Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Drew Sample is a Bum
(12-12-2020, 01:07 AM)WhoDave72 Wrote: Drew sample is on pace to have more yards in his second year than Bob Trumpy had in his last four years in the league. I was hammered talking to Kyle Rudolph's father at the Christian Moerlein lager house in 2014. He said Bob Trumpy was the 2nd best tight end of all time. Samples nipping at his heels.

Bob Trumpy's last 4 years in the league were when he was declining.
During the rest of Trumpy's career (in an era where passing was way lower that it is today btw), here were his stats:
1968 - 639 yards
1969 - 835 yards
1970 - 480 yards
1971 - 531 yards
1972 - 500 yards
1973 - 435 yards

Keep in mind that the season was 14 games back then.

In comparison, here are Sample's stats each year:
2019 - 30 yards
2020 - 301 yards (4 games remaining)

Sample is averaging 25 yards per game this season. If he gets that the rest of this season, he'll just hit 400 yards. Trumpy exceeded that mark every year for his first 6 years in the league.

To even think Sample comes close to Trumpy is asinine.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 01:07 AM)WhoDave72 Wrote: Drew sample is on pace to have more yards in his second year than Bob Trumpy had in his last four years in the league. I was hammered talking to Kyle Rudolph's father at the Christian Moerlein lager house in 2014. He said Bob Trumpy was the 2nd best tight end of all time. Samples nipping at his heels.

This might be the worst take I have ever seen. I can't tell if you're trolling or if this is a real take.

1. You're comparing the 2nd year (only) to the final 4 years of a player's career while cutting out his 4 Pro Bowl and 1 All-Pro season.
2. You're comparing collecting stats from 14 game seasons to 16 game seasons rather than rate stats.
3. Between 1974-1977 (the time you're arbitrarily using for Trumpy) the average NFL QB passed for about 2,100 yards per year. Meanwhile in 2020, the average QB is on pace to throw for 3,840 yards. That means Drew Sample would need to get ~83% more yards than Trumpy to be equal in workload.

Drew Sample couldn't carry Bob Trumpy's jock strap.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2020, 11:05 PM)Tony Wrote: Ya, I'm not gonna sit here and crunch numbers on a guy who is complete trash. If he is remembered for anything, it will be Miles Jack's ***** in the Endzone...

Come on Tony, Sample is not complete trash man.

I agree with you on a lot of things but this is getting out of hand.

Sample is a decent TE taken too early in the Draft. He isn't a playmaker and shouldn't be thought of as one.

They screwed up taking him so early, should of taken Metcalf but I am not crying over that spilt milk.
Reply/Quote
He’s really not a bum though.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:01 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: He’s really not a bum though.

Depends on your definition, TBH.

People saying he's bad are expecting a 2nd round TE to be (far) more of a receiving threat than Sample has been.

Through 13 games, Sample has 322 yards, 0 TDs. And he only had 30 yards in 9 games played last year.

As a blocker though, Sample is rather good. They probably wouldn't be criticizing Sample as much if he was a Day 3 pick (which is what he was projected to be).

The reality is there is no drafted TE in that class that is doing better than Sample who was taken after him. The only solid-or-better receiving TEs in that draft have been TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant, both 1st rounders.
Does that mean the pick of Sample was justified because no TE taken after has been better? No. It just means that the TE class as a whole was terrible aside from Hockenson and Fant.

There also hasn't been a single TE from the 2020 draft class who has been a highly-contributing pass catcher.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Another bum performance by Sample today. 3 catches 21 yards. Average target was thrown for probably all of 3 or 4 yards. This in game where we threw the ball 36 times, and I think everyone came within 20 yards and in (dink and dunk).

I'm not sure you couldn't pluck pretty much every single backup in the league off someone's bench and have the successfully run these types of routes.

Bum city.
Reply/Quote
He’s a bum, but he’s one of those bums that really excel at being a bum. You know the one’s. They have the elaborate cardboard house set up, the shopping cart full of neatly folded blankets, and a first rate can operation.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As a blocker though, Sample is rather good. They probably wouldn't be criticizing Sample as much if he was a Day 3 pick (which is what he was projected to be).

A lot of people assume he wouldn't get criticized if it not were for his draft position.  I disagree.  The criticism is just because of where we was taken, it's because he has no business starting or playing this much.

2nd, 3rd rnd, 4th rnd, it really doesn't matter.  The dude is a backup level player, who is pretty much a complete nobody.

If your team has Drew Sample playing the bulk of Tight End snaps your team has some real problems.
Reply/Quote
Sample was the checkdown hero today. Has he ever ran past a LB going actually up the field on the seams?
His skill set is very limited. Hes so bad in the red zone at getting anykind of seperation
Reply/Quote
Sample played well. It isn't his fault the scheme has him as a Y-TE. You have to stop acting like in this scheme a TE is going to be a major receiving threat. Unfortunately the TE is 3rd or 4th in the route tree in Taylor's "scheme".
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A lot of people assume he wouldn't get criticized if it not were for his draft position.  I disagree.  The criticism is just because of where we was taken, it's because he has no business starting or playing this much.

2nd, 3rd rnd, 4th rnd, it really doesn't matter.  The dude is a backup level player, who is pretty much a complete nobody.

If your team has Drew Sample playing the bulk of Tight End snaps your team has some real problems.

To be fair, Sample wasn't expected to be the starter. Uzomah was, and he was doing well to start the season before his injury.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:56 PM)Joelist Wrote: Sample played well. It isn't his fault the scheme has him as a Y-TE. You have to stop acting like in this scheme a TE is going to be a major receiving threat. Unfortunately the TE is 3rd or 4th in the route tree in Taylor's "scheme".

Yea, TE will always be 4th or 5th in the pecking order with Taylor.
Sample was taken for his blocking anyway. He wasn't known as a premier pass catcher in college. So Sample is a good fit for Taylor's offense, the fans just don't want a TE like that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He wasn't known as a premier pass catcher in college.

That's an understatement. Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So Sample is a good fit for Taylor's offense, the fans just don't want a TE like that.

No one wants a Tight End like that, unless they hopped a ride with Doc Brown and traveled back to 1965.
Reply/Quote
Final stats for 2020

40 receptions, 349 yards, 1 TD, 8.7 YPR

Ranks

Receptions - 22nd
Yards - 29th
TD's - 51st (Tied)
Fantasy (Combines Rec, Yards, and TD's) - 37th

Now, like I've been saying this entire time, these stats look all the worse when you consider usage and opportunity. You have to remember, a lot of TE's in this league rotate and share snaps. And a lot of TE's play in offenses that throw less. Let's see where Sample stacks in these categories.

Usage/Opportunity

Snaps played - 6th
Passing Offense (attempts) - 14th

So Drew Sample played the 6th most snaps this season at tight end (only 20 snaps behind Travis Kelce), and he played in an offense that threw the ball a slightly above average rate. His composite receiving statistics rank him at the 37th most productive tight end.

I mean, I guess your only argument could be that Zac Taylor just simply refuses to use the tight end. And even that is a tough sell. These numbers are so low compared to usage it would take a mismanagement from a coach of epic proportions.

If you do believe this is what is occuring (Drew Sample isn't used by design) then I would hope you don't support Zac Taylor. You can't choose both (Drew Sample is good, Zac Taylor is good). You can't draft a tight end in the 2nd round and have play this much and rank this low.

Conclusion

The guy has all the makings of a bum. Looks like bum, plays like a bum... the guy is a bum.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Final stats for 2020

40 receptions, 349 yards, 1 TD, 8.7 YPR

Ranks

Receptions - 22nd
Yards - 29th
TD's - 51st (Tied)
Fantasy (Combines Rec, Yards, and TD's) - 37th

Now, like I've been saying this entire time, these stats look all the worse when you consider usage and opportunity.  You have to remember, a lot of TE's in this league rotate and share snaps.  And a lot of TE's play in offenses that throw less.  Let's see where Sample stacks in these categories.

Usage/Opportunity

Snaps played - 6th
Passing Offense (attempts) - 14th

So Drew Sample played the 6th most snaps this season at tight end (only 20 snaps behind Travis Kelce), and he played in an offense that threw the ball a slightly above average rate.  His composite receiving statistics rank him at the 37th most productive tight end.

I mean, I guess your only argument could be that Zac Taylor just simply refuses to use the tight end.  And even that is a tough sell.  These numbers are so low compared to usage it would take a mismanagement from a coach of epic proportions.  

If you do believe this is what is occuring (Drew Sample isn't used by design) then I would hope you don't support Zac Taylor.  You can't choose both (Drew Sample is good, Zac Taylor is good).  You can't draft a tight end in the 2nd round and have play this much and rank this low.

Conclusion

The guy has all the makings of a bum.  Looks like bum, plays like a bum... the guy is a bum.

The only thing I'll say is that I didn't see a whole lot of footballs thrown sample's way.  How many did he catch versus what was thrown his way?
Reply/Quote
Last year Tyler Eifert, who was a shell of his former self, had more receptions (43), TD’s (3), and yards (436) than Sample did this season. And that was with him only starting 4 games, and competing with Uzomah.

Sample OTOH started 13 games this season, and had literally no competition. Guy is an absolute non-factor in the passing game.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:24 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: The only thing I'll say is that I didn't see a whole lot of footballs thrown sample's way.  How many did he catch versus what was thrown his way?

Alot of Samples catches were of the chip and release kind.
Rarely did he catch a pass where he was blowing past the secondary.
He was the check down option. In other words, a afterthought.
Even in the red zone he was barely used when it came time
To throw. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Another bum performance by Sample today.  3 catches 21 yards.  Average target was thrown for probably all of  3 or 4 yards.  This in game where we threw the ball 36 times, and I think everyone came within 20 yards and in (dink and dunk).

I'm not sure you couldn't pluck pretty much every single backup in the league off someone's bench and have the successfully run these types of routes.

Bum city.

So, in your world, does Sample get to pick the routes he runs and is it his choice how many passes go his way instead of to Boyd or Higgins?
How many passes did Sample drop?  You want to say he's a bum because he is not being targeted like he is the one drawing up the plays.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So, in your world, does Sample get to pick the routes he runs and is it his choice how many passes go his way instead of to Boyd or Higgins?
How many passes did Sample drop?  You want to say he's a bum because he is not being targeted like he is the one drawing up the plays.

Why’d your boy take him in the 2nd round if he wasn’t going to use him?

Reply/Quote