Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-20-2018, 05:08 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: You get yourself into a mess when you start using that kind of rating boost to compensate for harder defenses in the playoffs

Just adding the playoff games and regular season ratings into one rating is the simplest, easiest and most fair way to do it. 

You believe a small thing like including a SINGLE playoff game with the seasons games is outrageously unfair, yet a huge thing like excluding basically half of the top qb's in the league is totally fair, nice logic with that.

I did not suggest any type of "rating boost ". All i did was say all qbs have to be rabked on an equal basis. Every league every where understands this. All league leaders and statistacal rankings are based on regular season because that is the only way to treat them all equal.  

Have no idea what you mean by excluding half of starting qbs.
Reply/Quote
Everyone forgets while Dalton isn't the best deep ball QB in football he's solid but he's also very accurate at the short and intermediate levels. He has some of the best ball placement in the NFL to go along with one of the quickest releases. Dalton achilles heal has and will likely always be his footwork.

I'd like them to look at QBs this year in the draft but that doesn't mean they need to force a 1st round QB pick. Only take one if they fall on love with the prospect.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 10:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: '09 Ced Benson and '13 Marvin Jones are the only guys that i can recall off the top of my head who balled out and didn't do anything stupid to counteract it. But...did a lot of marvs yards come at the end of the game? I can't recall.

JJo had a pick six at Houston.....other than those three....nothing rings a bell.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 05:06 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I don't like the qb rating because its off 10 times more than it should be. 

On a 50 yard throw for a TD and a 50 yard throw to the one yard line you get

158 to 118 ratings.  30% difference in ratings. 
7 - 6.8              3% difference in points produced. 
30% / 3% is a 10 times difference. 

Way to only talk about the 30% part and intentionally ignore the other part about the points produced from the throw 3%.

300% compared to what. Should it be 100% ? If so its only off by 3 fold .

If this is true this makes the brickwallblitzs formula more accurate than the qb rating . Keep manipulating the data and try again.  

Umm, there is no 0.2 or 3%difference in points produced. One produces 6 points the other produces 0 points. That's a HUGE difference.

Also, one 50 yard pass for a TD gets the exact same QB rating as a 50 yard pass to the one followed by a 1 yard pass for a TD.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 05:33 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: PFF and football outsiders are analytics sites, not sports media sites. They use fair unbiased formulas to calculate players ratings.  Way to nitpick line an old granny on meaningless things like whether analytics sites count as sports media when you know they don't.  Now go give Matilda the attention she deserves

.....aaaaannnnnnnddddddd the PFF site had him ranked in the top 10 on the deep ball in the link I provided to you, contrary to what you said.  The football outsiders link you used has some rather subjective analysis (hint...could be construed as bias), as was pointed out to you by fred.  Try the Speak n Spell or Hooked on Phonics program as a remedial aid in your reading comprehension journey that you sorely need to embark on. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 05:17 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Why use all those stats when they're used inside the qb rating itself. That's just useless information. The qb rating algorithm uses all those stats and outputs a single rating.

Your numbers show Dalton 23 out of 35 in qb rating. That's below average like I've said. So your stat agrees with me that Dalton is below average, yet you claim everything I have said is unfounded and completely untrue.  

You agree with me and don't agree me. Nice one dunning krueger, very logical.  

Why are you trying to refute his point using QB rating considering the following:
(12-20-2018, 05:06 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I don't like the qb rating because its off 10 times more than it should be. 

You don't like the QB rating when it's used to prop up Dalton, but have no problem using it to tear him down. There's a word for someone like you, but I'm not going to say it right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 12:19 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Appreciate the compliment! Or another realist. What exactly has this team shown that makes you believe that after 3 consecutive years of no playoffs they can get there next year? The core group of AJ, Geno, and Dunlap will all be 30+ years old before start of next season. Not that they can't be productive at 30+, but that's typically the age where you start to see a drop off in production except at the QB and offensive line positions. Kirkpatrick will turn 30 during the season. Will they resign Dennard? Does he even want to be here? The offensive line is still obviously an issue. Glenn has not been what they thought he would be. Hart is terrible. Price has had some moments but has struggled at times. Redmond can't get out of his own way.

I just see way too many holes on this team to win more than 4-6 games next year. Yes, injuries have decimated the team this year. Yes, they started 4-1, but was that really that impressive? First game for Andrew Luck in nearly 2 years, and they were still driving for game-winning TD when Doyle coughed it up. Beat a very average Miami team at home where the offense didn't play well at all. Beat a bad Atlanta team in the last seconds. Definitely played their best game of the season in the Thursday night win over Baltimore.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think they are the worst team in the division next year. They are still trying to recover from bad 1st and 2nd round recent draft picks. We know they won't be very active in free agency. How do all the holes get filled? I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

No, you're right.....unless they DO surprise us all with a huge offseason.  Don't hold our breath, right?

Having said all of that, I often wonder what the team would look like with some innovative and better coaching.  However, as you noted, they better get in a hurry with that if they aim to do anything with this core of players.....time stands still for no one.

At the start of the season, I said 9-7 would likely be the ceiling, as (like you said again) there were too many holes to patch in one offseason.  I said that would be a pretty damn solid turnaround, all things considered.  I did not foresee such a dreadful start for the defense though, I thought it would be the offense struggling early.  I stand by that prediction if not for the avalanche of injuries.  I think they would have been 8-8, or 9-7.  That's not spectacular by any measure of the word....but it would have been better than the previous two seasons, obviously.

If the team is interested in winning, it has to start with a big move on the coaching staff first and foremost, in my opinion.  Then we let them decide on personnel.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 12:42 PM)Synric Wrote: Everyone forgets while Dalton isn't the best deep ball QB in football he's solid but he's also very accurate at the short and intermediate levels. He has some of the best ball placement in the NFL to go along with one of the quickest releases. Dalton achilles heal has and will likely always be his footwork.

Agree with all of this....although the numbers do show that he is pretty good on the deep post and deep up the seams.  It's the outside deep throws where the numbers nosedive.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 05:21 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Driskel admitted not having thrown to Green during any practices.

Then not having Green to throw to in games is not going to negatively affect him like it would Dalotn.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 05:12 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Nope

(12-20-2018, 05:13 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Nope

(12-20-2018, 05:17 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Nope

(12-20-2018, 05:21 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Nope

If you think i'm going to go back and forth with you on the absolutely ridiculous and erroneous things you say--then walk back claiming you didn't say it--you're crazy, junior. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 12:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: JJo had a pick six at Houston.....other than those three....nothing rings a bell.

That was Leon Hall, i believe. Either way, i wouldn't consider one play a good game...though a pick 6 is much better than a simple int...so i dunno. Big Grin

Fact is, way too many negative things and not nearly enough positive things.  Cry

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 01:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why are you trying to refute his point using QB rating considering the following:

You don't like the QB rating when it's used to prop up Dalton, but have no problem using it to tear him down. There's a word for someone like you, but I'm not going to say it right now.

LOL. That's why i'm not going to bother debating him on anything. 

He talks out of both sides of his ass.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 12:10 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was Leon Hall, i believe. Either way, i wouldn't consider one play a good game...though a pick 6 is much better than a simple int...so i dunno. Big Grin

Fact is, way too many negative things and not nearly enough positive things.  Cry

You are probably right, I don't remember for sure who it was.  True, but I think that was the only TD we scored that day?

That is a fact.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 04:34 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Also, Driskel has been sacked 9 times already. I definitely think we are overrating the kid's athleticism.

People overestimate athletic QBs being able to run away from sacks in general. Running QBs like Vick and Russell Wilson are often some of the most sacked QBs in the league. Either because they can't scan the field like a pocket QB or they run around too much (which causes huge losses), or they scramble instead of stepping into the pocket, or various other reasons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 12:02 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you think i'm going to go back and forth with you on the absolutely ridiculous and erroneous things you say--then walk back claiming you didn't say it--you're crazy, junior. 

This thread needs:

[Image: VqlMj4h.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Does the OP wanna walk this statement back a lil bit?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
To be fair to Jeff he also plays under lousy coaching, has a terrible line and has zero receivers to throw the ball to. As with Dalton the shit show is a team effort. Still, between those two you obviously take Dalton.

Reply/Quote
Lol @ all the “Driskel should be the starter” camp.

He is painful to watch.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 09:07 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Lol @ all the “Driskel should be the starter” camp.

He is painful to watch.

Seen Dalton have worse games, with better weapons. Just saying. Of course, Dalton has had better games and more of them. But I don't see Dalton doing much with Ross, Erickson and Core as his receivers.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 09:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Seen Dalton have worse games, with better weapons. Just saying. Of course, Dalton has had better games and more of them. But I don't see Dalton doing much with Ross, Erickson and Core as his receivers.

This isn’t a Dalton argument. I’ve been saying for weeks I’m ready to move on from him.

But Jeff Driakel is far from the answer. So if forced to pick Between the two, it’s Dalton hands down.

But I don’t want either one. I’ve never been more ready for change.

Owner, coach QB, etc. at this point nobody should be safe.

In closing, Jeff Driskel is poo on a stick.

Reply/Quote