Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driskell vs Barkley
I know this is the forums and its anything goes, within the rules, but it still amazes me that, even though the thread states specifically to put the MB/ML hats on between the 2 backup QBs on the roster, that we have a 99.9% assurance one will be selected in the 53, we still get guys who can't leave their couch coaching out of ONE thread???  Smirk  

It's a spectacle to watch unfold!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 06:06 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know this is the forums and its anything goes, within the rules, but it still amazes me that, even though the thread states specifically to put the MB/ML hats on between the 2 backup QBs on the roster, that we have a 99.9% assurance one will be selected in the 53, we still get guys who can't leave their couch coaching out of ONE thread???  Smirk  

Problem is we cant see everything like ML does. in practice.... If we are just going by game film I think what will happen next game is driskel will get the series with the 1st string OL like Barkley did game 1.    
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 06:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Problem is we cant see everything like ML does. in practice.... If we are just going by game film I think what will happen next game is driskel will get the series with the 1st string OL like Barkley did game 1.    

Your right XM.  We can't see everything ML does, and we aren't privy to the practices and coaches' meetings that go on AFTER practice, but that doesn't stop the 'couch coach' in us does it?

Of course not.  This is the place where we 'pretend' we are MB and ML regardless of what info we are privy too!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 02:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It DOES matter because they are the HC and Owner.  History or no history, they have the final say so.  They might ask for Lazor's opinion, but final say so is up to them.

I'm confused. You asked what they most likely will do. Based on their history, they're NOT going to go with unproven (in the regular season) Driskel over Barkley who they signed because of his previous relationship with Lazor.

Even last year, i thought Driskel should have been the primary backup and that hasn't changed. But, if you want to know what Merv and Mike are going to do, it's go with the "proven" QB with a relationship to the OC.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 06:06 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know this is the forums and its anything goes, within the rules, but it still amazes me that, even though the thread states specifically to put the MB/ML hats on between the 2 backup QBs on the roster, that we have a 99.9% assurance one will be selected in the 53, we still get guys who can't leave their couch coaching out of ONE thread???  Smirk  

You've been around here long enough to realize that there's no room for tears, when a thread derails..

I mean, you obviously saw my response.  It was comedic, but pretty much accurate.  The Bengals should throw both Barkley and Driskell to the scrap heap, and pick up the next best thing.  The first wave of cuts will most likely feature some veteran backup QBs that are being replaced with new blood.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was hoping before the season started Driskel would win the back up role.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You've been around here long enough to realize that there's no room for tears, when a thread derails..

I mean, you obviously saw my response.  It was comedic, but pretty much accurate.  The Bengals should throw both Barkley and Driskell to the scrap heap, and pick up the next best thing.  The first wave of cuts will most likely feature some veteran backup QBs that are being replaced with new blood.

I thought  don't know was an answer.  Ninja
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 06:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm confused. You asked what they most likely will do. Based on their history, they're NOT going to go with unproven (in the regular season) Driskel over Barkley who they signed because of his previous relationship with Lazor.

Even last year, i thought Driskel should have been the primary backup and that hasn't changed. But, if you want to know what Merv and Mike are going to do, it's go with the "proven" QB with a relationship to the OC.

You were saying it doesn't matter that Driskell has more to offer.  My bad, I thought the doesn't matter was directed to what will MB and ML do.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I turned the game off after the 1st half. Did the drunk kid play?

Yes. I did end up taking a coupla snaps last night.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You've been around here long enough to realize that there's no room for tears

It was comedic, but pretty much accurate.  

1.  Tears?  The spectacle is free comedy.

2.  Your post being comedic, is a matter of opinion.

3.  This is not even in the same universe as being accurate to what MB/ML will do.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I turned the game off after the 1st half. Did the drunk kid play?

The drink Kidd as far as I am aware of has yet to participate in team drills.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I thought Driskell looked ok for his first NFL action. Maybe we should give him a couple more games and then see if he's worth a backup.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:44 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I thought Driskell looked ok for his first NFL action. Maybe we should give him a couple more games and then see if he's worth a backup.

Driskell was around last year, not his first action.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 1.  Tears?  The spectacle is free comedy.

2.  Your post being comedic, is a matter of opinion.

3.  This is not even in the same universe as being accurate to what MB/ML will do.

Wow, I had no idea that you were so ultra sensitive.  I'll refrain from posting in your threads in the future.   Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Driskell was around last year, not his first action.

You're right. He saw action last preseason against the Bucs and did well enough for the Bengals to keep him on the roster. They must think pretty highly of him.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/08/jeff-driskel-needs-replicate-2017-preseason-impact/935106002/

Quote:He completed 8 of 9 passes for 97 yards and a touchdown, then ran five times for 34 yards and another score. The touchdown run made nearly every national highlight show as he spun one linebacker and made two would-be tacklers run into each other in his 18-yard spurt.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, I had no idea that you were so ultra sensitive.  I'll refrain from posting in your threads in the future.   Mellow

Sensitive?   Cool  Do you REALLY BELIEVE that Brown will release Barkley and Driskell, and sign someon else, which is what you indicated as being accurate, or was it an attempt at comedy??  IF you sincerely believe that's what they will do, then I sincerely apologize!  Wink
Reply/Quote
I like Driskell a whole lot more.

More upside, more athleticism, bigger arm (it seems), younger and has even, to this point, performed better.
Reply/Quote
I like Driscoll a lot....
he looked really good in a preseason game last year too....
I think it was against the 49ers..?

if Dalton went down, Driscoll could fill in fine...
he's 6' 4"s, smart, good arm, & fast.....
relax.....
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 09:43 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Sensitive?   Cool  Do you REALLY BELIEVE that Brown will release Barkley and Driskell, and sign someon else, which is what you indicated as being accurate, or was it an attempt at comedy??  IF you sincerely believe that's what they will do, then I sincerely apologize!  Wink

This has been the offseason of uncharacteristic moves by the Bengals.  Why would anyone think that they are done, now?

I've been saying for a while that I don't think that our starting Right Tackle is on the roster, yet.  Perhaps the same can be said for the backup QB position?  

The premise of your OP sought to put everyone's thinking into a little box, with limited options to work with.  But, fortunately during this offseason we have seen moves made that were out of the ordinary, in terms of Mike Brown normal.  So, I'm sticking with that.  Scrap 'em both, and pick up the best of the released on cutdown day.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 09:04 PM)BengalRed Wrote: You're right. He saw action last preseason against the Bucs and did well enough for the Bengals to keep him on the roster. They must think pretty highly of him.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/08/jeff-driskel-needs-replicate-2017-preseason-impact/935106002/

I remember that game....I was thinking it was the49ers....
But Driscoll played great....had one fantastic run for a TD....
he's a keeper... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote