elite
And very few of their starters are descending on elite level
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 11:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: May I post Drew Boylhart's writeup on him from last year?

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=783

After reading this and seeing the tape of him at Washington reflect all of this (plus, what little we've seen of him in the NFL), I've never been worried and still think that his draft position was not nearly as big a deal as others think

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington
Quote: What he does best:
  • Catches with his hands, and is very strong with the ball. Dropped only six of 105 catchable passes the last two years.
  • Willing blocker, will take on corner and try to seal him out of play.
  • Great ability to track the ball in the air and adjust his route accordingly. Can catch over the shoulder without breaking stride.
Almost like you can find bad scouting reports anywhere.

If you don't show it on an NFL field, it doesn't exist.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington
Almost like you can find bad scouting reports anywhere.

If you don't show it on an NFL field, it doesn't exist.

You haven't proven anything.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 03:42 PM)McC Wrote: And how is it you know that he wasn't doing exactly what he was supposed to do?

I can't see how a TE isn't suppose to block or chip a blitzer from the blind side.  Especially lined up in front of him.  I guess it was the right thing to do though, go into your pattern...let the blitzer go and hope Williams can block his man and chip yours too.  Yep...because that's how it worked out.  You're right, I'm wrong.  You can't convince me that Burrow didn't look over there pre-snap and say my TE, LT, and LG is manned up...left side is covered.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 10:30 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I can't see how a TE isn't suppose to block or chip a blitzer from the blind side.  Especially lined up in front of him.  I guess it was the right thing to do though, go into your pattern...let the blitzer go and hope Williams can block his man and chip yours too.  Yep...because that's how it worked out.  You're right, I'm wrong.  You can't convince me that Burrow didn't look over there pre-snap and say my TE, LT, and LG is manned up...left side is covered.

The consensus around here is that it might have been on the QB for not recognizing the blitz.  Either way, it was a heck of a play by the LT.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Anybody willing to say the kid just might have game, that maybe he wasn't the worst pick in the history of the world after all?

He's had one good game, but he made me like him in that game. He probably wasn't the worst pick in history. He's got more game than Ross just by the fact that he has hands that work.

Reply/Quote
Actually 2 good games. The scouting on him was that while not in the Gronk mold he has good hands and plays the ball well in the air. Who he resembles most is Reggie Kelly from our experience - and if that is what he turns out to be we have something good.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 12:36 AM)BengalChris Wrote: He's had one good game, but he made me like him in that game. He probably wasn't the worst pick in history. He's got more game than Ross just by the fact that he has hands that work.

Dude got game. That one handed catch was dope.
Reply/Quote
Even if Sample proves to be an excellent player I'm not sure fans will ever appreciate him because his biggest strength will always be as a blocker and not as a receiver.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'll also add that I remember when we drafted him a reporter Laurel Pfahler asked Drew Sample if he thought he would go in the 2nd round, he gave the most honest answer ever, no.

Drew Sample said they were thinking he would go in the third or fourth round and even that was a maybe.

If I remember right it was one of our scouts Potts? I think it was that was just going on and on about him, if I remember correctly he even compared George Kittle's senior year of 22 catches for 314 yards and 4 td's to Drews senior year.

Both were know as blockers in very similar offensive TE systems.

If he turns out to be be an all timer, we'll have to remember our scout Potts was correct and most of the NFL and media were wrong about him being worthy of a 2nd rounder.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:08 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: If he turns out to be be an all timer, we'll have to remember our scout Potts was correct and most of the NFL and media were wrong about him being worthy of a 2nd rounder.

Many of the same guys who cried about the Bengals taking Sample in the second were screaming for us to draft Mack Wilson in the second.

It is possible that other NFL teams had a 2nd round grade on Sample.  We just don't know.  When a team drafts a guy higher than the "experts" rated him people say the team reached.  But when all 32 teams pass on a guy and he goes much later than the "experts" rated him no one says all the teams were wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:08 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I'll also add that I remember when we drafted him a reporter Laurel Pfahler asked Drew Sample if he thought he would go in the 2nd round, he gave the most honest answer ever, no.

Drew Sample said they were thinking he would go in the third or fourth round and even that was a maybe.

If I remember right it was one of our scouts Potts? I think it was that was just going on and on about him, if I remember correctly he even compared George Kittle's senior year of 22 catches for 314 yards and 4 td's to Drews senior year.

Both were know as blockers in very similar offensive TE systems.

If he turns out to be be an all timer, we'll have to remember our scout Potts was correct and most of the NFL and media were wrong about him being worthy of a 2nd rounder.

I said in another thread, and I don't want this misconstrued, his blocking is reminiscent of Kittle and if he can use that to get free releases on PA like Kittle often does he could be good. Not saying Kittle good, just saying the comparison blocking wise isn't crazy.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Many of the same guys who cried about the Bengals taking Sample in the second were screaming for us to draft Mack Wilson in the second.

It is possible that other NFL teams had a 2nd round grade on Sample.  We just don't know.  When a team drafts a guy higher than the "experts" rated him people say the team reached.  But when all 32 teams pass on a guy and he goes much later than the "experts" rated him no one says all the teams were wrong.

Just to be clear I have never said Sample will be a great player. I have just said we can't judge him by hus rookie season. I say the same thing about EVERY draft pick.
Reply/Quote
Dudes nailed this one.

Sample went off today
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote